Tiffin University Top Questions

Darby

If I was able to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry. I would make sure it was clear that I am not making a mistake by choosing to attend Tiffin University. Also, I would tell myself that I would have a chance to meet incredible people and make friends who will be there for me when I need them. I would explain how much I enjoy my classes and the opportunity to learn and gain my Tiffin education. Finally I would reassure my past self that I will be alright and that going to college will not cause me to become someone unfamiliar, but to transform into a happier more confident version of myself.

Lori

We need to talk. Over here, in the mirror. No, you aren't hallucinating, it’s me, your future self. We’ll talk about eye creams later, but right now, let's talk about college. I know you don’t want to go to college because you haven’t figured out what you want to do with your life yet, but you need to change that plan, and go now. You'll love it, I promise, but you need to get it done while you’re young so you can enjoy a family and career later. And you need to put some of your paycheck toward school and not borrow every penny. Don't create a fortune in student loans. You can start small; go to community college, and once you take a few gen ed classes, you will figure out what your passion is. Think big, like doctorate big, in chemistry, medicine, or behavioral sciences. You can do it, I know you can, but let’s do it when your twenty something instead of when you’re forty something, and with a six figure paycheck, not a six figure price tag. Now, about those eye creams…

I would tell myself to expand my mind. College is a place of development and I would need to understand the differences between leaving high school and a sheltered life to going to college in a different city and expanding my mind to the different people, the different views, the multitude of options for classes, careers, activities, etc. I would also tell my high school self that college is not as hard as people make it seem. I would tell myself that college is what I you make; if you make it hard, that is your perception; if you make it easy, that is your perception. Last thing I would tell myself is if you believe you are up for the challenge and are willing to expand your mind, then you can do it.

The adivce I would give myself, if I could go back in time is to fill out more scholarship application. That even though they can be a pain, it would help mom and I in the future. Thank you for considering me.

kristopher

When I was a high school senior I was fearful of the world. With only my mother and sisters to guide me, I leaned on them to help me through every step and challenge that I faced. Going into college I have really grown as a person. I have done things, such as joining a fraternity, Christian outreach programs and various community service projects, that I would have never done without someone accompanying me or just because I was afraid to let go. If I could tell my senior self what to do in college and the transition that I made, I would tell him to never be afraid of exploring new things. Even now I feel that I could do so much more and without the fear of rejection or wanting support holding me back I can enjoy life to the fullest in academics and socially. I would tell him to get out of his comfort zone and stop worrying about life's troubles, but instead to live for now and never tstop to question the opportunities that are in front of you.

Pajah

If I were to offer my high school self some valuable advice based upon what I know now, I would tell myself to have more fun. I was always working hard, always concentrating, studying and preparing for the future. I was so fixated upon what my future would hold that I was not attentive to the present. Slow down, be present. I would tell myself that yes education is important, and you are excelling in it, but communication is also important, socialization is equally essential to success. In high school I had poor communication skills despite my outstanding GPA and it has been a hinderance. Put away the books for just a moment, go to prom, experience the social world and gain confidence. You are already book smart, but you must also be people smart if you wish to successful enter into the professional world.

1.Commit yourself to making lots of mistakes. – Mistakes teach you important lessons. The biggest mistake you can make is doing nothing because you’re too scared to make a mistake. So don’t hesitate – don’t doubt yourself. 2.Find hard work you love doing. – If I could offer my 18-year-old self some real career advice, I’d tell myself not to base my career choice on other people’s ideas, goals and recommendations. 3.Explore new ideas and opportunities often. – Your natural human fears of failure and embarrassment will sometimes stop you from trying new things. 4.People are not mind readers. Tell them what you’re thinking. – People will never know how you feel unless you tell them. 5.Make swift decisions and take immediate action. – Either you’re going to take action and seize new opportunities, or someone else will first. 6.Accept and embrace change. – However good or bad a situation is now, it will change. That’s the one thing you can count on. 7.Ask questions. – The greatest ‘adventure’ is the ability to inquire, to ask questions. 8.Live below your means. – Live a comfortable life, not a wasteful one.

Desiree

I would tell myself to stop procrastinating. I procrastinated a lot as a senior when it came to college. I figured that everything would eventually happen, and while it did I am still regretting it. I would tell myself to stop being lazy and fill out every scholarship possible, even the one's with the essays. I did not realize how much I needed scholarships because college is extremely expensive and I almost did not get a loan in order to go my first year. Every scholarship helps, no matter what the amount is. I would also tell myself to stop worrying so much about what college is like and if I would make friends. College is amazing and I absolutely loved my first year. Friends are so easy to make as long as you don't stay in your room and you put yourself out there. Mainly, I would tell myself to just be yourself and don't try to be someone else. Not everyone is going to like you, but hte right people will. Once you love who you are, the colllege experience becomes so much more memorable. That is the advice I would give myself.

