New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

Jonathan

Tulane is the best college as far as I am concerned. This city is the most amazing place to go to school in because not only can you have an amazing time any day, any time, but you can also be a part of history as we rebuild New Orleans. I love the people, the atmosphere, the beautiful campus, the amazing and caring teachers...I LOVE TULANE. There is only one problem with Tulane, there are not enough cute gay boys. If you are gay, and cute, come to Tulane, we need you and you will LOVE it here.

There are some very conservative people at this school, and i have had some problems with homophobia but that is the case in the world unfortunately and i think its best to not be sheltered from it. Most people are open minded and really cool, i wouldn't say that there are groups here because everyone is pretty chill. Mostly everyone is rich. There is a ton of diversity in this city, but on campus as far as socio-economic diversity is concerned, there is almost none. There are people from all over the world who go to school here, but i have not met anyone who is not at least middle class.

There are people who study all the time and people who never study, but there is a very relaxed attitude towards academics here, no one is competitive about grades and everyone wants each-other to do well. Most of my professors know my name, if not they know my face and they are always available and helpful. If you want an A here, you can get it if you work hard enough there are no impossible classes and teachers want you to do well.

There is no shortage of things to do at Tulane, there is a club for everyone but you don't have to be involved in the clubs to have a good time or make friends. People party every night here, it still amazes me that no matter what night it is if you want to go out and dance, listen to music, go to eat, get crunk...you can. From John Legend to Ann Colter to Bill Clinton, we have a lot of speakers and performers here. This is a huge party school but if you are not into drinking you can still have fun you just need to be creative. There is audobon park right across the street, museums, art galleries, thrift stores, yoga studios, coffee shops, restaurants, everything.

Andy

Tulane is just right in size. There aren't so many people that the classes have 500 kids in them, but you could go all 4 years and not know everyone at the school. The smaller class sizes make it easier to develop relationships with professors who can write you a letter of rec later on down the road. When people hear I go to Tulane, the first things that come to their mind are Katrina and the party lifestyle of New Orleans. There's always something to talk about when you mention that you go to school in New Orleans, which is pretty cool. I live off campus, so I'm mostly on campus just for class, food, the gym, and intramural games. People are proud that they go to Tulane, but not really for the sports teams. I'll always remember when Katrina hit, because Tulane was part of history. Even though it was a terrible tragedy, I came out of the experience a stronger person, and the school really bounced back quickly. The most frequent student complaint I hear is that sophomores have to live on campus now, which wasn't the case when I was a sophomore. It has really negatively affected the fraternities, because usually sophomores are the ones who live in the fraternity houses.

People wearing pajamas to class is not uncommon. I feel completely comfortable going in gym shorts and a t-shirt. I think you will find that the different Greek organizations kind of keep to themselves. There are definitely cliques within Greek life, which is unfortunate. Tulane has a lot of kids from the east coast, a lot from Texas and Louisiana, and the rest are scattered all about. People are very wealthy. I think you'll see a lot of left-leaning political groups, but they may just be more vocal than the right groups.

To a certain extent. I feel like the people who perpetuate the stereotypes stand out among others, so it looks like there are more of them than there really are. For example, a snobby New York girl who brags loudly in class about how much coke she did last night will grab a lot of attention, and people will remember her.

Professors in the Business School are definitely the best on campus. They all have real world work experience, so they can bring practical knowledge to the classroom. You can definitely be on a first name basis with most of your teachers, especially as you start to specialize in your major. Class participation in these classes can sometimes be mandatory, which can be nerve racking at first, but you definitely get used to it. Everyone has to do it, so no one really judges you. I know I have intelligent conversations outside of class, but I'm not sure I can speak for other Tulane students. Students don't seem to be too competitive. The one drawback of Tulane's academic requirements is that you have to take a lot of irrelevant classes. For example, I'm a finance major, and I had to take all of these bullshit classes like anthropology and genetics. I guess Tulane wants you to have a "well-rounded" education, but if I'm never going to use any of that knowledge ever again, why should I have to take it? I feel like outside of the business school, Tulane's classes are just about learning subject matter, not getting a job post-grad. I have a lot of buddies outside of business who are in their last month of school before graduation and have no idea what they are going to be doing next year. However, in the Business school, they really help you fill out applications, practice interviews, have career fairs, etc.

