New Orleans, LA
Tulane University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Tulane University of Louisiana

Allison

A lot of people see us as a Jewish school (Jewlane) or a party school (I've heard that our unofficial motto is "First we out think you, then we out drink you.").

The only stereotype I can think of for Tulane is "Jewlane," due to the high number of Jewish people that attend. I don't think that's exactly accurate though. While, yes, a number of students at Tulane are Jewish (there are two Jewish centers for Tulane), there are many other types of people present.

What are the most popular classes offered?

I don't think any class is particularly "popular," but some classes do fill faster than others. Classes that are in lecture halls tend to fill pretty quick, which sucks if you have a bad registration time. Those classes are like chemistry and Diversity of Life, which is an EBio course. Different classes are popular with different majors, it's just up to you to decide what you want to take. Also, if a "popular" class for your major is full, get on the wait list. You never know how many people will drop.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend involves a lot of going out. There are always things to do and people to see. Most stops involve the Boot for happy hour, then to Roccos or a frat party, then back to the Boot. If going out isn't your thing, Tulane After Dark always has things going on Thursday through Saturday. There is swing dancing, trivia night, and drag queen bingo, just to name a few. On Saturday and Sunday, Bruff serves breakfast a lot later than normal, but they also have lunch stuff out too. People are usually seen during the day trying to relax any way they can (i.e. wearing sweats, tanning in the quad, frisbee).

Tell us about your professors.

I think the professors are pretty cool in general. You do come across some that appear evil, though. Just like students, every professor is different: they help out and teach different ways. You are going to get some professors that you don't like, but that's ok. By the end of the semester you may learn to like them. My professors, for the most part, have been pretty cool. I think my favorite, though, was my French II professor, Madam Voltz. She was one of the best, most helpful teachers I have ever experienced, She is suppers supportive of everyone, and she brings out the best in people. A tip for professors though, after you get to know them, you realize they fit into their profession (like English professors seem like English professors, scientists seem like scientists, etc.).

Every freshman should know to calm down, and don't try to show off. We know you're freshmen, we were in your spot too. Don't talk down about teachers or TAs about grades if you don't put in the time and effort, this isn't high school. Professors are there to help you get ready for the real world. College is different than high school, and you are going to have to adapt. Just keep calm and carry on. =] Don't feel pressured to do something just because you hear an older student talking about it.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

A big issue on campus involves the workers. Most of the Tulane food employees are hired by a company called Sodexo. Sodexo doesn't pay the workers a lot, and they have a bad history poor work conditions. Students are trying to change that though, and get better working conditions and wages for the workers.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The best part is there is always something to do on campus. Whether a frat is having a party, bar specials (if you're of age), TUCP puts on a movie or concert, or you go to Tulane After Dark, you will always have something to do and someone to do it with. I don't really think there are bad parts of the Tulane social scene, besides the fact that fun stuff always happens when you have something important to do.

When you step off campus what do you see?

This all depends on where you step off campus. If you step off campus in front of Gibson, you will see St. Charles Street, home to a street car line, and Audubon Park, which is a good place to study or relax or take pictures. If you step of campus by Newcomb, you will see Broadway Street, home to the Greek houses and the Boot! There are completely different areas surrounding Tulane, it's just up to you to decide what you want to see!

I think the feel, as weird as that sounds, is what's unique about Tulane. We are an old school, founded in 1834, and have a mixture of old and new architecture. I've also heard that we are a Northern school placed in the South (33% of students are from the Northeast), and that we are the Harvard of the South. We also have the largest free-standing dome in the Northern Hemisphere, McAlister Auditorium! We also play football in the Dome. Who else can say they do that on a regular basis?

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Food is always on the minds of college kids. Unlike some of the bigger schools, we only have one cafeteria, Bruff. Bruff is decent, but not the best. As I've said in another question, check EVERYTHING. The LBC, on the other hand, is pretty good. It has Freshens Smoothies, Lagniappe (which means "a little extra"), Einsteins Bagels, Baja Fresh, Byblos (I think I spelled that right...), Panda Express, Wall of Greens (for salads), and a sushi place. The LBC takes Wavebucks, so you don't have to pay with cash or credit. There is also the Drawing Board Cafe, which I've never been to, in the architecture building. I've heard it's pretty good though. There are 3 different PJs coffees spread around campus: one under Stern (called PJs under Stern. Go figure.), one in the library, and PJs on Willow, which is on Willow Street. They have pretty good coffee, but there is usually a line, so don't go when you're late!

My all-time favorite campus tradition is Crawfest!!! I love me some crawfish! Crawfest is a day long event on the LBC quad. Sixteen TONS of crawfish are brought in and boiled with potatoes (which are the best) and corn. If you are vegetarian, like many students at Tulane are, don't fret! There are other stands around the event that sell food too! Just be sure to bring money for them. Crawfest is free with a Tulane Splash Card and $10 for everyone else. There are also booths set up that gives students the opportunity to see some of what makes New Orleans amazing. If you've never eaten, or let alone seen, a crawfish, don't be alarmed! It's pretty easy to eat. Just pop (and twist) the tail off and unwrap it like you would a boiled shrimp!

What's the dating scene like?

I'm probably the worst person to answer this question because I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend since we graduated high school (we were in the same area and went to Tulane together =] ). However, from what I see, I don't think it's too bad. There are a lot of people on campus in relationships. I even think there is a speed dating event at the beginning of the year, but don't quote me on that! I think that as you go out and meet people, you will find someone who is "datable." =] Just don't be afraid to make conversation!

What do students complain about most?

Students definitely complain about the food the most. I don't blame them. Bruff isn't necessarily the *best* place in the world. I'm from the south, so I LOVE me some food, especially cajun/creole. I don't want to turn you off to the cafeteria, but I will give a warning: check EVERYTHING. Plates, utensils, cups, etc. Not everything is closely inspected for left over particles.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are typical dorms, for the most part. They are fairly small (except for Paterson), but you still have plenty of room for what you want to do. Only Freshmen and Sophomores are guaranteed housing, unfortunately. The freshmen dorms are Monroe (where I lived! Yay MO7!), Sharp, Butler (honors), JL (all girls), Paterson (I worked there) and Wall (you have to apply). The pictures online do NOT do the dorms justice. Trust me. They are a little better than the pictures. Also, keep in mind the only freshman dorm that doesn't have community bathrooms is Wall. Monroe is 12 stories (it sucks moving in there, trust me, but y'all don't have to lift a finger for any freshman dorm!), with kitchens on MO6 and MO12. It's usually co-ed by wing, but GUYS CANNOT USE GIRL BATHROOMS AND VICE VERSA! I think it's actually illegal. And you'll get a write-up. I think that MO was pretty cool, even though it wasn't my first choice. Monroe and Sharp are considered the "party dorms." Sharp! It has two sides- one 7 stories (Sharp Tall), and one is 4 stories (Sharp Short). I've never actually been in there, but I don't think it's too bad from what other people have told me/pictures I've seen. But please, for the love of all things good and pure, don't play frisbee in the hall. That happened to Sharp Short 1 my freshman year, and the whole first floor got flooded because it knocked off the sprinkler head. Everyone hated that kid. Butler, as I said, is the honors dorm. Don't let that fool you, though. You will still get the typical freshman experience. I personally don't think the rooms are that nice, but they aren't that bad. You'll stay in them during summer orientation. That's pretty much all I know about that dorm... JL! Or Josephine Louise, is the all girl dorm. I've never been in there, but unless you WANT to be surrounded by girls at all hours, go for it. Also, you may have a chance of winding up there if you apply to a popular dorm late. On the plus side, it has a sink. Paterson was pretty sweet. It's the Wellness dorm, but that doesn't really mean anything. All the people there were pretty chill. I worked at the front desk and pretty much learned everyone's faces by the first month. It has 3 floors: 1st is guys, 2nd is girls, and 3rd is guys. Girls, if you want Paterson, APPLY EARLY! Trust me. And it's one of the two co-ed dorms that have a sink. Trust me. That's pretty nice. Oh! And sophomores live on the balcony. Finally, Wall. It's also a freshman/sophomore dorm, but you have to apply. I've seen pictures, and the rooms are AMAZING! I said to myself that I didn't want to fill out another application, especially for a room, but I wish I did. The rooms are huge and nice and have a suit style bathroom.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

So far, my most memorable day was the day Bin Laden was killed. Yeah, that sounds a little morbid, but the campus went absolutely CRAZY! People swarmed the quads cheering, hung American Flags from balconies, and went crazy outside The Boot. For one night everyone came together to celebrate the beginning of the end of a war.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Tulane because I felt it was the best fit. Walking onto the campus sealed the deal for me. It's just the right size, there are different types of people, and it's in New Orleans (which is about 3 hours from home)! I knew Tulane was tough, and that's what encouraged me. I didn't want to be like my other classmates and go to state schools or community colleges. I wanted to make something out of myself, and I knew Tulane was the place to do that.

What's the Greek scene like?

