Tulane University of Louisiana

« See more reviews of Tulane University of Louisiana

I think people miss the point that even though the people who go out party hard, just like any other college there is a significant contingency of students who don't party at all. There's plenty of other things to do in New Orleans that doesn't involve partying, although alcohol can make your experience more enjoyable! The other thing outsiders don't realize is that students work hard and get their responsibilities done, which makes partying that much more enjoyable - and the partying isn't an end, but rather a means for a good time. While Tulane is indeed a private school, that doesn't mean only rich kids go here. In fact, the new allure to Tulane is that there are so many scholarships offered, so that people who could not previously afford it are enrolling. The fact that we are a private school, as a matter of fact, makes for a very ecclectic student body, including a healthy international percentage.

There are definitely some students who fit this stereotypical profile, but there are also many people who break the mold, making a beautifully diverse student body. It is true that 30% of the population is Jewish, but the students come from all over the place. However, it seems most of them come from the Northeast. It is not the prestigious souther school to go to if you are looking for southern hospitality. While there are students from the area in attendance, they by no means make up the majority, making Tulane more like a northern school that got dropped from the sky into the middle of New Orleans. Tulane gives thousands of dollars in scholarship and financial aid, so you will see students from all economic backgrounds at all times of day and night studying to keep their scholarships.

I think that Tulane has a great extracurricular scene, whether it be things like Greek parties or going out in one of the most fun cities in the U.S. (New Orleans). There are a lot of students who drink and "party" but no one is confined to doing any one activity, and there are tons of different things people can do to have fun. There are a lot of privileged students at Tulane, but this is the same as anywhere, especially private schools. College costs a ton of money, and if you aren't on a good scholarship, chances are that your family has money. Some students, like all populations, don't have the best or most welcome attitudes, but if you don't like those types of people, don't hang out with them. That's what I do!

Unfortunately it seems that most of them are. There is a lot of heavy drinking, but most people seem fairly successful academically. While there are obviously exceptions, going to any traditionally Tulane bar or frat party will expose you extreme sexual callousness and depravity from both genders. Its more degrading to women, unfortunately, but guys are just as responsible, if not more so. I have heard it said that statistically we are the school with the 3rd highest rate of STD's in the whole country, but that's only hearsay.

Many are, and that is to me a sad thing. Stereotypes are based off of a small part of truth. However the will to remove Stereotypes from people there is a very small amount there and is in NO way the levels that are needed. It is like asking a person many states away or in a place so far from you are how the wheather is there. Be ready to ask the question "WHAT???" many times a day asking for PROOF for everything and TRUST in others will be killed off slowly in many if not everyone.

there are a large handful of people that fit these but i found so many amazing people and have made great friends. these people are just the few people that are always out ever night so it seems like there are more of the stuck up people than there really are. make friends in class and the dorms and there are so many different types of people i dont' think tulane's population can fit one stereotype if you make the effort to meet various groups of people.

There is definitely a large drinking, partying culture, and there is a prominent population of wealthy students. However, people from Tulane are from lots of different backgrounds just like everywhere. There are extremely academically motivated students as well as students who are intellectual sophisticated. Just don't look for that at the frat houses.

The only stereotype I can think of for Tulane is "Jewlane," due to the high number of Jewish people that attend. I don't think that's exactly accurate though. While, yes, a number of students at Tulane are Jewish (there are two Jewish centers for Tulane), there are many other types of people present.

Most, if not all, students are Tulane are academically smart so yes that one is correct! Also while a good many students do go out and party most of the time, there is a large percentage of the student body that do not all the time, which makes that one incorrect!

Not to the extent that people truly believe. Granted, there are a lot of douche bags but most of them come from the northeast (I know, I am from New Jersey). The rest of the school is very laid-back, easy-going and fun-loving.