Katrina

Don't let other people affect your decision to which college you are going to attend, you are attending the school not them. Look at what the school has to offer and then the cost of the school. There are many options to attend a school that cost a lot, such as financial aid, grant, work study, summer jobs or jobs outside of school, scholarships, contests, etc. Make sure you have breaks because they can become handy when projects are due. Take the maximum classes you can handle but make sure to plan them well.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take any opportunity that comes around. I studied abroad in Taiwan to learn Mandarin Chinese. Being in a different culture for 10 months, you open your mind up to new things and ideas. Use this to change who you are and better the world. You may not realize it now, but down the road you will do something that can change the world for good. You will encounter many new friendships, adventures and new skills that carry you through anything. Moving from one country to another isn't easy, but it will motivate you even more towards your dreams. Never allow yourself to give up, push through anything and enjoy yourself. You will have your ups and downs, but it'll teach you something in the end. When you leave your friends from around the world, you'll come to the realization that life is a combination of the people whom you spend it with and yourself that make it worth living. Also, listen to mom's words because she will always be there.

Faith

If I could go back into time and talk to myself I would tell myself to get more involved in activities and not be so scared of making new friends. I was to scared to let go of my high school friends and make new friends that by the end of the 2 months I spent every day and night alone. Once you realize that you need to make new friends college becomes a lot more fun. Also, the more activities you get involved in, the more you can add on to you resume. This then makes you have a very good resume because it shows that you are a well rounded person. Also, I would tell myself that I actually have to study for tests and quizes. In high school I could pass a class without studying because they were easier, but college classes are ten times harder. Finally I would tell myself to knock off with senioritis.

As a high school senior, I did not really have any expectations for college life yet. I did not have anyone close to me that went away for school, nor did I have any older siblings go away, so I could not really ask for much advice. The thoughts that did go through my head, though, were mostly worries. I worried about money, my living conditions, and the athletic team I would be competing for. I also worried about missing my family and getting homesick, or hating being away. People can try to tell you what it will be like, but everyone's experience is different. So, to my high school self, I would definitely stop all of the worrying. Anxiety about a huge transition like this won't help you. I would also say that the college experience is what you make it; it's what you do then and there. Although the lack of preparation freaks you out, you don't need any because everything you need to succeed is there and inside of you. Transitioning to college life will be the best and (sometimes) the hardest thing you may do. It's worth it, so keep calm.

The advice I would give myself is to not procrastinate on a college choice. I believe I made the right decision for myself at the time, but I should have done more research and looked at better options. There are a lot of choices out there and you have to continually do your homework to find out the best matches for you. I made my choice on the programs that were available and where it was located. I chose to go somehwhere closer to home, but I feel that there were many more better choices I could have made.

If I were to have a conversation with myself as a highschool student I would bring up many things but the two main points I would bring up to myself would be, How do you plan to manage your time and what would I be doing to make friends. The advice that I would give myself would be that fro the time managment buy two alarm clocks so you are sure to be on time, and to carry a paper planner with you as well as a electronic but the most important thing would to be to buy a digital watch that has an alarm. For the social aspect I would encourage going to many of the diffrent events that the campus has within the first week due to the activities allow you to meet fellow students. I would also encourage having many diffrent friend groups just if there is any drama in one of the groups you could hang out with the other people untill the drama blows over. I would also remind myself that the home to college transition is not easy and you are going to have some trouble so dont expect everything to be perfect.

The transition to college life is more difficult than you think it will be. It is not impossible, but you need to know an accept a few things. It is not necessary to try and hold on to all of your high school friends. This will only stress you out. The ones that really matter will become clear sooner thatn you think. You are growing into the person you were meant to be and sometimes that means drifting apart from old friends. This is normal and healthy. Also, get involved! There are so many clubs and activities available to you! Keeping yourself busy will help you avoid or better handle homesickness. You will also meet the people who will become your best friends through activities to partake in. Finally, it is completely normal to go through an adjustment period. Give yourself a break. No one expects you to magically feel perfectly comfortable as soon as you arrive at school. Just keep an open mind and remember that everyone around you is or once was just as nervous and homesick as you will be at first. Everything will turn out fine. Just relax and enjoy the ride!