I really enjoy the Greek scene on campus. We don't have the *biggest* Greek scene, but it's big enough for the school. We have seven sororities with one coming to campus next spring. The sororities are Phi Mu, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, Kappa Alpha Theta, Sigma Delta Tau, Chi Omega, and AEPhi. The newest sorority is going to be Zeta Tau Alpha. The fraternities on campus are Alpha Epsilon Pi, Delta Tau Delta, Kappa Alpha, Kappa Sigma, Phi Gamma Delta, Phi Kappa Sigma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Chi, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Zeta Psi. The fraternities usually have something going on every weekend, and word spreads fast about the events! We have spring recruitment, so if you don't know if you want to go through it or want to see what each one is like, there is plenty of time!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Unfortunately sports aren't the biggest thing on campus. Being from the south, I love, love, LOVE football. I'm friends with some of the football players here, actually.They are pretty cool dudes. However, there is never a huge turn out for games. We ARE building a football stadium on campus, though! It'll be done by 2014, but as of now our football games are played in the dome. Our basketball and baseball teams are pretty good. Our men are undefeated, and last year we started off the baseball season in the top 25. You don't hear too much about volleyball, track and field, and swim and dive though... But they are here! The swim and dive advertise meets and competitions, and those have been fun!

What are your classes like?

Right now I'm in almost all science and math classes. I will say they are pretty intense, but nothing actually reading for and taking time to study can't handle. I'm also currently in German 101, and I absolutely love it. The teachers are extremely helpful and knowledgable in all my classes, and they are always available via email or office hours. I won't, however, recommend taking 19 hours of almost pure sciences. As I said earlier they are pretty time consuming. Try to space them out a little!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best study places on campus are the LBC, the library, and PJs on Willow. As far as I know, the LBC and PJs are open all night, and the library closes at 3:45 AM on weeknights and 9:45 PM on the weekend. The library and the LBC have a lot of space space for studying, but if you want a booth at PJs, you better get there early!

Tulane's courses are unlike any I have ever seen. There is something for everyone's interests. Most of the class sizes are pretty small, with the largest usually being the chemistry and biology classes. Because of the smaller class sizes and the ability have in-depth conversations, you are able to build a relationship with your professors and classmates, which can be very beneficial in the future. Professors are always available via email or office hours. Because of the rigorous courses, students can be found studying every day of the week in the library or in the LBC, but that doesn't mean they don't let loose and have fun. It's not uncommon to hear students talking about class work or what they learned over Facebook or in person. I have noticed, though, that sometimes students don't talk a lot in class.

Many people have called Tulane "Jewlane" because of the seemingly high population of Jewish students. However, I do not believe it is accurate. Yes, many people here ARE Jewish, but that does not define who we are as a community. There are many different people represented at Tulane, and no "stereotype" is left out. No matter what a person's style or religious beliefs may be, there is always a place for him or her in the Tulane community.

The best thing about Tulane for me is the flexibility. Teachers and administrators will work really hard to help you accomplish your goals, even if they're out of the ordinary. With about 7000 undergrads (and growing) it's a good size and most classes are pretty small, allowing you to build relationships with your professors. It's also flexible in the sense that you can be as involved on campus and school-spirited as you like or you can run around exploring the city and both are completely acceptable. I tend to spend my time off campus because New Orleans has a fantastic, youthful energy and great alternative culture. Because the student body is so varied and people are off doing their own thing, sometimes it feels apathetic. For instance there has been a movement going on campus since 2009 to get fair pay for the workers in the dining hall, but the organizers have had a really hard time getting any kind of solidarity from the students. I guess that's what I'd change about Tulane; I like the independence, but sometimes it would be nice if the student body was more cohesive.

Tulane, like most private universities, is overrun with upper-middle class white kids. There are a lot of frat boys and sorority girls, easily identifiable by the Greek gear they wear on designated days. Religious (especially Christian and Jewish), LGBT, and minority organizations are all present and vocal on campus, but to a lesser extent. Most students seem to come from the South or the New York area, which means the student body is pretty divided on a lot of issues. I wouldn't say Tulane is particularly political, but everyone does community service, so to varying extents, we're all socially engaged. Big draws to Tulane include its business, law, and medical schools, so a large chunk of the students are pretty intent on making good money one day.

To be completely honest, academics at Tulane are generally pretty easy. Of course it depends on your department, but a lot of teachers seem loath to giving anyone anything lower than a B. Unsurprisingly, Tulane seems to attract fairly laid-back, non-competitive kids, but that doesn't mean Tulane students aren't serious. Many are just there to get a diploma, but I've had some very intellectual discussions both in and out of the classroom and I've also had some first-rate English and French professors, people I've stayed in touch with outside of class as my interests in their fields have developed. My favorite class I've taken was on feature writing taught by a former editor of TIME Magazine. The teacher's insight was great and he really encouraged us to find the unusual side of everything and everyone we came across. I learned a lot about writing and a little about life in that class. In almost every class at Tulane there are both slackers and overachievers, and while the teachers will put up with coasting, they really appreciate students who put in effort.

Tulane is often considered a party school. This is partly due to the city it's in (New Orleans is home to Mardi Gras, after all), and up until Hurricane Katrina happened I think it was fairly accurate, but in the seven years since the hurricane the school has really dedicated itself to promoting community service. Today, the frat party scene is fading back and the school is attracting more and more students looking for a meaningful college experience; like New Orleans itself, Tulane is still a great place to party, but these days the students are a pretty mixed bag of social activists, fratastic bros, and highly motivated pre-professionals.

Sonya

Tulane offers every student a veritable cornucopia of activities. I manage a radio station here and I love it. There's very strong student organizations for ANY hobby. I mean ANY hobby. Student-faculty ratio is low, the campus is beautiful and safe, the city of New Orleans is amazing..I would not go anywhere else if I could decide again.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I loved the campus, faculty, and city

Glorious old noble buildings combined with modern

40% Greek life, approximately. The student media is strong - the radio station (wtulneworleans.com) and the newspaper (thehullabaloo.com). Lots of ethnic clubs - vietnamese, indian, asian association, etc. that put on a lot of events. Gamer clubs - Humans vs. Zombies. Literary society that publishes a book annually, poli sci clubs, game clubs, reading clubs..lots of clubs.

WASP - White Anglo-Saxon Protestants. JAPs - Jewish American Princesses. Black sheep - the individual free thinkers

Professors always know my name. Students are not competitive, but they do often spend time with professors outside of class. I think the academics are on par.

It's mostly true, but there are diamonds in the rough.

Paige

I think the title says it all...I love my school! The combination of New Orleans, social life, new friends, campus, and academic opportunities really make Tulane unique. I was nervous traveling so far away from home, at least a 5 hour flight, and only knowing one person from home at school. But I easily made friends and immediately felt comfortable in the city. I really enjoy New Orleans and try to take advantage of all the things it offers to me. No school is like Tulane. One night you can be at a frat party, the next at a jazz festival, the next taking the street car to a local Creole restaurant, and lastly watching a parade down the street and grabbing a drink at a bar. Unbelievable. The freedom New Orleans offers is addicting and I hope I never leave.

Describe the dorms.

There are a lot of options for the freshman dorms. The 2 main ones on campus are Sharp and Monroe. I lived it Sharp and loved it! Both are co-ed and right next to each other. These are basically the "party" dorms, where people will go to pre-game before going out usually. They all are 2 people in a room with a communal bathroom on the floor (shared only girls or only boys). It is not the nicest dorm, but the most fun. Then there is the all girls dorm, J.L., which is so beautiful. It looks like Hogwarts. It is close to the Boot (the main bar), but far away from the rest of campus. It is 2 girls per room and I have heard really good things about living here. Butler is the honors dorm, much quieter. It is co-ed and also 2 per room, really old dorm and not very nice. Patterson and Wall are freshman and sophomore dorms. They are nice and I'm pretty sure they have suite style living (2 rooms, with 2 in each, attached by 1 bathroom). If you are looking for the overall freshman experience I would suggest Monroe/Sharp because of its location and it is all freshman. If you are looking for a nice dorm J.L/Wall/Patterson. If you are looking for a quiet place to do work, Butler.

What are the most popular classes offered?

The requirements are the most popular, such as lab science, writing, language, social science (anthropology, sociology...), fine arts, math (calc, stats, psych)... I have been trying to get in the lab science "Earth as a Living Planet" for 3 semesters and still haven't gotten a seat. There are those certain teachers that are always so popular, their classes always have a waitlist of +75 students. My recommendation is to check on ratemyprofessor.com before creating your schedule. It is a life savor, trust me.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

When I visited Tulane, the feeling I got was unlike anything I felt when visiting other schools. This school is just, for lack of a better word, so cool! You have a campus and a city all in one, as well as a culture that no can match up to. Who else has Mardi Gras and random festivals, such as Po' Boy Fest and VooDoo Fest, all the time? The people here love to go out, but know how to work hard. This is a pretty tough school to get accepted to after all. I have not once regretted my choice in college so far!

What do students complain about most?

There is a lot of complaining going on when it is time to register for classes. It is almost impossible to get in the classes you want to be in during your registration time. It is the worst feeling ever when only one of your classes you want has an open seat. However, it always seems to work out. First week of school you can attend a class even if you are not registered for it and talk to the teacher after to ask if they will put you on the attendance sheet. The only classes that are extremely hard to get in are your basic lab sciences that everyone has to take for a requirement.

What's the dating scene like?

There are your typical random hook ups that happen every week, but occasionally people start to date. I had one friend who started dating someone after the first month of freshman year, and they are still together. Majority of my friends didn't start to date until this year. Also, your grade doesn't really matter when dating. Many sophomore girls dated freshman boys last year. It is easy to meet upperclassmen through Frat parties, date parties that sororities have, at a bar, or even in class (shocking I know).

Describe a typical weekend.

