Hartford, CT
Trinity College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Trinity College

Jackie

Up to a point. There are a fair number of students who are fairly well off and went to prep schools, but there are also a lot of students who do not.

The big problem at Trinity is that the main people who throw parties are the frateritnies. There's also a huge drinking culture on campus, so it can be very hard to find people who don't drink. That being said, there are there if you look for them. For example, the Fred aims to be a social space without alcohol.

Lindsey

I think the students at Trinity are the best part. I love my friends and I love hanging out with them all of the time. Sometimes I do think the campus is somewhat small because most people know what goes on with everyone else, but the class sizes are great and you can find many great groups of friends! There is good amount of school pride, but it's not like the big division 1 schools. A lot of people attend sporting events because most Trinity teams are really good and the games are fun to watch. Sporting events are also a good social event. I will always remember Spring Weekend. It is absolutely crazy and I have never had more fun in weekend at Trinity!

I think there are some racial issues at Trinity, but I also think you will find those type of issues at most other schools as well. I don't think many people feel out of place at Trinity because there are so many different types of people on campus. Students wear all different kinds of clothes to class. Some people just wear sweatpants and others get pretty dressed up, but you'll find all different types of clothing on any given day. There are a lot of Trinity students from the New England area, but I have friends from California, Oregon, Illinois, India, Pakistan, and Hong Kong too.

No, trust me...my parents do not pay for everything. I am completely on my own with money and I have a job on campus. Even though there is a lot of work, it pays off. Most people have jobs right out of college and...we work hard, but we party even harder!

I have liked the majority of my professors, but some of them can be really boring or just plain mean. Most of the professors are extremely smart and interesting to listen to, which makes me want to go to class. Really early classes are pretty hard to wake up for, but it's nice to get class out of the way and have the afternoon to do work and relax! I think most students at Trinity are pretty competitive because it is pretty hard school. I see most of my professors outside of class during office hours or meetings. They are very easy to get in touch with and are very supportive of you. The Trinity academic requirements are easy to fulfill and most people want to take classes in the areas you need to take classes in. I am a Psychology and Public Policy & Law double major and I have found some really interesting classes. Some classes that are required for my majors are really hard, but once you get the requirements over with, the electives are much more fun! Most people are able to line up a job before they leave Trinity College, which is awesome! I honestly cannot think of one senior I know that doesn't already have a job lined up for when they graduate.

A large amount of Trinity students are involved in many different organizations on campus. There are intramural sports, club teams, fraternities, sororities, religious groups, and many others. Athletic events are pretty popular especially when the weather is nice and people want to hang out outside. Students at Trinity stay up pretty late most nights of the week, but sometimes it's nice to go to bed early. You can find people going out any night of the week, but the most popular nights to go out are Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Most people hang out in their dorm rooms or at students' apartments off campus and then go to a fraternity or sorority. Students also go to the few bars around Trinity's campus in Hartford.

Everyone is very rich and their parents pay for everything. You don't have to do any work.

Trinity is the perfect size school. I love going to a school where there is always the chance to meet new people, yet I also feel like I have a large network of friends and therefore, I am always walking on campus and saying Hi to different people. I feel that Trinity is full of students who like to work hard yet also play hard on the weekend, which is great! I love having fun on the weekends but also being at a school where everyone really cares about their school work. I think Trinity has great school pride because of our tight knit community.

I think that Trinity has started to become more diverse place but it still isn't the most diverse school. I feel that some students would feel out of place if they were from an ethic background. Most students dress really nice for class. I would not describe Trinity as a place where many people wear sweatpants or sloppy clothes to class.

Trinity is a great school for people who want to make good friendships, have a close knit environment, and a wonderful education!

Yes in some ways. Most of the student body is white and tend to be from similar areas. We share many of the same similarities in how we like to spend our time both in the classroom and outside.

Trinity is a wonderful school in terms of their academics. The professors are all wonderful and they really care about their students. Almost all of my professors know my name and have gotten to know me out side of the classroom. Trinity is a very competitive school, since all of the students are very intellectual and like to do their best. I am an art history major, and the department is wonderful. All of the teachers are great professors but also really smart, funny, and great people.

Trinity is a very athletic school so many people are involved in either varsity sports or club teams. I am not on a sports team, but I do go often to the games and am a big supporter. I have been involved in the Student Alumni Ambassador group where we meet with alumni and encourage them to give back to the school. Most people go out on both friday and sat nights and like to have fun. And fraternities control the social scene.

