Troy University

« See more reviews of Troy University

My advice to myself would be to take advantage of any scholarships or financial aid I was able to. I received a full ride academic scholarship to several schools as a high school senior, and once I actually got to college I lost focus on school and ended up losing my scholarship. My poor decisions have caused me to take out student loans and put myself into debt at a young age. I am also working about 30 hours a week to help pay for school, and this makes it harder to focus solely on school. I threw away probably $50,000 worth of free money just because I wanted to party and have fun, and I realize now how big of a mistake that was. I am thankful that I learned from my mistakes and have managed to stay in school. I wish that I could give this advice to all high school seniors so that people won't make the same mistakes that I did.

Don't let them over-think their decison and analyize everything about the school. It's kinda like when you find your soulmate. You don't question it, you don't look for it, it just kinda comes to you and right then and there you just know that that is where you are supposed to be. This is my second year at Troy University and I still absolutly love it. I almost went to another school right out of high school just to follow my friends and one week before graduating decided that I didn't really think I would be happy there. Those people are still my friends but the friends I've made here, I couldn't imagine not having in my life. The end result of the college decision usually turns out just the way that it's supposed to. It's all apart of the plan. Stress only makes it worse and helps no one. So No worries, and Good Luck! :)

It is important to always research the colleges you are interested in! Just because a college or university looks good on paper or in a brochure doesn't mean it's the perfect one for you. Make sure they offer activities and clubs that pique your interest. You don't want to be bored, and extracurricular activities are a great way to spend time and meet new friends. In order to make the most of your college experience, don't be shy! Go out there and talk to people, because you never know who you'll have things in common with. In class, speak with your professors and don't stay hidden in the back. You never know when you may need a favor, and a friendly professor is a good person to have on your side. Most of all, HAVE FUN! College is one of the best experiences of young adulthood, and it's meant to be enjoyed.

I would advise my self not to be preasured by others and trying to live to their expectations. Take a little breather, do one school at a time not two while working. I would also advise to not let others decide your fate; be strong and find your own path. Finally assign yourself a goal every year to reach to that has nothing to do with school, work, or money. If you want to write a book then assign yourself that goal and do it, want to make a musical then do it, want to start a candle Ccompany THEN DO IT! Don't hesitate or try and watch life through a window. Go out there and just Live. Make mistakes, try something new, fall in love, but no matter what STOP LETTING OTHERS RUN YOUR LIFE, YOUR GOALS, AND YOUR FUTURE AND GO OUT A ENJOY YOUR LIFE YOURSELF; its the only one your going to get.

I would become more organized because it is hard trying to keep up with assignments and exams and their due dates. When I first started, I was a big procrastinator, but now that I have realized how serious college is, I complete work ahead of time and space my time out to get other things done. Time is not set for me anymore, I have to stay on top of things. Having a break between classes is good also. Therefore, I will be able to review notesfrom the previous class, and rewrite them if I have to. Also, I would visit the campus more than once so I would know where everything is, and I would not be looking lost. Another advice would be to practice better studying habits because sometimes it is extremely hard to concentrate on work. but it is not fun slacking off.

My college experience has changed my attitude toward the outlook of my future. I used to be very negative and not strive to do anything. When I met my husband he pushed me to return to college, and I have earned an Associates degree. We also have a 2 year old daughter and I want to show her that a college education is possible to acheive no matter your situation. College is extrememly valuable to attend for the sake of pursuing an ideal career for you. As hard as it is to admit, I do not know everything there is to know, and I get great satisfation out of learning something new every day. Another thing I have gotten out of my college experience is being able to motivate my husband to start his college career and to better himself within the Air Force.

When visiting colleges, break away from the group and talk to the students, the ones leading you around gloss over reality because they aren't allowed to say anything negative about the school. Most students have no problem giving you the campus reality. Get a course book, to make sure they offer what you want. After you find the college for you, keep the crazy for the weekend, don't get classes that are earlier than you're willing to wake up, go to at least one home football game, surf the extracurriculars, and if you must join the greek system (which takes up a lot of time and money, not to mention that fraternities and sororities have forgotten the meaning of being Greek) wait until your second semester so you know you can handle the load.

The first thing I would tell myself is to not stress out. I spent so much time worrying about school and if I would fit in that I made myself sick. I came here and made friends in no time at all. I would also tell myself to spend a lot more time with my family. While I was living at home I took my family for granted, but being away from them has made me appreciate them so much more. I now realize that I have a wonderful family and I am blessed to have them in my life. The last thing I would tell myself is college is completely unlike anything I expected. I would tell myself that though it may be hard at times, but you?ve got to stay strong and think positively. One can accomplish anything with confidence and a positive attitude.

If I had the ability to travel back in time as a senior in high school, I would inform myself of the importance of getting all of the education now because they are very important in the continuance and the completion of my college courses. I would also tell myself to prepare mentally of being in college. It is a different life than being in high school. I would have to lean and depend more on myself and less on my parents. My instructors and professors in college will not baby me and continue to remind me of upcoming assignments that are due or quizzes and exams. I would need to learn and practice taking effective notes, time management, and organizing. Enjoy life and prepare to begin a new life during my time in a college setting.

Immediately out of high school I was burnt out and did not wish to attend college, so I attended a school to become a Radiological Technician. After a quarter of schooling toward that profession, I hated it. I then decided I wanted to attend a university, and only had one opportunity still available for financial aid. It was a blessing to receive that opportunity, but if I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to NOT take the "easy" way out and not to make plans based on someone else. Do what I love and want to spend my life doing. Don't let others hold you back because if they truly cared and supported you, they would encourage you to go forward and pursue what your heart desires!