Truman State University Top Questions

Academics are the most important aspect of Truman. Most students that come to Truman come for academics. We aren't known for our sports and the city life is non-existent in Kirksville. We are in the top ten universities in the Midwest Region based around the US News college ranking lists. So when you ask what the academics are like all I can say is they are the core of our school.

Louis

Academics are Truman's top priority. Most of my professors know me by name, which is a rather odd thing to experience, as some classes still have a large population of students in them. Some of the schools academic requirements are a bit rough. For, an extreme, example: sophomore nursing students are required to pass every test with a 75{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}, with one retake available. Should they not receive the 75{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} on the retake, they're removed from the program with a grade of "D." If you don't mind studying when it's time to study, Truman can be a navigable choice.

Truman's courses are tough. To be honest, many of the professors are quite demanding. However, this isn't a bad thing. This is the best way for us to prepare for a future where nobody is holding our hand and telling us what to do. Also, since Truman is a liberal arts and sciences university, we aren't merely funneled down a path that corresponds to our major. Instead, we have the opportunity to grow and learn in many different subject areas - regardless of our major. It certainly helps that Truman offers small class sizes and has a small student to professor ratio. I know my professors personally, and they are practically always willing to help me with anything from a homework problem to advice about applying to graduate school. I am a biology major, so I can't speak for every department. So as far as biology goes, I really can't complain. There are very tough courses, and difficult requirements. I love the tight bond the students have, though. I know many people in my classes through different organizations and previous classes, so that is always very helpful.

Classes are hard, but most of them are small enough that you're not just floundering along listening to a lecture with 200 other students. My largest class had 60 students, and that was pushing it. We actually only have a few classrooms that will even hold that many people. Professor here are hit and miss, although no one would argue that they are not brilliant in their own way. They are not required by our school to do research or write anything, however, which makes their main focus on their students. All of them have open office hours and most respond quickly to student emails for help. It is very nice knowing that you have someone who is willing to help you out if you need the extra assistance. As far as students go, the average student tends to be smarter than what you would find at a normal public university. That doesn't mean that every person is a super smart genius, but Truman is also chock full of the dumbest people you could even imagine, but the general tendency is kids who want to go far and are willing to work to get there. However, that means that our school puts a lot of stress on students to do well. Classes usually require more work and harder exams and projects, and it is not unusual for students to give up partying on the weekends to make sure they can survive a class.

Deanna

Truman has an awesome academic climate! My professors know me by name, and are truly committed to helping me succeed. People actively participate in class discussions and make it stay interesting. The professors make sure to challenge us, though, so we spend a good bit of time studying and therefore really learn our stuff. I am an English and Medieval Studies (an Interdisciplinary Studies Major) double-major, so i get to experience both Truman's excellent and well-known English department, and sample many of the other departments with my [unusual] Medieval Studies major.

Alan

The real reason you're attending any higher-education facility is to, well, get yourself edumakated. As such, you should have volumes of options anywhere you go as to what you want to learn, and what you want to do with it. No class you take won't improve you in some way, whether that class was take here or elsewhere; yet given the requirments @ Truman, much of the faculty clearly wants us there to learn for the sake of learning. This is not a school packed with - as one of my proffessors put it - Vo-Tech degrees. You may have an end-goal, a vocation that drives you through university. Yet, while you are here, expect yourself to get bogged down with that feeling OF university; the experience of being there, and the volumes of info to learn take precidence over the future. Many will speand a week, or more, a year trying to 'get out of here' and into the "real world," by forming a list of what classes to take and when. However, expact that to change once you have a plan. I spend less time thinking about an unpredictable future and more time thinking about the 'now' when I'm there. Can you get that at other colleges? most likely, you can. Can I garuntee you will feel that here? yes. You will end up attending this university not for the 'great, diverse, Liberal-Arts eduaction' quatation that the faculty's favorite ads will ram down your throat, but you will have found yourself staying here because of a love for learning, experiencing, and growing that might be un-achievable elswhere. As for the classes, the school is far from difficult. To get the A almost anywhere is difficult; the time you mut put in for that 90{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}+ is enormus. to get a B or a C? not hard. All the professors keep to the required office hours, and if you make it your priority to get to know them, at least a little, makes everything all the easier. I'm not saying go suck-up to your teachers, but I am saying that the minimum effort plus getting to know your Prof. can earn you a B more often than not (except for the Math+Stats department, where I have found ONE professor that I like. One good person in a faculty of 12 that I have met? bad odds if you ask me...). It isn't impossible to get a D or fail a class; but I am a 3.0 student (2.9+ is close enough) and of the 2 D's that I have gotten, one was for a math class, and the other was a health class that I simply did not feel the need, my sophmore year, to attend. You honestly have to stop caring AT ALL to do poorly in a class here; nothing is really that hard (except for the Math classes; I took Upper level classes in a College prep highschool, and did fine. However, when the professor starts shaking when you ask hm/her a question, nothing gets done) if you put the minimum work in. As is true with many things, what you put in is what you get out. If you want to be competitive with grades, you'll get competition. If you want intellectual conversation outside of class, other students will supply. We have a great library and Student Union Building to study in, and many professors that I have had (except for the math department) have, often, invited students into their homes for big events (Thanksgiving, Easter, Superbowl parties, etc.) or offered up thier own offices for study times. The minimum effort will get you there, but the maximum effort is easier to achieve than many think it.

