Norfolk, VA
Tidewater Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tidewater Community College

Chelsea

Tidewater Community College is known for many things. However there is one aspect that comes to mind: its large, diverse enrolled population. TCC is not for a particular "type" of individual. It's equally a great experience for recent highschool graduates as it is for parents who are trying to balance family, careers, and education all at once.

Overall, I am very content with the decisions I made in high school. I took courses that gave college credit, allowing me to have a much more flexible schedule currently, and I took pride in my good grades. However, I would tell myself to improve my concentration skills. Focus on what the teacher has to say while still taking good notes, but make sure not to listen "too" hard. I found myself trying to interpret every last word that my AP Biology teacher said, as if there were a hidden meaning. There wasn't, and there were many times where I ended up missing a lot of information! Just focus on the big picture, and if a detail sounds important, jot it down. Don't get carried away!

I have no complaints about the professors or the location. The worst thing about Tidewater Community College is its sheer population. There are so many newly enrolled students each semester that general elective classes are filled within a few days, and parking tends to be a hassle. However, there has been talk of hiring new teachers to accomodate the student body, and parking lots are being built.

Christina

The flexibility of classes and the times at which they are provided are really convinient for me as an older student.

If I could go back to 2001 I would have tried to convince myself to go to college after High School. The economy is terrible right now and trying to find work is next to impossible for people who don't have college degrees. I would have told myself that continuing education would have been the best way to secure a career in the future, a career that I would have loved to work in, one that would have been part of my waking life. I also would have tried to teach my younger self to be more patient and not worry so much about things we cannot control in life, to treasure friends and family more because I will wind up losing touch with some of the most important and influencial people I have ever known. To tell myself its okay to stand out, to be different, never lose touch with who I really am; that losing yourself to make others happy is no way to live. To never give up and settle for less than I deserve, to use my full potential and never sell myself short.

Honestly, the snacks in the machines are way too expensive, no joke.

Krystal

I would tell myself to be more on the ball and don't procrastinate. Also working hard really does pay off in the end, even if it seems like theres no use. Lastly I would advise myself to not do more than I can handle, take it slow.

I haven't come across realy anything bad about TCC. The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is the financial aid office works too slow doesn't have enough representitives.

Really there is no one that shouldn't attend TCC, it's a great transition/inbetween school and money saver. It's also great if you want to go back to college to finish something or to just learn more.

Luke

Every human being allocates each aspect of his or her life into a mental hierarchy of importance. With age, these rankings of what one deems to be essential are subject to great change as experience and wisdom affect one's outlook on life. As a typical high school student, the preoccupations that I often regarded of inestimable value typically centered around my daily appearance, hoping for social acceptance, and wondering whether the most popular girl at school would ever reciprocate the feelings I had for her. The common trend of these trivialities dealt with what others thought about me. With what little knowledge I have acquired in my two years of pursuing higher education, if I was granted the chance to speak with my former self, I would advise myself to shift the structure of the aforementioned mental hierarchy and exchange my frivolous goals for ones with substantial and beneficial outcomes. I would suggest that these new goals include academic achievement and improved planning for higher education. Had this conversation taken place, the odds are that I would not be attending a community college and writing essays in hopes of financial assistance for the latter half of my undergraduate education.

If I had to choose one type of person that should not attend Tidewater Community College, it would be someone who is not dedicated to working hard in an attempt to further his or her personal life and become an upstanding citizen of the United States of America. I do believe, however, that everyone deserves a chance to broaden his or her educational oppurtunities, and Tidewater Community College provides people with that oppurtunity.

My experience with TCC has been mostly positive. However, if I had to pick the most frustrating aspect of Tidewater Community College, it would be the overall inefficiency of the registration process. On occasion, I have had to wait for more than 1 1/2 hours to speak with a counselor.

tericka

TCC is known for their great academic programs. TCC assist their students with transferring to a four year univeristy to further their education. They also have lots of campus activities to be a community college.

