Towson University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Towson University

Garrett

Overall. I believe that Towson is a good school to attend. People tend to be cordial with one another, which makes it easy to meet new people. Also, there are many activities going on throughout the week that students can get involved in. Especially, at the beginning of the school to help freshman get assimilated to campus. On top of that, for students that need help in a particular subject, there are various tutoring programs they can attend if they need help. Furthermore, Towson is ranked the number one campus in Maryland when it comes to safety and the Towson police do a terrific job of alerting us about nearby crimes.

Meghan

Towson University was my top choice; mainly because my decision came between only two schools. Only two schools in the state of Maryland had my major, obviously Towson University being one, and the other being Frostburg State University in western Maryland. Between the two schools, I am very happy that I chose Towson. The athletic training program--my major-- at Towson is very professional and I'm very excited to continue my athletic training career at TU. The academics are pretty good at Towson, in my opinion. There are numerous resources available, the professors are generally available when contacted, and the overall "vibe" is very helpful and welcoming. I lived on campus my first year at Towson, and the experience was OK. I live too far away to commute, especially with the horrific traffic coming up into Towson. I made the mistake of having random roommate assignment for the fall semester. We did not get along very well, and I'm glad to say that I didn't have to live with her the following semester. However, I have met very wonderful people at Towson, including some of my closest friends. I love the campus itself, with all it's amenities, including especially Burdick Hall (which was recently renovated an is gorgeous), the Burdick turf fields, and the Liberal Arts building. I have to say, one of my least favorite things about living on campus at TU was the food. Most of the dining hall food is very mediocre, and some of the food staff can be very rude. The West Village dining is a lot better than the other stuff on campus, but I wish that they'd have some sort of better quality control, especially at the Glen complex.

Kelly

Towson University is a great school to attend, many internships are available for every student. I love this school

jasmin

I honestly love Towson, its a pretty big campus but the classrooms are small enough that teachers know your name. Also their are hundreds of clubs that you can join, and a ton of jobs available on campus. There are a lot of food options, and although not everything is good, a lot options are. Finally, teachers and students are all friendly, it isn't hard to strike up conversation with a random person or ask for directions.

Briana

I do believe Towson University is a good school academically. There are a few problems when it comes to signing up for classes, because there is a limited amount of availability; however, Towson is a great school when it comes to their learning environment and really getting to know who you are as an individual.

Abigail

I will be honest. I did NOT want to go to an in-state school. As soon as I stepped foot on Towson soil I knew I was home. Towson is not the typical traditional 4 year university. It is known for being the first to stand up for what our students want and believe in. It has room and acceptance for every student who calls it home. College is one of those places where if you don't try, nothing will happen. College doesn't just happen. As a student you have to be willing to explore the opportunities, clubs, groups, and activities the school offers. Towson makes sure something is always happening and available to a student. The professors are almost always available outside of class and make the class time and work worth your while. They make sure you have all opportunities for internships, jobs, and anything else. Towson University has all of the opportunities, just make the best of them and see why you will be proud to call yourself a tiger.

Elizabeth Doda

Overall a good place to be. The academic programs Towson has are amazing and everyone is looking to help you. Towson's staff, advisers, and professors all make Towson a place that I feel comfortable and encouraged. It is a good place to focus on what matters. While there is a good amount of people who may have come for other reasons rather than academic, I feel it is a place where I am not distracted but able to focus.

Grace

I transferred out of Towson University after my first semester and I know a lot of people that have done the same. The campus is nice, but that's about the only thing. I was the least happy I have ever been at Towson. I tried to get involved but the clubs honestly suck. The food is not good. The housing is very outdated. My major was speech pathology and the building for my major wasn't even on campus. I witnessed numerous people passed out from alcohol poisoning and laying on the ground all throughout campus. I seriously would not recommend going here. It sucks.

Asia

At Towson University they aim to help their students become better people. They aim to help develop their education and help them become aware of their current society. At Towson University they encourage their students for academic person and to become involved with the world around us.

mehir

Towson has many aspects that are both large in your face but also subtle and I think the balance Towson maintains is why I like it here. Addressing academics first, Towson is unique because it is well known for offering majors that are near impossible to find. All the professors are very well versed in their subject and are competent at teaching material which I know isnt something that many people encounter. The professors also all have different teaching styles and it is encouraged that if your professor isnt the best for you finding another to assist you is easy since all the professors make themselves available and encourage students to get help from them. Even the worst rated professors are not horrible. In terms of class size there are MANY students at Towson but the classes doesn't feel monstrously huge and most professors know every student. I have lived on campus the whole time but all my closest friends are commuters. Towson does a good job at keeping facilities secure while also not feeling like peoples ability to house guests are impeded. The parking from what my friends tell me is predictable if entirely nightmarish in the beginning and Towson has very understandable parking rules. The food on campus is meh and personally it is something the average person would be completely fine with but I am an athlete and eat different than the majority. That being said I wouldn't starve because campus still has a great variety of places and Towson is very diligent with maintaining their websites so information stays available and accessible and the majority of campus has good WiFi.

