Towson University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Towson University

James

Don't go to Towson if you're looking for anybody that works there to be helpful. I've had two advisors, neither of which email me back when I ask any questions and my first advisor screwed up my class plan a few times before she got it right and pushed my grad date back a full year. Financial aid is no different, I've went to them about a question and got 3 different answers from 3 different people. Overall, Towson is a very poorly ran school that offers little to no help to its students. Only good thing about the school is the bars uptown.

Kimia

Towson University is a liberal arts focused school with an excellent and involved student government. The University provides so many opportunities for us to network and create friendships. The college of liberal arts, as my major falls under this branch, has helpful and proactive professors. Professors and students alike are driven and care for the well being of others. My only complaint would be how close the university is to a row of bars and the constant construction work on campus. Students banter from the construction, calling Towson “detour university”, because of the wide presence of workers and equipment.

Cristal

Towson University is a school that is somehow both big and small. The campus is beautiful and expansive, but it still feels like everyone is close. The facilities at the school are great, my favorite is the fitness/recreation centers, both for the large variety of equipment and the awesome acai bowls. All of my professors were both competent and compassionate, making most of my classes manageable and enjoyable. My only complaints are that the food isn't always that great, and parking is a nightmare.

Daniel

Towson University is a wonderful school for underclassmen, with amazing housing, student life, and culture. They have a variety of clubs for almost everything, and wonderful professors in many of their academic scenes. The cons to Towson university is the academic process and system, including advisors and the whole process in general, which can be very confusing, from dates and deadlines, to what academic programs you are even eligible to do. In terms of academics, while Towson has wonderful professors and classrooms, there choice of majors is "okay" for me, it is not very satisfactory to me. In terms of networking and career navigation, Towson has an average ability and performance in assisting students with these choices. They have many clubs and organizations to guide students and connect them to the right people, and even career fairs that have many employers.

Zen

Towson University is an amazing college that helps me strive to do the best that I can do in anything that I choose to pursue. I am encouraged to go around campus and interact with different clubs, as well as many of the faculty members. It also helps that the campus really is a sight to see, with its mixture of traditional and modern design, everyone can find something they like here! Not only is the campus beautiful, but is also very lively, and students can often be found in small gatherings, discussing everything from politics to parties. All in all, Towson is a great, beautiful, and open-minded campus with lots of resources to appreciate and take advantage of.

Jada

Towson University is an enjoyable school. The professors are great and always available to talk to. There are many resources accessible when convenient for anything needed: counseling, school store, food, etc. Since I transferred here last spring, I encourage myself to partake in the many activities and clubs around campus all year round and I really enjoy it. I love the fact that there are various food choices on campus: Chinese, chic fi la, Italian, sushi. You can find anything on campus. If you enjoy a large campus full of activities and social events, this is the school for you. There are many academic majors available to choose from and covers a variety of minors. The school is surrounded by restaurants and nearby malls and shops which is great for students who live on campus and don't have to travel very far off campus.

Fitia

Towson University’s mission statement encompass every colleges’ purpose which is to instill graduates with the “vision, creativity and adaptability to craft solutions that enrich the society” (Section 1). A good university education must provide students with fundamental skills, help them learn on their own and adapt to evolving situations. The goals of universities are to elevate the visions of students so they can see a bigger picture of the real world in order to function and survive successfully. Growing up with limited resources and one-sided education in a poor country, my vision of the world was narrow and lacked intellectual diversity. I grew up with a mentality that I should attend a university for the sake of getting a career so I could provide for myself financially. I chose to attend Towson because of its large campus and variety of programs and activities they offer. After a month of attending, I did not expect that college life could shape me as a better person until now. I used to think that being an adult would be easy until my professors piled me with a lot of tasks to fulfill. They were quite strict about how they wanted their assignments to be done and constantly raise their standards for each assignment. I realized the workload and amount of tasks inspire me to be a responsible person, broadening my mind and my horizons.

Jordyn

I believe Towson University is overall a great school. It's something to new to do everyday which the school emails you about every morning. You'll meet tons of new people around campus. However, my only issue is the school isn't as diverse as it claims to be. Overall a good school and I encourage people who are interested to apply

Jae

Overall I think it is left up to you to choose how much fun you will have at this school. I think the facilities are wonderful, the food is pretty good, and the on campus living quarters are spacious. The classes are challenging, so I hope to continue to have teachers that are willing to help outside of the classroom.

