Hartford, CT

Trinity College

« See more reviews of Trinity College

The thing about trinity that is true for many liberal arts colleges is that you can basically work as much or as little as you want to. Some departments are known for being easy, some even for being a joke (example: public policy and law). If you care about school, you'll find the good professors and departments and have a great experience. If you want to slack off but not fail, you'll accomplish that. Classes are generally small, and there are few truly bad professors. Most encourage class participation, although you usually won't be faulted if you don't. Get to know your professors, it will help out your grades if they see you care. If you don't have a question, come up with one, they will take notice that you took time to delve into material. Because it is a small school, you want your professors to know your name, it will improve your experience. Whether you chose to work a lot or a little, for the most part, Trinity students aren't really the academic type. Most are smart, most are not intellectuals. Economics is one of the largest majors, big surprise at a school full of rich kids who want to be investment bankers. Being smart is recognized, intellectual pursuits and discussion are not for the most part.

I have liked the majority of my professors, but some of them can be really boring or just plain mean. Most of the professors are extremely smart and interesting to listen to, which makes me want to go to class. Really early classes are pretty hard to wake up for, but it's nice to get class out of the way and have the afternoon to do work and relax! I think most students at Trinity are pretty competitive because it is pretty hard school. I see most of my professors outside of class during office hours or meetings. They are very easy to get in touch with and are very supportive of you. The Trinity academic requirements are easy to fulfill and most people want to take classes in the areas you need to take classes in. I am a Psychology and Public Policy & Law double major and I have found some really interesting classes. Some classes that are required for my majors are really hard, but once you get the requirements over with, the electives are much more fun! Most people are able to line up a job before they leave Trinity College, which is awesome! I honestly cannot think of one senior I know that doesn't already have a job lined up for when they graduate.

Academics are challenging, especially high expectations of writing. Even if its a theatre or calculus course, there will always be a major writing component. While abroad in Paris, which features visiting Trinity professors, we would often take classes out at cafés, jardins, or museums. In my french literature course we had only two students--including myself--which allowed for some exceptional opportunities. For our Diderot lecture, the three of us visited the location where he penned Rameau's Nephew (our assignment for the week). This coming year, I will be writing two thesis for my double-major Theatre & Dance and Film Studies. The former will be concerning the theatrical works of Albert Camus and the latter will be a short film. Needless to say, my year will have plenty of work in store, yet I am well prepared and honestly quite excited to get started.

The professors are awesome and almost always know their students by name. Students study quite a bit and have the perfect work hard play hard balance. At exam and midterm time, the library is filled with students but most of these students will socialize and hang out with their friends to relax and have fun after their work is over. As an econ major, I have had numerous wonderful professors who sincerely care that their students do well and learn a lot. Professors are required to hold office hours during the week so that their students can receive extra help if need be. This creates a very friendly environment with professors. In addition, professors often take their students out for dinner or have them over to their house for tea etc.

Because the school is small, and classes run about 20 -25 people, it is very easy to get to know Professors well, and for them to get to know you. My favorite class at Trinity is Psychotherapy. I am a psychology major and this class, taught by a professor who works full time at the counseling center on campus, is one of the most interesting classes I have taken. There are always intellectual conversations to be heard in the library and in the various coffee shops around campus. The education at Trinity is really what you make of it. If your primary goal is to get a particular job, you will be well prepared. Because of the small required core curriculum, it is easy to design your education around what interests and suits you best.

i think sometimes the school feels a little too small but it is what you make of it. i love the small class sizes and the fact that i can know my professor and he/she knows me. i feel comfortable speaking in class and i love the individual attention all students receive. I feel as though trinity is a college where the students work really hard-i know that i am always in the library and my friends are always right there alongside me. in addition to this, i feel as though the students are very competitve in terms of classes and grades. i LOVE the religion department; the professors are all great, the classes are great-the professors are always available for you outside of class as well and really care about you learning.

Most professors know my name and I take all of my classes in the WMGS and Philosophy departments. All of these classes are intriguing and controversial. I think that students do a lot of studying here but not in a competitive cut-throat way. a couple of really interesting classes i have taken are: Sexual Labors in the US, Beatles and the Sixties, American popular music, existentialism, african american feminism, freud, marx, etc. My education at trinity is geared towards knowledge for its own sake, but most of the services at trinity aim at getting students investment banker jobs...with the exception of the faculty. i attribute this to trinity bureaucracy not the actually teachers.

One of the greatest things about Trinity is that Professors know who you are. I have had some of the greatest experiences here. Class participation is a must in many of the courses but this is also dependent on the department. Many of the departments are great, but there are a few that are not as hot. The Public Policy and Law department has some of the most interesting classes as well as some of the best professors. I think the current graduation requirements at Trinity are great because the student has a lot of flexibility even as a freshmen. However, I think many of the new requirements are going to greatly limit that flexibility and students should be aware of that.

Trinity is a wonderful school in terms of their academics. The professors are all wonderful and they really care about their students. Almost all of my professors know my name and have gotten to know me out side of the classroom. Trinity is a very competitive school, since all of the students are very intellectual and like to do their best. I am an art history major, and the department is wonderful. All of the teachers are great professors but also really smart, funny, and great people.

Mr professors for the most party have been great. I feel like many of them really try to get to know the students on a more personal level. Classes are engaging and the professors seem to really care about and love the subjects they are teaching. The most unique class I've taken was "Springsteen, Dylan, Presley" it was an American studies course that analyzed how these three musicians influenced America. It was really interested and was taught by my favorite professor.