New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

Sam

Yes and no. Yes, a large portion of the student body is well off (financially), and a large portion uses cocaine and other expensive drugs. But, no, they are not the "typical" student. With regards to drinking alcohol, yes, a very large portion of the student body drinks, but there are also groups that don't drink. The drinking/drug-using/spending daddy's money portion of the student body is just the loudest and most noticed---there is so much more than that at Tulane.

The basic stereotype is a rich, white guy or girl who has more than enough expendable income. Often this stereotype bleeds into using cocaine and other expensive drugs. Also, a stereotype of a Tulane student is that he/she drinks a lot of alcohol.

Alex

The best thing about Tulane is the city. It is a great cultural and historical resource, plus it is a lot of fun. The size of the school is great; you can meet new people all the time, but there will always be some way to relate that person back to another person that you already know. New Orleans is the same way; it is a big city, but the neighborhoods give it a smaller more personal feel. The Tulane administration seems evasive. They talk a lot about trying to do things the way the students want them done, but they either do not ask them about major decisions, or pick a small group that does not represent the entire school. There is a lot of school pride, but it is usually mixed with some of the stereotypes above. People do not really get that involved with school politics, but there is a lot of involvement in activities and community service. I think that is a major positive trait, the community service opportunities available.

There is some diversity at Tulane, but there is a huge black/white divide. I would say that other races mix more, maybe because there are not many of the other groups, so they can't segregate themselves. Socio-economic divides are also present, because there is a small percentage of extremely wealthy kids at Tulane, but there are many middle-class students that recieve merit-based scholarships making this not a huge issue. The only time I might say it would be different for the lower-middle class kids is in the part-time job department. Many students do not work while in school, or if they do they work a few hours on-campus.

I believe that there is a group of people that fit this description, but there are many who do not. This negative stereotype is easily identified, therefor people use this one group to affirm these stereotypes, but the majority of Tulane students do not fit this description

Academics at Tulane a great. Within the major, Professors definitely try to get to know the students. At the lower levels it may not seem that way, because who knows if the freshmen will continue on in that field, and the classes are bigger in the lower levels. Students here really balance the studying with the play. We will go out any night of the week (maybe Monday and Sunday are slow nights), but we still manage to handle all of our school work. It is a matter of finishing what we need to do before 10 or 11 when we go out. Professors are given money to have activities outside of class, and this happens all the time. This is a great way for the students and the professors to get to know eachother better.

Most people see Tulane students as rich, materialistic, and self-absorbed.

Brian

The best thing about Tulane is the school we're in. No other school in the country can offer the culture and environment that New Orleans has. It's truly an amazing environment to go to school in. I'd change and hope to improve the administration's relationship with organizations, specifically the Greeks community. The school isn't too big or too small, but it's great when you walk down the street or look around class, and you can know everyone or no one, it's entirely up to you.

Not particularly. There are a lot of interesting people that don't need to go out and get wasted nightly that are perfectly fine to hang out with.

The professors seem to care about their students. They don't necessarily go out of their way to ensure that students learn and excel, but they are very knowledgeable and there is a great deal of accountability that they put on the students.

Social life is great...if you want it to be. There's Jazz Fest, Voodoo Fest, Crawfest, the list can go on and on. Oh, and Mardi Gras. That's a ton of fun that you have to experience to understand. Local bars are extremely accommodating to the college students' pocketbook, and as a Greek, there is always something to do, somewhere to go, and a group of friends to be with.

Snobby, drunks, inconsiderate people.

Meaghan

The best thing about tulane - its location. i love that its a tight campus within a city full of culture and fun. The size is just right. I spend most of my time in the architecture building. Definitely NOT a college town. Biggest recent controversy- JUICYCAMPUS. not that much school pride because our athletic teams aren't very good.

The campus is mostly white, but there is some diversity. The stereotypes are like any other campus, but the dominant groups are fraternity guys and sorority girls, athletes, smart kids, and alternative kids.