Thursday night we pre-game in the dorm then take a cab (tops $5 each) to the bar F&M's. During the day, the place looks like a hole in the wall, but on a Thursday night it is packed. Sometimes I splurge on their incredible cheese fries they sell there...yum. Friday nights are varied. They always begin with happy hour at the Boot ($5 huge cups of mixed drinks or $5 for 3 beers). Then maybe there will be a frat party happening or we will just wait around for it to be time to go to the Palms (usually after midnight). Saturday nights are the same thing, it's always changing up. But trust me, there is something to do every single night of the week if you want to. Bars downtown are always an option, if you are willing to spend the money to get downtown and back! There are also a bunch of other bars uptown that are within walking distance of campus.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

The food ON campus is not good at all. Our main dining option, Bruff, sucks. It really does. Freshman will love it at first, until they realize it is the exact same food every week and that it is always a hit or miss. We also have the LBC or Le Gourmet, food options that you can use your "wavebucks" on (not unlimited like Bruff can be). Those choices are a lot better than Bruff, but you get sick of them very easily. I like about 3 things at the LBC and 2 things at Le Gourmet. There is only so many times I can eat these things in a week...It gets really old really fast. But the OFF campus dining is amazing. The New Orleans style food is delicious, so I try to eat off campus as frequently as possible!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The library! Always packed during finals/midterms. You can also study in the business school library or PJ's, our coffee shop. Pretty much anywhere you can find. All of the dorms offer study rooms or lounges. I tend to study in my room majority of the time because I luckily have a single, only sharing a bathroom with one other suite mate. It is really nice to not have to leave my dorm to study I must say

When you step off campus what do you see?

Uptown is the college bar scene. You will see the Boot and the Palms, the most popular bars for students to attend on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. There are also some restaurants within walking distance of campus. Downtown is a city, you can easily get there by cab or street car. Of course, there is Bourbon street (which isn't all that it's hyped up to be). But more importantly there is an ENTIRE culture of New Orleans! Get a hand grenade, eat a po' boy, go to the levees, walk down Frenchman street, witness a parade...there are unlimited opportunities for good times

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

We are a division I school. Our football team...to be honest is not very good. I have only attended 2 games in my time at school, both homecoming games. Which we lost. Both times. However, we just got a new coach who coached the Saints and we are building a home football field that will be ready in 2013 so hopefully that will add to our school spirit! Our basketball team and baseball team are actually really good. I just attended my first basketball game a few weeks ago and it was packed! They give out free shirts and things for the first couple hundred people that come to the fan section. I sadly, have never attended a baseball game, but apparently they are fun! We have a bunch of intramural sports such as soccer, field hockey, lacrosse, hockey, volleyball...anything really!

Tulane is BEAUTIFUL! The campus is shaped like a cross, with the center being the "LBC", which contains the bookstore, a food option, stores, hair salons, barbershops, FedEx, a bank... The front of our school is charming. Before the holidays they put lights around the bushes surrounding the "Tulane University" sign, and it is breathtaking. Majority of the dorms are located near the center of campus. It takes about 15 minutes to get from one end to the other, very easy. We have lot's of green quads that add to that "campus" feeling. The buildings do not have a uniform architecture though, the one critique I have of the campus. Overall, it is the perfect size.

What are your classes like?

My classes are hard. Second year seems much harder than first year, for sure. I am currently in finals and using this as my procrastination right now! For a final I usually study for three full days before an exam, sometimes even more depending on the course. Some of my classes have papers due instead of a written exam. I like this better format a lot better.

Anything involving free food, students will be there. For example, the most fun school sponsored event hosted on the main quad of our school: CrawFest. SO FUN! Let me break this day down for you...imagine an entire quad of students decked out in bathing suits, sunglasses, and Tulane apparel with unlimited amounts of Crawfish and corn for all to eat. Everyone has a blanket laid down and they are stuffing their face with seafood while drinking daiquiris from the local DaqShack down the street. Surrounding us are local food stands offering some of the best snacks around as well as multiple live bands playing all day on two stages. This in total = unlimited fun

I see a lot of diversity in my school, all different races, many people with disabilities, and international students. However, I personally do not hang out in the most diverse crowd. I don't know if it is me or if it is the way the school is structured. But I tend to see a lot of groups of people who aren't diverse at all, then others who have every kind of person you can imagine in a friend group. It really depends on your extra curricular activities. I know our school offers many clubs, including LBGT, religious groups, and multi-cultural groups.

School is tough. But as my dad always says..."You go to college for class, not for parties." I work very hard in majority of my classes. There were those few classes that were definitely an easy A that fulfill some requirements, but many of my major requirements take up a LOT of study time. As a double major, Environmental Studies and English, I spend equal amount of times reading/writing and studying scientific facts. Tulane is not the best when it comes to being able to take all of your first choice classes each semester (they fill up very quickly). However, as I get older I become earlier on the line to choose my schedule. By Senior year I will be in every class I want. I honestly have never studied this hard in high school, I mean 24 hours in the library in one weekend. But your hard work pays off and even if you are getting average grades but your teacher sees how much effort you put in to the class, they will usually take that into account when giving you your final grade.

Greek life is not very large on campus according to the percentage on our schools website. However, it definitely has a more prominent role socially. You do not need to be in Greek life to go out, have fun, and meet new people. By NO means must you join a sorority/fraternity to enjoy school. However, it is an advantage to join because you automatically meet +50 more people who become your new "brothers/sisters". As a somewhat shy person myself, it helped me branch out and feel more comfortable when going to bars and recognizing more students. I really do love being a part of something that makes me feel so closely knit to a group of people. I also have many friends who did not join Greek life and they know just as many people as I do and are invited to many of the events Greeks hold weekly. It really is a personal preference to join or not, and regardless of your choice you will still be happy at Tulane.

Ryan

When you step off campus what do you see?

You see neighborhoods, Audubon Park, and the street car! You have Broadway on one side of campus which has many great places to go! On the front side of campus you have historic St. Charles Avenue which has the street cars to take you into the city! It really is a beautiful city. Don't let anybody else convince you otherwise. Hurricane Katrina came but the people rebuilt their city in a masterpiece.

Describe the dorms.

Ah the dorms. The one thing every college student either fears or looks forward to. Well first off I must say the dorms are very nice! Much nicer than I was expecting when I started. Community bathrooms are really not as bad as you think either. The dorms are sizable enough for 2 people to fit comfortably, as long as you don't overpack of course. Each floor and wing has at least one RA residing there to help with all your needs on campus. Use them. They're invaluable resources. The bathroom is cleaned daily and always kept clean. Your room is your own responsibility however. There is free internet and cable to keep you occupied during your down time if you so desire. I came into Tulane dreading the dorm life but now that I've had a taste of it, I couldn't imagine being there without it.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose Tulane University based off its affordability, location, and academics. Tulane is always willing to help make their school affordable for everybody. I'm attending Tulane on a scholarship, which makes the school cost as much as going to my State schools. Location! It's New Orleans, one of the greatest cities ever! You have culture, fun, places to see, and diversity abound! It's quite the astounding place and one where you'll find yourself never wanting to leave. Next would be academics. Tulane is ranked as the 50th college in the nation at the time I'm writing this. That's an impressive rating! Tulane is renowned for its academic abilities.

A modern day castle at the front of campus with lush green grass and far reaching trees, one of which holds many Mardi Gras beads. The campus stretches far back into Uptown New Orleans. Just past the front buildings are modern art creations to see! Then you have the long building of Stern Hall and the various science laboratories. Feret Street runs through the middle of campus, and crossing it leads us to the Lavern Bernick Center (LBC) where you can eat in the food court, visit the book store, or just study. The business school is to the right where you can see the stocks running by and students and teachers in suits. Monroe Hall and Sharp Hall, freshman dorms, are right behind the business school. A huge quad is to the left where many of the campus events are held. In short, the grass is always green, the people are always lively, and the campus is always ready for anybody.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Well...to be quite honest, sports are not the biggest things here. We aren't technically known for our sports so if you're coming here expecting to go far, I wouldn't suggest it. We are in the NCAA Division I football league, have our own basketball, baseball, and volleyball programs. Sports are not absent on campus but they are not majorly stressed. Catching a flag football game by signing up at the Reily Center is a great way to get involved as well.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place I've found to get work done is in Howard Tilton Memorial Library. There honestly is no better place to find some peace and quiet to study. If you prefer a little background noise, that isn't your iPod, I would suggest the Lavern Bernick Center (LBC) or in the multiple study rooms in the dorms.

Tell us about your professors.

The professors here are amazing! I have yet to run into a professor that is unwilling to help or direct you in any way. They seem to enjoy their jobs, which is pivotal for any teacher, and they want you to enjoy your college experience as much as you want to. Some professors though can be terrible though. That's the sad part. But most are like the ones described above.

Most, if not all, students are Tulane are academically smart so yes that one is correct! Also while a good many students do go out and party most of the time, there is a large percentage of the student body that do not all the time, which makes that one incorrect!

Academically smart! Very smart students congregate here. Although it is a stereotype, the most prevalent one is partiers. Yes, there a ton of outings and alcohol is readily available. While this is all true, the students here are still smart and concerned about their school work.

The students here are predominantly of middle class to upper middle class. I, being lower middle class myself, do not feel out of place here. They generally don't brag about anything, like the stereotypes in movies portray. I have yet to meet a student being actually rude. The students are very proactive in their prospective fields of study. They leave announcements everywhere! Posters, putting chalk on the street, emails, every way you can possibly imagine. All types of students here interact. Here we are one big school body.

