Troy University

« See more reviews of Troy University

If I could go back in time and give myself advice, I would say to always be myself. Even though I am moving away from the people I have surrounded myself with for years, I should not change myself to try to make new friends. I would tell myself to study more, because classes get harder and normally the only grades are from two tests. I would say to not stress the small stuff, and to just take it one minute at a time. To enjoy the college life to a healthy extent, to learn to balance school and fun better than I have in the past because it matters more in college. Most of all, I would say that everything happens for a reason, and that you can not change fate no matter how hard you try, so do not waste your life trying. That God will only put as much on you as he knows you can handle, and that in the moments that you think you are all alone that you never are. God will always put people in your life who can help you accomplish your goals.

In college you will find yourself with different schedules and commitments. You must keep track of all the dates and times tests, quizzes, and projects are due. Make sure you have one central calendar in a day planner, PDA or some other type of planner. This will help you make sure you know what's going on at all times in your college life. PDA's are most useful because you can set up alarms to remind you of things. It is critical that you are able to stay organized throughout college. Space is at a premium, and you will save a lot of time and headaches if you are able to locate all of your class notebooks, papers, and other materials. Use your calendar to plan ahead for tests and quizzes. You never know who you will run into again down the road or when you will need something. Make sure you are always nice to people in your major. As you get closer to graduation, you tend to start having classes with the same people.

If I was to go back in time and give myself an advice, it would have to be: prepare yourself for what's ahead in the future and apply to as many scholarships you are able to. I had my mind set on to what I was going to major in and how I was going to finish it all within a time period that I had set for myself. I can't say I didn't apply to any scholarship programs but I wasn't motivated at all. All I wanted to do was get done with high school and get started in the real world. Easier said than done. I wasn't prepared for anything that was thrown at me. I thought it was suppose to go smoothly like it did in my head. College classes took me by surprise and before I knew it I had to drop one of my classes. All I have to say is that keep your mind open to any possibilities that might come to you, prepare yourself of what's to come, apply to as many scholarships as you can, and don't let your senioritis get the best of you.

If I could visit myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to enjoy the little things. I've learned in my 3 1/2 years of college that the memories I hold aren't about what tests I passed or failed, but about the times I spent hanging out with friends. Late night Waffle House runs, midnight trips to the beach, taking pictures and videos in the park - I will remember these moments for the rest of my life. Not only would I tell myself to enjoy the small things, but I would also give myself the advice to not date my freshman year. I changed and grew up so much after my freshman year. I would tell myself to take the time to spend with friends instead of just one guy. Finally, I would tell myself to take any and all opportunities to serve others. Whether it was mission trips or service projects, I wish I had taken better advantage of those opportunities to give back to the community.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry so much about college choices. In high school, I was worried about which college I should attend and hadn't even figured out my major yet. Knowing what I know now, I would tell my high school self to go with my parents' suggestions, because they actually knew what they were talking about. College is a learning experience. You are supposed to use the experience to grow as an individual and find out what exactly you want to spend the rest of your life doing. If I hadn't come to Troy University, I don't know if I would have been as content with my career choice, or if I would have even figured it out as quickly as I did here. To my high school self: I cannot wait for you to get to Troy and live through all of the experiences that make you who you are today.

I would tell myself to relax; college is incredible. I would tell myself to, under no circumstances, take 8 o'clock morning classes. I would warn myself of on-campus one-ply toilet paper. I would tell myself to stay away from the cafeteria's pizza at least twice a week, and to instead grab an apple or a yogurt parfait (and I would tell myself that I will grow to love yogurt parfaits). I would tell myself to take obnoxiously detailed notes, even if I thought the information given was irrelevant in regards to the tests or exams. I would tell myself to enjoy the challenge of balancing working for money and working toward my degree. Most importantly, I would tell myself to learn with every opportunity I was given, and not to simply hold information until exam-day; instead, to take the information in and use it to better myself outside of the classroom as well.

Hey first off, no you did not invent that time machine you made up in your head when you were twelve. Lets just say you steped in a time warp and got lucky. Secondly go ahead and apply for Savanah School of Art and Design, you or should I say we are talented enough for a scholarship. Stop holding back you ideas and being afraid of failing, what good is that doing? Sometimes you just have to put your mind on hold and let go. Thats something you don't do, just relax and have fun. You over analyze and try to control everything which is impossible. So all I'm asking is to loosen up and talk to people so they won't go back and say a year later when they see you and say that they thought you were a stuck up prude with no sense of humor. See you in two years fool hope you have a nice summer and p.s. don't go to Disneyland it was lame to the highest degree.

There are times that you have to encourage yourself. In life, there are two roads to take, the right road and the left road. I would encourage myself not to be afraid of taking “The road not taken” by Robert Frost. I believed that I took the left road, however it was the right road for me; and knowing that comes with wisdom. In knowing what I know now, I would have revisited by long and short- term goals more frequently rather than waiting on the unexpected to occur. My dreams and goals are the reasons that I continue to pursue my tranquil life, and the productive example to set for others. I am the woman then and now, with great destiny and fulfilling purpose with endless dreams and possibilities that will forever leave an everlasting impression on my family and the world. I am the woman then and now with the mindset to dominate my future.

I will tell myself that being a student recognized for receiving A's in all classes is entirely up to the student. The grades that we receive are not determined by the professor, intead it is determined by the amount of work and dedication that the student has to succeed. I will also tell myself that maintaining a 4.0 GPA is not as hard as it seems. Procastination is another thing that really does not get you far ahead. So it is always a smart thing to make sure to be on top of the assignments in each class. It is also okay to hve fun as a college student but the most important thing is to make sure that everything is completed for each class to avoid problems later on. Being a college student is not really as hard as it is made out to be. Once a student makes the choice to succeed in college, then everything eventually falls into place...

So far, my college experience has been everything I could ask for. I have been able to meet new people that will be lifelong friends in just a few short months. My first semester was a crazy one because I had no idea what college was going to be like. In high school everything was almost handed to me because I was a teachers pet and worked as hard as I could to be salutatorian of my class. In college I am trying my best to work hard as I did when I was in high school. It is valuable to me because in today's time, you can't make a living with out a college degree. I chose to work hard for what I wanted and plan to keep it that way. College is making me see that life isn't a free ride. What you want, you have to work for, and that's how I'm going to stay on track with my life so I can provide for the family that I one day want to have.