Tulane University of Louisiana Top Questions

Tell us about the food and dining options.

Food is always on the minds of college kids. Unlike some of the bigger schools, we only have one cafeteria, Bruff. Bruff is decent, but not the best. As I've said in another question, check EVERYTHING. The LBC, on the other hand, is pretty good. It has Freshens Smoothies, Lagniappe (which means "a little extra"), Einsteins Bagels, Baja Fresh, Byblos (I think I spelled that right...), Panda Express, Wall of Greens (for salads), and a sushi place. The LBC takes Wavebucks, so you don't have to pay with cash or credit. There is also the Drawing Board Cafe, which I've never been to, in the architecture building. I've heard it's pretty good though. There are 3 different PJs coffees spread around campus: one under Stern (called PJs under Stern. Go figure.), one in the library, and PJs on Willow, which is on Willow Street. They have pretty good coffee, but there is usually a line, so don't go when you're late!

Bruff, the on campus dining hall, was awful for me when I was a freshman. It had very few vegetarian options and it was forced on students - everyone had to buy a mealplan, even students like me who couldn't eat most of the food. So, I decided to buy mostly "wavebucks," a flexible meal plan option that lets you buy food at the other on campus food options instead of the cafeteria. I ate lots of greek food at byblos, a little greek take out place, and tons of tacos at Baja Fresh. Oh, and my weight times ten thousand in bagels and cream cheese. But, the cafeteria has improved since then. Now they have way more options - a big salad bar, a veggie cook, and flat-screen tvs, which actually just annoy me while I eat. But anyways. My favorite place on campus to eat is called Le Gourmet. It's a little more expensive than the other options but they sell organic, gluten free, and natural snack options and they make seriously awesome paninis. They also sell healthy prepared foods to take home and microwave in your dorm. Oh my god I'm so hungry just thinking about their tomato pest mozzarella panini. Why did I have to think about it! Got to go make myself a sandwich now.

The food ON campus is not good at all. Our main dining option, Bruff, sucks. It really does. Freshman will love it at first, until they realize it is the exact same food every week and that it is always a hit or miss. We also have the LBC or Le Gourmet, food options that you can use your "wavebucks" on (not unlimited like Bruff can be). Those choices are a lot better than Bruff, but you get sick of them very easily. I like about 3 things at the LBC and 2 things at Le Gourmet. There is only so many times I can eat these things in a week...It gets really old really fast. But the OFF campus dining is amazing. The New Orleans style food is delicious, so I try to eat off campus as frequently as possible!

There are quite a few dining options so I'll start with the worst first. 1) Bruff--- the kinda gross cafeteria. They sometimes have good fries, and pizza. Other than that, most people avoid it after Freshman or Sophomore year. Though, they do have waffle makers available at anytime and you can make your own waffles, plus and ice cream freezer so you can eat your delicious waffles with ice cream. In terms of healthy food though, they're severely lacking. 2) The LBC- this has a bunch of food places, Panda Express, Baja Fresh, bagels, sandwiches etc. It's right near the book store and a lot of people eat there. 3) PJs- coffee shops, which provide the exhausted student with delicious coffee in the library, near the dorms, and under the science building on your way to almost every class you have, there will be a PJs. And they are fantastic. 4) NOLA Bucks- this is money that you can spend at some of the places that aren't owned by Tulane but do surround campus, and you can get pizza, crepes (yum) and some other places without spending anymore money. Great for ordering to your dorm with friends or all going out to dinner. Students have a few other on campus dining options but those are less popular. They can also go to 'Luff' (Loyola Bruff, meaning the cafeteria at the college next door). which has a reputation for being far better than ours.

There are four places to eat on campus. 1) Bruff: Bruff is the super generic dining hall which Freshmen will find themselves in more than they'll ever care for. The food is plain, greasy, and not particularly enjoyable. There are also big TV's all over the place that play really bad top-40 music that always seems to be about 10 decibels too loud. Still, everyone has a soft spot for Bruff and I personally had a lot of really good times there sitting with friends and meeting new ones. 2) The LBC: The LBC is the food-court on campus. The selections are: bagels, pasta, sushi, smoothies, Panda Express, Quiznos, Byblos (greek food), Baja Fresh, and a wide variety of sandwiches and cookies that no one ever buys. The food here is as you'de expect except it's all over-priced. Expect to pay ten dollars for a sandwich and a soda to go. Still, by Junior year students are thanking god that this haven exists. 3) The Rat: Underneath the LBC sits the "open till 4AM" food stop of hungry drunks and stoners everywhere, Dart Rathskeller! Basically this is your average Wing-Joint with greasy fried chicken strips and burgers a plenty. The food isn't great, and it certainly isn't healthy, but with a good buzz at 2:30 in the morning there is no greater sanctuary. 4) Le Gourmet: And then there's the hipstery, fruity sandwich shop. I'm not cool enough to eat here. Also they charge like three dollars for a soda and my momma didn't raise no fool.

Terribly overpriced. Nobody here notices it, but the school is actually making lots of money off of its students. I always expected a university to subsidize its on-campus food prices, as it is a pretty big part of campus life. Nope, here they jack up the prices. Smart, but just plain horrible. I don't bother anymore, I go home to cook. If you're rich, the options aren't terrible.

Tulane students have a love-hate relationship with Bruff.