It isn't easy. I start with that because it's the truth and it's the main thing you need to understand when you come into a nationally ranked university. Now that you understand that here it is! The academics at Tulane are just plain awesome! The teachers will know your name. Freshman classes are generally bigger. Like you General Chemistry or Intro to Psych will be larger around 150 students but other than that, most have a cap at 20. The university has a TIDES program which is basically just an extremely fun class! The topics range from Business to Clinical Medicine to Architecture in New Orleans to Baking. The class is designed to get you integrated into the campus, the city, and to give you a good advisor.

Rebecca

I think the best thing about Tulane is the opportunity to live in New Orleans, and every student should take advantage of that. New Orleans gets a national reputation as a party city, and there is no denying that part of it, but it's a city with so many great other opportunities too. Tulane Uptown Campus is situated right across from Audubon Park and right on St. Charles Ave. It's an incredibly beautiful and historical part of town. My favorite thing to do freshman year was walk or bike through the park with a friend to get groceries (there is a Whole Foods on the other side) and then stop and have a picnic by one of the many ponds on the way back. Tulane's campus is beautiful, but spending the $1.25 to take a streetcar ride down town, see the antique shops, street artists, and to of course grab some beignets (donut type things) and coffee is probably my favorite thing about this school. In terms of some of the more practical things, the campus is great, very beautiful and everything is easy to get to. One of the major complaints from students is the food, we have a nice area near the bookstore with some good options and two coffee shops, but the cafeteria tends to be pretty bad. But, even with some of the usual complaints, the administration isn't always on top of everything, trying to do unique projects requires lots of paper works, I find that students are usually glad about the choice to come here. My friends and I often talk about how glad we are that we have this great experience while many of our friends at home are talking about going to parties in dorm rooms for Halloween and we went to Frenchman St., which was packed with costumed people for almost a mile. And, when I tell my family or family friends I go to Tulane, they are always interested and proud, citing what a good school it is and in such an interesting town. I think Tulane is a great place, it's wonderful in terms of size because every time I walk to class I see at least a few people I know which is always nice. But I also see a lot of people I don't know, and its fun to have the opportunity to always meet new people.

This week we had our snow day, one of the quads is filled with snow and there is free hot chocolate.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There are quite a few dining options so I'll start with the worst first. 1) Bruff--- the kinda gross cafeteria. They sometimes have good fries, and pizza. Other than that, most people avoid it after Freshman or Sophomore year. Though, they do have waffle makers available at anytime and you can make your own waffles, plus and ice cream freezer so you can eat your delicious waffles with ice cream. In terms of healthy food though, they're severely lacking. 2) The LBC- this has a bunch of food places, Panda Express, Baja Fresh, bagels, sandwiches etc. It's right near the book store and a lot of people eat there. 3) PJs- coffee shops, which provide the exhausted student with delicious coffee in the library, near the dorms, and under the science building on your way to almost every class you have, there will be a PJs. And they are fantastic. 4) NOLA Bucks- this is money that you can spend at some of the places that aren't owned by Tulane but do surround campus, and you can get pizza, crepes (yum) and some other places without spending anymore money. Great for ordering to your dorm with friends or all going out to dinner. Students have a few other on campus dining options but those are less popular. They can also go to 'Luff' (Loyola Bruff, meaning the cafeteria at the college next door). which has a reputation for being far better than ours.

The best, and most unique, thing about Tulane's campus is the fact it's in New Orleans. Because it's Uptown, the campus itself is surrounded by a pretty quiet neighborhood but just $1.25 and a 15-20 min streetcar ride and you're right downtown, able to experience all that New Orleans has to offer.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Well... it depends what direction you're stepping off in. At the back of campus there is a large street, which if you have a car, can take you quickly downtown or to a movie theater or towards the mall. And directly across that street is the Kupcake Factory, which has some of the most delicious cupcakes I have ever eaten. There is also a small pizza place, a subway and a Mexican place (thats amazing and fast) in that direction that many students go to. On the sides of campus there are mostly neighborhoods, some of them are student neighborhoods while others are the more elegant 'uptown' neighborhoods. And the front of campus faces St. Charles Ave, which has some of the most beautiful houses in New Orleans on it. And it is directly across from Audubon Park, which, if you cross, is also right near Audubon Zoo and a street that has a lot of bakeries, boutiques and a grocery store.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

There isn't a huge sports scene in terms of the school teams, many of the athletes hang out together and some students do go to games but it doesn't dominate the social scene. What is more common, is the amount of students who play club sports. Many people play club soccer, vollyball or even fencing. And ever more students play inter-mural sports with other students from their floors or groups of friends or other types of clubs sometimes form teams. These sports are extremely common and there are diverse levels of players who are involved in playing. It's a great way to get to know people and it's a lot of fun!

My school is old, and my favorite thing about it are the beautiful old trees on campus. It makes walking through campus feel like the 'real college experience' and it's just beautiful. Many of the buildings have different styles as they were built at different times but they all seem to go together very well. I love the Tulane Uptown Campus, it's one of the reason's I chose the school when I was a senior.

What are your classes like?

My classes are great, this semester I'm in Ballet, Anthropology of Women and Men, Adolescent Psychology, Developmental Psychopathology, Nursery School Observation and an English class in a special topic that talks about pain and atrocities in literature and popular culture. The classes are extremely diverse, requiring different levels of attendance, participation and outside of class work along with their extremely different subjects. I really enjoy them all this semester and I think as you finish with your general ed classes and focus on things you're interested in, most people are really happy with their schedules by junior and senior year.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge athletics fan. And, from what I have heard, our athletics teams are generally not very good, except for baseball? Maybe, baseball... But I do know many other students do attend tailgating parties and cheer on our teams. I think one of the biggest areas of student involvement is community service. Due to the community service required by Tulane, most people find themselves completing at least some service during their time at Tulane. This manifests in a lot of different ways, as many of the biggest traditions on campus tend to revolve around causes. Such as 'Walk a Mile in Her Shoes,' where many of the guys put on heels and walk a mile, raising awareness for sexual violence. It's a good cause, and it's hilarious. In terms of the party scene, there are a few options. Bourbon St., one of the most famous party streets in the country, tends to be where people bring their friends if they have never been to New Orleans, but it's expensive and honestly just a little gross if you think about it while sober. There is also a pretty big Frat/Sorority scene, with at least a couple parties most weekends. The parties are always free and they are usually a lot of fun, especially the parties that the Frats are known for such as the 'Delts around the world party' or 'the bayou bash.' Frats tend to go all out for their headliner parties and even people who usually don't show up to Frat events come. There are also a few bars not far from campus. And there are many things to do that aren't drinking. As a theater and dance person, I go out to a lot of shows. Not to long ago I went to the New Orleans Fringe Festival, which presents fringe theater in many strange locations, such as old abandoned churches, coffee shops, hidden bars and just some person's front yard. New Orleans has a wonderful theater scene and even when Fringe isn't happening there is usually something to see. Tulane also offers some 'Take Back the Night' activities, which are late night things that are on campus. There are movies played on the quad, music and other options. Plus, there is always the fun and relaxing evenings watching movies in your floor common room or inviting some friends to watch a movie in your room. If you're looking for something to do that isn't drinking, there are always a lot of options.

I think students at Tulane are pretty diverse, but one of the things that keeps students more divided is the fact that the rich, sorority girls are also often business majors, and the LGBT students are often psych or gender and sexuality studies majors or things like that. It's not so much that there are uncrossable lines, and most people have friends in all sorts of different groups, but since we spend so much time with people in our classes the type of people tends to narrow. The general political feel of the school is usually pretty left, but being in the South there is still a fair number of right and center students. These students seem to get along fairly well as most of the focus is on awareness, and encouraging students to vote, rather than on tearing each other down. I think Tulane does a good job of creating an environment where no student feels automatically out of place. It may take some time to find the right video game club, the right sorority sisters, or that one other kid on your floor who likes heavy metal, but it can be done. That's one of the great things about the small size, whatever you're interested in, there is someone else who is too. And they aren't too hard to find if you keep looking.

I'm a psychology major (School of Science and Engineering), an English minor (liberal arts) and a dance minor so I have a lot of experience with many of the different class structures. I think that science classes are probably some of the hardest to be motivated in because they tend to be on the extremely high end in terms of the amount of students in the class. Biology is taught in a HUGE lecture hall and it was hard to even be motivated to go some days because I felt like no one would notice if I wasn't there. As you move into the higher levels of all classes though, class size shrinks, and as you take more classes with the same specialized professors they learn your names and you begin to really feel like a part of the department. I think dance classes are usually my favorite classes, especially the lower level classes, because they offer such an eclectic mix of people trying dance for the first time. Everyone gets a chance to get to know each other, and the professor. English classes also offer that opportunity, and class participation is more frequent in liberal arts classes in general. One of the reasons I applied to Tulane was because I really dislike hyper-competetive environments. I like environments that foster the idea that we should all be helping each other achieve more, not ones that seem to encourage you to let your fellow students fail because it will make you closer to the top. I think Tulane has a less competitive environment than many schools of similar academic caliber, and most of the students I know really are here to enjoy learning. Even outside of the classroom my friends share things they learned in their classes, and we are each pretty happy with our major choices even if we don't know what we want to do with our lives yet. I think the amount students study is another important thing to think about, and here students do study quite a bit but not so much that it interferes with having a social life. The library is closed early on Friday and Saturday nights and students are out, even when it might be a little irresponsible to be. During finals students really get to work though, and show that we're a school that works hard so we can play hard.

