New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

When I was looking for the right college for me, I was extremely picky. I knew I wanted to be in a city, but still needed a campus. Not only is Tulane in an amazing city, it has a beautiful campus atmosphere. Tulane has been everything I hoped for in a school. I am able to take classes outside of my major, including dance and art. Through the school's community service requirements, I have found a passion for the arts, entertainment, and festivals, which I once interned for and now get paid to work for. The city is easy to maneuver, when one wants to get off campus and out of the college bubble. It is easy to get along with and interact with the locals as well. Tulane and New Orleans have a southern charm while still having a big city mentality.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

There are many places to do work on campus. Many people choose the library, which has designated quiet floors. Many of the dorms have study rooms or lounges. There is a coffee shop on campus with computers and booths. In addition, the student center has a ton of comfy couches as well as desks and a quiet lounge.

The academics are challenging due to the caliber of students. However, students are still friendly and willing to help other students. There is a sense of competitiveness but not in a hurtful or negative way. Teachers are, generally, eager to help and willing to set aside the time to work with students or just to talk. As an English major and dance minor, I find my classes to be small and often discussion based. I know the names of all my classmates, and personally know my teachers. I feel comfortable approaching my teachers for help or advice with my work. I am not fond of the huge lecture classes and only took them to fulfill my science and math requirements one semester. Now that I am strictly taking classes within my major and minor, I take smaller classes and feel that I am better able to learn in this type of environment. Due to the community service requirement, most people have internships during the academic year as a junior or senior. These help students determine what kind of career they are looking for. These internships can also turn into jobs in the future.

I would say that Tulane has a party stereotype. However, there is definitely a party hard work hard atmosphere. There is so much to do in the city of New Orleans, and the city itself has a party stereotype. Most students are able to experience what New Orleans has to offer and have an fun, while still doing well in school. Sometime, though, it takes a semester for students to find the balance between socializing and school. As long as you eventually find the balance you should do great.

Anne

Its a great size, for starters: it's big enough to be a medium-sized college, but it's also not too big like state schools. People love coming to Tulane because it's a great school in a great city sure and there's Mardi Gras, but there are also a lot of unexpected perks: wearing flip-flops and shorts in November, festivals every week-end within 10-20 mins like the strawberry festival, the Jazz festival or the po-boy festival, amazing music everywhere, really friendly people (really), and so much more. There are lots of opportunities for students to get involved around the city, be it interning for a non-profit to save the Gulf of Mexico, working at a PR firm, or interning at a public health clinic that still deals with the aftermaths of Hurricane Katrina. The city loves Tulane and Tulane loves the city. Because we are a top-tier school in a metropolitan city, we always have important people passing through, and being students, we always get in for free or at a steep discount.

Because New Orleans is in the "Big Easy", the stereotype is that, of course, students at Tulane must drink and party all the time. While we know how to have fun, we also work hard...after all, our unofficial motto is 'Work hard, play hard.' I think that best describes the general undergraduate student body at Tulane. Tulane, like New Orleans is really diverse--we have the Greeks, the athletes, the studious ones, the ones who are involved in everything and we all know the importance of doing well at school (we are students), but afterward, we all like going out into the city to eat, go out, and have fun.

Nina

I honestly can say that choosing Tulane was the best decision I ever made. I believe the size of the student body is perfect. You will always be meeting new people, while almost always seeing someone you know around campus. Tulane's location is also ideal. In my opinion, New Orleans is one of the best cities in the United States. The city has so much to offer and there is always something to do, whether that be a festival, parade, or just visiting parts of the city. I'd also have to say that Mardi Gras is a big plus, however many people overestimate how family-oriented it really is. It's an extremely fun week filled with festivals, despite many people's misconceptions that it is revolved around Bourbon Street.

You may have heard some people refer to Tulane as "Jewlane". Although Tulane has a large Jewish community, it by no means that students who are not Jewish don't fit in. Everyone is extremely tolerant of other religions and actually a majority of Tulane's undergraduates are not Jewish. Tulane has students from all around the United States, with almost every state represented.

