Hartford, CT

Trinity College

« See more reviews of Trinity College

i think there is a great deal of school pride-i spend a majority of time involved with my accapello group, the trinitones, and i love it. i think sometimes the school feels a little too small but it is what you make of it.

The best part about Trinity is it's size and location. Hartford isn't the best city to live it, but it's right in the middle of New York and Boston, and a short flight from Philadelphia. It's nice to not be so far away.

I don't like having such a great school in such a terrible neighborhood. It definately takes away from my experience here. It's unsafe and I feel like the campus is not equiped to handle this.

I like that its a smaller school in a urban setting but has a campus. The downside is that the urban setting is Hartford, although it does provide for a good learning experience.

I love the size of Trinity, the small student popular

Trinity is located in a capital city, yet the campus has a rural feel. It is so unique in that you have an absolutely beautiful enclosed campus as well as access to a wealth of different internship, cultural, and community service opportunities right beyond the campus borders. There are incredible relationships between faculty and students, a great amount of say that students are given in the administrative aspects of the college, and a strong sense of community and involvement on campus. The small size of the school enhances the academic experience as well as the strong social connections. Trinity students have great quality of life. Students typically love the school because of the great sense of community cultivated on campus. Most students live on campus or in very close proximity to the campus, which enhances that community-feel. The on-campus housing is excellent and continues to improve. Summer 2008 renovations on the largest, oldest residence hall have been completed, providing 6-to-9-person suite housing options. First year housing is based on the first year seminar, but after that, housing is based on a lottery system. So if, for instance, one year a student’s dorm is not centrally located, the following year he or she will have a lower lottery number when choosing housing. The administration at Trinity makes it a point to listen to students’ views. Often students are members of boards that make major decisions about the college. Our campus movie theater and many of the student houses and spaces on campus are all students-run. As far as the facilities, the library underwent a 35-million dollar renovation in the past five years. There are committees of faculty and students continually assessing the maintenance of classroom and lab spaces. The main buffet-style dining hall, Mather, was refurbished this year and is now top-of-the-line. There are also two other dining options on campus: the Cave, which offers sandwiches, pizza, and food on the go, and the Bistro, which has a grill, sandwiches, smoothies/ shakes, salad bar, sushi twice a week, and culinary nights. Compared to most cities, Hartford does not have a very high cost of living. Trinity is located in a low-income area within Hartford. A lot of community service efforts are made right in the outskirts of the campus, which has resulted in a great deal of positive change in the surrounding area. Community service is a huge commitment of Trinity students, making it the largest student organization on campus. There is a strong relationship between Trinity students and the Hartford youth. Trinity students tutor or mentor Hartford students at the local Learning Corridor and Boys and Girls club right on the campus edge. The Trinity Campus Safety do their best to be proactive about crime. They have a strong presence on campus- always on the main walkways after dusk with lights flashing. Trinity is also on the Blue Light system. As on any college campus, students are urged to use their common sense when walking around after dark. There are campus shuttles circling the campus after dusk and Campus Safety offers escorts to take students anywhere on campus if they ever feel unsafe. Trinity alumni are very talented and successful. In addition, they are usually happy to help other students find careers and become successful themselves. Trinity’s Career Services is very active in organizing alumni and student gatherings as well as forming websites that connect students to alumni in their field. In addition, Career Services often holds recruiting events, mock interviews, workshops, and career seminars. Many seniors are working with Peace Corps or Teach for America. Others go straight into graduate school, particularly in the sciences. Others still find careers in finance, marketing, arts, etc. Most importantly, the preparation that any Trinity student receives throughout the four years makes that student a competitive candidate for any position. They are typically confident interviewees, strong analytical thinkers, and diligent workers.

The best thing about Trinity is the size. You get to know people really well over the time here and form a bond because of it. However, the size also backfires when you don't like people and you're forced to deal with them so often. The one thing I would change is to get rid of the frat system on campus. For the most part it can be a lot of fun and I know a lot of great guys in the system. However, it promotes a culture of privileged kids that use there "power" to exclude many. It is also a symbol for a divide on campus as many kids don't go to the frats because they don't want to deal with the hassle of getting in and the feeling of being on the outside. People always react well when I say I go to Trinity. I always get that's a great school, or something like that. The worst part about Hartford is our location in the city. It is less than ideal, though I've never felt unsafe. There are incidents but if you stay smart like any city you'll be fine. What makes it tough is that going off campus is very difficult because you tend to need a car. However, once off campus there is a ton of good bars, and restaurants in the area. School spirit was almost non-existent when I got here but this year it has been through the roof. Kids now go to most sporting events and get really into it. The school has tons of great athletic teams so there is a lot to be excited about. One of the thing's I'll remember the most about Trinity are the problems with race. One year we had several incidents and it made me embarassed to say I go here. These events sparked off a fight between those in frats and those on the outside. It also created serious racial tension on campus, only fueled by the fact that there was poor racial mixing already. However, the school was quick to address these problems, holding a meeting that drew nearly the entire school's population. Since then I truly feel that things have changed on campus in terms of race relations. The culture that existed that allowed those events to occur has been eroded and will eventually disappear.