Quinn

The music faculty are on the whole great. Outside the music department I have not had loads of expierance, but, many of the expierances that I have had have been throughly dissapointed.

I love the small class sizes and the fact that if you attend class, your professor will know your name. I'm a huge fan of our Agriculture Department, even though most students don't even know we have one! All the professors are so happy to help out with whatever you need, and they're always available! I've had professors give out their home and cell phone numbers in class to make sure we can reach them if we have trouble with anything.

For the first time ever, I have had to work hard. In high school I didn't have to put much effort forth to get top grades. At Truman I have been forced to not only work hard, but to really learn what it means to study. I have also learned how to fail in a way. I've always received top grades, barely breaking a sweat for better than a 4.0, and at Truman I've struggled to maintain a B average. That's hard to swallow, but a good lesson to learn in anycase.

Speaking of studying, that's mostly all I do. The classes are hard. The professors work you to death, but most outsiders know about this and they respect us. The nursing department actually gave us the nickname "Harvard of the Midwest". I don't know how accurate this is considering how cheap we are, but academics are definetely number one at Truman. My major is a great example of this. I'm an interdisciplinary major. This means that I study one thing throught the eyes of many different disciplines. My interdisciplinary major is Leadership Theory. It is based on the theory that leaders are born, not made. Its purpose is to help me to suceed in law school (the next step towards me becoming a great leader). It is divided up into three parts: problem solving, knowledge, and human relations. I take classes in Justice Systems, Communication, Political Science, Psychology, and many more. I love it. I think it makes me a well-rounded scholar!

Tom

I love the professors here. Most of the professors in my major have taken the time to learn my name, and over the years have developed a fairly close relationship. This is great, considering most of the professors I have had, I have had more than once (not simply by choice I might add.) I have never, ever had a grad student teach a class. You can't say that if you attend a major state school. Students are always studying, everywhere. Class participation is common, but not usually required. However most professors take notice if you are skipping class on a regular basis. My only complaint about Truman academics...well make that my only two complaints. The biggest complaint I have has to do with Truman's "modes of inquiry." The modes are basically required classes that you have to take to graduated. Most of them...you guessed it, are bullshit. I am studying to be a physician, and I see little need (as well as every medical school I have ever talked to) for me to take calculus or 3 semesters of a foreign language. I know that may come off as being a little closed minded; that I may find English as the only important language. That is NOT THE CASE. Most people who attend this school have higher ambitions than just a Bachelors degree, and would like to finish their undergrad as soon as they possibly can.

Academics are very strong at Truman and the success rate is rather high. The professors will help you succeed as long as you do your part. Plus, the admission to grad school is very very high from TSU.

Sheryl

Truman students are competitive, have intellectual conversations inside and outside the classroom and are very challenged by their professors. Don't come to Truman looking for a cake-walk.

There are very good caring professors, all out to help you and they all know their students names', encourage you to drop by their offices, etc.