All my professors know my name. My least favorite class was intro to psych. students study a lot on campus. but they also party hard. class participation is common. My major is architecture. The Tulane school of architecture is a very tight community, mostly everyone knows each other by name. The professors are very committed to being available and helping when needed.

greek life and Undergraduate student government are some of the most popular groups on campus. Sometimes students leave their dorm rooms unlocked. Athletic events are not very popular, neither is theater. But the guest speakers are always very popular. The dating scene at Tulane is not really dating. For the most part, people just hook up with each other and dont really have lasting relationships. If i am away at 2am on tuesday i am probablly at 50 cent night at the bar right next to campus...50 cent drinks... Last weekend i went to a crawfish boil on the levee.

Sandy

Tulane's pretty small. There are lot of recognizable faces.

Tulane's pretty small. There are lot of recognizable faces.

There are many cultural groups here. They have many events where they try to promote the different cultures. The sorority girls get dressed up sometimes, but for the most part, students dress pretty casually going to class -- jeans and tshirts.

People here are very studious. It's kind of intimidating sometimes how hard people try.

Everyone is Jewish and does drugs.

Dale

The best thing about Tulane would have to be the location. The campus is situated in uptown New Orleans so it is safer than all other parts of the city while still being connected to the culture. The culture in New Orleans is exceptional and one can find various areas of interest throughout the city. In my opinion, the school is the perfect size. It isn't too small that you feel like you're in high school and you can meet new people everyday, yet it isn't too big where you feel lost in the crowd. When I tell people I go to Tulane they ask if I will drown eventually from the next hurricane, they are impressed, or they have never really heard of the school. I spend most of my time in various areas of the campus, but mainly the student center or Bruff, our cafeteria. Tulane is a college town. With Loyola right next door, the two college campuses interact a lot and much of the surrounding area is overrun with college students, with many upperclassmen living off campus. There is some school pride, but I think it would be more so if our football team were any good, or any of the sports teams for that matter. The most frequent student complaints would have to be about the cafeteria food and the cleanliness of the dorms.

There are several diversity groups on campus, such as Hillel or Christian organizations but I have not had any experience with them, but I do know they are offered. Students wear a wide variety of clothing to class. The majority of the student body is very relaxed and some wear what they wore to bed or work out clothes to work out later or they have just come from the gym. Yes, different types of students interact. The school is pretty diverse so there really is no way to get around interacting. Most Tulane students are from the north,surprisingly. A wide range of financial backgrounds exist, but many come from wealthy families. Students are politically aware and active. We just had Barack Obama speak on campus and many students showed up, so much so that some couldn't make it into the auditorium. We have a Democratic and Republican group on campus and both have a many students as members but the student body would probably be predominantly left or center. No, students don't usually talk about how much they'll earn one day, at least in my experience.

Although many students at Tulane come from wealthy families, many students I know have a lot of scholarship money to pay for tuition or are just not snobs. But, of course, just like any where in the country, there will be people of all types. Overall, the students here are quite diverse in personality and background.

Depending on the class, some professors know your name. But, of course if you are in a lecture style class it is impossible that the teacher will ever know your name unless you go to their office hours or talk to them after class. My favorite class has been Spanish because the class size is smaller in the language classes and the professors I've had have been fun, engaging, and very helpful. My least favorite class has been Philosophy Symbolic Logic. The math department is not very good here. The amount that students study really varies upon the student, I know some students who study for what seems like their life and others who I've never really seen study. Yes, class participation is common, many students ask questions and respond actively. Not many students, that I know of, hold intellectual conversations outside of class but they are capable of it and if one wanted to they could hold a conversation with almost anyone. The most unique class I've taken was a freshman course on Dadaism and Surrealism. The teacher was fun and the information I learned was very unique and interesting. We even had class outside one day. The education at Tulane is both geard toward getting a job and learning for its own sake. By having core requirements, students are forced to take certain classes which are geared towards learning for the sake of learning. On the other hand, classes that students take for their majors are geared toward their success in their perspective careers. Depending on the class, sometimes we spend time with professors outside of class.