The best thing about Trinity are by far the classes. The thing I would like to change the most is the apathetic nature of the students. Most students do not seem to care about issues unless they involve the greek organizations or cable TV. I work in the community service office, and while Trintiy does do a great deal of community service, the programs are given very little attention by the administration and the groups are made up of a core of the same hundred students. Size wise, Trinity is just right. Most people I talk to have never heard of Trinity. I spend most of my time on campus at the library or at the Fred. Trinity is known for having very poor college/city relations, however if one can manage to pull themselves out of the Trinity bubble, Harford has a lot of really neat things to experience. Trinity is located in a very ethinic part of the city and the restuarants are great; the parks are beautiful; and the downtown area does have a lot to offer. I find that the adminsitration really seems to be somewhat financially focused. The biggest thing that has happened while I have been at Trinity was during my first semester Freshman year, when a student wrote 'nigger' on a fellow students door. This prompted a huge forum and many discussions on the huge problems of racism at Trinity as well as problems with homophobia, chauvenism, and the general exclusivity of fraternities on campus. Generally, most students ahve a lot of school pride. One experience I'll always remember is pitching a tent on the quad outside of the science building with my friends in the middle of the night. Most frequent studnet complaints are that the food is bad and that there are very few social options outside of the fraternities.

I love Trinity! One of Trinity's many appeals is its small size- only about 2,200 total undergraduate students. It provides for a close-knit and personable community that all sorts of individuals can excel in and enjoy. Most people positively respond when I tell them I go to Trinity; however since I am from California, many people on the West Coast have not heard of small, private liberal arts colleges in New England. Those from the East Coast, especially the New England area, respect Trinity students and the schools academic reputation. The most common response you would receive to the question of "what would you change about the school?" would be the location, which is Hartford, Connecticut. Most people would describe the surrounding area of Trinity's campus as a "ghetto," and to be perfectly honest that is fairly accurate. The biggest controversy at Trinity would be related to the surrounding city and its role of safety on the campus itself. Although Hartford may not be your typical college town, in its defense it has a lot of really good restaurants that the students frequent. During the week I spend time studying in the library- which is beautiful- or hanging out in Peter B's, the coffee shop. On the weekends my time, along with the majority of the very social campus, is spent in the fraternities. A lot of students play sports here, and are proud of our unique and quirky mascot- the Bantam- but there isn't an overwhelming sense of school spirit. In the beginning of the year there is quite a show at the football games and the same in the spring with baseball, because both of the teams are good and the students will usually take advantage of the good weather and drink with their friends.

The disappointing part about Trinity is that lack of a surrounding college town. If you want to get off campus, walking is not the best idea and it is best to have a car or a friend with a car. There are about two things that are in walking distance from campus which, unfortunately, can be quite the turn off. On the other hand, if you do have a means of transportation, there are some great things to see and some amazing restaurants to be found in Hartford and the surrounding areas. Coming from Los Angeles, I'm accustomed to delicious, cool restaurants and when I visited Trinity for the first time, I was quite skeptical of finding anything decent to eat. However, with a little exploring, one can discover the gems of Hartford's less than great areas. You can find almost any cuisine whether it be expensive or not. Such restaurants are also a great way to get off campus when you feel like you need some air or to escape from the so called "Trinity bubble". It is almost a breath of fresh air when you leave campus every once in a while. Most of the time, however, Trinity consumes you and leaving campus can be dissatisfying because one undoubtedly has a great experience and Trinity. Such a great experience is easy to come by mostly because of the people here. When I think about the students at Trinity I realize that everyone works just as hard as they play. This is especially true when the weather permits and students can be found outside playing or watching a sports game or even lounging on a towel on the quad. The students at Trinity are overall a group of people who loves to have fun and include everyone.