Union College-Schenectady Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Union College-Schenectady

Doug

Awful school. Greek life dominates the campus and if you don’t get into a social group by the first few weeks of freshmen year, expect to be a loner. Many students are highly degenerate and alumni network is garbage. Haven’t met an alumnus that wasn’t vapid. If I could do it all over again, I would pick a different school. Icing on the cake: fraternities are both above and next to dorm rooms. There’s very little accountability. I will say most professors and staff are pretty good. Gym is great and food wasn’t that bad.

Alex

Union is a really awesome place to go to school. The opportunities are amazing, the people are supportive, and the community is connected. Want to do research as a first-year or sophomore? You can do it here! Want to lead a club? You can get involved right away. There's always something going on on campus, and you'll be able to find or develop your passions. The academic culture is collaborative (not competitive), and faculty are incredible. Professors know you and your goals, and will help you achieve them if you put in the time and effort. I loved living on campus for four years and having some great upperclassman housing options (Minervas are nice, Greek life is an option, theme houses, apartments, etc.). Much has been updated on campus in the last few years! New dining service is great, new science and engineering complex is state-of-the-art, and our new President and several new administrators are pretty fantastic and top of things. I'm so grateful to have experienced Union.

Gerardo

Union College is a truly hidden gem in the Upstate New York area. Classroom sizes are smaller ranging from 20 to at most 40 students with some of the most accredited professors who's passion for their subject material will almost always encourage their students to study harder. It is also very easy to get to know your professors who will likely become your friends. I formed lots of great bonds with professors from all different fields from sciences, arts, philosophy, dance and even mathematics. This is largely due to the Liberal Arts curriculum that requires students to study a broad spectrum of academia. Also a large option of extracurricular activities for out of classroom experiences. Although be prepared for smaller sized clubs and events as this is a smaller campus. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Union and after graduation reflected on how much I loved my time there.

Adrianna

Union College is an amazing school with a lot of opportunities for all of their students. There are always activities for all students to participate in and the life on campus is great since it's a small campus, so everyone knows everyone. Union makes you feel at home and if a school is able to do that, then it is one heck of a school.

Meghan

I decided to come to Union College for a variety of reasons: financial aid and the promises that the admissions office made in terms of academics, social life, and so on. Considering how expensive college is these days, I knew that I needed to be able to get a great education at an affordable cost. I pay a large amount of money to attend Union, but I felt that it would be worth it considering all of the things that Union promised me. One of the things that Union prides itself on is its academics: it was named a 'Hidden Ivy' by a magazine once. Union is one of the oldest colleges in the nation, but it has not progressed to the level of a Harvard. I thought this was because the college cared more about its students than the bottom line, but my experience thus far has made me question this. The admissions office promises a number of things such as small class sizes, competitive academics, research opportunities, and so on. Class sizes are certainly not as large like at the huge state universities, but Union's classes vary from over 100 students to 5 students which is how they are able to present such a low class size average. In terms of how competitive the academics are at Union, I was sorely disappointed to realize that it feels like most of the students don't care about their studies. They seem to care more about drinking and partying for about a minimum of three or four nights a week. As a part of Union's 'prestigious' Scholars Program, I expected the caliber of Scholars to be much higher. However, the students in this program have also disappointed me in terms of their drive and dedication to their academics. It must be noted that I speak about my impression of the majority, and that there are a number of motivated and highly intelligent students at Union College. Regarding social life, the admissions office places a great emphasis on the Minerva House Program, and severely deemphasizes the Greek life on campus. Unlike what admissions wants its prospective students to know, Greek life is extremely popular on campus while the Minerva Houses are virtually void of life. The Minervas are given a huge budget of about 23k per house per year. With seven houses, this equates to over 160,000 dollars a year. As one of the few active members of my Minerva House, I know from experience that this budget is never exceeded and each house typically has several thousand dollars left over at the end of the academic year. Minerva House events are hosted by students and are only well attended when food is involved (well attended is relative and typically means a maximum of 35-40 students attend out of 2200+ students). The school appears to waste money on the Minervas and attempts to suppress the Greek voice on campus. Granted, Greek life carries the stereotype of hard partying, but it must not be forgotten that the fraternities and sororities do philanthropy and community service work and contribute to the Union College campus community far more than the Minerva Houses do. The college seems to have its priorities backwards in this aspect, as well as in terms of financing. While the college is generous to its students in regard to financial aid, there is a lot of waste and expenses that are unneccesary that end up costing the students far more than it should. The food on campus is absolutely terrible and drives many students to seek elsewhere for sustenance, while still having to pay for an incredibly expensive meal plan. The college also likes to renovate and construct many buildings - they brag about how often they update their structures on campus, but to me this means that my tuition continually goes up and my struggle to finance my education increases. Overall, I think that Union College is a good college, but I feel that I could have gotten this college experience at any other small, liberal arts college. When I sent in my deposit to Union, I thought that I would be getting an amazing education and experience and that the high cost would be worth it. Now after experiencing Union, I find myself questioning whether or not the cost is worth what I am getting out of my time here.

Rebecca

I loved my time at Union as a student and as an athlete. Every class I took was interesting and my professors made it fun. Hockey Games were a highlight and campus down time there was always something to do. It really felt like home.

It is an amazing place to go to college. I really enjoy the close knit community that Union has created where students and facility are more like friends and family. The class sizes are small so you really get to know one another and your teach knows you. The manerva houses are my favorite feature of campus because it provides you a space that actually feels like home, not just four walls in a door building.