I would tell myself go to a junio college first. Apply for as many scholarships as posisble. Get involved with campus activities and dont be afraid to venture out and try new things. I would tell myself to stive hard in high school and develop study habits.

I wish I would have went to this school before going to a four year university. The tuition is cheaper and I feel that I learned more at this school than at the four year instuition.

Kristleena

Plan your time wisely and do not put off your assignments. There is only today to do the school work because tomorrow never comes and you eventually fall behind and get snowballed.

People how procrastinate and do not know how to manage their time should not attend college.

Finding parking is honestly one of the most frustrating things about college.

Catherine

Having been one of those students who just got by, college was not where I wanted to be. Sitting back and seeing me then, I know it was all about fear of the unkown and stepping out of comfort zones. College can be a wonderful place to build the foundations of your life. To fine tune what you have accomplished the last twelve years, or to give those years an educational purpose. Many people do "get by" fine without that college experience, and lead healthy, successful lives. But, college, whether two or four, or beyond, can be the firing mechanism that helps you reach for so much more than 'here and now'. It can change your life. More so , it can help you change the world around you. College is about learning about life. Don't be afraid of what could be. (And if you think you're afraid, you can bet you're not in that boat alone!) So, no, don't stay in the boat of "ok". Get out and experience the joy of the water!

That even though you may not want a full four year degree, it is well worth the time to accomplish the basics at the Community College level. That way, you have a strong foundation. Should the time come to go beyond the two year, or simply prove to yourself and future employers that you have the abillity to see something through, the hardest part is over. You can begin to build on what you've set in motion.

If you are unsure of your abilities to succeed, you should come - to grow, develop and mature. If you know you can succeed, you should come. - as one who can help others. If you are young, set positive foundations. If you are old, build on those foundations you already have.

Deborah

If I couold go back in time to the time I was a senior in high school, I would have been a little more assertive about talking to my high school counsellor about my further educational options. I would not have let my social position and perceptions of the type of people who go on to college prohibit me from doing that. I had let me preconcieved knowledge and lack of knowledge and understanding delay my college until later in life. The transition to college from high school would have been smoother and not quite so initimidating as it was after having three children and then going back to school.

The credits from TCC transfer and they are accredited for the field of study I have chosen.

The type of person that should not attend this school is someone who is not serious about a good education. Tidewater Community College offers a wide variety of studies and prides itself on have credits that transfers to four year schools. Anyone that is studying the healthcare industry should be absolutely serious about their studies and the carrer path they have chosen.. They will be a major factor in the quality of life for the people they care for.

I couldn?t go back in time to my senior year because I only made it to ninth grade. My family became homeless after my parent lost their jobs to the over sea market. I had a choice to help support my family or school. Many years later, I study hard and received my GED. If I could go back in time it would be to my freshman year of high school. I would tell myself; not to give up yet, because college is so rewarding. I would tell myself; that there is no chance to live a comfortable life with out a college education. I would give myself all the most know skinny on all the professors! That many of them will lock the door if you are late, so always be on time! Never get discourage, because there are many people in college that is going through the same thing, and they will move mountains to finish college. The number thing I would tell myself if I could go back in time would be never give up!

Tricia

I would tell myself to take a lighter class load the first two semesters, until you feel like you have adjusted and can handle a heavier load. Try to narrow down a major/majors as best you can. That way you don't find yourself switching majors mid-way. Don't slack off in any way. It is easy to do because you are incharge of being there on time and keeping up on your grades. No more parent/teacher confrences! I would tell myself to get more involved in campus organizations/ committees. Ask for help once I noticed that I was struggling in a class or area of study. Take advantage of every opportunity to get assistance and utilize study groups, fellow students or tutors. I would also strongly recommend that you set yourself up financially(scholarships, grants,etc.), so that you don't have to work two part-time jobs to pay your way through college. It is very stressfull when you struggle finacially and it makes it so much harder to concentrate on your classes. Last but not least, even though college is serious, have fun and enjoy it!!!

Tidewater Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.