Emilee

I love being here. Everyone is so nice! I can not imagine myself at any other college. I have met so many people here! My teachers are so willing to help me if I have any problems! We are right near the mall which is great for shopping. The food on campus is amazing and easily accessible! I am also excited to continue my next 3 years here at Towson University!

Jillian

While it wasn't my first choice for colleges and it's too large for my liking, it's a pretty nice university overall. There's plenty of options for majors, courses, dining, shopping, and entertainment both on campus and in the surrounding area, and everyone is really friendly for the most part-from the professors to the other students to even the staff members. It helps that it's also not crazy expensive like other universities.

C

Towson is a great place! Lots of diversity, and definitely one of the best schools in the state, coming from a well-traveled transfer student. There are plenty of activities and something that will appeal to anyone! I do wish we had more school spirit, but I think the sports games are not heavily populated due to the high amount of commuters. Very friendly students, very little drama.

Jared

Towson is a great school with many opportunities to learn, grow, and connect. Obviously like any college there is a party, drink, and drugs atmosphere but it's contained to the point that if you don't partake of it, you'd barely know. Overall, through housing, food, academics, sports, etc; I would give a 4/5 in all as there are always things that can be fixed.

Lauryn

Towson was not my first choice, but my third. I've always liked the school, but was never really intrigued in attending. Now after spending only one semester at the school, I know that I had made a great choice for me. The accessibility and opportunities Towson has to offer are great for networking with great people and professionals to help you get a boost in your career field. If you look hard enough, there are people who are willing to bring fresh eager college students in an start them on their way. Just within my first semester, I have already gotten an internship with a local chiropractor that works alongside the Orioles baseball team. Also, the location of Towson makes it very accessible to stores, the mall and others necessities. With the shuttle working almost 24hrs., nothing is over 20-25 minutes away from the school. Towson is a great school for its diversity, academics and students activities. My teachers this past semester were so welcoming and understanding, treating me with respect and professionalism. Towson is very interconnected with one another, allowing nothing but positivity and progress be brought upon our students, staff, and faculty.

Carlos

Over the past year with the combined first hand experience of the university's diverse student life, academics, sporting events, and Greek life, I feel right at home at Towson University. I am fully able to have access to all resources available in order to study my major. The diversity seen at Towson makes me feel right at home as i am surrounded by students who accept my beliefs and can relate to entirely. Greek life for me was one of the best experiences of my life and I feel as though my involvement with Greek Life will shape me to become a very humble and active person in our community. Overall Towson truly made me feel at home and I am glad to be a Towson Tiger!

Nora

After completing my first semester at Towson University, I highly approve and recommend the school. I have found all professors I've encountered to be extremely nice and supportive, as they are always around to answer questions and help people who may be struggling. Class sizes at Towson are also nice, as many classes have less than 30 students to make lessons more manageable. Towson offers clubs and activities for students of many interests, and as the college is located in Baltimore, there is always something to do off campus.

To say Towson is the perfect school would be a lie, but I think its really close. Ofcourse it has its negatives, every school does. But Towson has my whole heart it feels like home and the people there are amazing. I love it

Towson University is a great school to get involved at. There are plenty of options for people to choose to get engaged in the community, meet new people, get leadership experience, or just take a study break. The overall culture at Towson values academics, and classes aren't easy! Taking advantages of resources such as the tutoring center, writing center, and teaching assistants will aid to your success as a student.

Janet-Marie

Towson is an ok school for the most part everything is Fairley close so getting to class on time is not an issue. The food is not that good I often get food poisoning eating at the Glen dinning hall. When it comes to food I wouldn't recommend anything. Living on campus you come to learn bed bugs in college are thing even when multiple complaints were filed it still took over a month for anything to happen and there was a lot of attitude involved. Bed bugs come back often if not on one floor on another. Appliances are out dated in the dorms for instance microwaves and refrigerators. Professors are decent in there leniency however ever professor is different and have different expectations. Some are very strict on grading, tardiness and cellphone use in class while others are just happy to see you show up once a week.

Towson Univeristy is a great school overall. Everyone is able to find a place where they belong, here at Towson. I am African-American and I felt very welcome and included. There are over 100 clubs to choose from and so many other options like intramural sports or Greek life. The food is the best college food I've ever had. The atmosphere of the campus is very positive and chill; you don't hear a lot of talk about negative interactions on campus. On-campus housing is pretty nice; they are even planning to renovate two of the oldest buildings for next year! Off-campus housing is nice as well but it can get a little pricey. Overall Towson University is a great school full of new experiences.

