Tyler Junior College

« See more reviews of Tyler Junior College

Meet with your counselor to discuss your college plans. Review your schedule with him or her to make sure you're enrolled in challenging classes that will help you prepare for college. Colleges prefer four years of English, history, math, science, and a foreign language. Use College Search to find out the required courses and tests of colleges that you might be interested in attending. Start a calendar with important dates and deadlines. Get more involved with your extracurricular activities. Go to college fairs in your area. Learn about CollegesLearn about college costs and how financial aid works. Use the College Savings Calculator to see how much money you'll need for college, whether you're on track to save enough, and what you need to do to reach your goal. Talk to your parents about financing college. Visit colleges while they're in session. Find out about college firsthand from college friends who are home for the holidays. Prepare for TestsTalk to your counselor and teachers about taking SAT Subject Tests? in your strong subjects this spring. Take Subject Tests such as World History, Biology E/M, and Chemistry while the material is still fresh in your mind.

1995....The year I would arrive and see myself, probably in Mr. Young's Physics class sitting in the back row sneaking some hot tamales candy, while getting ready to take one of his famous pop quizes with Mozart playing in the background. After the probable shock of my past self seeing me appear, I would commence to communicate without any other in the room aware of my presence. I could then inform the scrawny senior sitting in front of me, having his undivided attention, that he has a road in front of him that is going to have a fork in it once high school is finished. This fork, I will tell him, will have a attractive and wide path going to the left that most classmates will travel. This path will have lots of fun without lots of work. Then I will tell him of the path to the right, which is narrower and not as inviting. This path will require determination, committment, and perserverance. Those that take the path to the right will be the ones that become proffessionals in their careers. I will tell this senior to stay on the right path no matter how hard!

First and farmost I would begin by seeking through advisement on how to obtain college credits in high school and scholarships that follow a graduating senior and on coming freshmen to a college campus. I would everyday modivate myself and continue to remind myself that my education is an important asset to my future. During those last months of school as a senior I would try my best not to get too caught up in the mood and excitement about being a senior and graduation but work on enrollment in college. I would shift my excitement from the affairs of high schoolHowimportant it is to go to college and work hard on doing just that. College life brings about much responsibility and I would just prepare myself to say modivated and look at the long term goal that came for the sacrfice of going to college and getting a degree. Being young at this time and still wanting to experience life, I would keep the dream before me as I walk that stage with my head held high and my dream in my hand the degree that took years of my life to achieve.

I would say you need to put a lot more effort in what you do. College life maybe a lot tougher than high school. I would be facing many new challenges once I get there. As they say, it is a whole different world from where I come from. My advice is that you need to know where you are going and where you are getting yourself into. You need to know what obstacles you will need to cross over in college. You need to choose your time, classes, materials, and destination wisely. But most of all, you need to when to say when and when not to go over the limit. Plan ahead, do your homework and research all your materials and sources before you make a final decision. Best of all be sucessful in what you do. Make all the best friends you can while your in college. When you choose classes, choose the ones you feel you can really work with and do not just choose for what you think is good. Always budget yourself and your time. Do not have too much fun and put off your study time. Always be prepared and be on time.

First, I would begin by telling myself about all the wonderful learning experiences I will have. I would tell of the people I would meet, the places I would go and the hoops I would jump through to get there. I would urge myself to strive to do my best and not be afraid to take “the road less traveled”. I would remind myself that there's not enough time in a day to do the things you would like to do and that often times your personal or social life will be put on hold. I would smile as I told myself that reading a text MESSAGE will be reduced to simply reading text. Through all of this, the days grow longer the nights grow shorter, probably because you are up through half of it studying for a test or two. I would tell myself to develop the skill of time management. I would tell myself that it would minimize the stress level and maximize the time you have outside of class. However, I would leave myself with a little encouragement.... reminding me that I CAN do anything I put my mind to. I am more than a conqueror.

In high school I was not only involved in everything but also a leader of most of the programs. I was a top student academically so high school is a great memory for me. When graduation came all of my friends went straight out of high school to big time Universities and so my choice to attend a Junior college was something that embarrassed me. Going back and talking to my high school I would remind myself to be proud to be able to attend college and not be embarrassed. I would want to remind myself that a college education is something most people cannot receive for many reasons and that college is a place where you get to live your dreams and become all that you can and not live in the past but use the past to guide my future. Now I know it was the best decision I could have made to attend Tyler Junior College. It is a great school and is something I am now proud of. I will graduate in the spring with my Associates and will then move to a University to continue my education in becoming a Registered Dietitian.

If I were a high school senior again, I would put more emphasis on studying and time management skills. When I was in high school I did not have to study very much for many of my tests and would do well on them. Once I got to college and had exams, I had to put much more time into my preparation for the exam. This was a difficult adjustment for me because I was working at a job in the evenings as well. Now, I would take the exam more seriously and budget my time better so that I began working on the project or studying days in advance. Making good grades are important to me and I know that in college I must work harder in order to maintain a high average for the career area I want to pursue. I know that my teachers in high school tried to prepare me for college, but it had to be up to me to put forth the effort to do well. College has shown me that I have to put time and effort into my studies if I want to succeed as an engineer.

First off, I went to Baylor University right out of high school. I grew up in a little town of only 400 people, so moving up to Waco and going to such a large school proved to be a struggle for me. The classes were so packed and I didn't get the help I needed from my professors. Also, the campus was hard to navigate. At Tyler Junior College, things are much easier for me. It is much easier to get around campus, the classes are smaller, and I am not afraid to ask my professors for help. And best of all, the professors are not too busy to provide me with the help I need. It is just altogether a better experience. So if I could talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to go to Tyler Junior College first so that I would have had a great first year experience, rather than having a horrible one that caused me to stay out of school for three years.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, from the very begnning of the year I would tell myself to sign up for college classes while in high school to get a few out of the way. I would tell myself that its not much different from high school and the transition is easy, and that you need to apply for every scholarship on gladewater highs website so you can help pay for school. you learn how to be so much more responisble for yourself and actually enjoy class because you spend less time there. I would tell myself that 8 a.m classes are not that bad, and neither are 8 pm classes. I would also want myself to know that life gets a little harder, and you meet people, and have temptions that make you want to quit, don't let those get to you, keep striving and never loose sight of why you are going to college.

If I could go back to high school as a senior, I would have explored my options more. I would have researched and talked to professionals. I did not even know that the profession I am pursuing existed! It takes experience to understand the need for finding a career that suits you. I knew I wanted to work outside I love technology. Only after being "out in the real world" for a few years did I discover a career path that would fit my life and that I would enjoy so much. If I could go back, I would encourage myself to get the core classes done and then take some time, maybe a year or two to find out what you love. That way, you would have your bases covered and then you can figure out what direction you want to go. It helps to start with college to aid in the transition and navigate all the new found freedoms and responsibility.