Troy, AL
Troy University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Troy University

Shirletha

I would tell myself to predetermine the outcome and aspire to succeed. Motivate yourself to be exceptional beyond measure and to have a catalytical deamenor so that if failure is the aftermath of reaching things seemingly unobtainable, then strive for personal excellence. Along the way mistakes and are going to be made, but never give up. No one can motivate you like you can.

The best thing about Troy University is the diverse and amicable student body. The assortment of different cultures and backgrounds all composited together under the same roof is short of incredible. This aids in making new friends regardless of ethnicity or cultural differences.

The most fustrating thing about Troy University would have to be the limited housing options. In my reseach into rentals in the troy area, most apartments or house were not up to par with my standards. Many were overprices or too distant from school.

Maricruz

The first thing that I would tell my past self is to not stress. There are many opportunities for anyone that aspires to have a scholarly route: community college, state schools, and private colleges. If one does not receive a positive response from their dream school hope is not lost, there are still community colleges that will aid in a transition to a four year university. On the bright side, it's cheaper too! The key is to never give up no matter what the odds are. Another thing that I would consult to my past self would be to consider the importance of study skills. If one is to learn a certain topic (Math, English, History science, etcetera), make sure it's there to stay for keeps. One must not conform themselves to only the bare minimum. Remember, knowlwdge is power, especially now in this technology fast paced world. The future of a country depends on it's offspring, so the responsibility is actually quite high on today's youth. With great study skills, the general education part of college will be immmensely facilitated. It's better to work double now, than triple in the future.

Arthur

My advice to myself would be to take advantage of any scholarships or financial aid I was able to. I received a full ride academic scholarship to several schools as a high school senior, and once I actually got to college I lost focus on school and ended up losing my scholarship. My poor decisions have caused me to take out student loans and put myself into debt at a young age. I am also working about 30 hours a week to help pay for school, and this makes it harder to focus solely on school. I threw away probably $50,000 worth of free money just because I wanted to party and have fun, and I realize now how big of a mistake that was. I am thankful that I learned from my mistakes and have managed to stay in school. I wish that I could give this advice to all high school seniors so that people won't make the same mistakes that I did.

The best thing about my school is that it gives you the feeling of being at a large university but at the same it has a down-home feel to it. I think this is important becuase many new students are scared to move to a new school or new area from being overwhelmed, but Troy is just right.

I think that anyone can find their place at this school. We have a very diverse population on campus and they offer enough different majors and activities to help everyone find where they belong.

Haley

If I could go back in time and talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to get prepared the best that I possibly could and to keep my chin up. Starting at a new school, especially college isn't easy and it is quite the transition. See, when I was a senior I didn't really have anyone there to support me in my decision to go to college. I was scared, nervous, and disappointed, wishing I could have did better than I did. But honestly? I wouldn't change a thing, because I made it. I'm doing my best and making a life for myself. That's all that really matters.

Alex

The teachers really do care about the students and want them to get the most out of the classes.

I would tell my high school senior self to take the ACT as many times as it takes to where I would get a scholarship for full tuition. I would also tell myself to be prepared for life without parents being around and how important it is to not go wild and stay dedicated to going to some kind of church or prayer group.

The parking is awful. You would have to get to your class very early to get a good spot near the buildiing without hiking a mile.

lorena

Troy is very diverse and encourages international connections with thier counterparts. The school offers a friendly place to learn and participate in multiple activities that helps the surrounding area.

The best advice that would have greatly benefited me and provided a possible different outcome in my future, would be that I should have taken advantage of more AP classes. I would tell myself not to be intimidated about these upper level courses, because in the end they would have greatly helped me prepare for college. I would also tell myself to participate in more extracurricular activities as this would look good on my resume for college, but more importantly it would help to build character. Study more, and take your future more seriously because you could have had a different future from what you have now. A very important thing I would also advise would be to save for the future, and put all your hopes of receiving a scholarship. I think my future turned out very well, but there are things that I regret that I overlooked that could have boosted my chances at a higher job position. So I think the most imporant thing that I would like to say to my past self is to not be afraid of the future. Be outgoing and ferocious in your goal to learn everything and anything in this life.

Joanie

The smaller campus in Dothan was diverse and I felt less like a number and more like a person.

Although things right now seem to be all about fun and there will be some fun in your future, do not be so quick to dismiss going to college soon. You will excell in the courses that you take because you are smarter than you believe you are. Your future will be great no matter when you begin attending a university, but you are going to be the sole provider for your child. At this moment in your life, your priorities are not in line. This is alright, because you are young. Your life will be full of wonderful experiences and the greatest love you will ever know on this eaerth, your child. I know that sometimes it seems that your mother and father are bothering you about education, but they are right. They are right about more things than you think, even though you will never admit to it. Also, more than anything, I want you to know that you are an intellegent, kind, beautiful person. This will reflect in your future friendships and these will be more important than anything you are involved in right now.

Troy University was the top University in the area for Education backgrounds.

Breanna

What's unique about this one is the fact that most of the people around here already know each other. The older faculty can become your parents away from home. Even though it is a secular school, there is a strong spiritual influence on campus.

If I could go back and talk to my high school senior self, I'd tell myself to have a plan. When I came to college four years ago, I really did not know what I was getting myself into. From the age 4-17, I attended the same Private Christian school so moving three hours away to attend a Public Secular university would be a culture shock. Had I known then what I know how I would've been active on campus. Of course socializing in a place where I know no one is a challenge. I would have told myself to do more research on my major so that I'd have a life after undergrad plan. After getting a Bachelors, life gets real.

The worst thing about my school would be how hard it is to find a job. I've been trying to get a good on campus job for like the last two years. I just want to know what a salary and a steady pay check feels like.

Kelsey

Troy University is unique in its ties to a large variety countries. Troy holds very close relations with China and has dedicated part of a newly renovated building to its friendship with China. The Confucious Institute in Troy, the facility dedicated to China, offers a museum of history and cultural exhibits and is the location of the Mandarin Chinese courses at Troy. The ratio of international students to non-international students is significantly higher at Troy University as opposed to most other schools, especially in the Southeast. Culturally, this difference is very educational.

Kelsey, I know you are pretty excited about going to college. Here are some things you must do to have an enjoyable college experience and be successful. Study all the time. This sounds like common sense, but grades are top-priority. Keeping up with your assignments is the most important thing you can do. Never wait last minute to cram for a big test; study a little every night. Even more importantly, never skip class. A friend told me it's similar to the Pringles slogan, "once you pop, you can't stop", so don't even start. Get connected, make friends, and be involved. You didn't do a lot of this in high school, so don't miss your chance in college. This is an important time in your life, so make the most of it. Friends, especially in your classes, are great study buddies and are more than willing to help you succeed. You can gain a lot of educational benefit from attending extracurricular seminars and group discussions. Getting connected also means networking. This is very important for most carreer fields. Above all, study hard, have fun, and be successful! You can do it!

Before attending Troy University, I wish I had known about the lack of extensive activities available at the school and the surprising lack of a sense of community. Sure, if you are in a freternity or sorority, there are plenty of things to do. However, if not involved in the Greek system, there are very little extracurricular activities. During the weekends and holidays, the cumpus empties out entirely. Networking and socializing is limited based upon the size of the campus and the surrounding community. I wish I had known how few extracurricular activities were available before choosing to attend.

Troy University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.