Gabriella

Tulane is a wonderful learning environment. The classes are really interesting and the professors actually care about students doing well. Students have access to invaluable resources like the tutoring center and writing center, which helps students stay on board with classes. Professors are accessible and the majority will meet with you outside of class if you ever get confused. New Orleans is an amazing city and students will never be board. The only down side is that Tulane is uptown and students really don't spend a lot of time downtime given potential safety hazards in downtown New Orleans. Tulane offers amazing extra curricular programs and clubs but its the responsibility of the student to get involved and take advantage of all the resources. Students have the opportunity to network with alumni and set up connections that will last once they graduate. The student body is not very diverse but there is a group of people for everyone. I have not seen any cat fights of ill natured girls, but that could just be me. The sky is the limit at Tulane and I can't imagine a better place to spend college. Students understand the balance of party hard and work hard which makes Tulane the perfect combination.

Skye

A small, beautiful campus full of ambitious, smart kids who also know how to chill out.

I’d tell my high school self to be prepared for personal insecurity, and to combat it. Be yourself—and don’t be shy about it. There will be so many new influences and people from every conceivable background suddenly crammed into your mental and emotional life. There will be a huge pressure to conform, but to be different, to be quirky, but fit seamlessly into the group. But never forget that you’re an individual with a past and an identity. Your experiences will mold you and shape you, your opinions may change as you learn new things, but never be ashamed of what you believe or who you are. Your individuality is your greatest strength. Diversity isn’t just different skin colors or economic backgrounds mixing—it involves personality traits and ideas too. Be Diverse. Be You.

The small size keeps classes personal and professors accessible.

Katie

Tulane has a lot of great resources that are often wasted on overprivileged, undervalued students.

Administration seems more intent on attracting students than maintaining the happiness of current ones.

Dear Katie, Graduation isn't the end, it's the beginning. Someone will tell you those words in the next few weeks, but you aren't going to believe them. But here I am, two years later, telling you the same thing. You're so worried right now about leaving everything and everyone you know and starting over in a new place, but you have nothing to fear. You are smart, level-headed, friendly, and you will do just fine. Yes, cherish the remaining time you have with your high school friends, but don't cling to them when you depart. New doors are opening ahead; you're going to miss them if you don't turn your head around and look forwards instead of backwards. You're about to enter the most exciting years of your life this far. Your whole life is ahead of you. Take the lessons you learned from the past eighteen years and become a better person. Take chances. Leave the cave. Dare to disturb the universe. With love and respect, Katie

Camille

My school is very student friendly as there is always help available for difficult homework, and all of the students are friendly and willing to assist you in any way, shape, or form; it's a wonderful feeling to be so welcomed.

I have been exposed to so many new and challenging things, all of which have helped shape me into who I am today. College was a big step for me, as I was born and raised in a town that's 1/3 the size of the Tulane University campus. However, I believe this step was necessary as it exposed me to customs, beliefs, and ethnicities that I had never come into contact with before. College is an invaluable experience, and I believe that choosing the right college to attend is half the battle. It has to mesh well with who you are as a person, and who you hope to become. Tulane has provided me with the support I need to prosper in an environment worlds away from the one I was accustomed to. I immersed myself in challenging classes, but met new people and made lifelong friends in the process. I am looking forward to continuing my educational experience at Tulane, and discovering what other experiences await me.

The most frusterating thing about my school is, in my opinion, the location. New Orleans is such a wonderfully exciting place to live, it's hard to focus on schoolwork when there is so much to see and do in the city!

Indira

A person who is intelligent and wants to be successful in their career. Also, the person attending should like to go out and party. You have to be able to juggle the school load and partying as well. If you are only a party person or only a study type person then you would not fit well here. Also, if you want to be involved with research based study then that will definitely be a great choice for you.

One word that would describe my college experience is growth. In my move from California to Lousiana, I was exposed to a different city and culture, which I have grown to love. At Tulane, I was able to play basketball at the highest level and develop my skills to my personal best. I became C-USA New Comer of the year ,13th in the nation for three point percentage, and a Conference Champion. Also, I became the Vice President of the recycling club at Tulane and helped the growth of the club. We worked on informing the students of the importance of recylcing. Also, I spoke to residents about Katrina and helped revive the city by planting new trees. I enjoyed being a "Big Sister" to a freshman because I helped her get accostumed to a new life. By interning at UNITY, (organization for homeless), I grew into an even more giving person. Now that I am a graduate of Tulane University, I realize the value of my attendance since I am a more intelligent and better human being overall. In looking to pursue my masters, I am thrilled for the new growth of the next chapter in my journey.