Many people believe that Trinity is a school full of white, rich, preppy kids. However, Trinity has become more diverse over the last few years.

Kelly

The social scene is a lot of fun, its small but I like that because you know a lot of people around campus. Hartford is not a great city but West Hartford is close by and it has many good restaurants etc. Safety on campus is a big issue.

The trinity community is not very tolerant. The student body is fairly homogeneous. People get pretty dressed up for classes and look very put together. A lot of people come from similar high schools or situations. A lot of students are conservative.

They are re-doing our main building which will be very nice. When its nice out, everyone is out on the quad hanging out in the sun and barbequeing. Everyone goes to the baseball games and hangs out outside.

Class sizes differ a lot. Most teachers know my name and they are most of the times very approachable. There are some good classes which are very interesting. There are good intern opportunities in and around Hartford. The core requirements are pretty standard and I like that there is no language requirement.

there is a lot of emphasis on sports teams and greek life. The freshman year program is good for meeting people because you live with the people in your freshman year seminar. People go out on Tuesdays, Thursdays and the weekend nights. There is a lot of emphasis on drinking. Most things happen on campus.

That they are preppy, rich, white, and do a lot of drugs.

Katherine

Trinity is a small school, but there are many new activities and people to experience if you seek them out. The size allows people to be involved. If you are willing to put in the effort any opportunity will be available to you. Professors are extremely attentive, available, interested and helpful. We're in a rough neighborhood, but the school has become conscientious in the past couple years about improving campus safety. We have few security incidents compared to other urban schools. The campus can seem isolating if you don't have a car.

Lots of diversity, but segregated. Can integrate yourself.

You are responsible for making Trinity a great experience for yourself, but it can be if you are willing to put in that effort.

If you are willing to put in the effort, you will succeed. Professors are always interested in helping their students if there students show an interest. Professors are really accessible.

Trinity students are goodlooking.

Lindsey

I don't like having such a great school in such a terrible neighborhood. It definately takes away from my experience here. It's unsafe and I feel like the campus is not equiped to handle this.

I feel that there are many different social groups on campus that do not mesh. Even if they do try and mesh, the stereotype is that they don't and thus, I believe this won't change. It's not that people of different races don't mix, its that people with similar interests just group together.

I think the topics were covered. I just really want to emphasize Trinity's blind eye to the unsafe neighborhood. Even though they have done some things they need to do more!

I think the academics here are wonderful. I have been able to take all the classes that I have wanted to and I think I am getting an excellent education.

I love the Trinity social life. I have met my best friends here. I am in a sorority and I thought it really helped me branch out and get to know girls that I otherwise would not have got to know. We go out to dinner alot, but drinking is a big part of life here, and I can't think of many people that mind that.

Preppy, Rich, Good-Looking, Athletic

Jillian

I was just recently in Nantucket for a family funeral. Amungst relatives and friends I was asked how I was enjoying college and where I went. Every time I answered with "I'm at Trinity College" each response was extremly postive and telling of just how much pride we have in our school, especially when we graduate. "I work with a guy from Trinity and he is always talking about how great his years at Trinity were" or "the networking from there is incredible, you'll have no trouble finding a job" or "how about the campus, its in Hartford but just 10 minutes away is West Hartford, what amazing resturants that town has" For me it's just amazing being at a college I know I will continue to be proud of even after I graduate.

The study body does have a wealthy population but money isn't everything, in the classroom setting it doesn't matter how much money you have in your bank account, its a matter of how hard you work and care about your studies. In terms of sorority life there are many different financle plans one could be on and Trinity is very supporive to allowing every student a chance or opporuntiy.

I have a learning dissability and every professor I've had here is extremly helpful to make sure they are accomidating. Its always nice to see a professor in a local coffee shop and have them smile and be excited to say hello. Even on a saturday night at a party if I see someone from class we will occaionally talk about our class and the upcomming paper or how interesting we think the current book is. I've also received grades on papers I wasn't too happy with and the professors are always happy to meet with me and go over there comment.

rich, preppy, concervative, racist

Kendall

I think the school is a perfect size; big enough to not know everyone, yet small enough to know people while walking around campus. I also like the advantages of being located close to both Boston and New York.