Some stereotypes that I have heard about Tulane students are that they are rich and snobby.

The most popular groups/organizations on campus would be Greek life. Students in dorms usually don't leave their doors open for risk of people stealing valuables. Athletic events are not very popular since the teams are not that good. Guest speakers are usually very popular, but of course depending on who the speak is. Theater is somewhat popular, especially if a friend is in the play. The dating scene is a bit lacking because many students don't want to date, most would rather party. But, there are a good amount of students that are dating so if you wanted a relationship you could most likely find one. My closest friends are my hall mates. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am most likely either studying or partying, very different extremes. People party as much as they desire. You can find something to do or a reason to go out every night of the week and weekend if you wanted to. Fraternities and sororities are somewhat important but not everyone joins so it does not overtake the social scene or university life. Last weekend I went out with my friends to local bars. On a Saturday night, if you didn't want to drink, you could stay in with friends and watch a movie or go explore downtown. Going off campus is really fun because there are many things to do, such as, shopping, partying on Bourbon Street, riding on the Street Car, going to museums, or biking.

Vick

The best thing about Tulane is being able to be in New Orleans. If I could change anything, I would make New Orleans more like it was before the hurricane. My school is the perfect size; small enough so you can get personal attention from professors and big enough so that you can feel like part of a community. I personally dont have any issues with the administration. The biggest controversy on campus is mainly the city of New Orleans. School pride exists, but for most people its New Orleans pride. The only unusual thing about Tulane is "Granny Cart Lady"; this old woman from New Orleans who randomly shows up to classes every day. I will always remember the amazing friends I've made at Tulane. They are smart, witty, intelligent, and make my experience worthwhile. The most frequent student complaints are the prices at the bookstore and how the school of Engineering got closed after the hurricane.

Most of these groups are not as popular as on other campuses. Unless free food is in the deal, they don't really exist. The kind of student that would be out of place at Tulane is the shy student who doesn't like to party or drink. Most people dress trendy and casual for class. Students interact with students that look like them, and share their interests. In the dining hall, the only people who eat there are generally freshmen and sophomores. Most upperclassmen live off campus. Most students at Tulane are from the Northeast or Texas and Louisiana. Most students are from upper middle class backgrounds. There is a lot of political apathy on this campus compared to others, yet most people would be liberal. I've never heard any talk about students prediciting future incomes, most just hope to find a decent job or grad school.

Not really. We like to go out and party but at the same time we are also really dedicated to our school work. If you party too much, chances are you grades aren't doing well and you will lose your scholarship.

All of my professors know my name. My favorite class is Documentary Film; my professor is intelligent and knows how to engage the class. My least favorite is Math; its a requirement, I dont like math that much. Studying happens on a daily basis; you have to study if you want to keep up. Class participation is common because the lectures are all interactive. Intellectual conversations are really popular among my friends and I. We are always discussing our classes. Students are competitive; but mainly with themselves. The most unique class I've taken is Screenwriting. We wrote our own screenplays. It was amazing. My department is through the Communications major. The professors are knowledgable and are always helping us out with classes etc. I don't spend much time with professors out of class. Our professors seem distant from student life. Tulane's academic requirements are pretty hefty and rigorous. The education at Tulane is heavily geared towards getting a job. Our career center is always trying to help us out.

-Lots of Drinking and Partying -We live on Burbon Street

Most popular organizations are greek life. Most people aren't as involved because they have their friends and New Orleans is a big enough entertainment for them. Most people close their doors in the dorms. Athletics are not popular. Dating scene is mainly just a hook up scene. I met my closest friends through my best friend from elementary school [we ended up at the same school] Greek Life exists but its not the center of fun. Last weekend I went out to dinner with some friends, went to happy hour, and went to a bar. On a Saturday night, if there was no drinking involved, you could go to dinner [we have the best restaurants!] or hang out and watch a movie. Almost all social life is off-campus.

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.