Tulane University students are thought of in different ways, depending on who you ask. There is a higher Jewish population than the national average, so there is a bit of a stereotype that everyone who goes here is Jewish and usually from the Northeast. But not everyone really is, and there are plenty of people from all over the country. Another stereotype is that everyone drinks a LOT, it is in New Orleans and I know from my friends at other schools that we do have more access to bars (which are more often to those 18+ instead of 21+) and there is clearly a drinking culture. That said, people often over estimate the amount of drinking that takes place, and it seems to me that there are usually a few people in any group of friends who don't drink at all.

Chelsea

Tulane University is a great college for business, pre-med and public health, but unfortunately, not so much for liberal arts. While a lot of liberal arts professors are great and the classes offered are interesting, the facilities for business students, for example, far surpass those for liberal arts majors. The campus is fairly nice and the library is decent. The food on campus is pretty awful, and it's really a shame that there is an obligatory meal plan for the first two years when you're in New Orleans. New Orleans is a great city to go to college in. The bars are great and fairly cheap, as is a lot of food. There is always something to do. If you are looking for a university that rallies around its sports teams, Tulane is not the school. I myself, have never been to a single sporting event. Word is that a football stadium is going to be built on campus--we have our games in the Superdome currently--so this may change. The best experience I have gotten from Tulane is being a DJ and staff member of our radio station, WTUL. We broadcast over an FM frequency throughout the city and the audience and DJs are not just limited to Tulane students. WTUL has introduced me to a lot of great music and interesting people.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms range from really nice and brand spanking new, to fairly disgusting! I, for whatever reason, elected to slum it both Freshman and Sophomore year. The rooms were fairly similar, with one roommate and a fairly large, single room. Sophomore year I lived with seven girls in a suite-style dorm with a bathroom in the middle. This was a very strange and hormone-laden experience. I knew all of the girls beforehand, but it was still a very difficult situation as there was NO privacy. There are also apartment style dorms for upper-level students as well as much nicer suite-style options in which you only have one room connected to yours through a bathroom. There is also the new Sophomore Honors dorm, which I have not yet seen but it's alleged to be really nice! I now live off campus and it's a vast improvement.

What are your classes like?

Most of my classes are fairly small, but many of the required courses are very large lectures with up to 200 people. These classes are often fairly easy, so I have not seen this as a problem in the past. As a Film Studies major and an English major specializing in Creative Writing, most of my classes are around 3 hours a session, once or twice a week. This makes for really intense schedules. However, most of the 3 hour classes are fairly interesting as they usually include both a film screening and a lecture, or they are a workshop class such as Screenwriting or Advanced Poetry.

The most popular groups are service based, but I feel like these groups only participate in one or two major events or builds each year and this serves more to pad resumés. There are a lot of really interesting clubs... one of which is The Juggling Club, which meets on the rooftop of our parking garage to juggle, but who also run a bike repair desk and have a pretty cool garden. There's also a French speaking club that meets once a week and only talks in French, a wine and cheese club and a couple political organizations. I am the Program Director and a DJ at WTUL which is our FM radio station. I DJ for 2 hours every week and get awesome phone calls from listeners and get to rip all kinds of music onto my laptop. DJs also get to do artist interviews and have in-studio performances. One of my friends just did an interview with St. Vincent! While there isn't a ton of DJ-interaction, we do get together to do service projects and have parties. This past week we had an open-to-the-public holiday party with two bands at Tipitina's. I also get a ton of free concert tickets in return for how much work I put in at the station. I met most of my close friends freshman year in my dorm, though they didn't live on my floor. I hated nearly everyone on my floor for whatever reason, so I hung out on my best friend's floor all the time and met all the girls who lived there. The next year I lived in a suite style set-up with seven other girls and we always left our doors open. The dating scene at Tulane is odd. Most guys are more interested in casual hook ups than dating, though most of my friends ended up with boyfriends eventually. Mardi Gras is as much fun as you think it will be. When I was a Freshman, I would go to frat parties for the free booze, but they are generally very sloppy and gross. I don't usually drink during the week, nor do my friends, but there are people who do. I was talking to a girl in a 6 PM Wednesday class last week and quickly realized she was drunk and had just gotten back from happy hour. As an example of a typical Friday night, last night I got back from the library around 9 PM. (Wooo!) I drank a Red Bull, rallied my energy, and went to a small party at a good friend's house, then went to a divey, but cool bar on Magazine. Now that I live off campus, a lot of evenings my roommates and I will invite friends over, cook dinner and have drinks. There are a lot of things to do on a Saturday night that don't involve drinking. One fun, non-drinking event is St. Claude Art Walk which happens once a month on a weekend night in the Bywater. All the art galleries in that area stay open late that night and have some pretty cool work on display. There is wine served, but it's not necessary to be drunk... I must say though, why are you in New Orleans if you don't drink?!

Most students at Tulane are well-off and white, and hail from the Northeast. There are a lot of Jewish students. I think it is somewhere near 40% Jewish. Other races are present on campus, but the divide is pretty harsh. This is not to say that someone from a different background would be uncomfortable, but they would be in a fairly small minority. Tulane is not a religiously affiliated school and I don't think I know a single person who attends services. Most students are laid back in terms of clothing. There is not much pressure to be incredibly well-dressed at all times. Political activism is pretty much non-existent, but most Tulane students are pretty left-wing and liberal, though generally apathetic and certainly not radical. If there were four hypothetical tables of students in the dining hall, one would be frat guys and sorority girls, one would be an uncomfortably racially segregated table of athletes, one would be "hipsters" and generally interesting or intellectual folk, and the last would be miscellaneous geeks. We certainly have enough geeks for there to be a healthy game of Humans vs. Zombies going down on campus!

I am a Film Studies and English major at Tulane. Most liberal arts classes are fairly small, and most professors certainly know your name and care about your performance. I have also been in large lectures of up to 200 people. Most professors make themselves available outside of class. I, myself, am not particularly close with any professors for whatever reason, but one of my roommates has become close enough with one of her professors to have eaten dinner at his house with him and his wife. Some professors make it quite blatant that they have other priorities and teaching is just a way to pay the bills. In the liberal arts, students are supportive, rather than competitive. If there is a large assignment, I often find myself meeting up with classmates in the library to complete them and have someone to take breaks with. I am currently in a Screenwriting class and we're doing a BYOB, scene-reading session at someone's house next Saturday before our final scripts are due. Most of my classmates are fairly intelligent, but of course, there are some that make you question how you're getting the same degree as them. I think some of the academic requirements should be done away with, but I understand that the purpose is "well-roundedness." I am currently in Geology to fulfill my science with a lab requirement and it's dreadful. An interesting requirement that Tulane has is the service learning component. You are required to take one class with a 20-hour service learning component and one with a 40-hour service learning component by the time you graduate. A lot of students feel that where they are placed within the community is largely ineffectual. I currently serve as an assistant tennis coach for under-privileged children attending Lafayette Charter School. The service learning really forces you to step outside of your comfort zone at times, but I think it's great to give back to the city.

Tulane students have a reputation for partying. This is partially true, but we generally work really hard academically, then drink... heavily. A lot of Tulane students come from the Northeast, with New York as the second largest "feeder-state," after Louisiana. Greek life exists, but it is not overpowering and one can still have a great social life without it. I would say that there are definitely more bro-tastic frat boys and vapid sorority girls at Tulane than eccentric bohemians, but most people find their niche all the same.

Matthew

Upper-middle Class, Jewish, drunks. ...It fits pretty darn well, really.

Upper-middle Class, Jewish, drunks. ...It fits pretty darn well, really.

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

The people who work at Bruff went on strike a couple years ago...I don't think they won. Um... ....*thinking* ....*thinking* ...*thinking* There's a new football stadium going up! That's pretty cool!...Ya, like I've said, Tulane isn't a very active place. People will complain here and there but noting ever happens. Some people like that, if you don't keep looking.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Pre-Med is huge here, as least at first. It seems like everyone has grand dreams of being a sexy overseas doctor when they come in, only to get their first c- ever and give it up (including me!). Besides that, there's a real large selection of majors. My friend and I are English, my other friend is Phych, I know people in the B-School, and a teacher, and Poli-sci. Again, as far as learning goes this school is as good as you'll find. It's New Orleans and the student atmosphere that will affect how much you like it here.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Best: Friday and Saturday nights really are a blast here. Some people complain about how repetitive things can be, but with a good group of friends there's always fun to be had. There's a great mix of people in the bars, with all age groups mingling (including a few way-too-old-for-a-college-bar guys that ladies should look out for). Everyone is wound pretty tight here during the week, but they all seem to let off some steam on the weekends. I've always fond drunk Tulane kids to be way nicer, and willing to talk than the fast-moving breed I find during the week. Worst: I don't have anything against the Greek system, but the people in it seem to think they're way more important than they are. At most Southern schools I know the Greeks are king due to having the only places to drink, but New Orleans kind of shuts them down. Despite that, many Greeks, especially the more popular ones, tend to look down on anyone not in their system, or at least not in a frat/sorority as popular as theirs. I had a couple would-be Greek friends Freshmen year, but they all left soon after joining. It can just be frustrating to be talking to a guy/girl, but once they hear you're not in a frat/sorority they like, they lose interest.

