Tulane University of Louisiana

« See more reviews of Tulane University of Louisiana

What are your classes like?

My classes are great, this semester I'm in Ballet, Anthropology of Women and Men, Adolescent Psychology, Developmental Psychopathology, Nursery School Observation and an English class in a special topic that talks about pain and atrocities in literature and popular culture. The classes are extremely diverse, requiring different levels of attendance, participation and outside of class work along with their extremely different subjects. I really enjoy them all this semester and I think as you finish with your general ed classes and focus on things you're interested in, most people are really happy with their schedules by junior and senior year.

Most of my classes are fairly small, but many of the required courses are very large lectures with up to 200 people. These classes are often fairly easy, so I have not seen this as a problem in the past. As a Film Studies major and an English major specializing in Creative Writing, most of my classes are around 3 hours a session, once or twice a week. This makes for really intense schedules. However, most of the 3 hour classes are fairly interesting as they usually include both a film screening and a lecture, or they are a workshop class such as Screenwriting or Advanced Poetry.

Right now I'm in almost all science and math classes. I will say they are pretty intense, but nothing actually reading for and taking time to study can't handle. I'm also currently in German 101, and I absolutely love it. The teachers are extremely helpful and knowledgable in all my classes, and they are always available via email or office hours. I won't, however, recommend taking 19 hours of almost pure sciences. As I said earlier they are pretty time consuming. Try to space them out a little!

My classes are hard. Second year seems much harder than first year, for sure. I am currently in finals and using this as my procrastination right now! For a final I usually study for three full days before an exam, sometimes even more depending on the course. Some of my classes have papers due instead of a written exam. I like this better format a lot better.

Tulane is a very competitive school, and thus the classes are usually very good. I've certainly had some stinkers, and you will too, but generally I have been pleased. I recommend using Rate My Professor when choosing between seemingly identical class periods.

Small :)