Truman State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Truman State University

I enjoy being apart of the Truman State University community. I am a prospective student and Truman State University has been my very top pick school ever since I participated in Joseph Baldwin Academy program. Joseph Baldwin Academy was a program supervised by students and professors in Truman State offered to 7th graders to 9th graders.

Raistlyn

Truman State University is not my ideal school. I would prefer to be at a different school, but Truman was local and relatively small. Fellow students are incredibly irresponsible, but nothing is done about it. Especially during the time of the pandemic. Many of the faculty also come off as lazy. They don’t teach, but they basically have other things teach or grade for them. The school board also refuses to close the school for really anything. Negative ten degrees outside? Well it’s your lucky day! You get to brave the weather and walk to class. Over 60 students in one week getting COVID-19? I hope your immune system is great because we are still conducting classes. Let’s not forget that those with the corona virus refuse to stay in quarantine. A few years back there was also a frat student that convinced multiple students to commit suicide, but the school protected him at all costs. They then pretended like they cared about the mental health of student when in reality they only cared about money. With that being said, I really don’t like Truman State University.

This is a fine school if you want no help from teachers or peers. The extracurricular activities are fun but lack in funding. For being a dry and drug free campus, the students fail to follow that on a regular basis. Most of the people you will meet there are majorly stuck up and set in their ways.

Evan

Looks good but I'm worried about how for out in the middle of no where.

Erin

Truman State University is located in a small town and there isn't a lot to do but study. And you will definitely have to study. Most professors have very high expectations of their students, and the workload can often get pretty heavy. Within the biology program, at least, I feel that the class load was a bit too heavy, with most classes for the major requiring labs and offering little credit in return. If you attend this University, be prepared to work hard and fight for your education. While I feel that I have learned a lot, I am not sure I would have attended this university if I had known the struggles I would have graduating with all the requirements for the biology major.

Kelly

The campus is relatively small and all classes are within reasonable walking distance from the dorms. The student to teacher ratio is very good. The professors are very willing to work with their students and know them by name. There is more of an academic atmosphere to the school, but there are definitely chances to go out and party. Housing is generally great. The food is not the best, but we have Chik-fil-A and Starbucks.

I love, love, LOVE Truman! The vibrant academic community, involved professors, active extra-curriculars, and incredible price tag have earned Truman the top place in your college application list. While some people are discouraged when they realize Truman has a rural location, the small town feel only benefits the school. My friends and I are closer because we have learned to explore every nook and cranny of our new town, and every extracurricular group hosts creative events. There is always something to do!

Kaitlyn

Truman State University tends to attract students that care about more than grades, they care about learning and experiencing. The liberal arts program allows us students to explore more areas than are generally studied at college by the population. The atmosphere also allows students to further this desire for a higher experience in college. It's truly a place for learners and ambitious people.

Truman is fantastic!!

Bethany

The teachers and students are awesome. The work you put in is hard but worth it. Many say it is the Harvard of the west. I like it a lot. I have met many inspirational people and friends in my education at Truman. i hope to achieve great things. I have had an awesome time horse back riding, participating in GlobeMed and American Medical Student Association, and learning in the library. Truman State University is fantastic.

Natalie

I love the atmosphere of Truman. It is very friendly and the professors that I've had have been very willing to work with me and answer questions. There is a wide variety of clubs and organizations. That variety allows you to find your niche and explore activities outside of your major. The staff is very supportive and helpful if you are making major decisions like changing your major or adding a minor.

My overall opinion of Truman State is that it is a fantastic university for its size and the affordability is also a huge plus. I would advise anyone living in Missouri who considers themselves academically focused and planning on attending graduate school to strongly consider Truman. I have gained many opportunities here that I know I would not have at a larger university: I am a member student investment fund as a freshman and I am also taking piano lessons with the piano instructor. The school has its faults (I have had two classes that seemed not very educational, the dining hall food is mediocre, etc.) but, I am definitely still happy with my choice.