What do students complain about most?

The food probably. Bruff, and the food-court don't change things up much, and after a few semesters, the food becomes extremely boring. The problem is that unless one moves off campus, those are the only real meal options for the entire stay here. Just tonight, I had dinner at Bruff and at the same cheeseburger I've had probably 300 times over the past 2-and-a-half years. The middle-management is also often un-liked. The teachers are all great, and everyone loves president Cowen. The problem stems with everyone who works between the two. Things such as scheduling changes, internships, and study-abroad programs are under-developed which has lead to headaches for me and all my friends. After a while, people realize that if they want something to be done involving school, that they themselves will have to work it through.

What's the Greek scene like?

The Greek scene is pretty weird here because while Greeks usually dictate the party scene at a school because they set the parties and thus have all the power, here bars dominate and thus frat parties are total freshmen-fests. I have nothing against the Greeks, but I'm not one. What I mostly hear is that they're super fun for rush and Sophomore year, then turn into a drag as an older student. If you wanna be a frat-star, you totally can be...just don't expect people like me to care about you because we don't need frats to party.

Tell us about your professors.

New Orleans is a pretty sweet place to live, and to teach in so I have to figure that Tulane has little or no trouble attracting teachers to come work here. Because of that fact, Tulane has no shortage of tenured, excellent teachers that have generally served me well. There will be bad teachers at every school, but they're usually easy to spot early (If they speak English as a second language, that's not a good sign) and Tulane makes it easy to drop and add classes with more...desirable professors. Schools love to boast about personable teachers who guide you through your journey and make you feel at home. I never had one quite like that. I'm kind of a "stay in the back and pray not to be called on" kind of guy so I never made a ton of report. Still, every teacher has tons of office hours and will E-Mail you back nearly immediately if you have any questions. Most teachers here are fine to good. Some are great, some are terrible. You'll have them all by the time you graduate. Just roll with the punches.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

This is easy for me because in California no one does know what Tulane is. The first thing I'd have to mention is that yes, it did flood, and no, you can't tell. Then I'd go on to say that it's a pretty, East-coast prep college like BC, Yale, or Harvard in look and personality, just easier to get into and with more drinking. Then I'd go into all the cool stuff there is around campus because hey, most colleges are pretty similar, ya know?

Describe the dorms.

The Freshmen dorms are loud, obnoxious, ugly, and old...and I wouldn't have it any other way. Here's a breakdown. Monroe/Sharp: If you want the generic, insane, college freshman these are absolutely it. I lived in Monroe, and loved every second of it. Basically these dorms are 12, and 7 floors high respectively, with each floor housing half girls and half boys, separated by a common area. What the means is that all students there are surround by both sexes, all of whom are new and just want to have as much fun as possible. If you don't know or don't care where you live, choose Monroe or sharp as your two options. You won't regret it. Butler: Kind of a Mo/Sharp wanna-be. It's fine and I know of lots of people who are still friends from there. Wall: The honors dorm. The rooms are super nice and new, but things are awfully quiet. If that sounds more like your style (and hey, more power to you) this will fit nicely. JL: The all girls dorm. This school has more girls than guys and a majority of the excess ends up here. Most JL girls tend to not spend much time there, instead moving in with Monroe or Sharp friends, and only going back to sleep. Also, if you bring a boy there, he must ALWAYS be with a girl or risk being arrested. I've dated a couple girls here so I have soft spot for it really. Basically, if you're a girl, get your living orders in ASAP. That will make it more likely you don't get bumped into one of the "other" dorms. Best of luck!

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

The water in New Orleans is really bad, so every year I invest in a Kentwood water cooler for my apartment. The water comes from Kentwood Spring in norther Louisiana and is really quite delicious. I even named my pet fishy Kentwood after it! Last year, however, I had a problem. The cooler used to release the water was jammed for the cold water, and thus I couldn't gather the cool, delicious water I so craved. This went on for about a week, until my friends and I, likely guided by some liquid courage decided to take action. We figured that the most likely problem involved the water pressure of the tank. Since the water was coming out, just in a very weak stream we assumed that by releasing the pressure, a harder stream would result. Thus, just like one shot-guns a beer, we took a sharp knife and stabbed a whole on top of the 5-gallon jug, so as to increase the pressure and make the water come out. It worked awesome! The spicket worked and the delicious water came flooding out. Satisfied, we turned the water off. It kept coming out. We unplugged the wall socket, still no difference. Quickly the water became so great that water began to roll out from under the hole we placed the jugs. Quickly we realized our new 5-gallon tank was going to completely empty itself on our carpet. In a rush, we gathered the jug and rushed it into the bathroom shower. All the while the water continued to flow all over the carpet and us. By the time we got the jug into a safe location, the carpet, as well as we were completely soaked. The next day we hired the Kentwood guys to come help us. They noticed the still-soaked floor and commented how dangerous it was to mix water and the cooler electrical cord. Whoops. Now, if that story doesn't convince you to pick me for a live-chat, I don't know what will.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Just like in high-school, it is really up to the student to figure out where one want's to study. Obviously, the most quiet spot is camped up in a dorm room over a computer or desk. That's usually my method as when it's time for me to work, I can't have any distractions. For quiet, yet social settings, the library and coffee shop are both open until at least 4AM, and provide calm, social settings to get work done, as well as printers which are often hard to find in a dorm. The most festive option is to take your work to a common area just outside your door. In the majority of freshmen dorms this area will be the social hub with people coming and going, saying hi, watching the TV, preparing for bed, being drunk, and everything in between. I've never heard of anyone complain of a lack of places to study on campus. Everyone finds their niche quickly

If I could go back in time, the one thing I would tell myself would be to be smarter about picking my "joke" classes so that I could have more easily formed a minor. Basically the way the classes work their are four groups. Major classes: These should come naturally Pre-Requisits: You have to take these, don't rush into them. Minor classes: If you plan to take a liberal arts major like me, it's a good idea to double-major or minor in something else. The key to these are that you should remember to take classes in the same department early on so that you may add to them earlier. For example, I wanted to minor in history. Stupidly, as a freshmen I took a Latin American Studies class. This would have been great except that the class was labeled under Latin American Studies, and not History. If I has taken the HISTORY of Latin America, than that would be one less class I'd have to take now. Talk to your advisors about classes. You can do yourself a lot of help by picking smart classes early on. Joke classes: I recommend communications.

What's the dating scene like?

I have a girlfriend, and I had to work my ass off to get one. Tulane has one might call a "hook-up culture." People go out to bars, get drunk, kiss people they don't know, occasionally bring them back, and then usually not much happens after that. It's a great way to meet people (and stroke one's own ego) but it isn't a great system for finding true love. That isn't to say there aren't relationships. Not a day will go by without seeing two love birds holding hands walking or cuddling in the library. Relationships are a natural part of college and if one really puts themselves out there, they'll happen. The key is that you shouldn't expect a boyfriend or girlfriend to fall into your lap. Even a handsome, charming catch like myself had to work real hard, and meet lots of people before finding one that clicked. A lot of it might have been due to my California style which never clicked with the heavy-set east-coast attitude. Ultimately, there are enough pretty, sexy people that you should be able to get exactly what you want, given you're willing to spend the effort.

Describe a typical weekend.

The weekend is really Friday and Saturday here. Most schools have Thursday as their big party night because everyone goes back home on the weekend. Because everyone lives so far away everyone stays all week. People still go out on Thursday (and Wednesday...and Tuesday) but generally it's pretty underwhelming. As a Freshmen, it's pretty typical to go out both Friday and Saturday, and there is no shortage of things to do. Frat parties, bars, clubs, movies, this city has everything a fun-loving college kid could want.As you age a bit, however, one night a week becomes more typical with the other night being supplemented with a drunken boys-night-in. For example, last Friday I pre-gamed at a friend's house then went on a Safe-ride (Tulane's night shuttle service) to a friend's party a couple miles away. We hung there for a little bit than split off as I and a friend went to a bar to play shuffle board and my other friends went to a different party. I got back, ordered late-night tacos and fell asleep. On Saturday I played mousetrap while drinking boxed wine. Whatever you're looking for, Tulane and New Orleans will provide it for you.

