Union University

« See more reviews of Union University

The degree of conservatism. I feel like I missed out on some very normal college experiences because I went to a Christian college where drinking, even over 21, wasn't allowed and chapel was required. Often times professors would pointedly focus conversation on Christian aspects so there were few open-minded, liberal, rounded conversations. The professors who did invite open minded comments/arguments/discussions were the best, but they were few. Most of the time I felt caged, jaded, and suppressed in my college experience.

I suppose I would say that I do not enjoy having greek life on campus. Union has always had fraternities and sororities since its founding, so I can see why the tradition would continue, but I have not seen how these organizations have contributed to the life and focus of the University and it's students in the ways they have promoted. All this to say, I have never been a part of greek life and so my opinion is gathered from my experience and my understandings of friends who have participated in greek life.

As far as the university itself, I can not tell you I have any complaints. The food in the cafeteria is not as healthy as I would like, but there is plenty of variety and an attempt to meet most individual prefrences. The humidity is very different from what I am familiar with and has taken an adjustment period. I wish that the distance between the universtiy and my family was less, because at times I miss the support that can only be obtained by people who trully know and love you.

For the most part Union is a very accepting school, but when it comes to more liberal thinking, they can tend to be more closed-minded. However, this is not the case most of the time and conflict usually doesn't arise because there are not many liberal thinkers that attend Union. It can be a hindrance if you prefer to get a more rounded point of view. But most professors (not all) give a well-informed opinion from knowing both sides of the issues discussed most of the time.

Sometimes the cafeteria food isn't that great. I think the worst thing about Union is that it forces you to come to terms with the fact that we are all humans and not superheroes. Everyone wants to do everything because there are so many wonderful resources, activities, extracurricular events, and more, and you just cant do them all, but at the same time, it teaches you time management, how to prioritize and you gain invaluable experience that prepares you for the future.

Because my school is on the smaller side, there is not a wide range of opportunities available in extracurricular activities or course offerings. While bigger schools may have organizations for every type of person and a huge selection of courses, Union has focused on offering more practical courses for its available majors. Furthermore, even though the school is still growing and adding new majors, there still remains a lack of available majors.

That some may feel left out due to organizations like the fraternities and sororities. I know of students who were once in a fraternity that dropped out for an unknown reason and were then shunned by their friends they used to be in that fraternity with. I think the Greek life here is very clique-ish at times and some need to learn to have more unity among all students.

We're in a tornado zone. We were hit by two simultaneously on 2/5/08 leaving us with $40,000,000+ in damages. Not one of the 1200 students were killed but, we all grew up a lot that night. I was in a collapsed building. The students worked together with the rescue squads and the campus became a unified body like nothing else I have ever experienced.

The worst thing that I've come across at Union is probably the dining experience. It's not always bad, and can occasionally be pretty good, but generally speaking, the food is probably the weakest aspect of the college experience at Union University. Cafeteria food is never the best, but it seems like it's not as good as it can possibly be.

I think that Union University could improve in the area of racial diversity. The university is currently a mostly white university, but has been taking the initiative in recent years to recruit students from other backgrounds. The situation is improving, and the university is doing a great job, but it is not yet where they desire it to be.