A lot of Northeastern Jews, a lot of cocaine

Greek life is pretty popular on campus. I think somewhere around 25-30% of the school goes Greek. There are plenty of non-Greek groups to join though, and they are well worth the time. Freshman dorms are very social, and people definitely are willing to meet new people freshman year. I moved off campus sophomore year, so I don't know how the sophomore dorms are. However, I do know that you will pretty much have your set group of friends at the end of freshman year. Baseball games are pretty popular. No one goes to football games. Basketball is somewhere in the middle, as our team is getting better. Tulane gets a lot of great speakers to come, especially to graduation. I met my closest friends in my freshman dorm and through pledging my fraternity. If you're awake at 2am on a Tuesday, you're probably at 50 cent night at the boot. Homecoming is always an awesome time, and baseball season is really fun. People party a LOT here, it's New Orleans. There are all different types of fraternities and sororities, and every student could fit in atleast one of them. Last weekend, we had a mixer, and I went and saw a movie the next night. If you're not drinking on Saturday night, you can go to Rock-n-Bowl for bowling, you can see movies, you can go to Hornets games, or just chill in the dorms if you live in one.

Yvette

-The best thing about Tulane is the location. New Orleans is a great place! -One thing I'd change is the slow internet in the dorm rooms. -I think the size of the school is just right. Maybe a little bigger would be good though, because information gets around fast. -People from home, most people don't know what Tulane is; but people with higher jobs (.ie. doctors, etc) all know what Tulane is and know its a great school. -Hahaha... most Tulane students would laugh at my answer to this, but I spend most of my time at Bruff Commons... not eating all the time though; to hang out and do work also. -One experience I'll always remember? How about all the experiences I won't/can't remember? -One complaint I always hear is "Why can't the boot accept GreenBucks?"

-I don't think any student would feel uncomfortable coming here. -Students either wear regular clothing and some go in sweats or pajamas and stuff like that. -All types of students interact with each other. -Most Tulane students are from the North.

-Some of my professors know my name... like half. -Favorite classes: microeconomics and psychology. -Least favorite: plays and playwrights

-I met my closest friend at Destination Tulane. Our parents were talking then kind of forced us to meet each other and now we're really close and are always together. -2am on Tuesday? That depends... did I go to 50 cent night? If so, I'm probably walking back to my room slightly drunk. If I didn't go, sleeping for sure. -SSN! Sober Saturday Nights. Me and my friends have the occasional SSN and we just hang out, watch movies and have a sleepover. Seems a bit childish, but its a lot of fun! -I don't do much off campus since I don't have a car with me and my schedule usually conflicts with shuttle schedules.

Rory

Tulane is in New Orleans, and this city changes every single student who goes to Tulane. The NOLA culture in amazing and every Tulane student is proud to be part of the community.

Some people jokingly call Tulane Jewlane but the truth is there are people from all over. Generally students are pretty well off though.

Well I find that Tulane students are usually some of the craziest, friendliest, most approachable people I've met. Some are stuck up assholes but they generally cluster together so don't bother the rest of us. However, its true. Tulane students do their fair share of coke and pretty much any other drug for that matter.

Tulane is not for slackers. The classes are challenging and this city offers far too much distraction. That said it is not often you'll find a student here who is obsessed about grades. I find that most of the people who go here are smart enough that they find ways to get good grades while still partying hard and going to class hungover. The library while empty for most of the semester is jam packed for the last week or so before finals. We party hard, but unless you have your shit together you're probably not coming back second semester. Thats enough motivation for even the craziest Tulane student to put in a few hours of serious work before heading to Ms. Maes.

Great guest speakers. I recently saw Colin Powell and Jeffrey Sachs. I'm always surprised by how many students come to these events. Tulane students are always doing anything. Audubon Park is just across the street and anyone who goes there especially if you take some shrooms, knows that the park is unreal.

There are a few stereotypes. One is that Tulane students are rich kids from the Northeast who are stuck up do a lot of coke. Another is that we party really hard.

Sam

Yes and no. Yes, a large portion of the student body is well off (financially), and a large portion uses cocaine and other expensive drugs. But, no, they are not the "typical" student. With regards to drinking alcohol, yes, a very large portion of the student body drinks, but there are also groups that don't drink. The drinking/drug-using/spending daddy's money portion of the student body is just the loudest and most noticed---there is so much more than that at Tulane.