Justin

The staff at Towson University are extremely flexible and willing to accommodate every students needs within reason. I lived on campus this past year and being an Orthodox Jew, I celebrate the Sabbath every week. The dorm that I was living had some things that conflicted with the rules of the Sabbath, and when I asked the staff about it, they apologized for the inconvenience and fixed the problem immediately, which was not a simple procedure. They really care about every student.

Aries

Towson, overall is a great university. I enjoy the classes I take during the week and always have something to do on the weekend. I also love the fact we are a blue light school because we are so close to Baltimore city; it allows me to always feel safe.

I enjoy the atmosphere and environment when on campus. I love the professors and the class size is small enough to get to know your peers. I felt that I had a great place to study when necessary and could easily access my professor's help when needed. The campus is right inside of a city, however when on campus you barely notice, its usually quiet from crazy city noises and the campus is bursting with student events and activities to do in between classes. The biggest set back has been the admissions process. There is obviously not enough staff on hand to handle the number of students who need assistance and aid in getting themselves set up on campus. It took more time than I would have liked to get settled in at Towson. Aside from that, I truly adore Towson University and am so happy to finally be a TU tiger!

Abbie

Towson University is a very nice and welcoming college. The campus is wonderful and safe. There are always activities to participate in and they're always having events. Towson offers many wonderful programs for a variety of students and the class sizes are not too big. The professors are all very unique and honestly they have a lot of great things to teach. Now for all students who are looking for fair pricing Towson University is by far fair in price. So for a student like me who is looking to lower the amount of debt this really helps. Towson is awesome and I would recommend it to any college seeker.

Briana

Its a great school. It's academically challenging and inspiring, but there is also room for fun. There is a place for everyone and there is usually something to do. There are some really great professors whose lessons actually stick with you and will benefit your future endeavors.

Johan

I honestly cannot see myself at any other undergraduate institution besides Towson university. I love the University. Just like any university, it can be way better than it is but I think that you do get your money's worth. Man, is it a party school. Maintaining a balance is definitely important. You're given many opportunities to get involved all over campus. So, if you're not involved, it's because you've chose not to. There's literally a club for everything and every demographic. It's not secluded from the city. The mall is walking distance which is extremely convenient. Academics really depend on your major. I think all the Liberal Arts majors are getting a great education. They need to work on their science department.

Morgan

Towson is honestly a great school. I went for a tour one day, because my mom suggested it. As soon as I walked onto the campus I loved it. The people were super friendly and I had no problems. It is a great size, price and just overall amazing. It is the perfect distance from my home in PA as well. The professors are always accessible, and the counselors really show that they care for you.

A decent school, but nothing special. Lots of commuters. Students who live on campus are more likely to party a lot. Very affordable, especially if you commute or live off-campus. Lots of extra curriculars and ways to get involved if you choose to, or just go to class and nothing else.

Davina

Towson University is a good school but with every school, there are bad parts. The science and math department is not the best. Many of the teachers are mediocre. However, Towson University is great in terms of the campus lifestyle and engagement. Although, I would like to see Towson embrace their views of diversity. The administration still has not changed the names of its dormitories named after previous slave owners. Towson cares about the students, their success, and the money they bring. There are many clubs and groups so that no one feels left out and although the construction is loud. I like to see the money spent going towards bettering the programs and academic buildings. Downtown is also a beauty

Shani

I would say Towson is an okay school. It was not my first choice when applying and I was not thrilled at first about attending, but I've grown to like it over time. I'm curious to see how my next three and a half years will pan out.

Briana

Amazing people and atmosphere!!

Asia

Greek life helped me love Towson

Erin

Overall, I have come to love Towson University. In the beginning of the year, I was a bit hesitant about whether or not I chose the right school but I did. I found an amazing group of friends, I've had amazing teachers and staff that do their best to help me succeed, and I have loved exploring the surrounding areas. It may not seem like it, but there is a lot to do in and around Towson!

Allie

Towson is great! There are plenty of fun actives and service opportunities going on. Most students are there to learn, not just to party. There is a nice sized greek community, but don't worry if you're not in it. Towson has something for everyone!

Zachary

Towson is an amazing school! It is beautiful, the professors are great, and as they tell you on every tour, it is a big campus with a small-school feel. Enrolling at Towson was the best decision ever and I fail to see how anyone could dislike such a wonderful place.