JanetMare

There are many issues that the school lets fester. The food quality is below average. The meal plans are not good fair and reasonable. They have bed bugs. They have old dorms and appliances. The teachers ok, nothing stellar. The overall air of the school does not feel accepting of diversity. I would not recommend it.

Towson is a very welcoming school. It is so diverse and full of events to help get students involved. My transition from high school to college was smooth sailing thanks to the housing board and new friends I made this past semester. Class sizes are very similar to high school in that they are fairly small, so getting to build a professor-student relationship is much easier. Overall, it really is an amazing school.

Tiera

I love the academics, while the campus life is not my favorite. its a great school for knowledge and I believe I can learn a lot but I also need financial support that I'm not getting. The campus tries to be inclusive and diverse but its honestly quite boring with a sameness that many can't shake. Its not anything like my hometown which is great but its not much going on here either. I appreciate the academia very much.

Kaelen

Towson Universty is a school that believes in inclusivity and the protection of all there students. Towson has established that they will fight for their students who are under DACA, have established gender-neutral bathrooms, and worked to endlessly to inform students about current issues on and off campus. These are only are few of the things that really demonstrate how much Towson University works for the inclusivity and protection of all their students.

Nature

Towson is a great state school option for many people. They offer a wide variety of majors but maintain a relatively small campus, unlike some of the other Maryland schools. It's location affords it's students awesome and unique opportunities to get involved in their field of interest and I really like their emphasis on the importance of internships. However, it is a big school and a lot of people transfer and/or commute, making it hard to develop close connections with other students. Also parking can be a total nightmare.

Alyssa

I am overall extremely happy with my choice for college. Everyone says college is a time to find yourself and I believe Towson is the perfect place to do so. Towson accepts and encourages diversity. Students are allowed to show who they really are without discrimination. There is no hate on our campus. I am proud to say I attend Towson University, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Aniya

I love how there are many opportunities and clubs to join. I find the access to the resources such as the library, writing center, and health center very helpful and useful. Everyone is so nice and welcoming. They take safety very seriously.

Corine

Towson University offers incoming students a lot of opportunities that range from working with other students in community service to the campus news paper program called the Pawprints: Collegiate Readership Program which is designed to help students become more aware of whats happening in the world today; Towson University is well known for their challenging academics, as an art student attending the university each class that I have attended was a challenge yet, when I needed help my professors were always approachable.

Cheyanne

Overall, I really enjoy attending Towson University. I feel as though I am really getting a quality education. My advisor and instructors are all accessible and want to help me succeed so that I can walk across the stage next Spring. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer and several extracurricular activities for those who are interested.

Ryan

I have visited Towson University and two (2) visits now and am now accepted and enrolled for Fall 2018. Towson has a very good reputation. When I visited, I was impressed with the smaller class size (student/teacher ratio). The campus is a good size, not too big or too small. There seem to be a lot of extracurricular activities to participate in. It's near other universities where you can visit their campuses, as well. The dormitories are very nice, too.

Gabrielle

Towson University is definitely the right choice for me. It has small classes but a big school feel especially with sports.It has a welcoming feeling when you first get on campus and through-out the school year. Professors actually care about you and your learning experience. I genuinely love this school.

Malcolm

I believe that Towson University is a great place for students to learn and grow as individuals. Towson offers a wide variety of activities and organizations for students to participate in. Students find great ways to balance their academics and extracurricular activities. Overall, Towson University is a great environment for students to receive an education and grow as adults.

Adele

Towson University is a medium-sized college with somewhat of a small-college feel. the campus feels small and is easy to navigate once you get past your first two weeks. the class sizes are no more than 35 normally, unless you're attending a broad and general education lecture class such as English, Psychology, or Biology.

Alexander

Great University in the sense that we have a large student body, but campus still feels homey. You will easily be able to see the people you want to and avoid those you don't. Our smaller class sizes allow professors to always be easily accessible making academics much easier than at a large university. There's a vibrant social life and Greek life allowing students to always stay busy. On-campus housing is very nice especially after your first year when on-campus apartments become available.

ogechi

its ok it honestly was not my first choice in schools but now that i am already here i dont necessarily hate it but it is not what i want for the amount of money that i have to pay in tuition every semester every three months. i hear the nursing program is fantastic so im going to stick it out and see how it goes

Destiny

I believe that Towson University is a phenomonal school because of its ability to make the seamless transition from a student's high school rountine to a college one (and believe me the two are very much different!). What I admire most of this University is even in a time where the world's political climate is intense, students are not afraid to speak out and stand up for what they believe in. This is made possible by the inviting atomosphere Towson created to ensure that everyone's opinion is validated and respected (i.e Freedom Square where students are allowed to write whatever they feel on huge chalkboards in the middle of campus giving them the power to voice statements they deem important for someone else to read). Towson molds well-rounded leaders who always strive for success. I couldn't ask to go to a better school. Go Tigers!