The basic stereotype is a rich, white guy or girl who has more than enough expendable income. Often this stereotype bleeds into using cocaine and other expensive drugs. Also, a stereotype of a Tulane student is that he/she drinks a lot of alcohol.

Alex

The best thing about Tulane is the city. It is a great cultural and historical resource, plus it is a lot of fun. The size of the school is great; you can meet new people all the time, but there will always be some way to relate that person back to another person that you already know. New Orleans is the same way; it is a big city, but the neighborhoods give it a smaller more personal feel. The Tulane administration seems evasive. They talk a lot about trying to do things the way the students want them done, but they either do not ask them about major decisions, or pick a small group that does not represent the entire school. There is a lot of school pride, but it is usually mixed with some of the stereotypes above. People do not really get that involved with school politics, but there is a lot of involvement in activities and community service. I think that is a major positive trait, the community service opportunities available.

There is some diversity at Tulane, but there is a huge black/white divide. I would say that other races mix more, maybe because there are not many of the other groups, so they can't segregate themselves. Socio-economic divides are also present, because there is a small percentage of extremely wealthy kids at Tulane, but there are many middle-class students that recieve merit-based scholarships making this not a huge issue. The only time I might say it would be different for the lower-middle class kids is in the part-time job department. Many students do not work while in school, or if they do they work a few hours on-campus.

I believe that there is a group of people that fit this description, but there are many who do not. This negative stereotype is easily identified, therefor people use this one group to affirm these stereotypes, but the majority of Tulane students do not fit this description

Academics at Tulane a great. Within the major, Professors definitely try to get to know the students. At the lower levels it may not seem that way, because who knows if the freshmen will continue on in that field, and the classes are bigger in the lower levels. Students here really balance the studying with the play. We will go out any night of the week (maybe Monday and Sunday are slow nights), but we still manage to handle all of our school work. It is a matter of finishing what we need to do before 10 or 11 when we go out. Professors are given money to have activities outside of class, and this happens all the time. This is a great way for the students and the professors to get to know eachother better.

Most people see Tulane students as rich, materialistic, and self-absorbed.

Brian

The best thing about Tulane is the school we're in. No other school in the country can offer the culture and environment that New Orleans has. It's truly an amazing environment to go to school in. I'd change and hope to improve the administration's relationship with organizations, specifically the Greeks community. The school isn't too big or too small, but it's great when you walk down the street or look around class, and you can know everyone or no one, it's entirely up to you.

Not particularly. There are a lot of interesting people that don't need to go out and get wasted nightly that are perfectly fine to hang out with.

The professors seem to care about their students. They don't necessarily go out of their way to ensure that students learn and excel, but they are very knowledgeable and there is a great deal of accountability that they put on the students.

Social life is great...if you want it to be. There's Jazz Fest, Voodoo Fest, Crawfest, the list can go on and on. Oh, and Mardi Gras. That's a ton of fun that you have to experience to understand. Local bars are extremely accommodating to the college students' pocketbook, and as a Greek, there is always something to do, somewhere to go, and a group of friends to be with.

Snobby, drunks, inconsiderate people.

Meaghan

The best thing about tulane - its location. i love that its a tight campus within a city full of culture and fun. The size is just right. I spend most of my time in the architecture building. Definitely NOT a college town. Biggest recent controversy- JUICYCAMPUS. not that much school pride because our athletic teams aren't very good.

The campus is mostly white, but there is some diversity. The stereotypes are like any other campus, but the dominant groups are fraternity guys and sorority girls, athletes, smart kids, and alternative kids.

All my professors know my name. My least favorite class was intro to psych. students study a lot on campus. but they also party hard. class participation is common. My major is architecture. The Tulane school of architecture is a very tight community, mostly everyone knows each other by name. The professors are very committed to being available and helping when needed.

greek life and Undergraduate student government are some of the most popular groups on campus. Sometimes students leave their dorm rooms unlocked. Athletic events are not very popular, neither is theater. But the guest speakers are always very popular. The dating scene at Tulane is not really dating. For the most part, people just hook up with each other and dont really have lasting relationships. If i am away at 2am on tuesday i am probablly at 50 cent night at the bar right next to campus...50 cent drinks... Last weekend i went to a crawfish boil on the levee.

Sandy

Tulane's pretty small. There are lot of recognizable faces.

