Hartford, CT

Trinity College

« See more reviews of Trinity College

The best thing about Trinity is its size because this feature permeates every facet of the Trinity education by endowing students with small class sizes, professor accessibility, an intimate social environment, a beautiful and manageable campus and easy access to countless extracurricular and academic opportunities. One thing that I'd change about Trinity is that I think it would benefit from having one common place where students can hang out and advertise campus events and organizations and promote causes, etc. At the present time, Mather Hall is as communal a space as there, and consequently, I think the campus events that do exist suffer a bit from this lack of publicity. One of the best things about Trinity is the reaction that the school's very mention garners in others. I have found that the school has a very strong identity and a remarkable reputation for turning out successful alumni with a particular knack for the business, financial and commercial industries, however, alumni also hold prominent positions in politics and government, entertainment, medicine, among countless other professions. There certainly is a great deal of school pride at Trinity, and individuals carry that pride with them years after they take their last walk down the beautiful long walk or spend a final afternoon on the expansive main quad, so alumni often seek to hire fellow Trinity grads and most students can at least attest to the fantastic networking opportunities available through Trinity connections.

Trinity is a small school, which means small classes. Students and professors know each other and you begin to build relationships with your professors from the first day of class. I've never taken a class that had more than 40 people in it and that was an intro. class. Trinity is a party school, but students take their work very seriously as well. Trinity is in a city and is located in a very poor neighborhood. Hartford as a lot to offer and there's access to public transportation in and out of the city. People don't go downtown as often as one would think. However, if you want to the option is always there. Trinity students prefer to stay inside the Trinity bubble than travel outside of it. Trinity has had some problems with campus safety and racism. As a minority student, I've always felt completely comfortable at Trinity and never have had to deal with any racism. Other minority students tend to segragate themselves and, in my opinion, that plays a major role in the campus climate in terms of racism. Trinity administration isn't always as concerned about the student body as one would think it should be at such a small school. For example, they guaranteed housing for four years, but my junior year there was a housing shortage and half of the junior class had to move off-campus. Another example is their planning of Spring Weekend during the first days of Passover.

The best thing about Trinity is the small size and personal attention that you get from fellow students and professors. It is a very tight-knit community where people really get to know one another. I would like to eliminate the amount of bureaucracy that is in place. Often times there is too much red tape and channels that need to be traveled in order to get something new and different done. I spend most of my time on campus either in the library or socializing at meals, fraternities, bars or other student's rooms. The most recent controversy was over the decision to pay for cable in dorm rooms from a Student Activities Fund. The students expressed the opinion that money in such a fund could be spent more substantively to improve the campus climate. The Student Government Association responded by voting down the proposed renewal of the cable contract. The school really does listen to student concerns when they are widely made. The most frequent student complaints have to do with the location of Trinity. Being in Hartford is a great benefit in terms of internship opportunities, social life and proximity to other big cities. However, the exact neighborhood surrounding Trinity isn't one of the nicest. The school is fairly proactive when it comes to campus safety, but incidents do occur and students are frequently concerned for their safety.

Trinity’s location and relationship with the Hartford community is one of the great advantages of our college. As a student body, we are very socially responsible, and for this reason we give back to the Hartford community whenever possible. There are numerous community service groups on campus who are dedicated year round to supporting our surrounding neighborhood with fundraisers and services. The location of the Learning Corridor makes it easy for students to interact with Hartford children without needing to leave the campus. There is also emphasis of community involvement in the classroom, with many courses incorporating a community learning aspect into their curriculum. Since we are located in the heart of a major metropolis, many students have easy access to internships with numerous organizations and businesses surrounding the campus, and the convenience of having the Internship Office available makes it easy for students to apply. Hartford is also a great college city for Trinity students. Being conveniently located between New York City and Boston, a number of the cultural influences from either city have made their way to Hartford. There are numerous theatres and museums, as well as parks, restaurants, and shopping centers. Hartford is both an advantage academically and socially!

Academically Trinity is a spectacular school. I cannot say enough about how supportive and knowledgable my professors are or how stimulating my classes are. There are ample opportunities to enrich your knowledge outside of the classroom and wonderful events that are held on campus. Unfortunately, I wish more students took advantage of the wonderful things Trinity has to offer. Many events are sparsely attended. Socially, Trinity is an active and fun environment, however, given its size it can feel a little small by senior year. Greek life plays an active role in the social scene at Trinity, which is an excellent outlet for those involved. However, can be difficult for those outside of it. The resources of Trinity's Greek community i.e. the number of frats and sororities and the number of events they hold or people they accept does not match the demand. Students are thus sometimes left out in the cold. The downtown scene in Hartford and Trinity's college bar, The Tap helps to alleviate this problem for many seniors. Dtudents from all different social circles go to bars downtown and The Tap, thus they become excellent places for running into friends.

