Dryden, NY
Tompkins Cortland Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tompkins Cortland Community College

Jena

For me, making the transition into college was much more difficult than the normal freshman because I was raised as a home schooled student. When I began attending TC3 at fifteen I carried insecurities from my untraditional education. While my home schooling instilled in me a huge appetite to learn, it also evoked a need to prove my intellect. Had I believed more in myself, and fostered a deeper sense of self-esteem, I could have made the transition much more easily. As it was, my constant overachievement kept me on the edge of exhaustion and physical well-being. It took a while before I recognized that my testing anxiety and self-criticism were crippling me. With realization, I now pursue my interests with a sense of calm, and freeness. My advice to myself as an entering college student would be that pursuit of what we love is hampered by fear, and a person must look for self-worth within themselves rather than in others.

?Diversity? at TC3 is real; not a sought-after statistic, but a natural occurrence. It is expressed not only in race and color, but in age, opinion, background, and goals. For me, this is invaluable in a college. Students are taught in an environment where they have as much to learn from those around them as they do from their books. I have taken a class which included a woman from a senior center, a fifteen-year old homeschool student, a student from the Bronx, a nursing student in her forties, an exchange student from Turkey, and two local students.

As TC3 has developed good reputation, its merits have been counterweighted by stricter policy, lesser tolerance, and overworked faculty. In the time I?ve attended TC3, the regulations for student organizations, one of TC3?s strong points, have become arbitrarily limiting. Now, clubs which contribute in a constant, innovative manner to the campus and community are forced to jump through hoops; for example, they are givin extra paperwork and have mandatory participation in "community projects" designed by Student Activities. While the new policies are likely well-intentioned, they prevent self-motivated organizations from pursuing more relevant and individualized motives.

Peter

My classmates at Tompkins Cortland Community College were for the most part apathetic and unmotivated, but it is easy to find driven people because of the many clubs and student groups.

I was homeschooled before college, and at the time I was supposed to be a high school senior, I had already gradutated from my community college and had obtained a GED through college credit. However, if I could talk to myself before I attended any college, I would have plenty of advice to give. Here tis... My first advice would be to get to know your professors. Not necessarily on a personal basis, but you should not be the person who sits in the back and only exchanges words with the professor when absolutely necessary. Another thing is that professors love students who participate, no matter what subject you're studying. Asking questions and providing answers to their questions shows them that you are not only listening, but doing your best to understand. Whenever you can, take a class with a friend. Obviously you shouldn't goof off in class, but I know I would never have passed chemistry if I hadn't taken it with my best friend. Also, study groups are awesome. In study groups, you usually only find people who are properly motivated to succeed. You can make long-term friends with people from study groups.

The worst thing about TC3 might be the professors. This is not because they are all bad, it is becuase you have no idea whether you're going to get an amazing to teacher or a horrible one, and there are both kinds at TC3. An easy way to circumvent this problem is to ask other students about professors they've had, which ones to avoid, and which ones to take classes from.

Benjamin

TC3 has unique features that distinguish it in the eyes of the students who take advantage of it's special opportunities. My friends and I have availed ourselves of it's study abroad like programs and club trips. I was able to go on a white water rafting adventure last spring for a personal cost of only $50! Complementing these travel opportunities are inspiring teachers. Many overqualified professors change lives every semester, from working with students on independent ecological research in Costa Rica to working with them personally to help them find their future.

College success can hinge on preparation and intelligent application of a person?s energy and potential. Could have done something different in my pre-college years, I would have prepared for standardized testing and believed in myself more during the transition semesters to community college. If I hadn?t been so worried about doing perfectly in just a few classes, I might have branched out and availed myself of more early opportunities. A positive college experience is measured by more than class grades and test scores though. I believe the truly successful individual should be taking fair advantage of academic and extracurricular activities, living healthily, and enjoying oneself. Another choice that would have helped me to be better prepared for my life as a college athlete would have been to avoid isolation work in my weight training. Guidance in this area would likely have improved my functional strength and reduced my injuries. Finally, as challenging as college can be, it spans a short time yet carries an impact through experiences and memories that are sustained through a lifetime. I would advise any student graduating high school to explore whatever is available to him or her and to make adventurous choices.

TC3 is a great gateway college. It is a stepping stone to almost any other destination, from a four year college to a skilled profession. You get out of it what you put into it. Therefore, the people who are best suited for TC3 are those who are motivated to seek out opportunities and make the most of their learning environment.

Alaura

TC3 is best know for quality teachers who really take time to help their students out.

I would tell myself to worry less. and most of all i wish i could go back and tell myself to really start saving money up because college is expensive and with three kids my parents can only pay so much.

One thing I absolutly love about TC3 is the fact that there are small classrooms and all of the professors are very accessible if one needs extra help. There are free tutors that work around your clock to help you out, in many subject areas. Also the majority of the professors have great credentianls so we as student know that they really do know what they are talking about.

Kyle

My classmates are a very diverse group from various regions.

My classmates are a very diverse group from various regions.

I would tell myself to study and make good use of my free time. I would need to listen to my dad and believe all the good adivce ,that he had given me. Life challenges need to be addressed before hand. My long and short term goals would need to be set and met at the specified times.I need to listen to the people ,who have succeeded in life . I have to go to where they have been. Life failures only create success in the future.

I always brag about the size of the classrooms and the ability to speak with a professor in a short time span.

Kevin

Being one of the best community colleges in the state.

Being one of the best community colleges in the state.

The transition to college isn't the problem. Forget about trying to be the guy everyone likes and be a good student. Get studying skillls now because you will need them the next four years, and if you don't form them now you might not make it out alive. Studies first and don't let the breakup affect how you do.

People who need help getting on their feet after mistakes in high school or are returning tothe school after messing up in college. but don't want to give up.

Chelsey

If I could go back in time I would have told myself to do a few things differently. I would have told myself to communicate more with other people in my school-students and teachers. I would tell myself to stick up for my beliefs and my values more vocally. If I want something I have to go after it and persevere. I would have also told myself to do more risks-good risks. Risks can make good things happen and it can steer you off in the direction you want, if you follow through using your head and heart. If I would not have been shy I would have gotten more done. Having said this, no one can go back in time. You have to learn from your mistakes and move on. If you stay in the past then you will have a harder time making things the way you want them. You have the power to change your future, so do it.

My classmates are energetic, focused, and out-spoken.

My classmates are energetic, focused, and out-spoken.

There is much I would have to say to myself if I was able to travel to the past. Visiting myself as a high school senior would be extremely beneficial to the present. I would give myself advice that no other person could. I would explain to myself how I have struggled through dead end jobs, and created un-needed stress. I have learned through the years, the importance of doing well educationally. Telling myself not to worry about what friends are doing, and working at jobs for pennies over school work is not the direction I want to go. I had dropped out of college to work at a failing business. Only a few months after dropping college, the business closed. I was left jumping from one fast-food joint to another, then to retail stores. It was my last job that changed my life. I would explain to myself the pain and suffering I endured working. Tell the tale of the ghost from the past that haunts me, and the high hurdles created by my past mistakes. I would hope that my young-self would take the advice and choose a better path then my current self had.

A person who should not attend TC3 is anyone who is un-motivated, and irresonsible. A person who cannot efficently manage thier time, and complete tasks in a timly fashion, would not be able to excell at Tompkin-Cortland-Community-College.

Tompkins Cortland Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.