Barbourville, KY
Union College-Barbourville

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Union College-Barbourville

Drema

Union College in Barbourville is an amazing school to attend. There are many opportunities to join sports or clubs and they always have an event going on. I am currently wanting to join the education program and every teacher I have encountered so far has been super helpful and always glad to give their opinion on something. It is truly a school that makes me feel at home and comfortable.

Corey

My past football coach took me to tour Union when I was a high school senior. Although, I didn't choose it initially, I recently transferred there after receiving my associates degree of science at a community college. I am currently playing football and staying at a dorm on campus. I feel I will receive a good education there. Love the smalltown feel.

Vernon

I love the small-town feel of Union. Makes me feel like I am back home in Berea. I wish more students could experience the great time of being a Bulldog, because there are so many amazing professors who are more than willing to go out of their way to give you their best.

Antonio

Union College is located in a small town, it has a nice and well kept landscape. The classroom size are small and the professors are usually avaliable if you need help. The campus food is not all that great. Wish there was more choices to chose from.

Corey

My classmates are also my team mates and are like family. There is a closeness at Union within your classes and throughout campus.

It is small so the classes are smaller and you get a lot of one on one attention with the professors.

Enjoy your time in high school. Learn good study habits. Even if you get a good grade that doesn’t necessarily translate into good study habits when you are on your own in a college setting. It is important to learn study skills just as much as it is to learn a language and those math equations. There is a lot of pressure in high school to take advance classes but research your major and school to know if it is needed. It really is important to visit the school and even spend the night on campus if possible and sit in on a class. There are a lot of good schools out there. Don’t feel pressure to go to the big schools or where your parents went or where all your friends are going. Be honest with yourself and know if you can do well in a big school environment or know you need a smaller class setting. You will get home sick and that’s okay if you go away to school. It isn’t the end of the world and you will get through it and feel great about yourself when you do.

If I could go back in time to my high school self the main advice I would give myself is to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Money has become a big issue for me in finishing college and if I could go back I would have planned better and tried even harder. I would also tell myself to visit more colleges and get a better feel for the atmospheres at them before choosing the college. Before attending union college I went to another school, I only went there because most of my high school friends were going to attend this school. If I could go back I would tell myself to pick the school that best suited me and my career path, not the school that my friends were attending.

Union college is a really good school for athletes and students that are used to a smaller school.

The thing I would brag about most about union college is the small class sizes. I love being in a classroom and by the end of that semester knowing everyone in the room on a personal level. It is a small campus atmosphere and you really feel like an important member of the college.

Renee

Make sure you make the best of your college experience. Take all the good and bad things that might happen and think about how the experiences can shape you into who you want to be later in life. Take for advantage of social activities and be apart of the college community. Try things you never thought you could do and challenge yourself.

Social activities and involvement in the community

There are definitely a good amount of things that I wish I would have known to be able to make a better college choice for myself. Actually, I'm in the middle of trying to transfer for the start of my sophomore year, in the fall of 2010. I was a little late in the process of visiting all the colleges on my list of potential places, and sending out my recruit forms for softball. In the rush I just settled for a place that gave me softball and offered the majors that I wanted to persue. Never do that, never just settle for anything, because now I am unhappy, at a school in the middle of nowhere. I would go back and take those visits, and contact school admissions counselors to find out more about those colleges, and actually attempt to fill out scholarships in order to get more money for the places I really wanted to attend. Some people only get once shot, and if they don't like it they'll quit. Fortunately, I'm not a quitter, it just took me a semester to realize what I really wanted.

I really wish I would have known how little there is to do around school and town. I'm a city girl, and very outgoing, so not having anything to do isn't really my style. I like to be out and about, meeting new people, and now I know every students name at my school, and there's really nobody else to meet. It's a town with a college, and 5 resturaunts, with nothing else.

My school is extremely small, and it's in the worst location ever, in the middle of nowhere. Everything around closes at 8 or 9 p.m., and the people are a lot different than what I grew up around. Just the area in general in Eastern Kentucky is the worst thing about the school.

Brooke

If I could go back in time, things would be a lot different. In high school, teachers are more likely to baby their students. However, in college, professors give students more freedom and don't tell you exactly what to do. I would have practiced my study and note-taking skills more frequently. I also would have prepared myself for tests by taking online practice tests and things like that. College is a lot different from high school academically. That is something major that I would have prepared myself for before coming to college. The social aspect of college is a lot different from high school too. No one in college really knows what year you are unless you ask. People of all ages hang out and get along with each other. It's not about who's a freshman and who's a senior. It's more about the person you are on the inside.

I wish I had known that it was very small and everyone knows everyone's business. This school is similar to a private High School. I wish I had known to lay low and not be caught up in so much drama. Nothing else really came as a surpirse.

I think anyone and everyone could enjoy the benefits of Union College. The only person that I could think of that wouldn't would have to be someone that is lazy. Professors here strive to push students to work as hard as they can, which is one reason why I like this school so much. I think anyone would come out a better person after experiencing what Union College has to offer.

Union College-Barbourville administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.