Angola, IN

Trine University

« See more reviews of Trine University

My advice for prospective students would be to make a thorough search when looking at schools. Students will hear it from their parents, school counselors, and anyone else that gives them advice, so it may sound clich?, but it is the best advice I have received. If there is a school you like, visit it. Apply. There is no such thing as applying to too many schools; you can always turn down a school, but if you choose not to apply and change your mind later, it may be too late. Also, very importantly, talk to the students on campus. This will result in the most valuable information you can receive, because if you go to that school you will be with those students, and will most likely share their thoughts and feelings about that school. I have talked to many college students who regretted the choice they made after realizing how poor their program is, or how poor of a reputation their field has with very few jobs and low salary. Talking to students going through that will open your eyes and help you make the right decision. The best advice out there really is to simply investigate first.

Dear Self, I am going to take some time to reassure you on some of your "unspoken worries". No, you will not regret not moving away to school, you will save money, still have a "life", and of course, still learn. Yes, you will change and/or doubt your major, just like everyone has said is normal. Your "passion" for teaching will turn into a thought about dental hygiene; which will transform into a thought about being a paralegal, and will end with double majoring at a school you currently know nothing about in the fields of Psychology, and Criminal Justice. You may doubt what I am saying now, but trust me, when you finally make the decision to pursue Psychology, the Earth will shift and you'll know it's 100% the right choice. Some friendships will dissolve, with your choice to stay local, but the relationships you will make in the upcoming years will be life-changing. With the confidence, support, love, and faith we possess- nothing is out of reach. Enjoy your senior year! With Love, Me

I would look back and tell myself, go to a school for the major you want to do for the rest of your life, not for sports, girls, or anything else. Be ready to manage your own time and do not think that just because you are on your own and you have no parents around, that you can do what you want and still get your homework done and pass classes. Do your homework first everyday after classes then spend the rest of the day relaxing and hanging out with friends. Do not drink or party during the week. It is college and everybody thinks it is just like the movies and it is all one big party. Really, there is more to college life than that. If you do drink and party during the week, you will fail. On the weekends, by all means man go crazy, as long as all your homework is finished. Once Sunday hits, you better crack down and get back into school mode. Finally, do not room with someone you grew up with or graduated with, because by the end of the first semester you will hate them.

The best advise I could give to a parent and/or student about finding the right college would be to get your name out to as many colleges in your range of schools. The best way to find the right college is to get accepted everywhere you can and then visit all of them. Don't rule any of them out either, until you have compaired Financial aid packages and seen the campuses. Then as you go on, all you need to do is rule out the one that are too far away or the ones that may not give you any Financial aid awards. As you narrow down the colleges your dream school will begin to slowly sneak out of the pile. When you have it narrow down to 4 or so schools make another visit to all that is left! Visiting is the best way to get to know your schools. Then after visiting again your mostly going to have a really good idea on where your going to want to go. If not visit again and keep on comparing Financial aid until you feel like your making the correct choice.

I would tell myself to save as much money as I possibly could. I would tell myself that I should look for a job in my first year as soon as I could. I would have told myself not to join a sorority at this school simply because it does not end well. I would have told myself to not eat so much and be extremely frugal with my money. Living paycheck to paycheck is hard and it is stressful. I would tell myself that I should not try so hard to make people like me, those that like me for me will come naturally. I would say that I am proud that I waited until I was of age to drink alcohol socially. I would say to treasure the last moments I have with my high school friends because I won't talk to them again. Make more of an effort to keep in touch with Cherish and do not get into the fight with Aunt Tiffany. More or less I would make sure I knew that things are going to be okay and that I need to cherish this time and try to make the most of it.

Most people believe that college is all about having a great experience, well, you'll get that no matter what school you attend. The most important thing is to find a school that will give you an affordable way to get the education to lead you to a career you want to do. The education comes first, everything else, such as good times and fun, will follow. If you can get a job in the career field that you want, you will be much happier with your life. If you are confused when you start college, go to a big school, by the time you figure out what you want to do, you'll still be able to transfer to a school that specializes in that field. The education should always come first, but use that time to find out who you are as well. Develop the habits that will be most useful to you after life in college. Be who you are, no matter where you go, there will be people who share the same feelings and interests as you.

I believe a lot of students go to schools and transfer out after the first semester or year because they have not done there research on the school. There are many websites out there that have information about schools and there are even a few books that have a lot of great information you cannot find on the web. I would start off with a list of schools you would like to consider and slowly cross off schools after you do research on them. I started with a list of 20 schools then made a list of things I want from a school (ex: size, sports, average gpa, location, do they have your major, etc.) After countless hours of looking over every aspect of each school I narrowed it down to four. Then I took a campus tour of those schools and stayed over night with a member of the golf team (I do play golf), I believe not only visiting the school but staying a night or two there is very important.

Take your time and find the college that is right for you. Don't just choose a college because of the rooms or the town that it is in. Doing this will only make you miserable when you attend the school. Don't give up on a college just because the price is too high. Most likely, there will be a lot of financial aid available. When you are at the school, stay the weekends and don't party too hard. You want to remember your school for more than just the parties. Don't be afraid to go up to new people and get acquainted. They most likely won't bite and will be friendly. The people around you are the same as you - wanting to know other people. Work hard but make time to have fun sometimes.

College is a lot about getting a great education and figuring out what you want to do for the rest of you life, but its more then just that. It's also about learning about yourself, how to be independent and do things for yourself, how to not turn your laundry pink more then once, and how to pick yourself up after falling down. If you can find the school where that balance is something you want to be a part of, jump on in and take a chance. Not everyone gets lucky in finding their right school the first time, so if you aren't happy, go somewhere where you are. College is a once and a lifetime chance, a stepping stone, and its something you don't want to miss.

I would tell students looking at colleges, to ignore where their friends are going to school. The only thing that is important is that the school you plan on attending fits you as an individual. The schools your friends goto might not be the best fit for you, while fitting their friends perfectly. That's the beauty of going to college, you get to meet a bunch of new people. You just have to go to the best school for you and then get out there. Be outgoing. If you are not outgoing how will you ever meet new people, at school? Meeting and making new friends is one of the best perks of going to school.