Dawn

Focus on school. You don't need to prove yourself to others. Popularity is not worth paying for by struggling through adulthood. You are a brilliant mind, so put that brain power to good use. After all, those people you are trying to impress will be just a fleeting memory in ten years , after you have a child of your own. So stop wasting time with delinquents and embrace your awesome nerdiness!

I’velearned that plans naturally change as I grow and gain more knowledge. Therefore I would tell my High School senior self to be proud of going to Fullerton Community College. View your letter D grade in AP Calculus in High School as a learning opportunity to grow as a student, not an indicator of failure. Don’t beat yourself up when you can’t get a job. No one’s hiring anyway. Remember that we all have to start somewhere. Start by joining the Honors Program in college. You will fit right in. Look for as many volunteer opportunities as possible. Giving back to your home campus will give you an extra reason to look forward to school and will add purpose to your life. It’s reasonable to be frustrated about not having all the answers when you start college. Start by seeing a counselor. Write all your questions about internships, the IGETC requirements, and college, on paper ahead of time so that you don’t choke. Most importantly, it’s okay to take a risk. Continue applying for jobs, scholarships, and for other opportunities. You won’t know you’ll win until you take a chance.

Be ready to work hard and accept anything that comes your way. There will be ups and downs, but in the end you can make something of yourself if you just stick with this. Be prepared to stay up late, work 30 hours a week and go to school from 8am to 2pm. Be ready to lose high school friends, and find new ones. Be ready to tell everyone that "you can" even if no one else is behind you. Try and remember what your goals are, and work a little harder even if you feel like you are giving 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. This may be college, but do not fall to peer pressure. You have never partied in high school, so do not do it now because too many people get in trouble and you can not afford to do that to yourself. No matter how hard things get just remember that in the end you are forming what kind of person you are going to be as an adult, you starting your own life and you have made an amazing decision by going to college.

vanessa

Do not reconsider if you should go to college, you will not regret deciding to attend college.

alesa

Go for it~

Make sure you have a rough idea of what you want to do with your life. If you think you want to go into business, but still considering psychology, I'd suggest looking deeper into those particular majors at the colleges or universitities you're looking into. Find out what degree comes with certificates and what those certificates can do for you after graduation. If there are no certificates available, make sure you aren't going to be pentalized or at a disadvantage when you graduate.

Mark Lester

“Listen kid, there is much work to be done. In your future, mom will be continually changing jobs and at some point you will be injured and will not be able to work for a while. If you don't want to end up scratching your head wondering how you are going to continue to make your dreams come true, because you can't seem to find the necessary funds, then I'd advise you listen. Knowing you so well, you want to make your parents proud and college is a way to make this happen. High school has been a free ride, but college will not be. Don't spend the next four or however long it takes for you to earn (by earn, I mean afford) and worry too much about money. You have to put in the extra effort now. Talk to your counselors. Ask them how you are going to pay for college. They will tell you two words: scholarships and grants. Free money is out there but you have to get involved!”

Jaymi

The college experience provided me with an invaluable insight as to how bureaucracies are run. The financial aid and scholarship process showed me the various ways that aid can be redistributed. It helped me understand what the priorities of the educational system are, and what my part might be. As I look at my final two years, the last conversation with my financial aid officer comes to mind, "you'll have to raise quite a bit of money to graduate" (financial aid officer, 2011). This can be hard to take after enduring homelessness to pay for college.

My college experience has taught me to be more independent. I have learned how to accept myself and not let anyone else judge me, I have learned how to do many things on my own, and I have learned how to make friends. College is a place where someone can learn to be outgoing, even if they are not an outgoing type of person. I believe it has been valuable to attend because it teaches me how life after school is going to be, and how to make changes effectively in order to make the transition from adolescence to adulthood much more easy and quick. It taught me to take responsibility for everything I do, and how to go about different situations in a manner that creates better outcomes. College has taught me to grow up and to appreciate everything I have, as well as everything I am going to have in the future.

Eleanor

Tiffin University allowed me to find myself. I know that college is all about the furthering of our education and expanding our horizons. However, I'm using my college time to do something a little bit more zen than that. Our school is not known for having yoga or meditation or soul searching programs. I'm starting some. I am finding myself and helping others realize their paths that they want to do. You can fill out all the surveys you want and you get as much career avice as possible but if it is not true to who you are then it is just wasted money. I am spending my money and my college career making sure that all of my aspects of life are fufilled. Whether that is traveling, teaching, and talking (the three T's of my life that I would like to take place in Africa as an English coorespondent) do want you need to do to make every experience the thing that cahnges your life as you know it. It is called accomplishments, and it is what I am getting from Tiffin University.