Jess

The thing I love about Truman is that it's perfect in size. You get to know your classmates and your teachers fairly well and I can tell you that the majority of my professors knew my name. As a psychology major I think my favorite classes were the ones based around children (Behavior Modification, Child Development, Attachment Theory). I feel like I learned the most in those classes and carry that information with me still. Having said that, I will say I worked my butt off all 4 years of college. Some students are competitive, but unless you want to share your grades, generally they are only for your eyes to see. The psychology department is one of the largest on campus. It's hard to get into classes as a freshman and sometimes even as a sophomore. But some professors are flexible and will let you override the capacity so you can take the classes you need.

classes are relatively small at Truman and most, if not all, of the professors I've had at Truman still know my name. Many Truman students spend most of their week studying then making up for their stressful week on the weekends (binge drinking, perhaps?). I've had many favorite classes, particularly anything with Roberta Donahue or and of the HES faculty (they are amazing!). I've held many intellectual conversations with students outside of class ranging from politics, religion, pop psychology, the environment, health behaviors, etc. I have been invited to Java Co and yoga classes by some of my professors and I've also baby sat for many of them. Some of the LSP courses at Truman seem ridiculous- you could attain these requirements at a community college, but they are necessary. Many students are lucky if they get to graduate on time; some are on the super senior track. Truman is both geared towards getting students the jobs they want/need, getting into grad school, etc. It is also geared towards making a well rounded, intellectual individual as well.

Logan

Academics at truman are very good. i am proud to know that my diploma from truman will be looked well upon by other schools. the teachers are very intelligent on their particular subjects and even though they may be a little too smart for their own good sometimes i am lucky to have this education!

I love it at Truman, but compared to my friends's stories at their colleges, Truman demands way too much. My course load even during a 12 credit semester can be ridiculous. I feel like I'm constantly doing homework, always studying, teachers never give a break, and constantly staying up late, missing activities, etc. because of my homework. Some of my professors didn't even know my name by the end of the semester. I think students are studying at least 6-8 hours a night, including weekends. I know I have spend over 20 hours in two days studying for one test. I feel like there is so much pressure to succeed and do well, but no one helps you actually achieve this. I feel like the academics need to be toned down a bit.

Truman is getting a very good reputation as a pre-med school, and is known to be pretty solid everywhere else. The students, only half-jokingly, refer to the school as the Harvard of the Midwest. Most of the degree programs are pretty tough, and most of the students have graduate school aspirations. The professors do really get to know you after a while, and most of them are pretty good. The economics department is reasonably solid, and the faculty even lets you do research during your undergrad years. The school puts on an undergraduate research conference every year to showcase the variety of research done by Truman students. The students really care about class as a rule, and it can be competitive, but never spiteful.

Academis at Truman are AWESOME!!! I truely feel like I received the best undergrad education possible! The teachers push you, and you learn so much from it. The professors definitely know you by name, and you can become really close with your major professors. Many Truman students go on to grad school, so classes are geared towards that, especially exercise science classes. Since Truman is a liberal arts university, every studen leaves with a wide variety of knowledge. Your JINS class your junior year ties together multiple disciplines. Many students dislike these classes, but mine was very enjoyable (it was about religion, health and healing) and it was a good way to emphasize why a liberal arts education is important and how it can be applied to your future career.

Truman is a liberal arts school. Naturally, students are required to take core "LSP" classes over a broad range of disciplines, as well a courses within thier major. Sure, there is always one or two subjects that we despise or feel ungifted in. But if you're not interested in anything more than just CHEMISTRY or BUSINESS or ENGLISH, then you will find the LSP requirements very cumbersome and quite annoying. Don't come to Truman. I truly believe Truman is dedicated to developing the life-long learner who has an appreciation and knowledge of many different subjects, and that is why I came. But please, please don't be that person who chooses Truman and then complains constantly about what it requires. We have enough of those!

The professors seem to learn your name fairly quick. My favorite class was either Spanish or Public Speaking. The teachers were amazing and invested in the students. My least favorite class was biology because the teacher used powerpoints that were pretty much of no help as they were word for word out of the book. She overcomplicated things, but couldn't explain them in latent terms. I also disliked it because I felt she was trying to impress other staff members with her tests instead of test us on our comprehension. The tests often times blew me out of the water; I had a hard time even understanding what was being asked. Students study fairly often and if they don't keep up you will find them pulling all nighters to get the work completed. Class participation is very common and some teachers base a percentage of grades on it. Students have fun when they get free time, but are very intelligent for the most part so intellectual conversations can occur. Students seem pretty competitive, although, I think many get burnt out to carry it through the whole year. World Music is probably the most unique class I took. I am a ComDis major and feel that the staff members are experts in their field. Often times they can be very intimidating. My major classes was one of my hardest because I was really challenged with the amount of information I was supposed to obtain and elaborate on. Time spent with professors out of class is a rare occurence. Truman emphasizes life long learning but it is my hope that Truman is geared toward preparing us to market ourselves for our desired jobs. I guess I will see in five years how that goes.

tom

This school is way to hard. Truman strives for excellence but fails because the classes are often irrelavant in respect to the real world.

