Tulane University of Louisiana Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Tulane University of Louisiana

haley

If you love a s school that is very involved then Tulane is a great choice. Because it is located in New Orleans it does a great job in participating with the food, culture, and people of the city. The play hard attitude also has its work hard time. But most teachers are easily accessible. And the school has many resources to ensure you are a successful student.

Katie

Have absolutely nothing but good things to say about Tulane. Small classes, brilliant professors, beautiful weather, an amazing city, fantastic volunteer opportunities, and a great career center are only some of the incredible services you'll encounter here. It doesn't matter if you're involved in Greek life, but it's an option, and a pretty low-key one for a Southern school. Students here are involved and care about issues on campus, locally, and nationally. Administration is responsive to concerns. We have great events on campus such as Crawfest and obviously the opportunity to seek off-campus culture. Can't imagine my life without Tulane, roll wave.

Olawale

Am academic and diversity proven institution.

Kennedy

Tulane is a good academic school. The teachers are all have office hours, and there are many other opportunities for students to get help with their schoolwork. As for majors, Tulane's business programs stand out, while its STEM majors are lackluster. There is a lot of partying at this school, but students know how to balance it all out. Commuting to the school and staying on campus are two very different things. If you want to be active in the Tulane community, it would be best to stay on campus. Having good friendships with other students can be hard for commuter students.

Riley

During my short time at Tulane, I have already been able to pursue my passions for both math and music, work side by side with peers and professors that share my same thirst for knowledge and success, and complete solutions-oriented volunteer work in the New Orleans community. The individuals at this university, whether they be students, teachers, or staff in the dining hall, are committed to being the best possible versions of themselves and helping others to do the same. Every day here affirms that I picked the right school. From the student culture to wealth of opportunities, Tulane is a truly amazing place.

Sadie

I am only a rising sophomore, and my freshman year was very different from high school. I found the academics to be the strong point of the university. Many of my professors (mostly in the school of Liberal Arts) have been wonderful, intelligent, and excited to teach, however some of my friends in STEM courses have complained about less than great professors. The open curriculum allows you to take classes in different schools, which is wonderful. I think it is worth noting that much of the social scene revolves around drinking.

Galit

Tulane is a great school. You receive a wonderful eduction from professors who are engaging and eager to become your friends in and outside of the classroom. It's not uncommon to see students getting lunch or coffee with their professors around campus, or even getting a drink at one of the favorite local bars. The school does have some gen ed requirements, but overall it is a very flexible curriculum. Many students have multiple majors or minors (double major with a minor or single major and triple minor are common) since the departments are very accommodating in accepting classes from other departments to count towards a major/minor. New Orleans is also filled with culture that can't be found anywhere else. It takes only 15 minutes to get to the French Quarter and Frenchman Street for great music and art. There are also a ton of festivals and any day you can find something exciting to do. Many events usually revolve around food (the creole tomato festival and the po'boy festival are just two examples) and there are hundreds of amazing places to eat downtown and also closer to campus. Although the school is located near all of the favorite NOLA attractions, Tulane is also very good at bringing New Orleans culture straight to campus. One of the biggest events of the year is Crawfest in the Spring where the thousands of pounds of crawfish are brought in and the entire quad turns into a big crawfish boil with live jazz bands. New Orleans is of course known for its' parties and students have a very active night life. Most bars near campus allow anyone over 18 to enter and are officially 21+ to drink of course but once you are in they aren't very good or don't seem to care much about regulating that rule. Most underclassmen hang out around campus while upperclassmen explore bars are clubs around the city where you have to be 21 to get in. Most friday nights fraternities throw parties at their houses and all of the greek houses are right next to campus and the local bars, so students will wander between the bars and houses those nights. Overall Tulane is a great place to go to school not only due to the wonderful academics but also the vibrant culture and city.

Alexandra

I love Tulane. I'm very happy with my decision to attend this university. It is well known for its academics, and it is a really great school. But there is also a large enough social scene to find the balance between academic life and social life. It truly is the perfect school.

