New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

As a high school senior, I was constantly told that I could be anything that I wanted to be. Although I was fortunate that I had supportive friends and family who pushed me to set high goals, transitioning to college helped me to see the bigger picture. Living by myself two thousand miles away from home has caused me to define my own priorities and values. What I wish I could have known as a high school senior is that it?s ok to not know everything. You do not have to have your entire life as a doctor or lawyer planned out prior to arriving at your dorm. There is plenty of time to figure it out. As a senior, the most important thing to do is to find a decent college where you will fit in and find supportive friends. From there, the experiences you have will help you work out and determine your future. The classes I have taken, people I?ve met, and real life experiences I have had living on my own have helped me to determine my future in a way impossible to foresee while still in high school.

Kari

Tulane has all of the culture of New Orleans- the food, music, festivals, history- but also world class academics that are as prestigous as Ivy League schools.

I would not have depended upon my senior counselor so much. Because I did I applied to only one school, luckily it was my first choice and everything worked out. But I would have liked more options. I also would definitely take scholarship searching far more seriously; I'm finding now that there are a lot of scholarships for students in highschool, but it's harder to find scholarships now that I have already started college. Another really big thing I wish I had done was internship the summer before college in a field related to something I like. For instance, last semester was my first college semester and I began taking courses for an architecture major. I really like architecture but I wish I had a summer job or something like that so that I could have found out earlier that what I really like is historical architecture, which is definitely not what architects today are doing! However, I think it is also important to remember that all of the courses a student takes are never wasted because they don't fulfill major or minor requirements; they are only wasted if you don't get something out of them.

The location is perfect. Even New Orleans is know for its crime, Tulane protects its students. Also love the culture; it really is not like any other university because of its location. It's in a great part of the city, Uptown, but only a streetcar ride to the Arts District or the French Quarter. Th e academics are also fantastic. I know that the quality of my education here means a lot, especially after I graduate.

Catherine

Tulane is unique because the students care about one another, and they all come from such different environments. The college does not center around the greeks, which is really amazing considering the fact that independents can feel just as spirited as the frats. Tulane is so diverse and such an amazing experience!

If I could give myself advice, I would tell myself to calm down and meet as many people in my dorm floor and go out and eat when they invite me because they want to get to know me and be my friend. My freshman year was amazing because I finally broke out of my shell and talked to a lot of interesting people that changed my life. I would love to have known that going out is not stressful at all if you do not drink. There is no pressure whatsoever to get wasted (which I still love to this day). This information would have allowed me to get to know a lot more of the diverse and interesting people that Tulane accepted.

The worst things about the school are the football team, the eating selection, housing, and financial aid. The football team is just plain awful. The eating is very limited and the cafeteria is hell, horrible workers. Housing is not run properly and the housing choices are not good at all, I believe because of the workers that are hired to do the job. Financial aid does not care as much as they should about the students that come in seeking their help. It is frustrating to come in stressed out about money and not get help.

Cain

Well-to-do, conformist, fraternity/sorority students with few or no original ideas, no original tastes in clothes, who are always lost in their own heads, listening to their iPods, never making eye-contact with or greeting people, and oblivious to their surroundings.

I would investigate colleges that specialize in what I am actually interested in studying, not in one that has a big name.

Students are non-threatening. I come from a violent high-school and transferred from a violent community college, so it is a relief not to have my guard up on campus.

We're all on the same page and we help each other get through that page and turn to the next one.

The best thing about my school are the amazing friends I've made since coming here. This school has drawn so many amazing people from all over the country to attend that it has to be pretty remarkable, don't you think?

College life is the biggest and most beneficial transition of your life, trust me, I know. High school was merely mediocre at best, but college blows that experience out of the water Be aware that the bathroom is now down the hall and the water pressure is awful, so showers take forever and it's almost impossible to shave. Another thing I've found is that the key to happiness is friendship and everyone wants to meet new people so just say a friendly hi and you've got a new friend. Quite honestly, you'll meet some of your best friends this semester. So, when you're bored, go knock on a neighbor's door because that's the best part of living in a hall full of freshman; everyone wants to hang out. The workload is initially about the same as it was in highschool, but you need to get help in chemistry early because general chemistry is one class where when you think you understand it, you probably don't. Visit your teachers before the tests so they know you're trying and usually they're very understanding. And lastly, have fun! It's college, so enjoy!

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. All kinds of mental and emotional issues come up in this stage of life. You will have trouble but it can be dealt with if you will seek help as soon as you start to flounder.

The best thing about Tulane is that the school is in New Orleans. The city has a unique culture that offers a better education than a classroom can.

Antisemitic people should avoid the 33% Jewish student body. Also, those who hate warm weather will be miserable nine months out of the year.

Casey

Don't bring too much crap to school and be prepared to try new things. There's no point in being shy or pretending to be someone you're not, eventually the real you will come through and you'll find where you belong. Also, don't get a random roommate!

A very conservative or shy person. This is a very open-minded school and people tend to be willing to try new things. Don't come here if you life being in the crowd.

There is a broad range of incomes at Tulane, and some people can be kind of obnoxious about that. Most activities are predominantly alcohol-based, but still fun. There is a lot of Greek life which can be kind of exclusive. Most of all there's a big discrepency in funding. Liberal arts kids are kind of left out.

Allison

Location! New Orleans is beautiful and a ton of fun

Location! New Orleans is beautiful and a ton of fun

Super flamboyant gay guys....... the general student body isn't homophobic but there are a lot of asshole frat guys.

Don't stress, because everything will work out. You will be sleep deprived for the first few months, accept it. Be friendly, outgoing, and get to know as many people as possible. The first few weeks of school will be crazy but things will mellow out. Study but have fun!

Catherine

My classmates are rich, sometimes rude, sometimes nice, northern kids who have no sense of what it's like to work for money and save for things.

Tulane focuses on service in the community while still remaining amazing academically. I love that I can mesh those together because I enjoy them both.

Make sure you take all things into consideration, housing, academics, social activity, environment, fellow students, and cost are all a major component in college. If you aren't happy with one of those things, it could ruin your year. Once you're there be sure to be social! Get out there and talk to people, all of the freshmen want to make friends but you have to take the initiative. Also, academics are important. Study HARD for your first tests otherwise it will be a very ugly wake up call and it's hard to dig your way out if you start off really poorly.

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.