New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

What's unique about this school is the location. New Orleans is considered by most as the most unique city in America, and in my opinion, it is. There are plenty of things to do off campus. All kinds of music artists play down here, from rock, hip-hop, techno, and even reggae, so it is plenty of fun to see some shows. There is also a lot of history in New Orleans, and it's fun to walk around and explore.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior, I would most likely say, "Don't always take it easy in the Big Easy." Even though it is college, there isn't a lot of stress, because it is laid-back in Tulane. The only major stress-periods come from the very beginning of the year, when we adjust to college life, and during major exams. Because of this, I didn't spend a lot of time studying, when there was plenty of time. Although I did use up a lot of my time, hanging out with friends, working out, etc., I still clearly had a lot of time studying. It's not that I did bad on any tests, but I could've done better if I updated and reviewed my knowledge daily. Other than that, I would say, "Have a good time, learn a lot, and make a lot of friends." Open up to everyone, make conversations with strangers, and in general, be friendly, because this is a very friendly and personal campus. One last small thing I would also say is: Don't waste a lot of money on alcohol.

In reality, there isn't one "type" of person who could attend this school. This school is pretty diverse (not racially, but socially). There are all kinds of people, and everyone is easy-going with each other. Everyone attending Tulane is smart, or at least at the top percentiles of their high school class, so there really aren't any "nerds" - as everyone here could be one. Just about everyone likes to have a good time, any day, and night, of the week.

Kayci

Tulane University can be summed up in one word: dynamic.

Tulane University can be summed up in one word: dynamic.

Tulane's most unique characteristic is its location: New Orleans. Tulane and New Orleans are now and have always been impossibly intertwined. The spirit of the city is embodied by the students, faculty, events, and mission of this university. The biggest draw is that Tulane is a main contributor to the renaissance of one of the world's greatest cities. TU is majorly involved in every step of the rebuilding process. No other university could offer me such a rewarding undergraduate experience, both inside the classroom and out.

If I were capable of going back in time to my senior year, there are a number of things I would tell myself. For instance, I would encourage myself to go to class - bonus points awarded for getting there on time, prepared, and not in pajamas. I blew off so much of my senior year workload in favor of celebrating my last year of high school, and I really regret not paying enough attention now. Another important bit of advice I'd hand over would be to take the ACT early and often instead of waiting until four months before graduation. I would also encourage myself to study for it - a 31 sounds great, but in reality, it hasn't afforded me as many scholarship opportunities as I would have liked. A 33 in conjuction with a well-maintained GPA would have been my golden ticket. Finally, I would tell myself to set my college sights high and keep them in mind during my senior year. Having prestigious university admission as a goal would have been a key motivating factor my senior year, and it would have prevented me having to wait until spring (the "off-season") to be admitted.

Tulane I think is best known for its survival of Hurrican Katrina. In the words of the movie Aladain, it was a diamond in the rough. Many people though that New Orleans and Tulane would never be able to recover, but Tulane set a shining example for the city by reopening the next semester and becoming stronger than ever before. Out of tragedy, Tulane found ways to make positive changes, not only on campus but also in the whole City of New Orleans. Tulane's community efforts have been very admirable.

The number one thing I would tell myself would be to relax. I was so high strung about the college selection process. It wasn't that I was afraid I wouldn't get in (I was accepted to my first school in September I believe), it was just that I had my mind set on one idea. I thought I had my life all planned out. And yet despite all my confidence in myself, I had doubt below the surface. I applied to nine schools, which in retrospect was a waste of time and money. Three of the schools I applied to didn't send responses until late March or early April, so I agonized over what would happen for months. In the end, the decision came down not to which school was most prestigious, but which one offered me the best deal for my family and my future, and I chose accordingly. I am so happy with my decision. It has been one of the best choices I ever made. Ironically, the school I go to I had applied to on impulse. i just wish that senior-me had taken more time to relax and appreciate life.

I wish I had known how cold 60 degrees could feel. Being from the Chicago area I'm used to the freezing cold of winter. I left almost all my warm clothes at home thinking I wouldn't need them at all. But then I adapted to the climate, and so up until I went home for Thanksgiving I was walking around shivering, even though on the standards of back home it was barely cold at all.

