Jackson, TN
Union University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Union University

Searching for and finding the right college is very tough to do during the last few years of high school, however if approached correctly and cautiously students and parents can make the right choice. First, students should carefully consider all of their college options and never rule out an institution that seems to be out of reach. This is easy to do because students feel as if their grades are not good enough to be accepted to the institution; however, many admission offices are looking for well rounded students, which is more than just GPA. Also, students and parents should visit all options and not rule out any until a visit is made and the student has walked on the campus. By walking on the campus, talking with current undergraduate students and professors, and sitting in on a class, students will feel if the environment is right for them. Lastly, in order to make the most of the college experience students must not waste the opportunity that is given to them. Since the cost of a college degree is continually rising, students must not take for granted the opportunity to study under some the greatest minds in their field.

The best thing about Union University is the environment in which students study. The campus is filled with loving and caring professors who desire to build relationships with students no matter their major or minor. The professors, faculty, and staff do their best to make the learning environment comfortable. Also, Union University is a very loving environment where everyone feels like family.

A student who is dedicated to being stretched in their specific field. Someone who has a passion and desire for learning and studying under some of best minds in their field. Students considering Union University should be prepared to be challenged in every class their take and every lecture they are a part of because they will walk away from every class filled with tons of new information. Students should be willing to be challenged when considering Union University.

Christ-centered school with loving professors and students.

Christ-centered school with loving professors and students.

Choose a college with a campus that you like, but also in a city or town that you like. If you go to a college in a town that you really don't like, it will not be easy for 4 years because you have to live with it.

It is a place that provides good education with a Christian emphasis on everything.

Helen

They are very diverse and are very accepting of each individual. You don't feel left out ever.

I believe the parents and students need to pray about where God wants them to go. I think before they even go to visit a college campus they should really see where God is leading them. Then, when they visit the campus they will have an overall peace about it and know that is exactky where God wants them. Also, sitting in on a class and talking to some of the faculty and even some if the students can be very beneficial on helping a person decide where to go. To make the most of a colleg student the student just has to trust God and open up. He/she just has to throw himself/herself into activities and discover what he/she loves. Overall God is key to finding the right college and for making the most of a college experience because some pretty horrible things can happen but with God there one can realize just how much of an amazing experience it has been.

They care about each student. They work hard to make sure your needs are met but also challenge you. I alos love that it is Christ-centered.

Joshua

My school is best known for their Christian perspective on the liberal arts and their success at producing smart, well rounded student that are prepared for facing life's challenges.

I would advise parents to chose someplace that is far enough away from home that the studend has to be independent and live life without his parents. This is to allow the students to grow and ways that they never could if they were sitll living in their parents' house. I would also recomend to the parents that they not support the student very much, but force him to work and make a living on his own, but be ready to step in and help if the student asks for assistance. Both of these things combined molds students into why they want to be faster. They become more mature and act more like audults because they are being forced to live like an audult.

There seems to be a lack or willingness to do things differently in some of the faculty and staff.

Kelsey

While the financial aspect of a college is usually the first thing a parent considers, I encourage the parent and the student to look beyond finances. You are going to be living on this campus for four years and you need it to fit you. My university isn't very fancy and doesn't have high-tech facilities. It's also very expensive since it is a private Baptist school. However, I love Union University because of the people that go here. You should be able to get a sense of the kind of students that attend a school and whether or not that's going to fit your personality. I feel absolutely comfortable with myself here and that sense of self-confidence inspires me to accomplish what I came here to do. There's not a perfect college out there, but it's about finding what fits you best. College is a wonderful thing in that you discover who you are in those four years. Making the most out of your college experience involves learning what you are capable of through very unique personal experiences and how you can apply your specific skills to something you value in life.

The sense of community is the best thing about Union University. Even though the student body is diverse in a lot of ways, our pride in Union unites us. After a devastating tornado hit our campus, we were able to bond in an amazing way. We grew together as we rebuilt the school that we love so much. When you come to Union, you get to be in a wonderful supporting community that has enough diversity to make it interesting but enough commonality to make you feel welcome and loved.

I'm not going to lie and say that everybody belongs at Union University. It is a private Baptist school and people who are not at least Protestant will have a very hard time fitting in and having a good college experience. The kind of person that would feel most comfortable at Union would be someone who is willing to work hard but is also willing to sacrifice their time to support the spread of the Gospel in the surrounding community through their positive attitude. A Union student generally recognizes that you get back tenfold what you give.

Christina

My classmates are an accepting group of people who encourage me to strive for a higher education and always make me feel like I am at my home away from home.

