New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

Skye

A small, beautiful campus full of ambitious, smart kids who also know how to chill out.

I’d tell my high school self to be prepared for personal insecurity, and to combat it. Be yourself—and don’t be shy about it. There will be so many new influences and people from every conceivable background suddenly crammed into your mental and emotional life. There will be a huge pressure to conform, but to be different, to be quirky, but fit seamlessly into the group. But never forget that you’re an individual with a past and an identity. Your experiences will mold you and shape you, your opinions may change as you learn new things, but never be ashamed of what you believe or who you are. Your individuality is your greatest strength. Diversity isn’t just different skin colors or economic backgrounds mixing—it involves personality traits and ideas too. Be Diverse. Be You.

The small size keeps classes personal and professors accessible.

Katie

Tulane has a lot of great resources that are often wasted on overprivileged, undervalued students.

Administration seems more intent on attracting students than maintaining the happiness of current ones.

Dear Katie, Graduation isn't the end, it's the beginning. Someone will tell you those words in the next few weeks, but you aren't going to believe them. But here I am, two years later, telling you the same thing. You're so worried right now about leaving everything and everyone you know and starting over in a new place, but you have nothing to fear. You are smart, level-headed, friendly, and you will do just fine. Yes, cherish the remaining time you have with your high school friends, but don't cling to them when you depart. New doors are opening ahead; you're going to miss them if you don't turn your head around and look forwards instead of backwards. You're about to enter the most exciting years of your life this far. Your whole life is ahead of you. Take the lessons you learned from the past eighteen years and become a better person. Take chances. Leave the cave. Dare to disturb the universe. With love and respect, Katie

Camille

My school is very student friendly as there is always help available for difficult homework, and all of the students are friendly and willing to assist you in any way, shape, or form; it's a wonderful feeling to be so welcomed.

I have been exposed to so many new and challenging things, all of which have helped shape me into who I am today. College was a big step for me, as I was born and raised in a town that's 1/3 the size of the Tulane University campus. However, I believe this step was necessary as it exposed me to customs, beliefs, and ethnicities that I had never come into contact with before. College is an invaluable experience, and I believe that choosing the right college to attend is half the battle. It has to mesh well with who you are as a person, and who you hope to become. Tulane has provided me with the support I need to prosper in an environment worlds away from the one I was accustomed to. I immersed myself in challenging classes, but met new people and made lifelong friends in the process. I am looking forward to continuing my educational experience at Tulane, and discovering what other experiences await me.

The most frusterating thing about my school is, in my opinion, the location. New Orleans is such a wonderfully exciting place to live, it's hard to focus on schoolwork when there is so much to see and do in the city!

Indira

A person who is intelligent and wants to be successful in their career. Also, the person attending should like to go out and party. You have to be able to juggle the school load and partying as well. If you are only a party person or only a study type person then you would not fit well here. Also, if you want to be involved with research based study then that will definitely be a great choice for you.

One word that would describe my college experience is growth. In my move from California to Lousiana, I was exposed to a different city and culture, which I have grown to love. At Tulane, I was able to play basketball at the highest level and develop my skills to my personal best. I became C-USA New Comer of the year ,13th in the nation for three point percentage, and a Conference Champion. Also, I became the Vice President of the recycling club at Tulane and helped the growth of the club. We worked on informing the students of the importance of recylcing. Also, I spoke to residents about Katrina and helped revive the city by planting new trees. I enjoyed being a "Big Sister" to a freshman because I helped her get accostumed to a new life. By interning at UNITY, (organization for homeless), I grew into an even more giving person. Now that I am a graduate of Tulane University, I realize the value of my attendance since I am a more intelligent and better human being overall. In looking to pursue my masters, I am thrilled for the new growth of the next chapter in my journey.

I would say that the worst part is the fact that the majority of this school comes from the same social and economic status and if you do not come from that status, it can get hard at times because you cannot truly relate with the problems issues that the rest of the kids see are "problems and issues".

I am not going to be the usual cliché and write about how college has taught me to be more independent, though it has. What I have found to be much more valuable to my life is the way in which attending Tulane has forced me to explore, both my myself and my surroundings, and has constantly encouraged me to push and expand my comfort zone. I have learned that I am capable of being completely independent in everything I do, but perhaps more importantly have also realized that some people are always willing to support you; whether you believe you need it or not. Exploring New Orleans has left me with a powerful thirst to learn about new cultures and an undying desire to travel and discover the cultures of the world. Most importantly college has taught me how to bring balance into my life. That asking for help when I need it actually won't shatter my new found sense of independence; that it is important to discover new cultures but never forget where you came from and how you got to be where you are today. For me, college has been an amazing journey of self-exploration.