Gina

I love Truman! I knew this was where I wanted to be and it's lived up to all my expectations. Fellow students are amazing and we always have something to do. There's a real sense of community on campus and everyone is super friendly. The professors are amazing and I highly recommend Truman State to anyone who is considering it.

Zachary

Truman State is a community of students who wish to learn about the world in a well-rounded way. These students are supported by a faculty who supports the students to the best of their ability. The environment is safe and conducive to learning. This university is built on the principles of success and collaboration between its members.

Madi

Truman is a sad place where dreams and the love of learning go to die. There is no good food in the surrounding restaurants, no fun amenities in the town, and the student population is boring but weird at the same time... Truman is not a fun-loving person's best choice, as most of your time will be taken up by either studying or crying.

Bradley

Do NOT go here if you plan on taking anything other than Business or Communications. Any given STEM related professor is more than likely arrogant and impossible to work with. They expect you to do excessive hours of coursework with no regard for other classes' workloads. They keep office hours but only as a formality, they rarely answer questions or help with issues unless they're in a good mood or like you. There are a few good professors within each department, but they are far outnumbered by those who only care about their research. The overall mental health on campus is abysmally low, and there have been multiple suicides within the past 4 years alone. The administration handles each situation poorly and any mental health assistance is overwhelmed and overworked. The academic culture tortures those who are in non-Business or Communications majors, while those who are in those majors party constantly and breeze through classes with little to no effort.

Ashleigh

Such an amazing school! It definitely deserves the #1 public university award it has gotten for 20 years in a row. Academics are more intense than an average university, but nothing overly difficult or stressful. Lots of intermural sports, clubs, activities, fairs, etc. Fetty Wap and DRAM even performed in convent there this year!

Matthew

Truman is a school of intellectuals. Regardless of their field or major, most students apply themselves to learning and being dedicated in their studies. Concerning the professors there are a variety of types that appeals to different students learning style; like all universities there are excellent and decent professors. Truman offers many useful services to their students such a career counseling, writing workshop, research opportunities and seminars, and many more. Truman is a difficult school but doable with enough effort.

Amazing academics at an affordable price. Kirksville may seem like a small town you don't want to visit, but if you give it a chance, you can find the most beautiful places, unique history, and exciting adventures. I met some incredible people and enjoyed my college experience so much!

Tori

Truman is one of the most difficult, yet rewarding school ever. Everyday I feel challenged in academics but have such a wonderful time working with other students and professors. While the food service should definitely be improved, the school is awesome!

Helen

Nowhere is perfect, but Truman is pretty amazing! The academics are challenging, but there's plenty of ways to talk to professors or find a study group that can help a loot. Kirksville is a small town, so there's not much to do unless you like Walmart. There is always something happening on campus, though, so it's not like going to Walmart is your only option for fun.

Jenna

Truman is an overall great college! I am a freshman here, so I may not have discovered some issues I may have with Truman, but so far it's great! Most of the dorms are very nice, just make sure you choose a better one (it's worth the extra money). I received scholarships from the school that paid a little over my tuition. The teachers are all very accessible and will communicate with you, the class size is great, and I only have one large class (health). The liberal arts program is pretty extensive, but Truman just wants you to be a well rounded student. I have truly found my home here at Truman State!

Brock

Truman State University is the Hartford of the Midwest. The campus faculty are helpful, friendly, and the student to faculty ratio is 16:1. The campus consists of 180 acres which is plenty of room for the students to be social and make new friends! Plus, the small town of Kirksville, Missouri is filled with great shopping and food.