Every professor I've had at Truman, including general education/liberal studies program professors, remembers me and my name. It's nice to be able to meet with your professor to discuss problems or your progress in class. The professors are very open to that and are concerned about progress. I've only had about two classes in a large classroom, and it was because it was a general education class (like Chemistry and Statistics). Students study pretty often, even for the general education classes, but it's not overly time consuming if you know how to manage your time -- and you HAVE to know how to manage your time. I would definitely say that class participation and intellectual conversations outside of class are common. Students also definitely compete academically because success is so important for many students, but certainly not all of them. Truman's academic requirements are different from regular public universities because it's a liberal arts school (and the only one in the state of Missouri). It's a really unique experience, but it's certainly not for everyone. The education at Truman is not geared toward one job in particular because of the liberal arts program, but it prepares students for work, without a question. Truman also prepares students for further education, like graduate school, because there is a lot of focus on thinking critically.

"The professors know your name" is the new slogan at Truman and to some degree its true. Some professors do know your name, others don't care as much. Overall, professors at Truman, challenge their students. Truman is set up so that each student is challenged, a student has to take classes in each field. Thats the beauty of a Liberal Arts Eduation. In general, if you're a student at Truman, you're a nerd, and deep down enjoy the academic challenge. You don't go to Truman if you want an easy degree. You go for the satisfaction of leaving in (hopefully) 4 years knowing that you worked your butt off and accomplished the goal you set out for. You may not have always gotten the grade you wanted or desevered. But you suvived and you walked away all the better for it.

Professors are very accessible, and although the school is demanding, it is very manageable.

Academics at Truman are very challenging. There really isn't an easy class to take here that wouldn't challenge intellectually in some way. Students are extremely competitive about every aspect of their college career here. With that, the professors do know your name and form relationships with you throughout your college experience.

Felicia

You definitely learn your stuff if you try. I'm not a fan of the liberal arts so much, but it is helpful in everyday life discussions. Truman is competitive and you are required to My favorite class was Military Science 100 & 101. Its amazing and you dont have to be ROTC to take it! The Schoolof Accountancy & Business is rough, but holds prestige as well. Professors are easy to meet with outside class, or the most part, and many are willing and happy to help if you have any questions. Education at Truman is about learning and discovering, getting a job is what becomes of the learning...:)

I think Truman is really, really underrated. People who go to other colleges don't understand how challenging Truman is. And really, it's a great deal. It's so much cheaper than most other places, and you get a lot of bang for your buck. I don't think I could get this good of an education for so cheap anywhere else. Personally, I don't spend time with my professors outside of class, but I know there are people who do. Professors, in my experience make themselves very accessible to students. In the Art Department, the professors doors are almost always open, and it's very easy to just pop in with a quick question. There's also certainly a lot of intellectual conversation outside of class. I hear conversations all the time about current events, policies, literature...and that's all in the students' spare time. The most important thing Truman does is prepare its students for their careers. As a VisCom major, I can say that classes in my major are geared specifically for jobs in illustration, graphic design, commercial art, etc. In fact, the professors have said "treat this project as though I'm a client." It's very job-oriented, but at the same time there are classes (GenEd classes, for example) where you just learn for the sake of learning.

For the most part the classes are relatively small. I'd say in my major an average class size is 25-35 students. This is comparable to my highschool experience. Almost every professor I've had knew my name. You have to make the effort to get to know them too though! Most of them have their doctorates too. I'd say that the focus of education depends on your major. Example: Business majors focus on getting students jobs... Philosophy majors focus on learning and growing. Truman will definitely stress the importance of Liberal Arts... at first I was convinced it was superior, but now I'm not so sure. Our country is in recession and right now a particular job skill or focus doesn't seem so bad. My favorite classes are my Communication classes. My least favorite are my Business classes. I'm a Comm major, Business minor. Comm is awesome because everyone participates and the classes are primarily discussion based. My Business classes do not participate and I get the vibe that everyone is cramming and dumping to ensure they make it to the next frat party. Whatev...different priorities I guess. That is my perception, so I could be wrong.