Stacy

Bad experience with the school. Unresponsive to emails. Very glad I am transferring.

Kaleel

Either you love it or hate Towson. It is a bunch of issues with the financial aid issues being that school it is a lot of over pricing and things really annoying. College is too expensive for what they are giving us. Despite all the cons, The academics and student life is really great and so diverse. Making connects are the best things about campus.

I love attending Towson University! The atmosphere is very inviting, and almost any student will at least give you a hello. The buildings are in very nice condition, and I definitely feel like my safety is Towson's number one priority. There is plenty of help and resources to be found all over campus. I will definitely enjoy the next few years I'm at Towson!

Zarah

I love Towson! I have yet to find a perfect fit for me until I found Towson. There is something for everyone at Towson, future educators, businessmen and women, scientists, artists, athletes, psychologists, social workers, and so much more. The food might not be the best but the community is! Towson is surrounded by many amazing places where you could go on the weekends. The variety of extracurriculars are perfect. Most importantly, the staff is the best. Class sizes are small but you get a big school feel to the campus. We have many students but classes are usually about 28 students. Towson is perfect for you if you are looking to be an involved person not just a number!

shaakira

This is my first semester at Towson university and I can honestly say that Towson is a amazing school. Everyone I've met so far is pretty nice and it's genuine. Towson has various opportunities for your major. Sometimes they will be required but it's always for your best interest. For example, my major is biology and a 1 credit class that's required is educational and career planning for the biologist. The class is not hard and it provides you with direction. Not just with your career but anything else that deals with your future as well. There's also a lot of events and activities to participate in. You never will be bored here.

Arden

Towson University is the pretty average school. The best housing is in west village. The food could be worse in the dining halls but the union has some great food. Like any other school, teachers are hit or miss, Towson was a nice, affordable school for me to attend in state.

Denita

I just started so I am managing and learning to find my classes. There are a lot of students in the classes. I attended smaller schools and learning environments. I will have to learn to not get overwhelmed and develop some coping mechanisms so that I am not stressed. Overall, I like attending Towson, so far.

Caitlynn

I really love Towson, but I am not a fan of the party culture. I have found some amazing people at Towson. But, in order to do so, I think you really should join some type of extra-curricular group. There are some really cool religious groups on campus and many sororities. The class sizes are great, especially being in the Honors College where classes are usually less than 20 people.

Sharon

Plenty of resources are available to students in order to ensure success and a good amount of teachers can teach effectively rather than just giving page numbers to read. Aside from teachers the staff are also very friendly and helpful and the overall environment from clubs to exterior looks are welcoming, causal and typical.

Alex

I absolutely love Towson University! It has a beautiful campus and tons of great opportunities. It is surrounded by great places to eat, shop, and hang out. The buildings are very up-to-date with the latest technologies. As a music major, I adore the center for the arts. You learn so much and get to dive into your major right from the beginning, whereas at other schools you do not start to dive in until your junior or senior years.

Christian

I think Towson University is a very nice college. With a big, clean, overall good atmosphere the university looks promising. I have a brother that went to Towson University and ever since he graduated he told me i should attend as well. Based off a visit i can see why. Overall the university looks very nice and i'd be happy to attend.

Gedeon

Towson University for the most part is a very good school. The professors are mostly filled with well educated, fun, and good understanding teachers. They are mostly available before and after class if any students needs extra help or just want to talk to them about anything. The professors like to get the students engaged in class activities by asking questions and options about the topics that we discuss in class. The students that go to this school like to have fun on the weekends but stay focused during school days. The campus is also very safe as it is ranked top 10 in the nation.