New Orleans is pretty awesome. Basically imagine Disney Land if the goal of the park instead of entertaining children was getting 20-something mad hammered. Welcome to the big easy. Tulane exists in a land-locked grid of about a square mile surrounded by a some-what affluent up-town community, and then surrounded by the biggest party city in the nation. On any night - given you're willing to throw down around a hundred bucks and are morally ambiguous - you can seemingly do anything. Get trashed on daqueri, play checkers with a homeless man, go to an all male strip club are all wild adventures Tulane and its city have provided me. This is seriously a crazy city and three years later, I haven't even scraped the service of what this place has to provide.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

All throughout high-school I heard rumors of it - a magical, fulfilling warmth that would let every nervous senior know exactly where they were destined to end up. "That feeling" they said, would mysteriously fill your soul the second your eyes laid upon what was to be your new home. I visited over a dozen school in a grand cross-country journey. Santa Barbara, Cal Poly, Davis, USC, all super nice and yet missing...something. They all missed that feeling. Then I went to Tulane. Tulane gave me that feeling. By reading the rest of my work you know I am not madly in love with this school. I am however, proud to go here every single day. Like it or not, this school has become one with me, and I will never be able to shake that, nor do I want to. Sites like these are great for obtaining all the facts and data you and your parent's heads can handle. Yet ultimately, I recommend you let the feeling pay out for you too.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There are four places to eat on campus. 1) Bruff: Bruff is the super generic dining hall which Freshmen will find themselves in more than they'll ever care for. The food is plain, greasy, and not particularly enjoyable. There are also big TV's all over the place that play really bad top-40 music that always seems to be about 10 decibels too loud. Still, everyone has a soft spot for Bruff and I personally had a lot of really good times there sitting with friends and meeting new ones. 2) The LBC: The LBC is the food-court on campus. The selections are: bagels, pasta, sushi, smoothies, Panda Express, Quiznos, Byblos (greek food), Baja Fresh, and a wide variety of sandwiches and cookies that no one ever buys. The food here is as you'de expect except it's all over-priced. Expect to pay ten dollars for a sandwich and a soda to go. Still, by Junior year students are thanking god that this haven exists. 3) The Rat: Underneath the LBC sits the "open till 4AM" food stop of hungry drunks and stoners everywhere, Dart Rathskeller! Basically this is your average Wing-Joint with greasy fried chicken strips and burgers a plenty. The food isn't great, and it certainly isn't healthy, but with a good buzz at 2:30 in the morning there is no greater sanctuary. 4) Le Gourmet: And then there's the hipstery, fruity sandwich shop. I'm not cool enough to eat here. Also they charge like three dollars for a soda and my momma didn't raise no fool.

People think that this a party school with tons of jews at it...It is. The best I can argue is that there is much more than to see. You just might need to do quite a bit of digging.

Most of Tulane on-campus programming is pretty quiet (they do, after-all have to compete with New Orleans!) Yet once a year in the Spring, Crawfest roles in and it's awesome! Basically for ten dollars you receive admission to music festival crossed with an all-you-can-eat crawfish buffet.Local bands play, food comes by the bucket load (literally) and everyone enjoys cold beverages while sun-bathing on the grass. It's gotten so big that outsiders actually pay extra to get in on the fun. It's a great time to enjoy the last few weeks of the year and remember how damn fun this place is.

I really like the party culture at this school. The weather is pretty good when it isn't raining, and the classes are usually fine, but that's all to be expected. I presume it's mostly students reading this and you get plenty of that nonsense from the tour (I'm bitter. I lost out on being a tour guide due to my inability to walk backwards in sandals). There are two major party streets at Tulane. Broadway, and Maple. Broadway is the frat-row if you will, and as a Freshman you will likely spend much time there because hey, free booze! About four blocks down Broadway one will reach Maple. Maple holds about seven bars, four of which you will ever step foot in. These bars all are very college with loud, bad music, and cheap yet poorly made drinks. If you crave the college experience, it's hard to beat finding yourself in a trashy dive- bar at 2 AM singing along to Journey with your best friends. There's also the Boot...I'll let you figure that one out. The reason the party scene is so nice is that it's close, yet isolated. I constantly hear complaints from friends at other schools that on Friday Nights it can be impossible to study with all the music and partying going on around them. That doesn't happen at Tulane. Because the bars and parties are always so close, there's no need or want to have parties in the dorms. Sure, as a freshmen you will still have the occasional ****-show in the dorms, but rarely enough that it still stays fun. When you really need to study however, there are plenty of quiet safe havens where there will be no temptation to break focus. See, what I did there? I just justified the party scene in New Orleans. --- On the complaint scale there are a few. First, no one cares about anything here. A couple years ago a highly controversial speaker came to visit. He was a former leader of Isreal, and as a result a small Palestinian group took up protest outside the speaking hall. Here's the thing, it's not that people were surprised that they were protesting him, we were surprised that there were protesters at all. Coming from Berkley California, this change in opinion absolutely shocked me. If protest rallies, and Occupy movements sound fun to you, this probably isn't your school. Next, the sports are pretty bad. I write for the sports section of the Tulane newspaper, "The Hullabaloo" and it can be a bummer writing about our seventh football loss in a row. The football team is bad, and even worse, they play in the Super dome downtown. Sometimes under a thousand people show up to "fill" a 80,000 seat building. Even worse is when good schools come to crush us, their away fans show up in droves to party in New Orleans and out-fan us by 3 to 1 or worse. To be fair, the men's baseball team is competitive, and some of our women's programs like tennis, golf, and running are very competitive. Even as a bad D1 program, we are still D1. Lastly, the food situation is pretty bad. There's a dining hall called Bruff that you will come to know quite well. There's also a food court which has the basics - Panda, Quiznos, Bagels, ECT... That's a lot better but as a freshmen you will only be given 250 bucks for that food which runs out quick. I'll put it this way, as a Junior I changed my food package to have 750 food-court bucks...I'm out.

When you step off campus what do you see?

I'm not gonna pull punches here, this is a dangerous school to go to. Not at all on campus, but very much so once you leave the tightly placed grid and venture around. Within the surrounding mile of campus, over ten incidents of robbery at gun-point have occurred. Tulane sends out school-wide E-Mails and at this point it's embarrassing how frequently "two armed black men with silver handguns" have terrified the local community. It's at its worst this year to the point that people not so jokingly wish you not to get mugged if you ever tell them you're going somewhere after six o' clock. It's currently the biggest problem I've seen since getting here.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

I write for the sports section of my newspaper, thus I actually have a real firm grasp of the athletics here. The best I can say is that if you want to play a sport, this is a great place. We are proudly a D1 school and thus have pretty much every sport you can imagine: varsity, club, and intramural. My roommate last year lead his sailing club to the South-East finals, and my buddy just won his intramural dodge-ball game. There is no shortage of competitive, or not-so competitive events for you to live for, or just have fun with. That's the good. --- This is not USC. Hell, it's not even Syracuse or Gonzaga. There is little or no ra-ra attitude about team sports. You're more likely to see a friend at the bar watching the Saints than you ever are to see them at a prep rally or actual game. It's not that people hate sports, it's that because so few people have close ties to New Orleans, and our teams never win so no body bothers. I love sports. SF Giants, Dallas Cowboys, and Olympic curling (oh yes). I just don't have a lot to say about the Wave's chances against Army next week. It all kind of feeds back into what I've said about the general climate here - people just don't care about stuff.

That was my first thought walking around campus. It's fitting that we're the "green wave" because everywhere you go things are nice, sparkly, and green. The school benefits from the 40+ inches of rain each year and it shows. The grass glistens and sparkles (the hotties sunbathing in the spring doesn't hurt). While our school got sunk pretty bad during Katrina, you'd never know it by looking around. The old buildings were all rebuilt to still look old so you get that classic old vs new effect that make College campuses so outstanding. It really is a gorgeous school and one you'd be proud to walk your friends and family around.

What are your classes like?

Tulane is a very competitive school, and thus the classes are usually very good. I've certainly had some stinkers, and you will too, but generally I have been pleased. I recommend using Rate My Professor when choosing between seemingly identical class periods.

As mentioned, Tulane is a surprisingly tranquil school, at least on campus. Even on a Friday night, the actual campus looks little different than usual, besides the occasional drunk group chuckling their way to the bars. Once you reach those bars, however, things are much wilder. This school (and every other party school) like to make the claim that succeeding at a school like this is about balance, and that is absolutely true. This school is one of the top 50 in the Nation and will demand much from you (less so from an English major like me!) It is important to balance fun time with work time, and because the bars and parties are all completely separated by a ten minute walk, that really isn't so hard. The people who can't hack it tend to be gone by Sophomore year, and at that point the parties a little less fun, and getting good grades is a little more important so people tend to chill out. ---- THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DON'T DRINK HERE!!!! There, I had to get it out. Again, you don't have to drink to go here...you might just get some raised eyebrows. If you don't however, it's likely you will still find yourself surrounded by alcohol and in places where people are very drunk. No one will ever pressure you to drink if you don't want to. Again, this is college, peer pressure is for high-school idiots. There are also weekly drink-free events called "Tulane After Dark". They usually sound fun...but I don't think too many people go to them.

This school is very chill. It's a lot of east-coast, white, straight people but that doesn't mean there aren't alternative lifestyles, and that they aren't respected. I came from a super-liberal high-school which brainwashed me into believing that everyone had to tolerate everyone else because that was the law of compassion and sacrifice. I was then shocked when I moved to this much more moderate University and realized no, the reason you respect everyone else is because otherwise you're a jerk who no one will want to talk to. One shouldn't expect big LGBTQ rallies or black power protests because they don't exist. What one should expect is a calm, smart, respectful community which does not really care what you are, so long as you're not bothering anyone else. I like to think the best change between high-school and college is how much people care. In high-school, everyone cares about everything. In college, no one cares about anything, including what you like to do in your free time. That kind of freedom is part of the real reason college (and Tulane) are awesome.

Don't let the location fool you, Tulane is an East-Coast prep school through and through, merely air-lifted to the deep-south. The vast majority of Tulane students come from over 500 miles away, with states like New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut being the most common. If you are from one of those areas and like the social climate, great! Expect more of it here. If you're like me, and stem from the beaches of California...expect a fair amount of culture shock. Expect designer purses on girls, and guys wearing button ups to a dive bar. Also, it needs to be noted, a not-so-proud nickname of Tulane is "Jewlane". Simply put, lots of Jews go here. That wasn't so much a problem for me, but it is certainly something to know before making the leap (can you believe they don't note this all in the tour?) But don't let this suddenly make you scamper off and run. Stereotypes always have counters and Tulane is no exception. There is a healthy nerd population with an active video-game club, and yearly Human Vs. Zombies game. There are the jocks that you will either live with or only see in the dining hall. There are goths, there are preps, and there are guys like me who are just dudes looking to get a degree and have a fun time. There's a niche for everyone.