I would say that most of my professors know my name. In mandatory classes and lectures where there are a lot of people in a class then those professors might only know your name if you take the time to talk to them, participate in class, or ask for help. But most professors take the time to get to know the students especially if its a professor in you major classes. Truman students do study a lot. The library is always busy no matter what time of day. Class participation is common. Depending on the classes you don't have to participate unless you want to but you get more out of it if you do. Truman students are know to be really smart and this is not just in the classroom. I know many students that integrate what they learn in class into their conversation with their friends. The most unique class I've take would be Human Sexuality. We learned about everything from female circumcision to sex positions. I am a health science major. It is divided up into 4 sections. My section is Health Administration. So I have to pick up a business minor. Depending on what section you go into determines what kind of electives you have to take. PRE-MED has to take a lot of science classes, I have to take a lot of business classes, others take more psychology classes. The electives are interesting too. Like I said I took human sexuality, I also took a Substance Abuse Prevention class where I learned all about drugs. Truman is a difficult school to get into. However, once you get in, as long as you keep on top of things and do your work, its easy to get good grades. Students who go to Truman are in good shape for getting jobs since the school is looked at so highly. One things that truman does offer that not many other schools offer in undergraduate research. The majority of Truman students have done some type of undergraduate research before they graduate.

Brad

the core classes are a great part of truman. (liberal studies program, LSP). i have learned a lot, and have had a great experience in most of my classes. participation in class is common (mostly towards the end of the semester), and that adds a lot to the experience.

tim

All of my professors learn my name. The class sizes are so small that we can have in depth meaningful conversations. My favorite class was called music and political protest. The assignments were mostly us giving our opinions and supporting them. I left class almost every day feeling enlightened about something. I could almost not concentrate in other classes because I was still thinking about that class. My least favorite class was chemistry. I tried to like it but I just had no interest in it. I have to take it though because of my major (biology). That is the only problem I have with the major. All of the other requirements I am okay with. I think if a student wants to prepare for a certain job then Truman prepares one for that. But if you aren't sure what to do after school then Truman provides a great education for learning's sake.

Jon

Marty Jayne is the best teacher Truman has. He cares about his students and is in his office 12 hours a day where almost every other teacher might be in there a couple hours a day.

Rusty

Most importantly, I will say that the professors do know everyone in the classroom by first and last name. The teachers are great and create a good atmosphere to hear them lecture and tell you what to teach yourself.

Almost all professors know my name. Unlike other schools, you can ask questions without feeling weird since there are so few students in classes. Professors are great, they are very nice and you will have at least one that will help you with your future. There are not very many free electives that are fun to take or interesting. It's just not a big enough school for that.

truman has a great liberal arts program. you take classes in tons of subjects and that opens you up to new things, without some of the liberal arts requirements i never would have found my minor, which i LOVE! since its a small school, the classes are small, much like in high school. the professors know who you are and are more than willing to talk to you outside of class to help you with any concerns that you might have.

Reese

I chose a school based on where I would get the best education, and thats really what you go to school for isnt it? Truman is amazing in academics, especially if you are going into Biology as I am. What's amazing about it is the professors truly do know your name. I can walk down the street and be called over by my first semester professor by first name. That's amazing to me, and it forces you to go to class. With small classes, professors can enforce attendance policies, and while I hate this at the time, it really forces you to go to class. And if you attend every class the Professor will take notice and it may help your final grade. I know I couldn't get this at a large school where the Professor wouldn't know who I was if I went into his office hours. Students at Truman are always academically involved, whether it is forming study groups, or discussing the past test or lecture. Its a whole different world from High School where school was the thing you left behind, at Truman you are constantly doing school work, its a huge part.

Amelia

All my professors know me, and the Psych department is great. I have many favorite professors. Students study a ton; Truman is known for it's hard classes. Class participation is very common. The education at Truman is definitely more geared towards learning for the sake of learning (we are a Liberal Arts school).

i loved the professors in my major field, the LSPs were way too difficult and also the proffesors were very personable

Many professors I have had remember me, but I talk a lot in class so I am hard to miss. Study time depends on the student... Class participation is usually a couple of kids in class and if you let them talk they may not stop... Many Truman students discuss political issue and the state of the economy outside of class. Many students at Truman are very competitive, intellectually. Some professors can be seen at the local bars and toward the end of the year have no problems drinking and bar crawling with the students. Truman's academic requirements are of a liberal arts mind, many art and science and lit classes will be involved. Education at Truman is geared for learning seeing as many Truman students go on to get higher degrees.

Aly

The Pickler Memorial Library is jokingly called "Club Pickler" as it is where you will find most of Truman's student population most weekdays until it closes. People spend a majority of their Truman experience in the library if they expect to get decent grades- or waste alot of time watching tv if they dont care. The requirements to get into Truman are not as rigorous as they should be considering the time and dedication it takes to get even a B average here. This is not your average blow-off state school.