Olivia

Tulane is a beautiful school and it is very in tune with New Orleans culture. There is a lot to experience here in New Orleans and there is never a night where you cannot find something to do. If you are not into the partying scene, it may be a little harder to make friends, but the school is still academically worthwhile. There is also a college next door, Loyola, where you can make friends as well. We have full access to all of their facilities, so it is almost like attending two schools at once! I had a hard time adjusting to being surrounded by people who were very wealthy but there are a lot of options for on-campus jobs for those on scholarship. However, if you are not sure of your major, you may feel a little restricted here in options. Do your research! Overall, I do not regret my choice! I love Tulane and would definitely recommend the school to students pursuing certain majors.

Keara

While it's not perfect, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It has a lot of room to grow and improve. I don't regret picking this as my dream college in the slightest. I've had bad moments, sure. Some that made it feel like the weight if the world was coming down on my shoulders. But I've also had a lot of good moments. I've gone through a lot of self-discovery here and been able to take steps towards my "best me". I really do love Tulane.

Bethany

I love Tulane. Considering I jumped in at the beginning of the spring semester, I adjusted well. Everyone is welcoming and inviting. Classes are interesting and require reading or homework, but nothing unmanageable. New Orleans itself is an amazing city to live in and I recommend everyone if not living here, at least visiting for a week.

It is hard not to have a good time at Tulane. The city of New Orleans is practically Disneyland for college students. There is always something to do, whether it is on or off campus. That being said, Tulane does have many flaws. Located in a city so cultured and diverse, Tulane University is surprisingly homogeneous. The university advertises itself as having a diverse campus; while there are many international students, as well as students representing all 50 states, the school noticeably lacks in socioeconomic and ethnic variation. In addition, in recruiting students, Tulane portrays a campus climate in which all "Tulanians" are all highly involved in the New Orleans community. Again, this is incorrect advertising. Tulane University is very much in its own bubble. While community service hours are mandatory for all students and the university holds a few community-wide events, students are not integrated to the point where they might perceive themselves as members of the city. Tulane students largely view themselves as visitors: here to have a good time and then go home. To be fair, being involved off-campus is hard when students are required to live on-campus their first two years and are charged extraordinary parking fees. That being said, the Tulane staff make it a point to recognize any and all concerns students have, and actively seek to improve them. The faculty are all extremely supportive, and truly care about the success of their students. Arguably the greatest benefit offered by this institution is the academic flexibility: students can combine any number of degrees and majors together, if they so wish, with few restrictions. Tulane students are all very active on campus and eager to achieve, and the atmosphere is genuinely a happy one. If one can overlook the imprecise visage that Tulane recruiters create and can see the university for what it truly is, I bet any student will fall in love with it just as much as I have.

Benton

I have found my home at Tulane. I was initially wary of the party culture once I enrolled, but I quickly found out that Tulane is a lot more than just a high ranking of a party school. I love the challenging academic culture of the school and there feels like there is always something to do on campus. My professors (for the most part) are accessible, approachable, and intelligent. I enjoy my classes, my major, my friends, and my dorm. Housing isn't the nicest, but the weather and elements in New Orleans also contributes to their deterioration. The food is average but easily accessible. I adore Tulane. Roll wave!

m

It is an experience you can't get anywhere else. Great school, city and experience. They need to focus on campus career fairs and attracting companies to recruit their graduates. The only student that get proper career counseling and job placement are the ones in the Business School because of wealthy donors and alumni. Everyone else is left clueless as to how and where to look for employment after they graduate. This is true even after completing their new career development classes.

Maya

I love the culture of New Orleans and I love the campus! The party scene gets to big a little much for me, especially first semester of freshmen year when everyone feels the need to go out to impress everyone else, but by second semester things have settled down. The Greek life seems loyal but isn't huge on campus - as a student who doesn't participate, I see girls loyal to their sororities but not shoving it in my face. I LOVE ALL THE PROFESSORS AND CLASSES. Class size is perfect and I really feel connected to many of my professors. I love my school and I love my new city!!!

