Trinity University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Trinity University

Jake

Thorough review of current student here- terrible time. So many of my friends transferred. Here's why: small school that feels suffocating over 4 years. Grading is extremely deflated, especially in sciences. Expect a B to C average in all classes. In sciences, they weed you out to maintain prestige to graduate schools. Trust me, I had a 34 ACT and top 1% in HS. If you care about grades, go to a larger school. If going to work force after college, recruiting is terrible here bc of small size. No school spirit. The small classes aren't that helpful bc its hard to get in them. Think about it: registration is a shit show bc they cap classes early to keep them small. This can force you to delay graduation. Personally, small classes also didn't help my learning much bc whether a teacher is lecturing to 4 or 400 people, it still doesn't really matter. Trinity professors expect you to learn mostly outside of class. Office hours are requires at all schools-big or small. Tiny campus means you know everyone which can feel like you're trapped in jail. Do not come here if you want a typical college experience. People who come here have their reasons to not going to the large state schools: either their quirky (and a bit weird) or came here for academic purposes. The latter is a rude awakening bc of how deflated the grades are here. The former means the social scene is pretty awkward and won't benefit you later in life. If you are cool, the party scene here sucks unless you're in greek life or athletics (which I am in). Even then, understand that you will be partying with the same people all 4 years of your undergrad. That means make your decisions wisely bc word spreads. In all, there's a reason why so many people transfer out of this prison. If you want good grades, don't come here. If you want a good social life, don't come here. This was the worst decision I've ever made and now I can't get out bc I won't be able to get a junior year internship if I transfer (since gpa resets to 0.00 when you transfer). Point is: from the perspective of a social, high-achieving , pre-med student who has now been forced into business, don't come here--both because of grades and social life.

Noa

Trinity University prepares students for jobs after graduation. The professors are dedicated and take the time during office hours to help students when they need additional help. I wish it was more financially accessible but there are on campus jobs that can help if positions are available.

Abigail

I have definitely found my perfect home. Trinity is the perfect balance of a small community in a big city. There is always something to do on campus and plenty to do off campus too. Trinity's staff is like none other in that they really are always there for you. Everything Trinity says is true and they uphold all their ideals every single day. Trinity is a great community to grow as an individual and find a great group of people to have for the rest of your life.

Lindsey

Trinity is an excellent school that prioritizes academic achievement while fostering growth mindsets and encouraging students to become well-rounded learners. As a small, private university, one of Trinity's best qualities is that we all are able to celebrate the success of our peers and professors across disciplines. The small class size allows students the chance to get to know their professors, who are usually easily accessible and eager to see their students learn. There are a lot of opportunities for campus involvement: sports, music, greek life, clubs, public lectures and forums, and many more. Located in San Antonio, Trinity is not the most accessible to students who don't have cars, but there are a few food and entertainment options within walking distance of campus. The culture of San Antonio is rich and diverse, and it bleeds into Trinity as students participate in annual city-wide events like Fiesta and the MLK march. Trinity also provides opportunities to for summer internships, undergraduate research, and study abroad, and the administration works to make these options accessible to all students through scholarships and grants. If you're looking for an academically rigorous school with the resources to help students achieve their goals, a small professor to student ratio and average class size, and strong sense of community, Trinity might be the school for you.

Sara

Trinity is an excellent school. It is very small, but this works to the students' benefits. The class sizes are small and you really get to know your peers and professors. The work is challenging, but the professors are the best around (and the vast majority are PHD). I highly recommend this school (but of course, I am biased!).

Joshua

While the dorm life isn't the best and there always seems to be something broken on campus, I would say that Trinity is a great school. There are countless study abroad opportunities and the professors are the nicest people you will ever meet. They are incredibly helpful and genuinely care not only about you as a person but also about what you're taking away from their classes.

Aja

Trinity is an academically rigorous school with a heavy workload, but a lot of perks. As a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major, I don't have much experience outside of STEM, but the science facilities are great and teachers are always readily available, even outside of office hours. To find stuff to do, you'll really have to seek out the right people or clubs that fit your interest. If your looking for a party school, Trinity is not the place for you. While there are parties and Greek life, it is a very small part of the school. Trinity isn't perfect, but it is still a great school. If you like small communities, great city life, and academically challenging environments, Trinity is the place for you.

Siera

I love attending trinity. The close knit relationship to the professors is by far the best part. If i ever have a question my professor is almost if not always in his or her office. The classes are also small so if you have a question the professor doesnt mind stopping and answering.

