Hartford, CT
Trinity College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Trinity College

Lucy

There's a lack of community at this school that can make it hard to find friends and a place to fit in. People here grew up a certain way and expect their friends to share their values. Unfortunately for most, these values are highly materialistic; people are judged on what they are wearing rather than by who they are. It is not a welcoming community at all. I was told that I would find myself in college, and instead I feel even more lost than before.

I would tell myself to really think about the schools I was applying to. There's much more that matters than just colleges with prestige. You should choose the college that makes you proud to go there but also makes you feel like you are exactly where you belong. You also shouldn't be so quick to leave everything behind because you really are going to miss everyone and the life you had before college. Take every factor into consideration when applying to and choosing schools.

If you had trouble fitting in and finding yourself in high school, this is not the school for you. It can be even more exclusive than my high school was, and it's hard for people who just want to make friends and find a place to fit in. I would not recommend it to anyone who comes from a less-than-affluent family, both because of the social environment and because the school finds every excuse to take money from its students.

Thomas

Relax. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to be extremely successful at almost any school you might have the choice to attend. If you want to go to graduate school, it matters even less where you go to undergrad, since employers will mainly care about where you went to finish your education, and graduate schools will mainly care about your GPA and relative standing in your school. Instead of prestige, focus on challenging yourself and going somewhere that will offer as many opportunities as possible. Move in as soon as possible and get started immediately, bite off more than you can chew. Do things that make you uncomfortable, things that you've always wanted to do, things that you've never done before. Study abroad! Take Tai Chi! Read! Write! Perform Experiments! Play sports! Compete! Join clubs! Start your own club! Make money! Make a difference! As Mark Twain once said, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

The professors here are fantastic. That alone would have convinced me much more quickly that this was the correct choice for my undergraduate career.

Cullen

As I enter my final year at Trinity, a reflection on my past three years is well described by the feeling of fullness. Beginning with my first year seminar, Trinity has maintained a fruitful degree of academic rigor that, while accompanied by individual attention (student faculty ratio 9:1), challenges every student become their exceptional self. This pursuit does not end in the classroom; by the end of my first month, I was working in the on-campus coffeehouse, acting in the fall production, tutoring elementary students, and attending scholarship meetings. At a large university, this tight-schedule might be daunting--impossible, even. At Trinity, personal relationships with faculty and students is indispensable. Whether you need help scheduling, finding extracurriculars, or applying for research/ internship opportunities, Trinity's faculty is there for every student--available before, during, and after office hours. Currently, fresh off the flight from studying abroad, I am living on campus working for Trinity's Admissions Office. I will be completing my final year, writing two thesis & taking in as much as I can in my final lap around. If you think a small, liberal arts school is a fit, absolutely come visit Hartford & take a tour of the college. It was one of the most rewarding choices of my young life.

Academics are challenging, especially high expectations of writing. Even if its a theatre or calculus course, there will always be a major writing component. While abroad in Paris, which features visiting Trinity professors, we would often take classes out at cafés, jardins, or museums. In my french literature course we had only two students--including myself--which allowed for some exceptional opportunities. For our Diderot lecture, the three of us visited the location where he penned Rameau's Nephew (our assignment for the week). This coming year, I will be writing two thesis for my double-major Theatre & Dance and Film Studies. The former will be concerning the theatrical works of Albert Camus and the latter will be a short film. Needless to say, my year will have plenty of work in store, yet I am well prepared and honestly quite excited to get started.

Anthony

Trinity is a place that has varying opportunities and adversities for each different kind of person. Any person should attent. A universal quality a person should have if attending is ability to accept and be open to learning about the differences of another. S/he has to be able to intellectually challenge her/his classmates in an academic setting. S/he should show pride in a community of young students learning. S/he needs to be aware of and not judge the lack of privilege in the immediate area of hartford that surrounds Trinity.

Although it has been growing in my time here, there is a not much of a sense of community at Trinity. True, I have found my niche and met beautiful people. The campus climate is slowly changing for the better and becoming more open to difference. It's most exhausting aspect is the fear of dialogue in classes (excluding ones that I have taken within my [Theatre & Dance] major). This is disappointing since I wanted to be challenged by my peers as much as my Professors.

The advice I would give myself would start with a story. This is how it would go: Hey, Anthony. On your 21st birthday you will be in London with your best friend. You will walk into a tattoo shop in Deptford, near Laban. You will get the words " wash. " in cursive, lining the bottom of your left clavicle. It's placement will be because of the beauty of its contours in all human beings, and the perplexing nature of its fragility to any form of pressure over nine pounds. It will be your national anthem. Whenever you get close to a state of sadness, or rumination, or negativity you will wash yourself. You will breathe, decide on whether you want to write, read, run, dance, listen to music, or do anything else to wash. You will then be able to approach any trials with strength and optimism. Trinity will be a challenge, but you have an opportunity with this Posse Scholarship. You can survive academically and socially, especially if you gain confidence in your education thus far and sexuality. I love you.