Lexi

I absolutely love this school! I went by chance and I found a great group of friends, a solid support of upperclassmen willing to help out the freshman, a plethora of clubs and extracurriculars, great weather, and informative classes. I currently have a 4.0 after managing 8 classes; anything is possible at Tulane!

Lucy

Tulane University provides many great opportunities to get involved in anything that interests you. Academic life is challenging, but not competitive. The campus is beautiful and safe, and its location in the incredible city of New Orleans cannot be beat.

There are a lot of issues with Tulane surrounding social issues such as rape culture on campus, but the experiences I had with school officials were quick and relatively painless when it came to dealing with an issue I had in this field. They are also open to exploring new options to correct these matters and definitely taking steps to right these issues. There are also issues I have with how on campus housing is run and how much it costs as it is a bit pricey. The meal plans are also extremely expensive even though there aren't many options for people looking to eat healthier or with dietary restrictions.

Kyra

Tulane is the perfect school for many people. The party scene is huge so there's always something to do on weekend nights. The academics are arguably easy, depending on how much you care. I struggled academically in high school and easily pulled a 4.0 my first year. People are definitely involved in extracurriculars; making an intramural sports team with a group of friends can be a lot of fun. The one major disappointment about Tulane is the lack of integration of students into New Orleans. Tulane was sold to me as an opportunity to being a life in the city, when in reality most students don't leave the campus/audobon area for their first two years other than to get brunch at Willa Jean.

Gref

Very unsafe area. Students get robbed in broad daylight in their homes, dorma, and library. Crime is under reported. Unsafe city overall. Poor infrastructure. Louisiana is one of the poorest states and it shows. Never recovered after Katrina.

Cathy

I was interested in visiting Tulane University to see whether or not it was a school for me. I was given the opportunity to visit the campus on February 6, 2017 with my mom. The campus guide was very helpful and informative. The university campus was very scenic. The gym was nice as well with a wide variety of machines to work out on and a big swimming pool. However, some of the dormitory buildings seemed a bit worn. During the campus tour, the guide informed the group that Tulane offers a shuttle service, which sounded useful for students. Overall, Tulane University exceeded my expectations and the school environment was very welcoming.

Daryan

Tulane is an academic wonderland. It is located in one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world and provides plenty of opportunities to get involved. Tulane also provides community service to New Orleans and makes sure that its students give back to their community. I have yet to meet a single person, student or professor, who is not friendly and helpful. The classes are perfectly sized and the professor to student ratio is ideal. While a course may be difficult, Tulane offers free tutoring to insure its students succeed academically.

Clark

Best time of my life. Would not have gone any where else. This school is the perfect mix of everything you want and need in an undergraduate education.

Daniel

Tulane University is overall a good university. The academics are rigorous, the faculty is well-known for its research in many different fields (students can also help faculty with research), and the student community is close-knit. There is a strong party culture at the university. Tulane's administration has recently tried to crack down on student drinking and has also started to implement stricter rules on the campus's Greek life. Tulane being located in New Orleans probably contributes to the party culture of campus (what with Mardi Gras and all), but really the city offers many opportunities for students to explore. New Orleans has museums, music and food festivals, art galleries, cultural and historical significance, and plenty of amazing food to try.

Sophie

I love Tulane. It's a wonderful university with rigorous academics and a beautiful campus, all in the heart of one of the most unique cities in the country. Tulane is like no other school, as no other school quite embraces and epitomizes the culture of the city around it. New Orleans is an incredible place to attend college, but New Orleans is not interchangeable with Tulane. Tulane has its own culture that differs from that of New Orleans. While Tulane has a reputation for being a "play hard" school, it also a reputable academic institution with world-renowned professors and a plethora of interesting, unique classes, filled with genuinely engaged students. If you're looking for a school in a magical city, filled with as much fun as intellect, Tulane is for you.

