Troy University

« See more reviews of Troy University

Cost certainly is at the forefront of every educational plan made by parents and /or students. However, one really must must consider the greater picture. For example, administration, campus security, affiliations, athletics, and a strong focus on the fine and liberal arts should be intertwined. No college is perfect. However, there are many fine institutions out there just waiting for an eager and ambitious young person to shine on its campus. Troy University is an outstanding institution ranked as one of the very best in the Southeast by the Princeton Review. Too, it has campus in three other Alabama cities, several states, and dozens of international campuses. It is fastly approaching the long-desired title "One Great University" (OGU). For those parents and students who are uneasy about choosing a huge, nationally renowned university simply because of tradition or prestige, the answer might be easier than expected. Troy University offers all of the richest academic and real-world experiences on a comfortable, elegant small Southern campus. Though only a Division 1 school, its accredidations, international acclaims, and recent local renovations / constructions are making Troy University a worldwide force that prepares its students for success in the global economy of tomorrow.

Jamelle Brown March 17, 2013 Travel Back I often think of my younger self attending high school, my parents encouraged me to do my best, get good grades, and graduate. However, they never promoted a higher education and always considered it an unnecessary expense which discouraged me from attending college. If I could travel back in time and talk with myself as a senior in high school I would sit myself down and tell myself to focus more on school, take AP courses that could count toward college credits, study and take the ACT exam. Most importantly, I would teach the importance of visiting with my high school counselor to gain the knowledge and understanding of what options are available to high school students. I would also teach my younger self, that contrary to my parent’s belief, there are many opportunities for attending college without attaining tremendous debt. With hundreds of grants and scholarships available, if I apply myself I have the opportunity to attend college without acquiring large amounts of unnecessary debt. I wish I would have given more thought to college while I was younger, but since there is no going back, I can only move forward.

College helped mold me into the person I am today. The college experience is centered around your education and career path, but that's not all its about. You gain valuable social skills while attending college. These skills will benefit you for the rest of your life and make the degree you acheive invaluable. Of course, course work and learning your field are the most important. But you cannot fully gain everything you need from a strictly "online" atmosphere. The college experience is something no one can create or duplicate for you. Each person will expierence something different. I met lifelong friends and mentors. The people I met in college are irreplaceable. And I would not trade my path for anything. I hold dear everything I was taught and learned while in college, whether it was in a classroom or out in the real world. My professors worked hard to make sure I succeeded and I worked hard to better myself. College cannot be replaced by anything. It is one of the most important and cherished times of my life. The skills learned during that time will follow you for your entire life, and will be used every day.

The first thing that I would tell my past self is to not stress. There are many opportunities for anyone that aspires to have a scholarly route: community college, state schools, and private colleges. If one does not receive a positive response from their dream school hope is not lost, there are still community colleges that will aid in a transition to a four year university. On the bright side, it's cheaper too! The key is to never give up no matter what the odds are. Another thing that I would consult to my past self would be to consider the importance of study skills. If one is to learn a certain topic (Math, English, History science, etcetera), make sure it's there to stay for keeps. One must not conform themselves to only the bare minimum. Remember, knowlwdge is power, especially now in this technology fast paced world. The future of a country depends on it's offspring, so the responsibility is actually quite high on today's youth. With great study skills, the general education part of college will be immmensely facilitated. It's better to work double now, than triple in the future.

The best advice that would have greatly benefited me and provided a possible different outcome in my future, would be that I should have taken advantage of more AP classes. I would tell myself not to be intimidated about these upper level courses, because in the end they would have greatly helped me prepare for college. I would also tell myself to participate in more extracurricular activities as this would look good on my resume for college, but more importantly it would help to build character. Study more, and take your future more seriously because you could have had a different future from what you have now. A very important thing I would also advise would be to save for the future, and put all your hopes of receiving a scholarship. I think my future turned out very well, but there are things that I regret that I overlooked that could have boosted my chances at a higher job position. So I think the most imporant thing that I would like to say to my past self is to not be afraid of the future. Be outgoing and ferocious in your goal to learn everything and anything in this life.