Everyone should attend Tulane! Its a fabulous school that has a little bit of something for everyone, the academics are tough but not at all overwhelming. There is a "scene" for everyone, whether you like to go out and party every night or stay in and study. Tulane is also located in one of the most amazing cities in the world. New Orleans is a fabulous city with a rich exciting culture, there is always something going on. It is a truly incredible place to go to school.

The most frustrating thing about attending Tulane is the high tuition. The office of financial aid is also pretty poor as they tend to lose things such as promissary notes, and seem to be generally disorganized. However, Tulane offers wonderful financial aid and usually provide generous scholarships. Unfortunately, since tuition is so high you will still be paying quite a bit of money. I will graduate with a disgusting amount of student loans. I do however feel that my money is being well spent.

Hunter

I was attracted to Tulane because it has a beautiful campus and maintains its appearance meticulously. And of course, The culture of New Orleans really CANNOT be beat, it is so wonderful and different and authentic. Mardi Gras of course is amazing, but so is just an afternoon stroll in the French Quarter--the culture really is everywhere all the time and I think Tulane does a good job at TRYING to incorporate that aspect of the city. That said, I'm not sure the students really reflect the spirit of New Orleans. Many are from wealthy suburbs of big cities and see the culture of New Orleans as an excuse to get EFFED up 6 nights a week. Tulane's administration, I think like most Universities, does have its fair share of red tape. That said, they do make an effort to make administration accessible. The advising department (at least for undeclared majors) is chaotic and not very helpful.

Most students at Tulane fit into 4 of the 5 categories: White, Jewish, Upper-middle class, from a wealthy suburb of NYC, DC, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta, LA. That said, Tulane is geographically very diverse and while everyone on campus isn't white/jewish most come from similar socioeconomic backgrounds. However, Tulane is very generous with scholarship money so there are a few kids I imagine who are more in the middle class range. Tulane can often seem very high school-esque. Greek Life sort of separates students into cliques and the size means you know a lot of people but not everyone. There are also some kids (mostly the kids on scholarship) who spend their life studying and are afraid of living in "the scary city of New Orleans" From my experience there isn't a lot of in between.

Tulane is TOTALLY the right fit for some people (see student body) That said, like any school, it's not for everyone and finding your niche can be hard if you want to find really down-to-earth fun people. If you like to party and want a school with a good name, beautiful campus, and awesome location then you should probably check Tulane out.

To an extent this is definitely true. The school is at least 50 percent Jewish and Greek Life is definitely very apparent. Students definitely work hard--but it seems as though they are mostly working hard to get the grade rather than actually caring about what they are studying. That said, there are definitely people who don't fit the stereotype but it's hard to find people between the two extremes of complete fratstar and total bookworm.

For the most part professor know your name. Intro science class (bio, chem, psych etc) are usually 100+ but every other class I have had has been smaller than 40 with some as small as 12. I have had some great experiences with history classes--most of my history professors have been extremely knowledgeable, helpful and available. Intro classes are usually a little bit disappointing, but Tulane's TIDES seminar (freshman req) and the upper-level classes, in my experience, have been for the most part engaging, challenging and thought provoking. The core req's really aren't that demanding. Tulane's workload can be stressful depending on what you are majoring in. I only have experience in the social science and history fields and they require LOTS of reading and you really have to apply yourself. Overall, my academic experience so far has been challenging and I have learned a lot--I've had some great professors and some that were average. I do feel as though I am being prepared for graduate school/a job after I graduate.

That everyone is Jewish, fratty and that we all party 6 nights a week.

Michelle

Truth be told, my only main attraction to Tulane while applying to college was the free application. When it ended up being my only option financially, I was less than thrilled. Two years in, I now laugh at how much I was overlooking about my college experience. Yes, Tulane has aspects that I wish I could change-- it is incredibly racially homogenous, and the social life becomes stifling as a result. I watch people, however, from all over the country come and fall head over heels in love with New Orleans, and it changes everything. New Orleans is a child that we all care for, and the people, the history, the suffering and inequality still so evident, the uncertainty of the future-- all of these factors give students a unique role in the fate of a city that allows us to grow up in profound ways. Mardi Gras aside, the city has changed my life--- and I could not be more indebted to it. Every time I step foot into the city I am learning justice, politics, grief, celebration, and most of all, how to enjoy every step of life in ways that could never be learned through books.

New Orleans is the best possible environment for me to attend college, tons of learning opportunities, the spirit that comes from being in the city that is emphasized by TUlane is great

Michelle

I would say my classmates are varied because not a single one is alike and we all come from many diverse backgrounds which makes for a very multicultural campus.

The city of new orleans has a wonderful culture full of wonder and great people. The school itself has major roots in the community and often participates in fundraisers or community service programs. It's a wonderful place full of rich history and has a deep and meaningful story behind its legacy.