Caitlin

Tulane seems to offer a place for every type of student. Whether or not you're in Greek life or interested in other activities, its possible for everyone to find their "group." New Orleans itself is hands down one of the bigger positives of going to Tulane. Not only are there numerous opportunities to get involved, but New Orleans also offers a great social scene suited to college life. Students can hear live music, eat amazing food, or just go out with their friends any day of the week; it is really incomparable to any other city in the country. One of the downsides to New Orleans is transportation, while the street car seems fun and accessible in theory, it really isn't an efficient way to get around the city. Not everyone has a car, but they are really useful for jobs,volunteering, internships, etc.By sophomore year you will pretty much recognize every person on campus- so if you're looking for a school where it is easy to remain anonymous Tulane isn't for you. Although it is on the smaller side, it is big enough where you won't have to say hello to every person you pass on the way to class. I personally find the size just right because while I do know a good amount of people, I could always branch out and make more friends. Tulane has a well respected reputation, but you will have to explain many times that we do not spend all of our time in the French Quarter. There is such a thing as the "Tulane Bubble" but it mostly applies to underclassmen who take advantage of the campus' vicinity to bars and other entertainment close by. When on campus students are normally studying in the Business School, Library, or PJs Coffee. Tulane offers a lot of perks for their student body, strangely enough it is not out of the ordinary to see a bouncy castle on one of the quads every Friday night. "Fridays on the Quad" were a great series of concerts and free foods offered during the fall semester right on campus and was a great way to start off the weekend, showing that the administration is committed to keeping the student body happy. One of the negatives to Tulane is the lack of school pride- besides homecoming venturing downtown to the Superdome for a football game is nearly unheard of. Hopefully with the new coach and possible on campus stadium, this will change in the coming years. Another issue students have is the difficulty of studying abroad. While a good portion of students are able to and do go abroad, Tulane's program has its limits and often people will have to settle for their second choice location.

A large portion of the student body is involved in Greek life, although it is not the end all of the social scene. There seems to be a sorority and fraternity for every type of student, and with the addition of two new sororities next year, it is a good opportunity for anyone who would like to take that path. Most people in Greek life are involved in a ton of extra activities proving that Tulane students don't have to be Greek to have a good time. As I said before there are endless opportunities to participate socially with out drinking, but that does not mean the bar scene is not one of the most popular choices. It seems that mostly everyone goes out and enjoys themselves at one or more of the many establishments close to campus. Some people choose to be involved with club sports such as crew or volleyball.

Tulane's student body is very geographically diverse, with many people from the Northeast. From my point of view, everyone should be capable of making and enjoying a group of friends. There are people who can be considered main stream, hipster, or on the far end of the "alternative" spectrum. Even the "frattiest" of Tulane's population wouldn't compare to those in Greek life at a public school. Most students tend to hang out with people who are most like themselves, but there really isn't a "social hierarchy" and everyone gets along. Greek life is a great way to make friends, but it isn't a necessity. We are welcoming two new sororities to our campus next year, making it easier to be Greek if thats the direction you choose. Tulane's student body definitely represents more of the "1%" versus the "99%" but financial background isn't an alienating factor. Most students choose to dress comfortably for class, but its not unusual to dress in more fashionable clothes. Tulane students are driven, especially those in the Business or "B" school. They plan to be successful and involve themselves in activities that will help them in the future.

The first question people ask me when I tell them I go to Tulane is normally,"How do you get any studying done with Bourbon Street so close?" People tend to think that Tulane students are kids with too much money who spend their time partying. While we definitely party, everyone knows that work comes first. Tulane students are more well balanced- they'll get their work done and then go out. A large portion of our student body has some sort of scholarship without unlimited access to their parent's money. Students are normally working, going to school, and extremely social creating a motivated and driven student body.

Zoe

Tulane University has exceeded all my expectations about the college experience. It is one of the most welcoming, spirited and exciting environments a college student could wish for, and I feel so lucky to be a part of it. Going off to college can be a scary or anxious time in a young person’s life, but Tulane’s student population and faculty make it feel like a home away from home. The feeling you get just stepping onto Tulane’s campus is one of warmth and happiness, and it is clear that everyone feels that way. There are always events happening on the quad or in the student center that aim to unify the students as well as the faculty, and are very successful in doing so. The professors are awesome and really take the time to help their students both in and out of class. New Orleans is such an amazing place to live; the rich culture of the city provides an opportunity to absorb knowledge supplementary to our studies and participate in new, fun activities. Community service is a very important part of Tulane’s philosophy and instills in its student a sense of responsibility and desire to help others. The city plays a huge role in the diversity of the student population and is one of Tulane’s defining qualities. I could go on and on about how much I love Tulane University, but there is really no way to put into words how incredibly rewarding attending Tulane is. The best way I can put it is that I feel so fortunate to be at a school where I am truly happy to wake up for class every day, and have made friends and memories that will last a lifetime.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms at Tulane are so great! They provide an awesome way to meet new people, especially during your first year. When I was a freshman I lived in Sharp. I loved being able to walk down the stairs and walk into any of my friends' rooms. Sharp was extremely social and fun. The RA's were great and made of feel comfortable and were always there if we needed help with anything. Now, as a sophomore, I live in Mayer. Mayer is great because I live with my best friend but we each have our own room and just share a bathroom. It is so nice to have our own bathroom and especially to have our own space but still have each other just on the other side of the door. Dorms at Tulane are very nice and I think they are pretty spacious in comparison with other schools. We are so lucky to have such great dorms at Tulane!!

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Unfortunately the sports scene at Tulane is not very big. There is not a huge football following because the team does not win very often. Other sports are starting to gain more of a following on campus such as basketball because the team is doing pretty well so far. What we lack in sports spirit, however, we make up for in school spirit. The study body has lots of Tulane spirit since we all love the school so much. There is also lots of New Orleans spirit, especially when it comes to the New Orleans Saints football team. Students love to watch the games and cheer on the saints when they play. This is our version of a sports scene!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Definitely the library! Although it gets packed sometimes, it is a great quiet environment to get your work done. It is not only an easy place to do work, it is very close to the dorms as well as most off-campus housing, it also is nice to sit and do work with friends. There are many areas depending on if you want to study in silence or with a group. The third and second floor are quiet areas while the first floor is an area where study groups can meet and discuss without disturbing others. There are also many printers and photocopy machines available whenever you need them. The library also has a coffee shop right in the front for students to grab a quick cup of coffee to help them study! The library is my favorite place to study on campus so try it out!!

What's the Greek scene like?

Being a part of Greek Life at Tulane is awesome. I am a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi and I love being part of such a warm and loving group. Every single person in my sorority truly cares about each other and will go out of their way to help each other out. We are always there for our sisters, whether it be to go for dinner, study for an exam, or just for advice. We love to spend time together and have sisterhood events as much as we can fit into our busy schedules. We have great social events such as mixers with the frats, formals and date parties. Not only is AEPHI so special to be a part of but Greek Life in general is really great. As a part of Panhellenic, we join together with the other sororities on campus and participate in many events involving community service or other cultural events that serve to better our sororities. Greek Life provides a venue for students who want to find others with similar interests and get involved in some great and rewarding activities!

One of Tulane’s most notable attributes is the unique nature of its student body. Students come from around the globe to attend Tulane because it is a prestigious and well-rounded university. I’ve always believed that despite the differences that exist between the students, the fact that we all chose to come to Tulane University unites us. We all possess boundless school spirit and display these feelings every day. Everyone at Tulane is extremely friendly and welcomes each other with open arms. The relatively small student body compared to other schools allows for a close-knit group of students that enjoy helping each other despite their level of friendship. As I mentioned earlier, the students here definitely know how to have fun, whether it be activities around New Orleans or concerts on the quad, but also know when to be serious and get work done. The friends I have made here at Tulane are ones I know I will maintain relationships with long after we graduate and continue to make lasting memories. Regardless of the different backgrounds and cultures of the Tulane study body, we are all bonded by our love for Tulane.

While the courses are challenging at Tulane, they are also very interesting and informative. Tulane really caters to the diverse student population by offering so many different options for courses each semester. The classes at Tulane are much smaller than at other colleges, which is a huge advantage; the ratio of students to faculty is 16 to 1. The intimacy provided by the small class size allows the students to create relationships with their professors and get to know them more easily. Tulane has wonderful professors who are extremely passionate and dedicated to their work. They will always go the extra mile to ensure that their students are learning as much as possible and that each student feels that their efforts are acknowledged. All professors offer designated office hours for students to come get one-on-one extra help if they are struggling or missed class. Professors are very flexible and will always make an individual appointment with you if you are unable to attend the assigned office hours. Tulane University epitomizes the word hard, play hard attitude. You will always find students studying in the library but we definitely know how to have a good time! Of course school can get frustrating and stressful during midterms or finals, but Tulane University manages to make learning fun and I know that is something every student at Tulane would agree on!

Tulane University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.