The first step to finding the right college is deciding on the environment you want to be surrounded by. The environment is so important because it has many influences on the student. Being in a big city, a student is more drawn to activities outside of college because there is so much to do. A small town is more calm and a better studying setting. The next step should be the size of the college. In small colleges, the student can receive more one on one time with the professors, but they may find a better selection of study buddies in a big college. If you know what field you want to go into, you need to find a college that offers your desired major. Depending on your form of transportation, you need to determine the distance you want to be from home. Once you have settled on a college that fits you and your personality, you should try to enjoy the experience. You need to make new friends and get involved in campus activities. You should get to know your professors and classmates. College is one of the greatest adventures in a lifetime if you have an optimistic attitude.

Kelsey, I know you are pretty excited about going to college. Here are some things you must do to have an enjoyable college experience and be successful. Study all the time. This sounds like common sense, but grades are top-priority. Keeping up with your assignments is the most important thing you can do. Never wait last minute to cram for a big test; study a little every night. Even more importantly, never skip class. A friend told me it's similar to the Pringles slogan, "once you pop, you can't stop", so don't even start. Get connected, make friends, and be involved. You didn't do a lot of this in high school, so don't miss your chance in college. This is an important time in your life, so make the most of it. Friends, especially in your classes, are great study buddies and are more than willing to help you succeed. You can gain a lot of educational benefit from attending extracurricular seminars and group discussions. Getting connected also means networking. This is very important for most carreer fields. Above all, study hard, have fun, and be successful! You can do it!

Now that I have been living the college life for a semester, I have a lot of advice I wish I could have provided for myself as a senior in High School. At the beginning of my senior year, I would of chosen classes that were going to academically challenge me. By doing this, I would have been more prepared for the constant busyness and crazy testing schedules of college courses. Another major piece of advice I lacked as a high school student was study skills. Most high school classes don?t require a week full of studying and back then, looking over the notes the day before an exam was sufficient enough to receive an A. That has definitely been my greatest realization. The most important advice I wish I had given myself would be to have taken the AP tests. Throughout High School, I enrolled in AP classes my sophomore through senior year but never had the courage to take AP testing at the end of the course. Being ahead on credits such as World History and Statistics would lighten the load for a college student and let them focus on the classes that emphasize their major.

Before coming to Troy, I was in class with a lot of young students. It was very hard to concentrate inside the classroom. I tried online classes at those schools but they required that we meet for class once a week. At Troy, it's totally online. I am teaching myself but I have the options to come to class a 8 AM or 8PM without a long drive and finding parking. The class is setup through a program called Blackboard and we have classroom dicussions (without being interrupted) and a student lounge where we can chat about anything. The teachers at Troy go the extra mile to make sure that you ar eunderstanding the material. The teachers have an open door policy and you can talk to them about anything. Troy has help shape and mold me to learn not only what the teacher is teaching but to empower me to learn more information about the topic on my own. Weekly I have to write papers about that weeks assignments and what I understood from it and the teachers allow us to write freely, how we speak or our natural language. I have enjoyed this experience greatly.,

If I could go back in time as a high school senior and talk to myself about my future in college, I would tell myself to always remain the same and stay original. Don't let anyone influence you, Mercedes, and stay the strong-willed person that you are. While you are here preparing for college, know that as well as high school, college will be some of the best days of your life; enjoy it while you can. Go ahead and start preparing for college, apply for scholarships now so you will not be in much of a financial bind and stressing over financial responsibilities while you are still young. Take every positive opportunity and experience that you can and run with it. Dont be afraid of anything new. If travel opportunities arise, run with it. Explore what you can while you can. Enjoy life as a young person and don't take everything so serious right now or stress yourself out. All you need to stay focused on for now is yourself, your grades, family, friends and social life. Take one day at a time and remember to keep a smile on your face through it all.