Towson University is an amazing school with a beautiful campus. The academics are great and the involvement at the school is a big thing. The campus is constantly being renovated so the campus is continuing to grow and become better. The sports scene is not very big but we are DI. There is always something to do on campus and around campus so you will never be bored!

Brianna

They've been struggling with providing on campus housing lately, but they are taking over a Marriott hotel and converting it to housing for next year and renovating a residence hall. Also, there are plenty of off campus apartments surrounding the campus, they're very much like student housing.

Trista

It is an overall good Academic and involved University. It has its flaw though. Parking is hell even with the parking garages. I would not have transferred here if I did not have any choice however. It was and still is a hard transfer because of how many people are at this University and the curriculum/requirements.

Codie

Towson is a pretty good school overall.

Kyara

It's a very diverse campus and the students are very active and involved with their own activities. Staff have tried to make this campus as safe and comfortable as possible for the students. You can really tell they want us to enjoy our time here and feel like we are at home.

Mary

I'm sure the school is fine for others I just hate the party scene.

Kathleen

Towson University is great. They are very welcoming and friendly. I am attending the Towson 2+2 program with the College of Southern Maryland and its great! We went to the campus for orientation and they really made us feel like Towson students. I like that I can work and attend college. I would definitely recommend this program.

Tyrese

I simply love Towson University. While my first college choice was U.C. Irvine in California, I couldn't be happier with my second choice. The atmosphere is amazing - everyone is nice and helpful, student and staff alike. Helping people of all backgrounds, nationalities, sexual orientations, etc. fit in and feel included, Towson is one of the most diverse and inclusive colleges you'll find! The campus itself is simply beautiful, and while there is some walking involved to get to class, that's with all big-league campuses. Overall, Towson is the place for me, and if U.C. Irvine were to call me at this very moment to drag me to California, I'd simply tell them I'm already at home.

Aliyah

I enjoy Morgan State University. There are many different people of different ethnicities. I have learned a great deal from every person Ive met and I feel blessed to be a student here. Everyday in college is a new experience, whether I am in Spanish class, Math class or English.

Carissa

They could stand to not be so rah-rah with the sports and focus on the academics more. It appears they are in competition with the University of Maryland in a lot of ways, but they are the only ones aware of this competition - and they aren't doing very well. Parking is a huge issue on campus. Huge.

Kwabena

Haven't been here too long but let's get! Dining halls aren't great but most colleges have crappy dining halls. There are many alternatives on and off campus. A majority of students live off-campus, on-campus is usually reserved for underclassman. Social life is dependent on clubs, sports and other social activities. Be prepared to walk a lot or take the shuttle a lot. The average class size is 30 people and the upper limit is around 90 people. Professors have regular office hours and encourage you to reach out to them. Overall, not a bad place to spend four years of your life.

Carly

I loved Towson. Both of my parents and sister attended before me. I had a great experience. I loved my teachers in my major and felt I received a great education. I loved being an active member of greek life and felt like I had a great college experience at Towson.

Kwabena

I am about to be a junior at Towson University and I can honestly say it is one of the best decisions I've made applying to this school. The community and atmosphere is very welcoming and the teachers treat each student that they meet as if they are family. The organizations on campus promote a sense of sociability and the people there are willing to help in any way the can. The academics are top notch as well. Whether the class size 15 students or 50 students, professors are willing to help each student that comes to them and makes sure that students reach their own personal and academic goals. The only downside is that you eventually have to leave the university and graduate. However, the friendships and bonds that are formed will last a lifetime.

Aaryn

As a community , Towson University is a great school. There are times however when things don't go as planned or where things could be better. For example during my entire first semester a lot of the campus was under construction which they said would be finished before we moved in. Now though this construction is supposed to finish by the end of March but it seems unlikely. This is severely inconvenient given the amount of people who attend our school and now the lack of space for everyone to get where they need to go because of all the detours.

Ciara

Towson provides a diverse atmosphere that fosters academics and stresses the importance of extracurriculars. There is always something to be involved in, whether it be events or groups to join. The campus is a very nice size because it feels like everything is reasonably distanced while the campus is actually big. Dorms are very different and range from small classic rooms with community bathrooms to upperclassmen apartments. You'll never get bored and the mall, and downtown are very close, There's shuttles that take you all over the place