Tatianna

Before I began attending Truman State University, I had learned all about how it was dubbed the "Harvard of the Midwest." While that is a clever marketing tactic, students certainly get a rigorous academic experience that is not to be taken lightly. If academics are not taken seriously, the student is penalized heavily, in terms of GPA, and it can be extremely difficult raising a GPA so that one can earn back scholarships and relieve financial burden. Housing is decent, but there is certainly a culture of "which dorm is the best and worst." The option to have a fixed housing rate for two years does allow for one to move into better housing at not extra cost if desired. Mental health is somewhat of a problem because students are under constant pressure, and the food can leave one wanting, especially if eating at a dining hall every day, and especially because food is provided by Sodexo. Getting involved is easy because students receive weekly emails and can also view large cork boards in the dorms, on every floor, with posts of activities, tryouts, and other opportunities. Overall, Truman does look quite good for it being a small campus, and while Truman certainly has areas that could be improved (brickwork on paths between classes, low enrollment, food), it is a good school, providing a student knows what they are there for and takes advantages of services such as the Writing and Career Center. Otherwise, just as with any other college, it can be seen as the worst place to be. Note, also, that Truman is located in a small town, which can turn out to be not so great for students that come from big cities, as services such as Uber and Door Dash are not available and there is no dedicated mall. It also doesn't have as many of the chain retail stores and restaurants that students might be used to in their home town.

Ann Marie

Truman state is a beautiful school. The campus is big, the classrooms are not overfilled with students which is perfect. Everyone is extremely nice, the school is alive. The workers/employees are very helpful and will go out of their way to help anyone in need. Overall it is a great school.

Laura

I greatly enjoy this school. I love the size of the campus and the number of students in my class. The largest I ever had was 30 and that was perfect for me. Kirksville itself is a little lacking for activities to do. If you plan on having fun off campus, you won’t have very many opportunities.

Emma

Truman is very dedicated to academics and many professors are always willing to help. While this University is very much focused on education, there are still plenty of activities to get involved with on and off campus. We are a very diverse community where everyone belongs to at least one group of people. There are always fun and social events going on campus but they are totally optional. Overall, Truman is a great place to attend because they are determined to have their students succeed.

Grace

Truman State University is a very well rounded university. It provides students the opportunity to explore many different outlets of creativity and challenges their critical thinking skills. They encourage students to get involved in extra curricular activities and take the knowledge they've gained in the classroom out into campus and the real world and apply it to the best of their ability. Truman is a great place for equipping students to achieve successes in the goals they have for themselves and their futures.

Trenton

It is a good school especially since it is a liberal arts school. You make lots of new friends and the diversity of the school is great. The teachers try to make availability outside of the regular schedule hours to help out the students anyway they can. They really take you out of your comfort zone so you can get use to all of the studying you have to do and the work you would have to do when you get older. The facility is great and the places to go is easily accessible so you can do what you need to do. Overall the teachers are great and everyone on campus is nice and willing to help out if they can.

Allison

I love Truman State! It has a great atmosphere and there are a lot of cool people. I have made some really good friends since coming here and there are a lot of cool opportunities both on campus and off campus. The campus and the town are both beautiful as well. It is just a great place to be.

This is a great school!

Kelsey

Truman State University is a great place for people who like the small town environment and do not mind being further away from home. Truman has great degree programs but it can be hard sometimes to focus with all the activities that go on during the school year on campus

Mackenzie

Truman State University was and always will be my top choice in colleges. Not only is the campus a tight knit community but the small town of Kirksville will most likely have you feeling at home. There are more than enough organizations, 240 and counting to be precise, to feel right at home no matter where you are. Truman has made my transition to college smoother than I could have ever dreamed. The small campus allowed enough time to walk from on end of campus to the opposite side in just about 10 minutes. The faculty is always willing and ready to help no matter how far behind the student is. Any resource you need is on campus at your convenience. There are also academic counselors, mental health counselors, who do much more than you knew was possible, women's resource offices, and any other support you may be need. The security of Truman's campus allows me to walk home at any time of day or night. There are emergency buttons students can press if they are getting an uncomfortable feeling and Kirksville police will be notified and will show to the scene. There are many safe workers that will meet student anywhere on campus and walk them to their dorm if the student doesn't feel comfortable on their own.

Carolyn

Truman has always been my dream college. Once I got here, it was everything I hoped for and more. The students are incredibly welcoming and the professors are passionate about helping their students. Along with the nice people, the campus is beautiful. There are brick buildings, a lot of natural lighting, and plenty of trees. With the trees comes our famous campus squirrels. They are not afraid of people and oftentimes are yellow and pretty fat. Overall, this campus is amazing and I believe I made a great choice in coming here.

