Hartford, CT

Trinity College

« See more reviews of Trinity College

I think Trinity has received a bad reputation over the years for lacking diversity, but this is just not the case. We have a number of multicultural houses on campus and Pride Leaders who ensure that everyone feels comfortable and accepted into the social and academic realm. Aside from cultural diversity, we also have a wide diversity in interests on campus, with extracurricular groups ranging from the Chemistry Society to a Knitting Club. The great thing about having such a small student body and campus is that none of these groups can be exclusive; rather, people from each group interact on a daily basis, both in and out of the classroom. I think what we can improve is the image that Trinity has received. We can do this by continuing to accept a diverse incoming class and as an SAA, we can communicate with prospective students and let them understand the diversity that does exist at Trinity.

Most students are Trinity are from New England, however even though I am from California, I had no problem fitting in with the preppy East Coasters. As I mentioned earlier, most students are Caucasian and wealthy, and this is evident in the clothes they wear and cars they drive. People care a lot about their appearance here. The students at Trinity really enjoy going out Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, and the upperclassmen tend to go out during the week as well. I would say individuals that do not enjoy drinking or drug use would feel uncomfortable here because that is what a majority of the students do on the weekends. Although there are many social options provided for weekend fun, the majority of it is based upon going to the three popular frats. What surprised me about Trinity's campus was how conservative the students were. However, I've found most people to be pretty open-minded.

Everyone here is white, the diversity is terrible. a good amount of people here are roman catholic (i am jewish-and not a fan of religion) but they dont act it. there is about 5 gay people here. everyone here is rich and shows/tells it. a black/ latino/ gay person would feel out of place. trinity is a very unaccepting place. most students at other colleges wear pjs or sweats to class but here everyone wears collered shirts and nice pants. who are you trying to impress?differnt types of students to not interact. trinity is very clicky. there are four tables in the dining hall--i do not eat in the dining hall. the food is inedible, not to mention filled with laxatives. most triinity students are from ct, ma, and ny. everyone here is rich. some students are politically aware but not enough. yes, people talk about how much they will earn one day.

The student body is pretty segregated. Students involved in Greek life tend to stick together, as do athletes, multicultural groups, and then smaller social groups. The divides within the student body are a main complaint of the Trinity social environment, and much of the blame is put on the presence of fraternities and sororities on campus (although I do not believe this is the only factor, it does play a role because I know of many students who feel uncomfortable approaching fraternity houses on a weekend night). In general, most students are wealthy, which is not surprising given Trinity's tuitition, and lots of students seem to have a goal of having personal wealth after their college years. Thus, students work hard and many have internships or campus jobs that will help them reach this goal.

The group of friends that I have, as well as the dorm that I live in, is very mixed in all aspects of race, religion, LGBTQ, and socio-ecomic groups and I have had no problem with 'mixing'. However, generally at Trinity, a non-white, non-straight, non-highclass student would feel extremely out of place. There are huge problems with racism and homophobia on campus and the generally high finacial standings of most students leave those who are not well off feeling very out of place. There is huge grouping between student groups, and the dining hall is usually partitioned according to sports teams or race. Most trinity students are from new england or california, with very well off financial backgrounds. Students are generally apathetic, though mostly liberal.

There is a good deal of diversity on campus and there are various and numerous cultural houses and organizations to represent all types of people on campus. On a typical day, most students can be seen wearing jeans and a sweatshirt or sweater, with a fleece and casual shoes. The "dress code" isn't exactly formal, but most students don't tend to wear sweatpants to class. Political activity seems to have grown on campus in recent years but remains a quiet presence, and there are clubs that actively represent both campus Democrats and Republicans. For a Northeastern college, there is a pretty large percentage of politically conservative students, who would most likely identify themselves as Republicans.

Just about everyone can find their niche at Trinity. A lot of students dress up to class, but some do not. Different types of students don't interact on a regular basis, but if you seek out people that aren't like you, you can certainly find them. There are many different groups and organizations at Trinity and just about every student is involved in something. A lot of students are very wealthy and about half of the students came from private schools. Politically, the campus is split right down the middle. People go to Trinity for an excellent education and so people do tend to focus on making sure their education will get them good jobs in the future or enrolled in a good graduate program.

There is definitely a large majority of white students on campus, but I don't think that students are racists and if they are it is a small minority. Students that don't enjoy going out at night might find the social life a little boring. The students in the dining hall are pretty mixed, some people sit based on sports team, or group of friends, and some sit with other groups within the school, but they are mostly mixed in terms of race. It seem that the stereotype is that most people are rich but I think that it may only be a minority of people. I think people take into consideration how much they are going to make but I don't think people really talk about it a lot.

One of the things I love most about Trinity is the fact that everyone makes an effort to put themselves together everyday and make the effort to look nice. That may be a superficial view but it's true. Most of the time, people here get somewhat dressed up to go out at night which I believe is a true characteristic of the student body. There is a wide range of people to be found here and one can meet all different kinds of people. Another characteristic of Trinity is that you can often tell which students play sports and which don't. A lot of the time, athletes can be found spending time with each other and really forming a tight knit group of people.

a lot of trinity students come from affluent families, but there is a pretty diverse mix of people. there is an equal mix of prep school kids and public school kids. religion is not really an issue on campus, though race has been in the past. you can tell which girls are freshman and which are seniors because the freshman get really dressed up for class, while the seniors dont care anymore. students are not very politically active, though they have been more recently with the upcoming election. money is a topic of conversation depending on what groups you run in, but it doesnt have to be.