As a high school senior, I was constantly told that I could be anything that I wanted to be. Although I was fortunate that I had supportive friends and family who pushed me to set high goals, transitioning to college helped me to see the bigger picture. Living by myself two thousand miles away from home has caused me to define my own priorities and values. What I wish I could have known as a high school senior is that it?s ok to not know everything. You do not have to have your entire life as a doctor or lawyer planned out prior to arriving at your dorm. There is plenty of time to figure it out. As a senior, the most important thing to do is to find a decent college where you will fit in and find supportive friends. From there, the experiences you have will help you work out and determine your future. The classes I have taken, people I?ve met, and real life experiences I have had living on my own have helped me to determine my future in a way impossible to foresee while still in high school.

Kari

Tulane has all of the culture of New Orleans- the food, music, festivals, history- but also world class academics that are as prestigous as Ivy League schools.

The location is perfect. Even New Orleans is know for its crime, Tulane protects its students. Also love the culture; it really is not like any other university because of its location. It's in a great part of the city, Uptown, but only a streetcar ride to the Arts District or the French Quarter. Th e academics are also fantastic. I know that the quality of my education here means a lot, especially after I graduate.

I would not have depended upon my senior counselor so much. Because I did I applied to only one school, luckily it was my first choice and everything worked out. But I would have liked more options. I also would definitely take scholarship searching far more seriously; I'm finding now that there are a lot of scholarships for students in highschool, but it's harder to find scholarships now that I have already started college. Another really big thing I wish I had done was internship the summer before college in a field related to something I like. For instance, last semester was my first college semester and I began taking courses for an architecture major. I really like architecture but I wish I had a summer job or something like that so that I could have found out earlier that what I really like is historical architecture, which is definitely not what architects today are doing! However, I think it is also important to remember that all of the courses a student takes are never wasted because they don't fulfill major or minor requirements; they are only wasted if you don't get something out of them.

Catherine

Tulane is unique because the students care about one another, and they all come from such different environments. The college does not center around the greeks, which is really amazing considering the fact that independents can feel just as spirited as the frats. Tulane is so diverse and such an amazing experience!

If I could give myself advice, I would tell myself to calm down and meet as many people in my dorm floor and go out and eat when they invite me because they want to get to know me and be my friend. My freshman year was amazing because I finally broke out of my shell and talked to a lot of interesting people that changed my life. I would love to have known that going out is not stressful at all if you do not drink. There is no pressure whatsoever to get wasted (which I still love to this day). This information would have allowed me to get to know a lot more of the diverse and interesting people that Tulane accepted.

The worst things about the school are the football team, the eating selection, housing, and financial aid. The football team is just plain awful. The eating is very limited and the cafeteria is hell, horrible workers. Housing is not run properly and the housing choices are not good at all, I believe because of the workers that are hired to do the job. Financial aid does not care as much as they should about the students that come in seeking their help. It is frustrating to come in stressed out about money and not get help.

Cain

Well-to-do, conformist, fraternity/sorority students with few or no original ideas, no original tastes in clothes, who are always lost in their own heads, listening to their iPods, never making eye-contact with or greeting people, and oblivious to their surroundings.

Students are non-threatening. I come from a violent high-school and transferred from a violent community college, so it is a relief not to have my guard up on campus.

I would investigate colleges that specialize in what I am actually interested in studying, not in one that has a big name.

We're all on the same page and we help each other get through that page and turn to the next one.

The best thing about my school are the amazing friends I've made since coming here. This school has drawn so many amazing people from all over the country to attend that it has to be pretty remarkable, don't you think?

College life is the biggest and most beneficial transition of your life, trust me, I know. High school was merely mediocre at best, but college blows that experience out of the water Be aware that the bathroom is now down the hall and the water pressure is awful, so showers take forever and it's almost impossible to shave. Another thing I've found is that the key to happiness is friendship and everyone wants to meet new people so just say a friendly hi and you've got a new friend. Quite honestly, you'll meet some of your best friends this semester. So, when you're bored, go knock on a neighbor's door because that's the best part of living in a hall full of freshman; everyone wants to hang out. The workload is initially about the same as it was in highschool, but you need to get help in chemistry early because general chemistry is one class where when you think you understand it, you probably don't. Visit your teachers before the tests so they know you're trying and usually they're very understanding. And lastly, have fun! It's college, so enjoy!

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. All kinds of mental and emotional issues come up in this stage of life. You will have trouble but it can be dealt with if you will seek help as soon as you start to flounder.

The best thing about Tulane is that the school is in New Orleans. The city has a unique culture that offers a better education than a classroom can.

Antisemitic people should avoid the 33% Jewish student body. Also, those who hate warm weather will be miserable nine months out of the year.

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.