Hartford, CT

Trinity College

« See more reviews of Trinity College

As described above, my classmates are encouraging and willing to offer help when needed.

preppy rich kids that are trying to figure out life on their own

In my classes brilliant, in some others they can be rather dumb.

Bright, energetic, and friendly.

Preppy alcoholics mostly.

My best friends.

I would say that any student who is not upper class, straight, and white would feel somewhat out of place at Trinity. I don't know how common this is at other colleges, but people tend to segregate themselves largely by race, or at least students of color vs. white students. There were some instances about a year ago of a few black students having racial slurs written on their doors, as well as a strange incident where a white student went in black face to a Halloween party impersonating/mocking a black person. After this incident, some students of color (mostly black and hispanic) organized an event at the dining hall where they purposely sat at tables of all white students to try to break the pattern. Basically, (and this is coming from a white student!) the white students could be more friendly towards people of color. Only the athletic teams seem to be more integrated. Trinity is a Division III school, but we stilll take sports fairly seriously. Half of the student body participates in competitive sports, and people often make friends based on their sport. Don't believe the admission office when they say that students come from all over the state, generally they come from New England and the Mid-Atlantic area. There are a decent number from California, but coming from CA I still often felt a little out of place. Politically I'd say most students are democratic / central, but I would stilll say there are still more conservatives / more vocal conservatives than most colleges. It probably feels like there are more conservatives than there really are. Most female students are very into dressing in expensive clothing of hte jcrew /seven jeans variety to class. I have some wonderful friends at Trinity, and I am not speaking for the entire student body, but I would say the majority is more close minded, less friendly, and more homogenous than the average student body.

Racial tensions at Trinity are especially high, which I think is mostly due to the way issues are exggerated. I feel that the african american community on campus bands together based on the fact that they think Trinity is full of "white rich kids." By doing this, they discriminate against themselves because, from my experience, Trinity is very accepting of all kinds of people. I think that people can either socialize with people based on the fact that their differences are the same, or they can just allow everyone, no matter who they are, to be their friend. Most Trinity students seem to be from an east-coast boarding-school. And if you ask just about anyone on campus where they are from, the response will be "twenty min outside Boston." In the dining hall, there's ALWAYS the guy's crew table, with the most people and then a table of kids from Boston who love Boston. A large group of really loud girls who are always laughing. The squash players, from around the world, always sit at the same two tables together. There's usually a football table, where most of the food the dining hall makes can be found. There's usually a table of African-American's and then the rest of the tables are mixed groups of friends and the few who dare to sit alone. Guys more so than girls often discuss finance and "what's going on in the market" I feel like the majority of them will end up on Wall Street. The girls are competitive with eachother and while many of them are driven, the majority of them will probably end up being hot soccer mom's who drive suburbans and have rich husbands. I feel that everyone out of Trinity will end up with a successful job in either New York or Boston. I do not feel like students are very politcally active or aware.

There is actually a pretty good mix of people at Trinity, at least in my opinion, but sometimes you have to put in a lot of effort to find a group of people that you can fit in with. As soon as the first few weeks of freshman year are over, groups begin to be set, and it takes a strong person to break out of their mold and create and maintain relationships with people outside of their social circle. Some people aren't interested in stretching themselves, but others are. As for groups of people, there is a strong liberal group, and a strong conservative group. There are plenty of kids who come from a wealthy or extremely wealthy background, but there is also a notable group of students who are on scholarship or who hold jobs on campus. Most students are from the Northeast, the East coast, and there are many from California. Groups interact to an extent. Sometimes I feel that at Trinity, you need to make it very obvious what you stand for, why people should pay attention to you, and what you have to offer in general. It's tough to be a shy person here, because although people are kind when you get to know them, very people would go out on a limb to include someone who is having trouble socially. You need to be aggressive and find an area, activity or group that you can thrive in and branch out from.

Dress code: Lilly, polo, vinyards vines, brooks brothers, those are mostly the wardrobe. Burberry or Barbur jackets. North face or patagonia fleeces. Some times nice (usually Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren) wool/cashmere jackets. Or course juicy, vince, paper, citizens, and others make their appearances, jeans, anything deigner goes. Shoes are Jack rogers, raindows, tods and guggi loafers, the usual brands make their rounds for formal events, girls in their choos, manolos, and louboutin, tory burch, not to say these shoes don't make appearances for more casual effents. Long champ and Herves and the book bags, Vera duffles are a common sight. ---- most students come from money Most are open to LGBT, but that doesn't mean they want to see that sort of behavior. Students are politically aware and I would day that there are more registered members of the GOP at Trin than at other schools, but I wont say its the majority, just more than the norm. Students spend a decent amount of time talking about what they'll earn one day, and how they'll earn it.