The best thing about Trinity is definitely the Spring. On a nice day, everyone is outside grilling, playing sports and hanging out in the quad. If I could change anything about Trinity it would be the food and the parking situation. I also think that Trinity should really consider gating Campus. They have done a lot to protect the students, but it seems that people from outside of Trinity can easily walk on Campus and I do not feel safe at night. I think the size is just right, I like recognizing people everywhere I go, but I still feel like I am constantly meeting new people. I think I would feel lost in a big school. I spend most of my time in the Library, gym and my dorm. On nice days, most of my time is spent outsidedoing my work or hanging out. West Hartford has a lot of options, but its 10 min away by car. Therefore, I dont ever leave campus unless I drive somewhere. The surrounding city is not the greatest area. The last biggest controversy was a sexual assault on campus. For a D3 school, Trinity's students have a lot of school pride. On home game days, especially on a nice day, everyone is outside supporting and socializing.

The bottom line about trinity is that we work as hard as we play. I've spent an equal amount of nights spent at my desk without sleep from 8pm to 9am as I have partying until 4am on saturday. The one thing that deters people about Trinity is that it is in the middle of a very rough area of Hartford. I'm not going to lie, November was a scary month (gang intitiation month; teen gang initiates must beat up a Trinity student to be accepted), but I have found the campus to be very safe otherwise. Just use common sense: walking alone across dark areas of campus at 3am may not be the best idea. But other than that Trinity is a solid school that provides a great education (and more than enough work) along with an unforgettable college experience. Freshman year felt like highschool on steroids--it feels like you are still high school seniors, but there are no parents around and beer is much easier to get. We fulfill many stereotypes of college--you'll find kids wearing polos and madras shorts and students tossing frisbees on the quad, along with the occasional argument over who's better at beiruit or flip cup. Overall it is a great school.

I love that are student population is smaller, and thus you really get a feel of a close-knit community. In addition, I have relationships with Professors and feel that I get a lot more out of the smaller classes that are available at Trinity. I also like the social environment such as, sports games, greek life, and community service programs available to help out the rest of the Hartford community. However, I would, without a doubt, change the open campus policy and hope that there will be better means of security and safety precautions on campus. While I am aware of the dangers of living in any City, Hartford has proven to be especially problematic as a result of nearby gangs and their lack of respect for the Trinity community. As a female student, who was also driven off campus during my sophomore year for lack of housing, I find that streets such as Allen place and Crescent need far better surveilance. In addition, the rest of the campus should be closed because there are far too many instances of Trinity students, women and men alike, being assaulted or harassed.

I'm transfering so i do not think that there is a best thing about Trinity. I would change the location and the nightlife here. this schools campus is WAY too small and the student body is too small too. when i tell people that i go to trinity they say that it is a great school and ask if i love it, to which i respond no. i spend most of my time on campus in my dorm and room. this is the absolute worst college town. there is nothing to do on campus and you cannot walk off campus. you cant even walk on campus at night feeling completelly safe. you are not guarenteed a car until your junior year and there is not enough parking anyway. i have seen many cars get hit by paralel parkers. the only thing to do is go to the mall....which you can only get to by car. i dont know annything about trinity's admininstration but i liked when they opened up more classes. there is zero school pride. i would not be surprised if i completely forget about my trinity experience. the most frequent complaints are that the night life sucks.

i love the size of trinity. i love the people at trinity. i love how you can always see people around that you know. it makes you feel never lonely because someone is always there, or someone is always smiling and saying hi to you, which always makes your day better. the sports are fun because nescac is competitive within itself so it's a fun league to be in. on saturdays, and some sundays, everyone is around the fields watching all the sports games because all the fields are so close on campus and you can just go from one field to the other, or even see more than 1 game at 1 time. there is a ton of school pride and everyone loves being at trinity. no one wants to go home for the summer, because we all wish the school year could just continue on. doing work isn't even a big deal, or a big hassle, because there's fun to do that balances it out, and when you do work, you have so much fun to look forward to.