Hartford, CT

Trinity College

« See more reviews of Trinity College

While diversity in terms of race is important, Trinity should be taking a closer look at socioeconomic and regional diversity. They are never going to attract new types of students until they break the stereotype of being a school for privileged white kids. Trinity wants racial diversity but they won't get it until they get other types of diversity. The first weekend of freshman orientation there is a speaker who tries to tell the class as a whole some of the statistics about the class, as well as leading students through all sorts of exercises that try to break stereotypes, yada yada. The one thing I still remember was when the woman asked people to stand up for one of these categories: your family always had more than enough, enough, or not enough. more than half of the room stood up for more than enough. you can take that as a bunch of americans acknowledging that almost anyone that lives in this country has more than enough, or you can take that as everyone immediately interpreting those categories as upper, middle, and lower class. there have been some major issues in the last few years involving homophobia and sexism on campus. the trinity tripod, the student newspaper, frequently makes jokes out of sexual assaults and other gender issues on campus. there is a lot of backlash against the only alternative group on campus, The Fred, which was put together several years ago as a way for students unhappy with the party/greek life centered social scene. it is not intended to be anti-alcohol, and is not, but it provides more alternative types of events, where those who are uncomfortable with drinking and excessive partying can feel safe and comfortable. in general, extracurriculars outside of sports are not very strong, with the exception of the greek system. but most clubs and other societies don't have strong followings. any attempts at political activism are largely ignored. if you want a place where it takes less than a year to have recycling bins installed on campus, i suggest somewhere where people give a shit. my guess would be if you average it all out, political leanings are straight down the center.

There is not a huge population of LGBTQI students on campus, but they are certainly visible and to my knowledge have small communities that are available to them. Different types of students don't really interact. Most trinity students are from the northeast i think, but there are many from other parts of the country, and usually a handful of students from eastern europe. Most people are more than affluent but there are plenty of students on work study and financial aid. there are great opportunities here for political awareness and activism, but unfortunately this is a predominantly apathetic campus with the exception of a substantial group of people. The faculty at trinity is definitely left, but the students are moderate-to-left...moderate usually indicating apathy here. although, trinity college republicans exists and has existed for a long time.

It seems like there are two different groups at Trinity, the large majority of 'typical' trinity kids, and then everyone else. The typical Trinity student is usually very economically stable. Students are generally preppy, athletic, and either went to private/boarding schools for high school or excellent public high schools. Boys wear whatever to class, ranging from sweat pants to khakis, they kind of have a typical 'new england' look (llbean, patagonia, polo, vineyard vines, sports gear). Girls tend to get more dressed up for class and spend a lot of time on appearance, even when they are in sweats they are cute looking sweats.

i think that it is evident that a majority of the campus comes from wealthy backgrounds and that a lot of students went to small private schools before they attended a small, private college. however, while there is a large amount of students in this position, there is also a huge population of students who did not come from private schools, etc. i think that trinity students are relatively politcally aware but probabaly not as much as on other campuses. on average, i would say that trinity students (males and females) get dressed up for class-everyone tends to look good when they go to class.

Trinity is a fairly homogeneous student body and it has been said that minority students sometimes feel out of place. The main type of student found at Trinity is a white, preppy, upper class student who is found at one of the many fraternity parties offered on the weekends. Most students dress up to go to class, which is something that is often criticized by other students at Trinity who do not fit into this preppy category. Different groups of students typically do not interact much. At the dining hall, the tables are extremely segregated mostly based on race and socio-economic status.

I think there are some racial issues at Trinity, but I also think you will find those type of issues at most other schools as well. I don't think many people feel out of place at Trinity because there are so many different types of people on campus. Students wear all different kinds of clothes to class. Some people just wear sweatpants and others get pretty dressed up, but you'll find all different types of clothing on any given day. There are a lot of Trinity students from the New England area, but I have friends from California, Oregon, Illinois, India, Pakistan, and Hong Kong too.

majority are white new england prep school kids... people with similar socioeconomic backgrounds stick together campus seems to be very segregated in terms of social groups. students are generally apathetic, not as much left, right, or center. four tables of students: 1. pastel / lily pulitzer wearing preppy kids (boys and girls) with the same longchamp bag. 2. large people - football/basketball players 3. black kids 4. general weird kids that don't fit into the top three categories

Most students come from New England but there is also a substantial population from California and even Minnesota. Trinity can be a bit intimidating to students who are not aware of or used to upper-class north eastern culture. However, I think that a good majority of students are welcoming and accepting and, if student participate in school functions and get out and about on campus, most people can find someone or some group of people that they can relate to or share interests with.

The student body is not all that diverse at Trinity. There has been a lot of tension between different groups for a long time. Trinity is also one of the least accepting campus in many ways. Trinity is a school where students find is necessary to flaunt their designed fashion to class (or their attempted designer fashion). There is a definite feel of money in the air. The student body is really something you have to experience to have an idea about it.

It is disheartening to think that any student would fele out of place at Trinity. However, the reality of college, as in life, is that not every college is the perfect fit. I am the stereotype - blonde hair, blue eyes, preppy little girl. However, it bothers me when people feel racially, religiously, etc. on the outside because I have never treated anyone differently based on these things. You are the only one that can make yourself feel inferior.