Eleanor

I like it! Tulane is a great university with a multitude of opportunities available for its students. Professors are always willing to help and take great interest in their students. The party culture can get overwhelming at times, but New Orleans is a great city and is very fun to explore.

Marie

When I visited Tulane University with my school, I was impressed by the campus and what it had to offer. The students seem to be very connected and have great relationships while still being a larger school. It is important to note that this is a huge party school but they do embrace it. There is a lot of encouragement to be social and connected in the community.

Grace

Tulane is a great school in a unique city, but like any school, it could improve. The academics are rigorous but manageable. I think that there are some really interesting and thought-provoking classes offered here such as musical cultures in the Gulf South or theater in contemporary society. The professors are approachable and friendly. I have sensed that most professors care about a student's success. As a freshman, I can't say that I've met a professor who has truly inspired me, but I've heard from upperclassmen about some really impassioned ones. The social life on Tulane can be great. There are a lot of clubs offered. I'm in mixed martial arts club, which is so much fun. There are always events going on so you can only be bored if you are trying to be bored. Of course Tulane being in New Orleans, there is a lot of partying. I personally think this is where Tulane could improve. I don't think that there should necessarily be less partying, but I think there needs to be smarter partying, especially concerning alcohol. I think there are too many weekends where an ambulance comes to campus to help a drunk person. Politically, Tulane is fairly liberal although maybe not compared to a campus in New York City. I personally like a leaning liberal school where you can still find opposing views. Many people I talk with complain about the injustices of the world, especially mass incarceration, racism, sexism, privilege, especially white privilege, and more. I definitely believe that these topics must be discussed and we must recognize when we say something derogatory or that by going to Tulane means we have privilege. However, I struggle with these discussions too because complaining does not get you very far. I see too often that people complain, but don't offer any solutions. I also think that as politically active as Tulane students are, I would like to see more efforts to do something proactive to make a difference rather than protest or march, both which I fully support, but then there needs to be more follow up to continue pushing for change. All in all, I'm very happy at Tulane. I've found a great group of friends, I enjoy putting in the work for class, and I have time to do fun activities during the week and weekend.

Ella

The best part of Tulane is its location. Nothing compares to going to school in New Orleans. You're surrounded by amazing local culture, some of the best art, music and food in the country, an amazing night scene and beautiful scenery. Tulane itself as a university isn't extraordinary in terms of academics, but it's definitely good, and the experience of learning in new Orleans more than makes up for it.

Good school and I feel very comfortable there. Not as academically rigorous as I was led to believe. I was hoping to be immersed in the culture of Louisiana on a daily basis but what I have found is that most of the students are from the northeast where I grew up.

Towela

Tulane University is a great school to go to if you're into academics and social scene. I would not recommend it for the scholarly hermit types (such as myself) as it can be easy to feel overwhelmed by the school's social leanings. That being said, the financial aid is amazing and the school really encourages you to get involved in the community.

Sam

At Tulane University there are an endless supply of resources. Need help with your writing skills? There is a workshop for that. Struggling with academics? There are advisers and tutors available for you. There is always someone to help you with anything. The campus is majorly involved and welcoming and has a great sense of pride.

Emma

As a Louisiana resident, I've only ever heard amazing things about Tulane University. The only critique most people had was the lack of diversity, which made me not even want to apply to Tulane. I went to an extremely diverse high school, so I couldn't imagine being in a homogeneous environment. However, after visiting Tulane University, I learned that they are actively trying to become more inclusive and more diverse. Needless to say, Tulane became my top choice after that visit.

Alexandra

Tulane is the best school ever. I do not regret attending this school at all. If I ever have kids I want them to attend Tulane. I have grown so much as a person and will cherish these last 4 years for the rest of my life. Every person should look into Tulane because it is in the heart of New Orleans which is one of the most culturally rich cities in the United States.