Deanna

Well I have not started college yet, but I have attended my orientation and college visit and the experience has been great. I'm excited to start college because I have a little more freedom to do what I want and I'm not forced into something I don't want to do such as classes in highschool. The reason why I think its valuable to attend college is because it helps you with your career choice and it puts you out there as an adult. In order to get a job that you not only like but love, will be because of college and I'm proud to say that I'm the first one in my family to go to college and my family is very proud of me for wanting to accomplish my goals and get a higher education.

Philip

Just out of my first semester here in college, I have learned so much. The fact that I live far away from home and live on campus has taught me to be much more relient on myself and to not beg my parents for everything; simply, I've learned responsibility. Also with classes not being everyday, this has given me the opportunity to understand how I need to prioritize about my "to do's." Also, because I play a sport it makes it that much more important to me that I learn how to prioritize.The freedom that I have received during college has only led me to fill my time with necessities, instead of playing video games or messing around. I have learned this much in just a semester of college, I can't imagine what I'll learn in the next 7.

Looking back, I thought I knew everything as a senior. I knew where I wanted to go to college and what I wanted to study. I felt good about this because some of my friends had no idea what they wanted to do or even where they wanted to go to college. My Mom set up all her vacation days after my freshman year to look at different colleges so I would be confident in my choice for a college. During the college visitation, we had a meeting with financial aid department and set up a tour of the campus, dorm rooms and tasted the food that was being served to see if I liked it or not. I let my Mom handle the financial part of college. She told me to apply for scholarships and I told her that I did not have time or I would do it later. I now have student loans to pay back and that scares me to death. If I could go back I would pay more attention on how to get scholarships and just learn more about how to pay for college. Looking back, I guess I did not know everything.

Kasey

I would tell myself to watch out for the internet. It is easy to not do homework, and play on the computer. Also be careful to not get involved in parties and all that fun stuff. The main thing to do is sit in your room and do your homework.

Shawna

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that it is okay to fail sometimes. I would tell myself this because sometimes it takes someone to fail at something for them to realize how well they can acheive something or how hard they need to work at it.

Felishia

College is not about parties and drinking, it is about getting good grades and achieving your goals.

Now that I have experienced my first semester in college, I realize there are changes I would have made during my senior year in high school in order to improve my success in college. Time management is the key to succeeding in college. During my senior year, I would on occassion procrastinate and choose to spend time with friends instead of studying. While in college, I have some trouble managing my time. To better prepare myself for college, I wish I would have told myself to study first and then spend time with my friends. If I had managed my time better in high school, than that would benefit me greatly in college. Also, during my senior year I could be shy at times. College is about putting yourself out there, joining clubs, and getting to know people. I now wish I was more outgoing and interactive my senior year. It has become easier to approach people, but having the practice in high school would have helped me during my college experience.

Sunny

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have wonderful advice for myself. For one, I would tell myself to keep on going, push through all the troubles, and that I will survive. Next, as far as the transition to college goes, I would tell myself that college is not what everyone thinks it to be. It is hard to balance life and school as you get older. I would tell myself to start to disapline myself now, make more time for my studies, learn better study habits, and take more time to think about what I am doing. I would also allow myself more time to devote to the learning process and my schoolwork.

Debra

Talking to the older students is definately the best thing to do. They usually have experiance with the schools ways and teachers and if you really want to learn more about the college talking to them has a greater advantage than talking to the professors. Also, doing small jobs before going to college to earn a little extra money is a good idea because only when you get to the college do you finally understand just how much money you really are going to end up using.

To go for it and don't be afraid that you can not afford it.

get a job to help pay your way through college

PATRICK

GO TO SCHOOL WHERE YOU FEEL COMFORATBLE..DON'T GO TO A SCHOOL BECAUSE IT HAS A BIG TIME REPUTATION FOR ACADEMICS OR SPORTS.

After selecting a school as a senior and becoming familiar with the various clubs and opportunities that will be available to you, really consider what you are interested in and go for it! I should have tried out for choir my first semester instead of waiting. You don't have to stick with everything you try, but make sure you are actively attempting to get involved and making the most of your college opportunity. College isn't simply about what you learn in the classroom. I learn just as much outside of the classroom through clubs, through meeting new people, and through diving into different opportunities my school has to offer. Also, as soon as you begin college, make a habit of taking full advantages of all available resources, including professors and other faculty! Save yourself a lot of headache by asking the people who already know the answers you need.... Don't shy away from stepping up to the plate and taking an active role in ensuring your own success. Finally, remember that life is all about perspective. Don't be scared about college or upset about leaving home. College is only as rewarding as your approach to it!

