New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

Tulane is becoming more diverse, but it could still be improved. The student body is overwhelmingly white.

The student who is driven, engaged, intelligent, friendly, and wants to both study hard and have a great social life should come here.

As a college junior, I can see the value now of entering college on my own, without my high school relationship. That is not to say that all high school relationships are doomed to fail - there are some that can work and there are couples that stay together for all four years of college. However, I would tell myself to end the relationship I was in before entering college, rather than dragging it out until my sophomore year. A lot of pain and heartache could have been avoided had I cut the relationship short before my freshman year of college. My seventeen-year-old self needed to know that she would be okay - better, even - without a boy. Being single would have allowed me to try new things without fear of causing a fight, or to date other people while everyone was still new to the school. Overall, it would have meant the freedom to discover who I was - without the influence of another person who wanted me to stay the same. Be free, I would tell myself - cut loose and be you!

Bari

i would say to never take anythig for granted and to choose the college based on where you see yourself best... not where you wish to tell people you go to school.

the city and culture around me

Jessie

Most agree high school is a difficult transition. We watch those closest to us continually change. Preferences, opinions, appearances, and social groups fluctuate. Next, we are somehow expected to choose our future life path overnight. This can be an agonizing, confusing, and unsettling experience. Where do we begin to find ourselves among the sea of change? These changes were extremely distracting to me. Though not inherently bad, distractions distort and lessen our focus. I feel in hindsight had I possessed a richer self-awareness, I would have had a clearer vision despite the changes that surrounded me. Having a rich self-awareness softens life’s transitions. Listen. Observe your feelings, listen to your gut, and follow whatever it is that rings deep inside you. It is the best way to do right by yourself, to maximize your life potential, and to rise above your setbacks. Self-awareness allows us to better utilize the opportunities we are given. College is a wonderful opportunity, a time to explore, and to learn about great things. At this time, practice listening to yourself, continuing to learn about yourself, and working towards becoming more of the person you dream of becoming. Quiet! Listen to you…

jamal

I would tell my self hey jamal k robinson stop playing around in class and pay attetion more, be more serious, because college is not easy, and a few years from now your going to learn it. and dont worry about twitter and facebook, becasue your going to be deleteing those things a few years from now, because you going to realsize your education is more important then a social life. so star now and not wait

Tanya

You'll find many shades of vanilla–artists, hipsters, stoners, jocks, intellectuals, sorostitutes, frat bros–all united in an eclectic city of eternal Mardi Gras.

College (and nothing in general) ever happens exactly the way you pictured. Pack everything. Take half of it. Use campus resources your student fees paid for. Submit financial aid early. Do not sign up for Netflix. Nobody has it all figured out, that’s okay. Everyone you meet in college can teach you something valuable, so be open and listen. Strive to remember people and something they’re passionate about. Greet them by name. Smile. There will be times when you feel like you’re losing it. That’s normal. Remember, this too shall pass. Journal. Take pictures. Develop curiosity about everything. Be ambitious. Read a lot. Ask questions. Maybe even in office hours. Be flexible and prepared to change your mind and major. Do what you love. Register for 16 credit hours, no more or less. Drop “that” class, if you can. If a course is miserable in the first week or so, it will be ten times worse by the end of the semester. Keep in touch with professors who might write a letter of recommendation for your dream job. Call mom. Respect yourself enough to study and have fun everyday. Take it one day at a time.

The shy wallflower may feel out of place, like a lone petunia in an onion patch.

Chelsea

I think my school is unique because it is in Louisiana, but less than half the school is from Louisiana. It is cool to constantly be meeting people from across the country with very different political and religious beliefs.

I would have taken harder classes senior year so I would have been more prepared for the work load my freshman year. My views have also changed since I'm an international development major; I would have told myself to be more active in helpful causes or volunteered more to help my community.

The way classes are scheduled is strange because no matter how I schedule my classes there are always awkward time gaps between them to where its not enought time to do anything other thn wait around for the other classes. I would prefer having all my classes back to back in the morning and not very spread out throughout the day.

alanna

I would tell my past self to research colleges earlier and decide where to apply by November instead of January. I don’t think I can stress enough how important deadlines are; regarding applications, aid, scholarships, programs and housing. The number one thing I would tell my high school self is research scholarships and apply for them early. I am learning that valuable lesson now as I am scrambling to come up with scholarship award money. Another piece of advice would be: be optimistic but not naïve. Sometimes things fall into place, however you can’t count on them to. Something I am realizing this summer is to appreciate your family while you’re living with them. Be grateful for your home, house and town because you’re going to miss it while you’re away. Life may seem routine in high school, because it is, but that routine and safeness won’t be around forever. I wish I would’ve understood that I have/had a lot to learn and to value other people’s views even if it conflicts with mine. And always remember that you get what you work for.

Clare

Dear High School Self, In the coming months you will be exposed to many new experiences that, if navigated wisely and with determination, will strengthen you and further your growth into a wonderful, young person. There will be difficult times, sticky situations, learning curves, but many rewarding and life-enriching moments along the way. To ease your transition into college life I want to inform you of the importance of one thing: responsibility. In college you will find your self challenged, academically and socially, in the best way possible. With a higher education you have the opportunity to better your mind and the core of your being with the abundance of new knowledge being presented to you. However, this can be overwhelming. The merits of expanding ones mind are easily lost in the distractions of everyday life and even ones future goals. So I say this: stay grounded in the present moment, complete the task(s) at hand, and do not lose sight of your end goal. Each assignment, each exam, each academic course, is a stepping stone to success and focusing your time on these things is what will ultimately see you through. Sincerely, Me

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.