Gabriel

It is a very good university with a great balance in academics, extracurriculars, arts, etc. Tulane offers the ability to combine your major with other fields, so you are not limited to one field of study and have a good chance of combining several things you like. It also has great facilities and teachers.

I love Tulane University with all my heart and truly believe it is one of the best universities in the country and the best fit for me. I have never once regretted my decision to attend and still have the same love and respect for Tulane I felt during the first few weeks of freshman year. The academics, campus, social scene and all other defining characteristics are top-notch at all times. I have grown as both a student and a young woman during my past years at Tulane University and in the city of New Orleans. I would not change anything about myself, my university, and my time if given another choice.

Brianna

Tulane University is a wonderful institute that cultures learning and student life. The many times I have been on campus the culture there is amazing. There are students exercising, playing sports, or studying. The students seem extremely happy and proud to attend such a wonderful university.

cass

I think the campus and nearby area is beautiful, however, sometimes the campus culture is not. It is not very racially diverse, with over 70 percent of the student body being white. This means that the opinions that get voiced the most and are listened to are opinions that typically ignore students of color, which causes a very whitewashed atmosphere. The opportunities to get involved are very prevalent though, with a requirement that freshmen must be in two clubs at least. This is very good for keeping students involved and included in the school community.

Kit

I hope everyone is safe and healthy during these extraordinary times. I am a graduating senior at Tulane University. Over the course of this past year, as part of my entrepreneurship class, I have been working to develop a service that helps prospective and incoming students learn about why, specifically, they are a strong fit for Tulane University. We’ve all been through the process of touring and choosing colleges ourselves. And we know that colleges are increasingly supplying virtual resources for students to get to know their schools in the Age of Coronavirus. However, one perennial complaint many students have is that they don’t get to really talk to students LIKE THEMSELVES who chose Tulane for the same reasons they did. For example, they might be students passionate about public health and the soccer team. Or they might be community service focused students who are interested in serving the underprivileged of New Orleans while preparing for a career as a socially responsible entrepreneur. Through our platform, StuView, we are able to connect prospective Tulane students with students currently attending the university based on both parties’ academic, extracurricular, and social interests. Prospective students who are seriously considering Tulane can chat virtually with someone at the university who matches their interests and profile closely. With our diverse pool of 140+ Tulane student ambassadors, we are always able to identify a great match for every new StuView user. Once that match is made, we connect the two over a Zoom video-chat, so that the prospective student is able to receive an accurate and transparent view of what their life will be like at the university. Check out our website at: StuView.me In times like these, we want to help support our higher education community as much as possible. Thus, currently, we are not requiring our high school families to pay a dime to speak with Tulane students. Instead, our services are donation-based, and all proceeds will go towards supporting New Orleans charities and small businesses during the COVID nightmare. This, in turn, enables our team to collect data that will help us refine our offerings and expand our services to other higher education institutions around the nation. Again, we really hope this could be a value add to any student or parent considering Tulane. If you know anyone who could benefit from this service, please refer them to StuView.me. Through our platform, they will be able to easily schedule a Zoom call at any time that is convenient for them. The user will be prompted to fill out a survey about themselves so we can best match them with one of our 140+ ambassadors! Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions at all. We appreciate you!

Talazia

Overall, Tulane University is a good learning environment for college students. Although it can get hot and humid in New Orleans, the campus is beautiful and just the right size for walkers and bike-riders. The atmosphere is fun and easy going even during exam time because there are events to help students cope with the stress. I enjoyed my first year at Tulane and I look forward to the upcoming years.

Claire

Tulane is for ugly guys and ugly girls that just want to party and fit in. They're smart, but don't want to work hard for anything they want it handed to them.

Gaby

I applied because of the amazing architecture program that was offered almost nowhere else. It was only of the only schools that did not require a portfolio to apply. When I first saw the campus, it was beautiful the grounds are taken care of and the buildings are historic. There is a huge partying culture that I wasn't expecting to find but academics is balanced beautifully with the partying.