What Union is best known for at this time is how well our community has recovered from the devastation of the tornado that had hit our campus in Spring 2008. Through this trying time, not only the Union community, but our surrounding community as well as many supporting schools and churches have helped to rebuild our campus as well as encourage us through this time The Union community has proven to be one that stands strong in the face of adeversity and continues to focus on the blessing of life that we have been granted.

The best thing to do is get a head start. If you can, go to the preview days of your top choices. When you get to experience a day in the shoes of a college student, it can reveal more than any brochure or web video can show you. Talk to the students, the faculty, the staff - find out what they feel their school has to offer that others do not. It really helped me to make a list of positives and negatives after I toured each school; this way I could remember what I liked or didn't like about each one. Weigh the positives and negatives, depending on which are most important to you, and pray about where you think you will gain the best education and college experience. You are not only there to gain a higher education and enjoy college life, but your next four years will shape your character, molding you into an adult who will eventually be faced with the professional world. My decision to attend Union has tremendously shaped my worldview, pushed me to strive for a higher degree of excellence in my education, and provided me with a number of lifelong friends.

Leslie

Union is a well-rounded school that is very Christ-centered and education focused and provides a safe, comfortable, and fun community to learn and grow.

When looking for the right college I would recommend finding a place where you feel most comfortable and accepted for who you are. Choosing a college based only on your major is not the wisest idea because most college students change their major mulitple times before finally settling on the right one. I believe that making the most of your college experience is all in how you look at it. What do you want your college experience to be? Everyone has a different idea of what they want. For me, participating in the activities provided for freshman such as, focus groups that met during orientation and Life Groups that met weekly for the first semester, provided opportunities to meet people right off the bat; and it was in those groups that I met some of my very best friends that are still around 2 1/2 years later. So, I say all that to say, do not be afraid to commit to being involved on campus just be careful to not over commit. Pick a few activities that you know you will enjoy; activities that will allow you to use your talents and gifts and dive in deep.

The tuition prices increase every year but my financial aid never increases and I do not qualify for any other scholorships availiable from the university.

Amy

I know that parents and students both get bogged down with the whole financial part of the college experience. For me, personally, this was a huge factor. I was not able to pay for the type of private college I wanted to and had to seriously seek out scholarships. I would advise students, especially to apply for as many individual scholarships as you can. Also, the environment of the campus should be a major influencing factor. This is the place you are going to be living at for four years. It is important that you, as the student, feel comfortable on campus and really enjoy the campus. Overall, this is the students decision. You can make the most of your college life where ever you are. Get involved. Make friends even if it is uncomfortable at first. I would advise parents to give their children some freedom and trust them as they go off to school. Trust that the college they chose is the right one for them. This is the time in their lives when they will grow the most. They are preparing for their future during these years. Let them enjoy it.

In my opinion, the worst thing about my school is either the on-campus meal options or the cost of tuition. The meal plan is not convenient and the food on campus is not very appetizing. Also, nothing like Chick-f-la or fast food is offered. The cost of tuition is also another downfall of the school.

Well, the typical type of person that attends Union University is a baptist, middle class white student. Most kida at Union are fairly wealthy and a little sheltered. Also, the students are very academic and career minded. They are serious about academics and about their faith.

Joshua

The advice I would have to give parents and students about selecting a college is simple. Select several institutions that support the academics and character they hold to be important in their own lives. Treat it as investment because in the long run it will pay off. I know money is an important factor and should be considered, but the quality of your education is just as important. Choose a school that best fits you and the standards whether social or academic that you set for yourself. After selecting the right school, give it all you have academically and socially. Get to know people, work with people, and serve people. Learn life! Also, studying hard in and out of the class room. Enjoy hard work and the pay off that is recieved at the end when the job is finished. Basically, to get the most out of college put your best into it and the blessings will flow.

I would have liked to have known more about possible financial aid beyond your freshmen and sophmore year.

I brag about the community, heart, and academically challenging evironment. The Spirit of Union is strong. Especially after the tornado ravaged our campus.

Carri

My classmates are intellegent, friendly, hardworking, and funloving people that I love to hang out and go to class with.

One of the most important things I found out when I was looking at schools was that it is crucial to stay organized. Students need to stay on top of application and scholarship deadlines, and having a system and a plan really helped me. Another thing that students need to know is that choosing the right college is ultimately up to them, not their parents. Mom and Dad can help with the process to an extent, but it is mainly the student's responsibility to make sure they have everything turned in on time. Once a student has been accepted and has started school, I think it is very important to get involved with things on campus. The roomates may be great, but it is in different activities that they will make friends the fastest, and therefore will also make the most of their college experience.

Mainly about how amazing Union is. It's small enough that you can get to know your professors and have small classes. while still big enough that you don't feel like you are still in high school. The faculty and staff are very accessable and helpful, and the campus has a great overall atmosphere.

Union University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.