Armon

The school is best known for academic success in the western part of Texas. This is school is ranked nationally in the top 50 for DII schools. Furthermore, we have a live buffalo at the football games to represent the WT Buffs!

If I could go back in time, I would have focused more in my advanced math classes. I didn't realize that my degree would reintroduce me to Precalculus or Statistics. I did well in those classes, but I could had done better. More focus in those classes would have gave me a better foundation. Arithmetic is used constantly in my field of study, so I would had made it easier upon. myself.

An individual that prefers to be alone shouldn't attend WT. This campus has many friendly students and faculty that encourages campus involvement.

Christine

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would tell myself to buckle up because it's going to be a bumpy ride! When college was portrayed to me in high school, it seemed fun and carefree, but that isn't necessarily the case. When you watch movies and they are depicting the life of a college student they show these huge dorm rooms and students going to parties at night, but the truth is if you want to be successful in college you have to prioritize and know how to handle stress. Work first and play later. College is hard and everyone deserves a break from the stress and chaos, so it's okay to " let loose" every once in a while. Just make sure you get your business done first and then reward yourself later for all your hard work.

Chelse

I would tell myself that college is not as bad as you thought it was. There are classes that you can take that will help you transition into the college life and ways of studying and doing homework. There are tutors available unlike high school, so if you are stuck with anything, get a tutor or ask your professor to help you; they are more than willing to help you pass and succeed with your education. You do not have to worry about figuring out what you want to go to school for because there is no rush, there are advisors at the colleges that can help you figure out classes that you might be interested in that could also help you. One more major thing; don’t ever give up.

Allie

Small, difficult classes, our squash team, which has one 13 consecutive national championships, and our strong alumni network...

As a high school senior, my ideals and dreams led me on a much different path than one I would choose for myself today. As a current transfer sophomore, though my personal interests have not been revolutionized by any means, my ability to recognize and prioritize these interests has improved considerably. Although in the grand scheme of things two years is not an extraordinary amount of time, I feel as though the perception I have of myself and of the world around me has changed dramatically. If I knew in my last months of high school that choosing a college is important, but not the most important decision of my lifetime, the burden of the choice would not have hindered my ability to enjoy myself during my last year. In order to truly be happy at the institution of your choice, you need to first come to terms with who you are, not only as a student but as a person. Being confident is the only solution to your pre-college nerves. Without understanding that you can in fact live on your own and adjust to the college lifestyle, you never will. Enjoy your time now and always!

Someone who doesn't enjoy small classes, someone who is very liberal, or someone who does not want to live in a community centered around (albeit small) school sports.

MARCOS

The kind of person that is unresponsible and do not enjoy school work. The kind that come to slack off.

I would keep my way instead of starting to years laters i would have gone straight to it.

Evan

College life is one of leisure, relaxation, hard work, and complex thinking. Common things such as reading the newspaper, learning about the stock market, and even doing assigned reading can make all the difference in college. This is the advice I would give myself if I could look back on things. It is essential to gain an appreciation for the business world and global politics, even more vital that you are an active member of the community at an early age. Getting into the habit of thinking under pressure, understanding mature subjects, and valuing education is something that every student, especially a high school student, can improve upon. Many college hopefuls believe that grades, standardized tests, and teacher recommendations will result in a successful transition to the university, but this is simply not true. Extracurricular activities, community service, and internships can never be undervalued. The true difference makers are those who are committed to understanding the tough issues and genuinely looking to impact the world around them. Grades will not save the world, but rather the thinkers and scholars who help others, teach others, and conquer the real issues of the 21st century. This is what makes a true student!

I look forward to attending Trinity College very much. The student who yearns to attend a small liberal arts college where they feel noticed and feel I that they matter should apply. Even with the large surrounding city, you will still have the ability to relax in a secluded place where you can enjoy the view of a gorgeous New England sunset. Trinity College is prestigious and it is one of a kind, being located in an intimate setting in the hills outside of Hartford. They boast a world-class faculty that should certainly not be overlooked!

I wish that I would have realized how fortunate I was to be accepted here. Not only will I receive a prestigious education, but I will get to play tennis and be an NCAA athlete! I wish that I could have told other prospective college applicants about the benefits of attending a liberal arts college, because quite frankly, a public university often does not compare to the small class sizes and open-ended curriculum. I am thrilled with the opportunity that awaits me, and I will do my very best to work as hard as I can!

Trinity College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.