I've learned how to manage my time most certainly but I've also learned what it's like to really get a valuable edcuation. I've met many different people and I meet more every day. Everyone here has their own opinion and I truly enjoy the ability to share my own. I feel more empowered and so very lucky to get this experience.

The best thing about Tulane is definitley being in New Orleans and the nightlife associated with that. There is always something going on! One thing I would change is the quality of the food in the dining hall. Tulane is just the right size: big enough that you are always meeting new people but small enough that you recieve a personal education and can always find people you know when you go out. A lot of people have heard of Tulane and associate it with New Orleans. People know its a good school but that students party a lot. On campus I spend a lot of time in the common room of my dorm, in the dining hall and on the various quads around campus (sunbathing happens pretty much year round). Tulane is in uptown and there are a lot of bars and restaurants in the area that cater to college students but we are in a city so the idea of a town that revolves around the University is not really there. New Orleans has an amazing culture to explore. There is a lot of school pride but it is shown differently. Tulanians are proud to go to Tulane but we don't really show our pride through our sports teams (they aren't that great). Mardi Gras is an amazing experience that one doesn't find at most schools: it is a week of parades, beads, partying from the morning into the night in ridiculous outfits. I will always remember the night the Saints won the superbowl, the celebration was incredible and everyone was so exicited it was a once in a lifetime opportunity!

There is a good mix of students at Tulane but it is predominately white upper/middle class. There are people from all sorts of political backgrounds. If you are not a social person or are not into partying it might be harder to find a niche...not that one does not exist you just might be annoyed by a lot of the students. Students where a range of clothes to class from gym shorts/t-shirts to cute dresses with flats.

Tulane students definitely party and drink a lot, but wew also work hard academically. While there are a lot of Jewish people at Tulane...that's not every body. Tulane gives out a lot of scholarships so not everyone is rich.

Classes are generally small, my biggest class was around 50 but most were around 20-25. The majority of the professors take the time to know their students by name and are readily accessible for help if needed. My favorite class was International Relations but the most unique was glass blowing. My least favorite was intro to microeconomics. Students study on a regular basis but there is definitely an increase when finals roll around.

That we party/drink a lot. That there are a lot of rich Jewish people.

The athletic events are semi-popular but not everyone goes. Tulane is more of a casual hook up then serious relationship school, but a good amount are in relationships. I met my closest friends on my floor freshman year as well as out at night and in class. At 2am on a Tuesday I am most likely drinking at the Boot for 50 cent night! One big tradition is Crawfest: free crawfish boil and music all day. People generally party/go out 4 times a week: tuesdays,thursdays, fridays and saturdays are the most popular. Frats/sororities are a part of the social and can be a lot of fun but they are not necessary to having a full social life. If you don't drink there is a lot of great music in New Orleans and a lot of really yummy places to eat. Off campus I go to bars and restaurants withing walking distance, go to Audobon Park which is across the street, Magazine street which has a bunch of cute shops and down to the quarter for beignets and hand grenades.

Kathleen

Following the devastation of hurricane Katrina, Tulane University overhauled and refurbished its main priorities, transforming it into a university focused on producing well-educated individuals not only exposed to information and vigorous courses, but also the community and those in need. Tulane forces its students out into the community and inspires every individual to give back through the service learning requirements established by the university, producing involved, driven individuals with compassion for others and the desire to go beyond the expected to achieve their goal(s).

Tulane University has provided me not only with the resources for a better education, but has exposed me to a completely new world that has in turn changed me as an individual. Located in New Orleans, the university strives to reveal the city?s unique and awe-inspiring culture to its students, bringing local staples to campus and encouraging students to venture through the historically rich streets of the city. Tulane further pushes its students to get involved and develop a desire to aid those in need and give back to the community through 20-hour and 40-hour service learning requirements necessary to graduate. Tulane has provided me with every outlet necessary to get in touch with my inner New Orleanean, giving me an entirely new sense of community and place in society. The esteemed professors have not only managed to instill knowledge in me, but have inspired me to take my life in a significantly new direction, a direction that focuses on the needs of others, the environment, and the planet as a whole. This institution has been the catalyst in the unearthing of me as an individual and my appetite to better myself and society.

Although I was aware of the unique culture of New Orleans and the catastrophic impact of Katrina, I was barely prepared for the culture shock upon my arrival and the astonishing amount of dismantled and ravaged communities that remain years post-Katrina. New Orleaneans have a greater sense of community and culture than any population I?ve encountered, preserving their unique culture, cuisine, and music that is nonexistent in any other place. The devastation from Katrina is nauseating as homes remain fractured with a lack of aid. These unexpected factors, both positive and negative greatly impacted me for the better.

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.