Troy University

« See more reviews of Troy University

The student-to-be should take a semester or two off and work, or travel, or volunteer before jumping into college. Universities are not so much another step on the way to a diploma and a high-paying job as they are an individual's proving ground. Go into it equipped with as much life experience as you can, so as to better understand what you need to get out of the school system. Don't be afraid to talk to the faculty about what you need or want out of your programs: in any school, you get out of it as much or as little as you are willing to take.

Find a college that you are comfortable with. The one that makes you feel at home when you visit. Try to speak to people that are connected to the college that you are considering such as employees, students, alumni and members of the surrounding community. Ask questions about their experiences, good and bad. I would also suggest asking what department, office or person has been the most helpful. Colleges often have services or programs meant to help student with a multitude of things that are not necessarily well publicized.

I would tell myself that there are plenty of new people in college to meet and share interests with. There are a lot of activities and organizations in which to get involved. I will have more opportunities to do anything I choose and have time for. I would also tell myself not to worry about whether my high school had prepared me for college, because the adjustment is not as big of a deal as everyone makes it seem. There is extra time to compensate for the difficulty level of college courses. Everything balances out!

The advice i would give myself would be to become a little more outspoken. I would also tell myself to take advantage of that last year as a dependent student, because when you become a college student you kind of become independent in a way. what i mean is like no one is going to make you do your work, make sure you go to class , and come wake you up for school. I guess i would tell myself to train for becoming an independent student, even though i didn't have any problems when the time came.

I started my college career at Troy University as a 34 year old father married and working full time as a deputy sheriff. Troy University offered me the convenience and flexibility of an online education. A quality online education that was engageing and challenging. I wasted a good part of my youth but thanks to Troy I have filled that gap. I am now a graduate looking to further my education. I would and have recomended Troy to my co-workers as an accomadating school for a working adult.

I would tell myself to plan my entire college course load right away. I would tell myself to plan ahead and stay focused. I would tell myself to get help and seek advice even when I do not need it. Tell myself college is not about making friends and hanging out. I would tell myself to stay focused about what I am doing, and remind myself why I'm attending college. Tell myself that my future is depended on me getting good grades and having a great GPA.

I would have went to the college of my dreams. I came to another university because they gave me more money but i regret it. It is just not the same. I am trying with all of my might to gain scholarship money to fix my mistake and go to the University of Alabama next year. I would also have rushed. I did not want to do it my freshman year and now i regret missing out on the experience. I will rush next year whether I transfer universities or not.

After high school, continue educating yourself while you are young and do not have the responsibility of being a wife or parent. Before starting orientation, know whom, where, and how you will accomplish your goals. Do not be influenced by others with the party scene. There will be plenty of time to party once you reach your goals. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is partying in the beginning and trying to get focus towards the end.

When searching for the right college, a student should deside on ones personal beliefs and desires. A student should choose for themselves, not by where anyone else is going. the school needs to offer majors you are interested in and a good student involvement program. Most college offer a vast amount of organizations a student can choose from - I suggest getting started immediatly when looking for a organization to be apart of.

Prepare for college while you're still in high school. Research schools and payment options early so that you aren't stressed out when it comes time to leave for school. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to have good grades. It is very hard for even average students to get scholarships in this competitive environment. Your hard work will pay off without a doubt.