Bridgett

Finding a college that is perfect for you can be a difficult challenge. When looking at college's keep in mind what class size you are looking for. Another important aspect to a school is how much money tuition costs at that school, how much money in a scholarship you can receieve, and how much financial aid you will receieve from the government. Also, take into thought how close you as a student would like to be to home. And as a student you may want to explore the city your school is located in. You want to see what is available to do and where to shop. Once you have chosen a school get to know your roommate. Even if they aren't your best friend you should try to get along. Some other important people to know are your Resident Assistant, other students in your classes and your professors. Once you have gotten used to your class load try to get involved on campus. If you don't play a sport get involved in some clubs. This is a good way to meet people and will look good on your resume for the future.

choose a school based on the courses offered. the degree name doesnt matter, the atmosphere doesnt matter, its what you will learn that does. my campus is nowhere near ideal, i cried for three hours when i first saw it, but i knew it had the right classes for me and that is what i needed. I would never change my mind about attending Tiffin, it was the best decision and I made is purely on what courses were offered.

For most parents and students, finding the right college can be nerve racking. Most of the time the student may not know if they want to attend a large or small school. The best way to figure this out is by taking as many college visits as possible to all types of schools. The most important factor that needs to be considered when finding the right school, is what the student is looking for after graduation. Is the school he/she is interested in well known for their intended major, and what is the rate of students getting a job right after graduation. Look at the student faculty ratio. It is important that students can get to know their leaders in order to make the learning process smoother. Sometimes, professors can even help the students get internships and job opportunities that may often be hard to find without the right recommendations. It is always nice to know that you can go to your professors whenever you have any kind of problems. For most students, it may take awhile to get comfortable in a new environment. The best advice I have is to meet new people and be yourself.

Raymond

It is important for students to choose the college that fits all of their needs. Students and parents should take their time when looking at colleges and make sure they look at all the aspects of each school. In order to make the most of the college experience students should be pro-active and seek out activities and opportunities on campus and in the community.

Cara

The best advise I would give to future students or parents would be to do many school visits and pick the place that feels right to you, and has all of what you would like to do on and off of camps there. Don't just pick a place where all your high school friends go or seems like the popular place to go. Luckily I made the right decision on this one. Most off my friends all went to very popular school and a lot of them went together, but they already transfered or dropped out. As for making the best out of your college experience, I would suggest being open to diffrent things that you didn't think you would like before. For example joining an organization that you didn't think you would like (sorority/ fraternity). Also, finding a good group of friends that are fun and like to make the best out of every situation is very helpful. I am still friends with all of the people who lived in my dorm freshman year. We still all hang out on a regular basis which is nice. It helps to have friends that you can count on.

The most important thing is to visit the college, and to visit as many as possible. Visit all different kinds ranging from Large, DI, city schools, to small, privite, in the country schools. Then make a list of what the student likes and dislikes about each one. Also apply to as many places as you can, and applying online tends to be free. Go to a college far enough where you will not be tempted to come home everyday, but close enough that if there is an emergency, you can make the trip easily. GO to a school with the major you want, because that is why you are there, to get a degree. Once in college, do not go home on the weekends. Stay on campus and try to meet people. A great way to meet an instant friend is to have a double room in a campus dorm. Not everyone likes the thought, but feeling like you are in college, makes the transition a lot easier. Become active in something, a sport, a club, any organization, because having friends in college, makes moving to a new place feel more comfortable. College is what you make of it.

Finding the right college takes many different factors. It is important that the student feel comfortable on campus, not just socially but academiclly as well. In my opinion comfort is the most important factor in deciding what college to attend. Along with comfort, the ability to have a future after graduation is an important factor. With thosse two factors it should be easy to find the college that is right for the student.

Do not choose the college that gives you the most money. Pick a college that gives you good enough financial aid and where you will be challenged to be a better person and student both academically and in all other aspects. Do not go to a college simply because it is free, nearly free, or just plain less expensive than the other alternatives.

The advice that i would give to parrents is support your child in what whatever they want. if that is what is best for them do not try to change thier mind to get them to stay closer to home unless they want to. Advice that i would give to other students is nothing is impossible. If you want to apply to a school than do it. nothing is going to hold you back from tryoing to find your dream school. just always remember, you cand do anything and your parrents will be right behind you all of the way.

Jaime

Choose a school that has the major that you would like to study and where you feel most comfortable. Money isn't everything.

Choose the school for what you want to do for the rest of your life not for sports

Shayla

I would tell prespective students and parent to really do their research and visit the school before making such a big decision, and once you have made that decisions enjoy every aspect of it.