Noah

"There's nothing to do" "It's so boring in Kirksville" "I was miserable here". These are all things every student will hear heading into Truman or even just reading about the campus online. Kirksville and Truman are the types of places where you make your own fun. If you want to be the greek life fanatic and party on the weekends, you can here. If you want to be the nerdy kid who stays inside and plays video games inside with your friends, you can. If you want to be the gym jock, you can. I have never been to a place so accepting and loving of other people. Like my friend group has the nerd, the jock, and the music maniac. You make your friends here very easily if you try, and Truman days really helps with it. Truman days is basically a meet and greet for all the freshman on your floor and the two Student Advisors for the floor. Although you are treated like a child at some points and the work during the week feels very unneeded and repetitive. This University puts in so much effort to make their students happy and to make sure everybody finds their group of friends. Then, once you find that group of friends there are unlimited amounts of things you can do here. Between grilling out at Thousand Hills Park, to chilling out in the lounge just talking to your floor mates, to gathering up in one room all watching a movie. So do not listen to the pessimism that surrounds Truman and Kirksville, because if you come into this university with the intention to be happy, you will be. Anyway, besides the social aspect. The dorm life here is not bad. The rooms are reasonably sized for two to three people without too much cramping. The food in the dining halls are not the best in the world but once you get used to it, the food is not awful. It is just a matter of getting the right taste. The people in the dorms are mostly respectful and nice. Depending on which dorm you live in you can either have community style bathrooms or suite-style bathrooms, so you at least have the choice. The kitchens in the dorms really don't do much, don't expect to cook more than a frozen pizza. I live in Ryle hall and it is pretty nice. It has AC and a dining hall, along with a convenience store to spend meals on next door. The education here is amazing. The difficulty really depends on the major. The science majors from what I have seen are pretty darn difficult, and it's almost impossible to pull straight As. But, there are obviously easier tracks. Although, Truman does push a very important narrative that choosing a major does not indicate that you will get a job in said major. Also, it is very important to choose a major you enjoy, not one based off of difficulty or money. You are almost guaranteed a good path in life when Truman State University shows up on a resume. The school is well-known in the job field and is known to be challenging as well as known to push the students. The school itself is small so getting lost is hard to do. It is confusing and scary the first few days but getting familiar with the campus is quite easy and enjoyable. It is a pretty campus and very old style with the brick-heavy layout. The winters are devastating. Absolutely devastating. The wind chill could give you frostbite in literal minutes and the school rarely calls off even for dangerous conditions. But when the campus is green it becomes very lively around outside. Overall the campus is what you make it. You can decide to be happy and appreciate what you have, or decide that the cold weather and the Sodexo food is just not enough. But for me personally having the closest friends I have ever had and getting a good education somewhere I feel safe and accepted all around is what is most important to me. I have friends now I never thought I would have, and I am truly happy to say I am at Truman State University.

It's a great school full of tons of caring professors and plenty of activities to engage in. The town is small but it's nice. There's a whole lot of on-campus organizations and jobs to really diversify your experience. I left Truman more than prepared for getting a good job.

Karina

The quality of education and connections made at this university for the tuition cost are unmatched. Courses are rigorous, and it's easy to see all types of students striving to achieve more in life. Truman is also incredibly stressful. In order to keep 100% of initial academic scholarships, the students have to keep a G.P.A. of at least 3.25, which is very difficult for incoming freshman. There is little room for outside entertainment, because Truman is located in the middle of nowhere, so many students resort to drinking as their main source of entertainment aside from school clubs and social organizations. It becomes exceedingly cold and windy in the winter, and when there are layers of ice on every unkept sidewalk, classes are still not called off. The mental health services are continually backed up and understaffed, in the midst of four suicides in the past two years. Funding has also become an issue in recent years, as they are currently operating on a budget on par with the 1990's. However, faculty are always doing their best to provide challenging course work, service opportunities, outside perspectives, and community involvement. They do what they can with what they have. At Truman, everyone is creating more with less. We are the coal under high pressure that forms diamonds, to shine brilliantly and reflect light where we're needed.