Overall, Tulane is an amazing school for academics, especially liberal arts or business. Not so much for STEM majors though. There is an amazing emphasis on mental health, and the student body is extremely accomplished. People still are great at finding time to socialize though.

Morgan

I'm not sure there are words to express how greatly Tulane changed the course of my life both personally and professionally. I was challenged, encouraged, and then challenged some more. I had the time of my life while continuing to excel academically, as most of the students did. Tulane is not for the faint of heart! You truly learn to live life to the fullest and push yourself intellectually more than you thought possible. While sports are definitely there, there are a huge array of students studying and partaking in every activity and major you can think of. The gym is beyond amazing and I lived in the pool. Professors could always be found outside the classroom and I had many 'meetings' at local coffee houses; there is a casual air about the campus and the professors (although never mistake this for lessened expectations). Living in New Orleans is incredible: alligator cheesecake and beignets, streetcar rides down St. Charles Ave., karaoke on Bourbon Street, Mardi Gras parades, and jogs in Audubon Park. I lived off-campus and there are many neighborhoods right alongside campus where students live together in houses. I was a senior when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and I was forced to leave for a semester while the city rebuilt. I had the opportunity to go to another school for that semester but declined as I couldn't imagine graduating from anywhere else. The moment I saw the Super Dome from the highway as I drove back after the campus opened was like coming home again. Tulane becomes a part of you and what I learned and experienced during my time there has stayed with me and I know will stay with me forever.

Tulane University is itself a reflection of the city in which it lies. Just like the Big Easy, Tulane possesses a never-ending mixture of different cultures, a rich history, and yes, the affinity to have a good time. But perhaps what is most striking about Tulane is the presence of community that is so prevalent throughout all of New Orleans. The first thing I noticed about Tulane is how friendly everybody is, and it’s something that I’m reminded of daily. From the friends you see everyday, to the servers in Bruff Commons who ask you how your day is going every time you step into the dining hall, you will always feel welcome no matter where you go. Tulane even implements its community-focused mindset into the curriculum, as all students are required to take two community service based courses throughout their four years at Tulane. These courses range from tutoring underprivileged kids in a foreign language to running a website for a local nonprofit, and they have been some of my favorite classes that I’ve taken at Tulane, as they truly allow you to get to know New Orleans in a more personal way. In general, there are a wide variety of classes to choose from depending on your major, but they do tend to fill up quickly, so it can be difficult to get your ideal schedule, especially as a freshman. Classes at Tulane are definitely no walk in the park, and they often require a significant amount of independent work and research, but professors are always willing to help if you ask for it. Most professors have very accessible office hours to go over assignments, discuss concepts from class, and even just chat about current events. Despite demanding academic schedules, most Tulane students round out their free time with extracurricular activities. One walk down McCalister Drive on campus will show you the abundance of clubs and societies that Tulane offers, including Greek life, club sports, student council, tour guide ambassadors, and so much more! On weekends, students can often be found venturing out into the French Quarter to explore New Orleans, or by the social pool at the Reily Student Recreation Center to catch a tan. While Tulane doesn’t have great varsity sports teams, the university is still a D1 school, and students will often go out to tailgates and games to be part of the school spirit frenzy. Tulane’s campus is nothing short of gorgeous, boasting live oaks dripping with Spanish moss and gray stone buildings coated in wisteria, but the accommodations themselves are not always as nice. For example, the older dorms often have infrastructural issues and can sometimes flood, and the dining hall can easily become repetitive and bland. However, with all of its quirks and perks, Tulane is truly a place like no other. As the New Orleanians would say, let the good times roll!

Lydia

odifhoif

Mia

Tulane is a good school. Yes, it does indeed live up to the "party-scene" name; however, I don't think most people realize that we also take academics very seriously. We have a low acceptance rate for good reason- you have to study and keep up with work. That being said, there is a very good work hard-play hard balance. I'm very thankful for this school.