Jane

This is going to be a long review. If you do not want to read all of the stuff below let me tell you to not go to Trinity if you are going into the Biology, Biochem and Molec Bio, and Biochem Majors. See below to understand why. Initially, Freshman year was okay I arrived at the school, was welcomed by the community, but everything went downhill from there. I didn't know it at the time but the school generally suggests that students shouldn't take three science classes at the same time. First semester of Freshman year I took general chemistry and integrative biology I and not general physics I. I wish I had not listened to the school, my advisor, anyone who told me not to take 3 science classes and took the class. The reason why this is important is because this school is small. Trinity doesn't have a large faculty for the academic departments and that hurts students because they can only offer classes certain semesters not every semester. So as a student if you think you easily get off track due to illness or maybe your high school didn't give you a solid background. Do not go to a small school or you will fall behind easily and either have to drop out or take a year off or take an extra year or two to finish your degree. These are of course extremely bad situations to fall into but a larger school will have more classes each semester and will be extremely flexible for your schedule and your needs. Trinity simply doesn't have that because of how small it is. The exchange is small class sizes, I have had a class with just 5 people in it for a math class and that was nice, but honestly although I chose this school because of its small class size I didn't really see an impact in my learning being in small or big classes. I also have anxiety so going to office hours wasn't a regular routine for me. Overall, I felt like it was a mistake to not take the three science classes my Freshman year the result was Junior year I ended up taking three upper class science classes at the same time, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and genetics. You tell me which is worse, three lower level science classes as a Freshman first semester in college or as a Junior three upper level classes all high difficulty? Anyways, that was that year. Fall of Sophomore year after having taken organic chemistry I, I went on to take organic chemistry II and after the first class had cyclic vomiting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. You wanna guess which class I also had on those days? Yep, Organic Chemistry II. My anxiety and brain and body were all telling me don't take that class again. And I think this was because the teacher in the class before was mean and rude. I think he was mean and rude because he has his own problems and he brings those into the classroom with him. But anyways he messed me up psychologically and every morning I woke up, then threw up, then forced my self to class, because I don't yield to anything afflicting me. I always go to class whether sick or not. This cyclic vomiting went on for about two months until I met my boyfriend. And he was able to remove the anxiety enough to stop me from throwing up. It sucks when your stomach is trying to throw up basically nothing just because your brain knows it organic chemistry II day. Did I talk to anyone about this explain it to people? No, people get breaks for having their anxiety acknowledged by faculty and their grades go up. One I don't believe in admitting defeat like that and two I didn't like anyone in the Chemistry department. I still don't really. There wasn't really anyone to talk to about it with in the academia part of the school. They have counseling services, but like I said its like admitting defeat to go there. Anyways, no we are at Junior year. I just had a hard time juggling three upper level science classes and that was that. Finally, I am Senior right now about to graduate and absolutely can't wait to leave. I pretty much have hated this school since I got here. Plus, it messed up my mind. Right now I am in Molecular Biology and I do not see any point in the class, because the professor doesn't know how to teach. He also taught Microbiology and I love that subject, he was able to make me hate it because I felt like I was unable to learn the material which was his fault. He basically, makes all the classes memorization and doesn't know what organization is. I know more about him and his family than I did Microbiology. Note people will make you memorize material for class. I believe that memorizing material for a test is not learning and thus, did not learn anything from Microbiology and will not learn anything from Molecular Biology. There is a running joke between the Biochem and Molec Bio Majors that we want our Biochemistry professor to teach that class (she used to teach it at another school), or to sit in on the class and see how bad it is or to take the test with us and see how bad that is too. Also, I know more about him than any thing in Molecular Biology, just as it was in Micro. And almost all of his labs in Molec Bio have failed. And I honestly believe he is using the students to mine code for R (a programming language for science). All in all, I paid this school to teach me nothing except Genetics and Biochemistry which was pretty awesome and give me anxiety.

Jocelyn

I love Trinity! It was the only school I visited that I could actually see myself at. The small class sizes really encourage students to get to know their peers and professors and make strong relationships. It's also a really tight-knit community, and I love being able to walk to class and see so many friendly places! The programs are great, the area is amazing, and I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything.

Elise

Trinity is an overall great school to attend. With small class sizes, it is easy for students to meet with and get help from professors. While Trinity's administration itself is often unhelpful, the experience of the school and people at the school make up for it.

Monica

I really enjoy being a student at Trinity. Not only are there a lot of opportunities, everyone is really friendly. The food sometimes is a hit or miss but overall it is satisfying enough. Sometimes I feel as if the classes have a lot of rigor to them but it just serves as more motivation.

Fernando

I think Trinity University is excellent in class size, faculty support and the creation of community feel. The diversity office could be expanded to help Trinity flourish with more students of different identities. Food options should be expanded. I also think there should be more majors to have on campus to attract more students with different interests.