I love Truman State University. Kirksville is a very small town, but there are a few things for students to do on weekends, and Truman offers a lot of extracurriculars. It's extremely hard to not be involved with so many options. In addition to Greek Life we have Academic organizations, service organizations, and several interest based clubs, there's something for everyone. The academic aspect can be pretty challenging, but the majority of professors make themselves extremely available. Professors have office hours, and most of them will meet outside of office hours if you ask. It's also easier for professors to get to know students individually because our class sizes aren't very big, which makes asking questions a lot easier. If you're into sports, we have sports teams, and there are also several other people on campus who love sports and love cheering on the Bulldogs. If you're into theatre, we have several shows a semester. If you're into music, we have several music groups from small choirs to orchestras and bands to acapella groups. For me choosing to come to Truman was an amazing decision.

Alyssa

As an incoming freshman, who has had a sibling attend Truman State before, I am very familiar with the campus and social life. I love the three hour drive to come up during the harvest festival and to hang out on the square. I look forward to attending college here because it is a small campus, it provides a family feel for people. There is a variety of clubs and activities for all kinds of people.

Nora

Truman State University is not a bad school, I feel I must make that clear. However, I do not think I would say that it is a great school. The campus is great, if you like small schools. If you don't, then everything feels so close together and it's almost claustrophobic. The academics are pretty good, and almost everyone I talk to here says they're here for a specific program. The number of programs at Truman is impressive, and I feel like the programs are a solid okay. Truman is a good school for people who want to go away to college, but do not want to spend a lot of money and do not have a lot of expectations for their school. Truman is a mediocre school, but a good mediocre school.

Kaitlyn

Whenever I visited, I felt that Truman spoke to me a little bit. My tour guide was sincere, and I really liked the campus. Kirksville is not too big, neither is it to small. There is not much to do here. The wind chill is insane. Living in the dorms, I haven't smelled weed yet. Truman is affordable and academic. I'm happy I chose to go here. The first few weeks were very difficult, but after I took the time to adjust, everything was fine.

Caleb

The community is wonderful. The moment you step on campus, it will feel like home. No matter your major, interests, or experience, there is something here at Truman. There are so many student activities, majors, and just fun events around Kirksville as well. Great school that can compete with any school academically !

Brianna

Big selling point: small classes. Big caveat: you can't get into them. Truman's science department has absolutely gone downhill. There's a reason attendance is down: the coursework is more difficult than it should be for many lower-level classes, it's hard to get into classes in the first place, and while Truman likes to boast that they have amazing professors, the honest truth is that there's a wide variety, just like anywhere else. To be fair, the cost is good. But if you research the mental health of the average Truman student, you’ll find there’s a reason it’s so cheap.

Brandi

Truman has been a solid experience for me. Everyone is bright and we have a high academic focus. The classes are mostly small and personal. Professors strive to be as approachable and helpful as they're able. The small town culture of Kirksville can be offputting if one is used to a city scene, but ultimately it is quaint and refreshing

Madeleine

I really do love Truman State University. The accessibility of academic and social resources is fantastic. Being in a small town with not a lot to do around the city, the school compensates very well. There is something to do on campus every day and especially on the weekends. There is a huge emphasis on academics so for a student who is mainly concerned with class, this is a great school. Go Bulldogs!

Mallory

My overall opinion is that Truman is an academically amazing school. The sports are good depending on which events you attend. There's always things going on throughout campus so there are ways to get involved in everything. The housing on campus isn't the best and the food is good about one day a week. I love going to Truman, even though there are a few downfalls. I can't wait to obtain all the opportunities that Truman has to offer.

Truman State University seems like a nice place to be. The dorms are nice and the discussions I've had were all interesting and got me thinking. The time I spent there during JBA also made me acquainted with the food served there, there is a pretty nice selection with some vegan options for those who like that. Overall Truman is an amazing place that I wholly intend to attend.