Tidewater Community College

« See more reviews of Tidewater Community College

Every human being allocates each aspect of his or her life into a mental hierarchy of importance. With age, these rankings of what one deems to be essential are subject to great change as experience and wisdom affect one's outlook on life. As a typical high school student, the preoccupations that I often regarded of inestimable value typically centered around my daily appearance, hoping for social acceptance, and wondering whether the most popular girl at school would ever reciprocate the feelings I had for her. The common trend of these trivialities dealt with what others thought about me. With what little knowledge I have acquired in my two years of pursuing higher education, if I was granted the chance to speak with my former self, I would advise myself to shift the structure of the aforementioned mental hierarchy and exchange my frivolous goals for ones with substantial and beneficial outcomes. I would suggest that these new goals include academic achievement and improved planning for higher education. Had this conversation taken place, the odds are that I would not be attending a community college and writing essays in hopes of financial assistance for the latter half of my undergraduate education.

It is unquestionable that the Alicia 36 has multiple gifts of information for Alicia 17.Narrowing down the different areas; I will speak about parenting, education and fashion. At my current age, I can appreciate what it takes to become a successful parent. Between the day to day, extra- curricular activities and medical appointments I stay busy, not to mention the stress of being a full-time employee and student, wife and mom. I would explain that the lessons my parents taught me about being appreciative, developing good work ethic and importance of family are beneficial and not “STUPID”. The whole I send you to school to learn phrase and not a fashion show means more to me today then in 1994. In 1994, I refused to wear clothing without a name brand, carrying a book bag what not allow passerby’s eyes to take in my . Little did I not know that these passerby’s eyes were not looking at me but past me. The algebra classes would prove beneficial applying for mortgages. Solving for “x” determines whether I will be bring my lunch or be able to take a nice trip to the café in my office building.

I would tell myself to take a lighter class load the first two semesters, until you feel like you have adjusted and can handle a heavier load. Try to narrow down a major/majors as best you can. That way you don't find yourself switching majors mid-way. Don't slack off in any way. It is easy to do because you are incharge of being there on time and keeping up on your grades. No more parent/teacher confrences! I would tell myself to get more involved in campus organizations/ committees. Ask for help once I noticed that I was struggling in a class or area of study. Take advantage of every opportunity to get assistance and utilize study groups, fellow students or tutors. I would also strongly recommend that you set yourself up financially(scholarships, grants,etc.), so that you don't have to work two part-time jobs to pay your way through college. It is very stressfull when you struggle finacially and it makes it so much harder to concentrate on your classes. Last but not least, even though college is serious, have fun and enjoy it!!!

If I had the chance to go back and talk to "little Betty", I would sit and have a SERIOUS talk with her. First of all, I would tell her that in order to get into any good school, your grades have to look like you care. Bad grades will only lead to an average life. Knowing "little Betty", she wants more in life than that. There are countries to visit, famous people to meet, delicious food to eat, and in order to be able to experience the best of what life has to offer you, education comes first. I would also let her know that she needs to start searching for scholarships to schools. There are hundreds of grants and scholarships out there that are just waiting for the ver thirsty student to apply and persevere for. All we have to do is look. She would know that the world is tough, and if you do not have an education to back you up, you will have trouble finding a good job. I would let her know that a career is better than having just a job, because people pay more for you when you have a career.

Dude, I'm you from the future, and I don''t got as much time as I'd love to have. See the resemblance and ID and everything? Yeah? Good. So here's what I've got to say to you. There's alot of stuff you gotta do, but its okay to mope for a couple of minutes when something goes wrong, no need to always fake a smile or else you'll burst one day. But don't linger on it too long or you'll wind up hurting yourself and others. As far as appearances and friends go, you gotta get out more. Its okay to be a little passive, but you gotta take the initiative sometimes. if you wanna explore and try out some new things or even invite a friend over. Ditch some poisonous friends though. Clothing and jank? The inside may be what counts, but the outer normally reflects the inner, so stay classy. Do some self-discovery, research, and some cynical analysis and figure out what you wanna do in life. Find out early so you can get started early, and remember to rely on others for help, you aren't alone

If I could go back to 2001 I would have tried to convince myself to go to college after High School. The economy is terrible right now and trying to find work is next to impossible for people who don't have college degrees. I would have told myself that continuing education would have been the best way to secure a career in the future, a career that I would have loved to work in, one that would have been part of my waking life. I also would have tried to teach my younger self to be more patient and not worry so much about things we cannot control in life, to treasure friends and family more because I will wind up losing touch with some of the most important and influencial people I have ever known. To tell myself its okay to stand out, to be different, never lose touch with who I really am; that losing yourself to make others happy is no way to live. To never give up and settle for less than I deserve, to use my full potential and never sell myself short.

You have your whole life ahead of you. You can be, do and have anything in life if you put your mind and heart into it. The experience and knowlegde you would gain from going to college is priceless. Think about all of the fun you would have running the halls of the dormitory. The forever bond of the friends you would make and keep is extraordinary. College would be alot of hard work and you must put forth a lot of time for your studies. But, If you do what you have to do, you can do what you want to do in the end. High School is not the end of your like it is just the opposite. Going to college is the beginning of the rest of your life. Take this opportunity and enjoy being young and don't rush to grow up you have plenty of time for that. Be smart and don't hesitate to ask for advice and guidence from your parents or another adult. Your education is your number one priority and don't let anyone stop you from getting it.

Having been one of those students who just got by, college was not where I wanted to be. Sitting back and seeing me then, I know it was all about fear of the unkown and stepping out of comfort zones. College can be a wonderful place to build the foundations of your life. To fine tune what you have accomplished the last twelve years, or to give those years an educational purpose. Many people do "get by" fine without that college experience, and lead healthy, successful lives. But, college, whether two or four, or beyond, can be the firing mechanism that helps you reach for so much more than 'here and now'. It can change your life. More so , it can help you change the world around you. College is about learning about life. Don't be afraid of what could be. (And if you think you're afraid, you can bet you're not in that boat alone!) So, no, don't stay in the boat of "ok". Get out and experience the joy of the water!

If I were able to go back in time to talk to my high school self, I would enlighten myself to some things that would be coming around the bend. I would have encouraged myself to be more concerned with my grades and attentiveness to school. I would share with the younger version of me how much easier the transition to college would have been if I took college level classes in high school instead of taking the easier route. My best advice for my self would also be to align my classes and goals in high school to achieve my goals in college. I now know that a career in medicine is my goal and to make it into a medical school. I would share this with the young me, so that I could get into the medical program offered by a local high school as opposed to slacking off during my senior year. Hopefully these pieces of advice would help the high school me enough to make the transition to college just a bit easier.

I couldn?t go back in time to my senior year because I only made it to ninth grade. My family became homeless after my parent lost their jobs to the over sea market. I had a choice to help support my family or school. Many years later, I study hard and received my GED. If I could go back in time it would be to my freshman year of high school. I would tell myself; not to give up yet, because college is so rewarding. I would tell myself; that there is no chance to live a comfortable life with out a college education. I would give myself all the most know skinny on all the professors! That many of them will lock the door if you are late, so always be on time! Never get discourage, because there are many people in college that is going through the same thing, and they will move mountains to finish college. The number thing I would tell myself if I could go back in time would be never give up!