Most students are from the suburbs of New York and Boston, and have previously attended relatively small high schools in those areas or boarding schools throughout the east coast.

to a certain extent, but you have to keep in mind that the whole east coast and other NESCAC colleges are very similar

A plus to the small size is the individual attention that each student receives from the professors.

Athletic events are most popular in the spring, when the weather is nice. The frat scene is not all important, but it does tend to focus the social events for the weekends. Only 10 % of the student body participates, so it is not the only activity on campus.

julia

trinity has a beautiful campus, but there is no "college town" area. the area it is in is really bad so you just have to be smart and protect yourself (dont walk alone at night, etc). its a great place if you want a small school but you have to know that is what you want because otherwise you could feel it is too small. the dorms are pretty terrible, but whats great is that everyone lives on campus so its a really fun community to be in.

a lot of trinity students come from affluent families, but there is a pretty diverse mix of people. there is an equal mix of prep school kids and public school kids. religion is not really an issue on campus, though race has been in the past. you can tell which girls are freshman and which are seniors because the freshman get really dressed up for class, while the seniors dont care anymore. students are not very politically active, though they have been more recently with the upcoming election. money is a topic of conversation depending on what groups you run in, but it doesnt have to be.

i wish trinity had a better alumni networking system.

you can make your trinity experience whatever you want. if you want to make the sterotype accurate you can. as for the drugs, perhaps in some circles they are rampant, but again, if thats not your scene it doesnt have to be.

some classes are small, seminar classes, which are discussion based. others are larger lecture type classes. within your major you will have requirements, but there is a lot of options of taking classes outside your major. there are some really interesting choices such as bioethics, jewish traditions, or a class on Elvis, Dylan, and Springsteen, just to name a few. Teachers are willing to help and it easy to develop relationships with them outside of class if you make the effort. They are implementing a foreign language requirement soon, and there is also 1 math requirement, and 1 science requirement. other than that it is really flexible. most people are either psychology, economics, poli sci, art history, or religion majors. its liberal arts so there are no classes about business which is too bad because its tough to figure out what you wanna do after trinity.

the greek system, in my opinion, is a great part of trinity. there are about 6 fraternities and 2 sororities. freshman year most people hang out with the other freshman in their dorms, and then sophomore year they tend to branch out a little more. people pledge frats/soroities sophomore year. i am in kappa, which has been one of the best experiences. when frats/sororities have a party, they are usually ticket parties, so you need to know someone in the organization to get in. there are other options for things to do if you dont want to go to frats though, i just dont know what they are! off campus there is a good downtown hartford area with some fun bars and really great restaurants but its about a 5 minute drive.

that they love to party and do a lot of drugs

jenny

I love that are student population is smaller, and thus you really get a feel of a close-knit community. In addition, I have relationships with Professors and feel that I get a lot more out of the smaller classes that are available at Trinity. I also like the social environment such as, sports games, greek life, and community service programs available to help out the rest of the Hartford community. However, I would, without a doubt, change the open campus policy and hope that there will be better means of security and safety precautions on campus. While I am aware of the dangers of living in any City, Hartford has proven to be especially problematic as a result of nearby gangs and their lack of respect for the Trinity community. As a female student, who was also driven off campus during my sophomore year for lack of housing, I find that streets such as Allen place and Crescent need far better surveilance. In addition, the rest of the campus should be closed because there are far too many instances of Trinity students, women and men alike, being assaulted or harassed.

I think while there are perceptions of wealthy, preppy students as a majority of the student body at Trinity, this is not really the case. As a result of sports, multiple majors, and a collection of students from all over the Country, Trinity offers many different domains that appeal to a diverse group of people, and thus creates an environment for different types of students to interact and develop commonalities.

I think most are overgeneralized perceptions, which is what makes it a stereotype, but I also believe these perceptions arise from some kernnel of truth

As I said before, I am most satisfied with the smaller classes and the relationships that you are able to develop with your Professors, rather than just being defined by a collected paper or test. I find that my Professors make a strong effort to learn names and allow the student to participate in a comfortable environment.

Greek life is very dominant on campus, as well as athletic teams. I think the reason Greek life places such a large part in the social aspect of Trinity life, is because of the lack of other social activities available off campus. For instance, I know many students are scepticle about their safety venturing off to bars or concerts in Hartford, when students are being assaulted on campus, a place that is supposed to be seen a protective.

Wealthy, stuck-up, spoiled, preppy, smart, athletic

Trinity College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.