Norfolk, VA
Tidewater Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tidewater Community College

Kandice

I believe that Tidewater Community College's motto says a lot about the campus; From here, go anywhere.

I would tell myself not to get distracted by college life because it can cause you to slack off. Be prepared for the unexpected by not waiting till the last minute to study. Reading assignments are there for a reason, even if you have to read it more than once. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask them. If you need help, don't be ashamed to ask. Get plenty of sleep because lectures can make you tired. Read and review the course's syllabus. Don't let one grade get you discouraged.

The online courses are a good route to take as long as you have the discipline to do your work.

Liana

Tidewater Community College is very open and spacious.

Tidewater Community College is very open and spacious.

The advice I would give myself would be to get all of your classes, books, and financial stuff done as soon as possible. It is best if you meet with a counseler so that you know what classes to take and when to take them. When you apply for your classes make sure that you make a good schedule with your classes because if you don't you will be lost on what to do and when to do it. As far as your books go, you don't always have to get new books. You can get used books which will be cheaper and you can also return them or you can sell them. All fo your financial stuff should be done as soon as possible. If you have to get Financial Aid you should do that months before tution is due and before classes start. The sooner you get stuff done, the better it will be for you. That's the advice I would give myself if I could go back in time.

The most frustrating thing about Tidewater Community College is that parking is ridiculious. In order for you to get to class on time you have to be at the school at least 30 minutes before your class starts just to get a parking spot. It doesnt matter if its a good or bad parking spot, as long as you get a parking spot and your at class on time thats all that matters. Parking at Tidewater Community College is very frustrating because people are rude. The school needs to make more parking spaces for the students and faculty.

Dana

Associate degrees with tranfer programs

Associate degrees with tranfer programs

I would say even when you think working full time and going to school is hard take a minium of two classes at all times, so that when you start full time using my GI Bill as I am now I will have more credits completed as well as to take the math classes first and get them out of the way!

Older students, students that work full time or have a fix income.

Anna

Tcc is an a great school with quality learning for an affordable price, this school has my major and is very close to my home.

To have motivation, give your 100%, don't slack off

The best thing at Tcc is everything the professors, the classes, and the affordable tutution.

Chih-Yao

I am so glad to go to college to get my education because that's the teaching from the prophet of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints. Now I realize how important to study for I can make my country and family better. The reasons why I mention about this situation are 1. The knowledge at the college is deeper and wider than in a high school, and it can explore your mind and thought. 2. The way you pursue the knowledge from the books and the professors will make your attitude and sight different so whatever you will do in the future will be more sufficient and more successful. 3. The relationship with everyone surrounded you will be closer because you guys are pursuing your dreams together. 4. You will get more chances to have a good job. I am happy to have a chance to get a higher education in my life and I know it will make YOUR life more vivid.

Matthew

Tidewater Community College (TCC) is well known for being a good start to college. It allows students to stay near home and attend for much cheaper tution then other state schools. The classes sizes are modest and the schedules are flexible, allowing students to work while in school to support themselves. All in all, TCC is the school for students who cannot afford a larger school and need to work to substain themselves while attending college.

If I were able to go back in time to talk to my high school self, I would enlighten myself to some things that would be coming around the bend. I would have encouraged myself to be more concerned with my grades and attentiveness to school. I would share with the younger version of me how much easier the transition to college would have been if I took college level classes in high school instead of taking the easier route. My best advice for my self would also be to align my classes and goals in high school to achieve my goals in college. I now know that a career in medicine is my goal and to make it into a medical school. I would share this with the young me, so that I could get into the medical program offered by a local high school as opposed to slacking off during my senior year. Hopefully these pieces of advice would help the high school me enough to make the transition to college just a bit easier.

The worst thing about Tidewater Community College (TCC) is that it does not offer four year degrees. The four campus in Hampton Roads offer all the course to complete a Bachelors degree, yet it is not offered. Therefore, you must transfer to a four year school to get a Bachelors. This is a disadvantage because some classes do not transfer and the tuition at four years schools are significantly more expensive. Besides that one draw back, TCC is a great school.

Sandra

You have your whole life ahead of you. You can be, do and have anything in life if you put your mind and heart into it. The experience and knowlegde you would gain from going to college is priceless. Think about all of the fun you would have running the halls of the dormitory. The forever bond of the friends you would make and keep is extraordinary. College would be alot of hard work and you must put forth a lot of time for your studies. But, If you do what you have to do, you can do what you want to do in the end. High School is not the end of your like it is just the opposite. Going to college is the beginning of the rest of your life. Take this opportunity and enjoy being young and don't rush to grow up you have plenty of time for that. Be smart and don't hesitate to ask for advice and guidence from your parents or another adult. Your education is your number one priority and don't let anyone stop you from getting it.

They told me everything I needed to know before I had enrolled. The counselors are great and they give good guidence.

I do not have one bad thing to say about my school.

Angela

Tidewater Community College is wonderful.

Tidewater Community College is wonderful.

In High School I took cooking classes but did not take the educational path of Culinary Arts serious at the time in my life. I had a son while young so my focus was directed more to graduating and taking care of him rather than pursing my career. I am proud that I was successful in maintaining the welfare of my son and keeping up with my grades resulting in graduation but I really wish I had continued on the path to Culinary Arts. Even though I never stopped cooking and never stopped dreaming, I definitely would be further than I am in my area of specialty. Having influential people in my life encouraged me to stay in the field that I love. I not only encourage myself , that are in doubt, all that have responsibilities of family and all single mothers to never give up your dream.

At this point, I do not consider anything worst about Tidewater Community College. I really have enjoyed the staff, teachers and students, all have been really wonderful and great.

Bettyn

If I had the chance to go back and talk to "little Betty", I would sit and have a SERIOUS talk with her. First of all, I would tell her that in order to get into any good school, your grades have to look like you care. Bad grades will only lead to an average life. Knowing "little Betty", she wants more in life than that. There are countries to visit, famous people to meet, delicious food to eat, and in order to be able to experience the best of what life has to offer you, education comes first. I would also let her know that she needs to start searching for scholarships to schools. There are hundreds of grants and scholarships out there that are just waiting for the ver thirsty student to apply and persevere for. All we have to do is look. She would know that the world is tough, and if you do not have an education to back you up, you will have trouble finding a good job. I would let her know that a career is better than having just a job, because people pay more for you when you have a career.

No one. I think that everyone should have a fair advantage to an education. Some schools will not take students based on their credentials in high school, but to be totally honest, we're all just kids. We have to learn and need someone to be in our corner even with school.

I am really frustrated that the tuition has gone up, but we are not able to have all the necessary supplies we need. I am a Culinary Arts major, and we were told that we had to make cuts on food. That's like telling an art major that there isn't anymore paper or paint!

Tidewater Community College offers two year course plans for specific career tracks, and offers the ability to transfer to an accredited four year college, such as Old Dominion University, and Norfolk State University.

Knowing everything that I know today about college and the real world, I would have told myself to be more prepared. I was not very motivated in high school, hence why I did not attend college right after graduation. I would have looked for more scholarships and loans so that I would not have to deal with the stress of working full time and attending school full time, when I was not prepared. I should have been more organized, and I have learned my lesson from that.

Any kind of person should attend this school, but I specificially think it is very helpful for people that might be nervous to attend a large university first, so they can start at Tidewater Community first and work their way up.

Tidewater Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.