Tulane's pretty small. There are lot of recognizable faces.

There are many cultural groups here. They have many events where they try to promote the different cultures. The sorority girls get dressed up sometimes, but for the most part, students dress pretty casually going to class -- jeans and tshirts.

People here are very studious. It's kind of intimidating sometimes how hard people try.

Everyone is Jewish and does drugs.

Dale

The best thing about Tulane would have to be the location. The campus is situated in uptown New Orleans so it is safer than all other parts of the city while still being connected to the culture. The culture in New Orleans is exceptional and one can find various areas of interest throughout the city. In my opinion, the school is the perfect size. It isn't too small that you feel like you're in high school and you can meet new people everyday, yet it isn't too big where you feel lost in the crowd. When I tell people I go to Tulane they ask if I will drown eventually from the next hurricane, they are impressed, or they have never really heard of the school. I spend most of my time in various areas of the campus, but mainly the student center or Bruff, our cafeteria. Tulane is a college town. With Loyola right next door, the two college campuses interact a lot and much of the surrounding area is overrun with college students, with many upperclassmen living off campus. There is some school pride, but I think it would be more so if our football team were any good, or any of the sports teams for that matter. The most frequent student complaints would have to be about the cafeteria food and the cleanliness of the dorms.

There are several diversity groups on campus, such as Hillel or Christian organizations but I have not had any experience with them, but I do know they are offered. Students wear a wide variety of clothing to class. The majority of the student body is very relaxed and some wear what they wore to bed or work out clothes to work out later or they have just come from the gym. Yes, different types of students interact. The school is pretty diverse so there really is no way to get around interacting. Most Tulane students are from the north,surprisingly. A wide range of financial backgrounds exist, but many come from wealthy families. Students are politically aware and active. We just had Barack Obama speak on campus and many students showed up, so much so that some couldn't make it into the auditorium. We have a Democratic and Republican group on campus and both have a many students as members but the student body would probably be predominantly left or center. No, students don't usually talk about how much they'll earn one day, at least in my experience.

Although many students at Tulane come from wealthy families, many students I know have a lot of scholarship money to pay for tuition or are just not snobs. But, of course, just like any where in the country, there will be people of all types. Overall, the students here are quite diverse in personality and background.

Depending on the class, some professors know your name. But, of course if you are in a lecture style class it is impossible that the teacher will ever know your name unless you go to their office hours or talk to them after class. My favorite class has been Spanish because the class size is smaller in the language classes and the professors I've had have been fun, engaging, and very helpful. My least favorite class has been Philosophy Symbolic Logic. The math department is not very good here. The amount that students study really varies upon the student, I know some students who study for what seems like their life and others who I've never really seen study. Yes, class participation is common, many students ask questions and respond actively. Not many students, that I know of, hold intellectual conversations outside of class but they are capable of it and if one wanted to they could hold a conversation with almost anyone. The most unique class I've taken was a freshman course on Dadaism and Surrealism. The teacher was fun and the information I learned was very unique and interesting. We even had class outside one day. The education at Tulane is both geard toward getting a job and learning for its own sake. By having core requirements, students are forced to take certain classes which are geared towards learning for the sake of learning. On the other hand, classes that students take for their majors are geared toward their success in their perspective careers. Depending on the class, sometimes we spend time with professors outside of class.

Some stereotypes that I have heard about Tulane students are that they are rich and snobby.

The most popular groups/organizations on campus would be Greek life. Students in dorms usually don't leave their doors open for risk of people stealing valuables. Athletic events are not very popular since the teams are not that good. Guest speakers are usually very popular, but of course depending on who the speak is. Theater is somewhat popular, especially if a friend is in the play. The dating scene is a bit lacking because many students don't want to date, most would rather party. But, there are a good amount of students that are dating so if you wanted a relationship you could most likely find one. My closest friends are my hall mates. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am most likely either studying or partying, very different extremes. People party as much as they desire. You can find something to do or a reason to go out every night of the week and weekend if you wanted to. Fraternities and sororities are somewhat important but not everyone joins so it does not overtake the social scene or university life. Last weekend I went out with my friends to local bars. On a Saturday night, if you didn't want to drink, you could stay in with friends and watch a movie or go explore downtown. Going off campus is really fun because there are many things to do, such as, shopping, partying on Bourbon Street, riding on the Street Car, going to museums, or biking.

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.