Quinten

Towson is a good school. It’s a very affordable state school located in Baltimore. The campus is spread out a bit and you’ll be walking at least fifteen minutes to get to your class. It’s an older school undergoing a lot of renovations. When they’re done, it will be a beautiful campus. They only guarantee housing for freshman and sophomores. So, once you get to your junior year, you’ll have to start looking for off campus housing. A few of the off campus buildings will coordinate with Towson and you can arrange to use your scholarships or financial aid toward your housing. Some allow for individual leases while others require a group lease. A small few allow for term by term leasing, but many require a full year lease. So, you’re paying for housing and you’re not on campus. You’ll have to start looking for housing early. It fills up fast. You’ll pay for a parking permit at your apartment and pay again for an on-campus parking permit if you have to drive to your classes. Plan on walking a lot or taking advantage of the free shuttle service. All students have access to free shuttle service – a definite perk. You can buy a meal plan regardless of where you live. They have a lot of options including block meal plans for commuters. Some of the plans allow you to head to an on-campus cafeteria alternative. You are allocated so much money per food swipe. So you can go to a fast food place on campus and use food swipes to pay for your burger and fries. Your swipes zero out every Thursday night and it’s use it or lose it. You also have dining dollars that come with some food plans to use if you go beyond your swipes for the week. Your folks can jump on line and add more dining dollars. Everything you do is held on your One Card. The One Card can act as a debit card of sorts if someone is kind enough to want to transfer money to it. You use it as your fee shuttle pass, access to your dorm room, and to swipe at the cafeteria for your meals. You can also add vending points to it. Vending points can be used for a quick soda or to do your laundry.

Laura

A small, but growing college. Has green initiative, but is administratively heavy and many classes feel like they are at the high school level. The parking is lack-luster, in the parking policies it even says that the garages are normally full by 10 am and are first come first serve, so if you have a mid-morning or afternoon class then that's just too bad. The parking pass is also expensive. On top of the tuition I already pay, part of which is for sports events I will never attend, I have to pay additionally for parking.

Jada

Towson is a great place to meet new people and become affiliated in on-campus groups. The food is not always the best, but there are some places you can go where it will be subpar. Everyone on campus is extremely outspoken, which can cause some problems in the long-run. Overall, it is a great campus that can always improve for the better.

Juan

Towson is a great school but as an out-of-state student, it is hard to make friends because everyone here is very "cliquey". If you don't find a group of friends soon, then you'll be quite out of luck as the semester goes on. Other than that, there is plenty of stuff to do and you can stay busy.

Ariana

I just transferred to Towson University and it is the best decision I have made. I am obsessed with Towson. It is a big and beautiful school. Most of the building look brand new and there are so many different things to do here. The people I have met are so genuine and I connected with them immediately. I could spend more than just 4 years at Towson. I love it.

Erin

It is great for academics and the professors are generally reasonable. The student life is lively and there is always something to do on campus! If you love urban areas, but do not want to be fully in the city - this is a great place to be. However, the parking situation is horrible!

Tiffany

Towson University is a wonderful school for people who wish to partake in prideful and creative activities with friends. Also, new friends are always around the corner waiting for you, Towson has such a wonderful diverse community that anyone will feel welcome. The only problem is the comfort of the beds. Even though the campus overall is a wonderful place for academics and social life, the beds can really put a damper on someone who sleeps on them every night. Therefore, Towson University should discuss how they will tackle this inconvenience because college is a home away from home, and everyone should have a friendly and comfortable experience.

Patrick

It's not too bad. Educationally it's pretty good and the student body is very diverse. I'm thankful to be a student there. School provides a straight-forward focus for me and allows me to experience a wide range of new opportunities! The sporting events could be promoted better though!

Alyssa

Towson is a beautiful campus and gives students a big opportunity to learn and be successful. The community is big and friendly, you always feel at home and welcomed. There are a lot of on campus activities for you to enjoy, he campus never lets you feel left out because there is plenty of things to join in the area.

Tyra

I think that when you get to really see the opportunities and the campus life it becomes a top interest school. It is a beautiful place and a variety of people and excellent programs. I visited the school three times and was recently accepted into it. I’m proud to be apart of Towson.

I value the education that I have received at Towson University. I graduated with my bachelors degree in 2015 and now I am pursuing my graduate degree. I respect and love this school enough to continue my education. I have received a great education and opportunities at Towson such as internships and scholarships. Attending Towson, you are exposed to so many things and people that will truly enrich your life. In the College of Fine Arts and Communication, I have been exposed to so many cultural things such as artist from all walks of life.

Zachary

Towson University is a great school. It is large, but professors are still accessible. As a part-time commuter student who also has a job, I have never had difficulty getting in touch with my professors when I need them. There are plenty of extracurricular activities and way to get involved on campus for students, as well. Towson is currently building a new science building, which I wish had been available during my time here (I will graduate by the time it is expected to be complete). The current science building is not large enough, and there are not always multiple sections of required courses offered due to space limitations. This can make it difficult for me to schedule classes, since I need to schedule them around work. For all science students, this also creates difficulty enrolling in all required courses during a given semester (classes we need might fill up, so we may have to wait to take a course until a later semester). Given that Towson is such a large school, this is an issue, but the new building should hopefully alleviate some of the pressure. Overall, I have enjoyed my time at Towson University!