I would say that the worst part is the fact that the majority of this school comes from the same social and economic status and if you do not come from that status, it can get hard at times because you cannot truly relate with the problems issues that the rest of the kids see are "problems and issues".

I am not going to be the usual cliché and write about how college has taught me to be more independent, though it has. What I have found to be much more valuable to my life is the way in which attending Tulane has forced me to explore, both my myself and my surroundings, and has constantly encouraged me to push and expand my comfort zone. I have learned that I am capable of being completely independent in everything I do, but perhaps more importantly have also realized that some people are always willing to support you; whether you believe you need it or not. Exploring New Orleans has left me with a powerful thirst to learn about new cultures and an undying desire to travel and discover the cultures of the world. Most importantly college has taught me how to bring balance into my life. That asking for help when I need it actually won't shatter my new found sense of independence; that it is important to discover new cultures but never forget where you came from and how you got to be where you are today. For me, college has been an amazing journey of self-exploration.

Everyone should attend Tulane! Its a fabulous school that has a little bit of something for everyone, the academics are tough but not at all overwhelming. There is a "scene" for everyone, whether you like to go out and party every night or stay in and study. Tulane is also located in one of the most amazing cities in the world. New Orleans is a fabulous city with a rich exciting culture, there is always something going on. It is a truly incredible place to go to school.

The most frustrating thing about attending Tulane is the high tuition. The office of financial aid is also pretty poor as they tend to lose things such as promissary notes, and seem to be generally disorganized. However, Tulane offers wonderful financial aid and usually provide generous scholarships. Unfortunately, since tuition is so high you will still be paying quite a bit of money. I will graduate with a disgusting amount of student loans. I do however feel that my money is being well spent.

Hunter

I was attracted to Tulane because it has a beautiful campus and maintains its appearance meticulously. And of course, The culture of New Orleans really CANNOT be beat, it is so wonderful and different and authentic. Mardi Gras of course is amazing, but so is just an afternoon stroll in the French Quarter--the culture really is everywhere all the time and I think Tulane does a good job at TRYING to incorporate that aspect of the city. That said, I'm not sure the students really reflect the spirit of New Orleans. Many are from wealthy suburbs of big cities and see the culture of New Orleans as an excuse to get EFFED up 6 nights a week. Tulane's administration, I think like most Universities, does have its fair share of red tape. That said, they do make an effort to make administration accessible. The advising department (at least for undeclared majors) is chaotic and not very helpful.

Most students at Tulane fit into 4 of the 5 categories: White, Jewish, Upper-middle class, from a wealthy suburb of NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, LA. That said, Tulane is geographically very diverse and while everyone on campus isn't white/jewish most come from similar socioeconomic backgrounds. However, Tulane is very generous with scholarship money so there are a few kids I imagine who are more in the middle class range. Tulane can often seem very high school-esque. Greek Life sort of separates students into cliques and the size means you know a lot of people but not everyone. There are also some kids (mostly the kids on scholarship) who spend their life studying and are afraid of living in "the scary city of New Orleans" From my experience there isn't a lot of in between.

Tulane is TOTALLY the right fit for some people (see student body) That said, like any school, it's not for everyone and finding your niche can be hard if you want to find really down-to-earth fun people. If you like to party and want a school with a good name, beautiful campus, and awesome location then you should probably check Tulane out.

To an extent this is definitely true. The school is at least 50 percent Jewish and Greek Life is definitely very apparent. Students definitely work hard--but it seems as though they are mostly working hard to get the grade rather than actually caring about what they are studying. That said, there are definitely people who don't fit the stereotype but it's hard to find people between the two extremes of complete fratstar and total bookworm.

For the most part professor know your name. Intro science class (bio, chem, psych etc) are usually 100+ but every other class I have had has been smaller than 40 with some as small as 12. I have had some great experiences with history classes--most of my history professors have been extremely knowledgeable, helpful and available. Intro classes are usually a little bit disappointing, but Tulane's TIDES seminar (freshman req) and the upper-level classes, in my experience, have been for the most part engaging, challenging and thought provoking. The core req's really aren't that demanding. Tulane's workload can be stressful depending on what you are majoring in. I only have experience in the social science and history fields and they require LOTS of reading and you really have to apply yourself. Overall, my academic experience so far has been challenging and I have learned a lot--I've had some great professors and some that were average. I do feel as though I am being prepared for graduate school/a job after I graduate.

That everyone is Jewish, fratty and that we all party 6 nights a week.

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.