Union University

« See more reviews of Union University

First, decide what you want from your college experience. What matters most to you? The education? The people? Social experience? The price? These questions will guide you towards certain schools. Once you know that, you can list places that seem to fit what you are seeking. Next, visiting the school is vital. Ask the people who are meeting with you specific questions - ones that an unclear answer cannot be given. For example, if racial diversity is key for you, do not ask, "Is your campus racially diverse?" Instead, ask "What ethnicities are represented here and what percent of the school do they make up?" After all, their job is to make the school appealing to everyone, but no school can truly appeal to everybody. Secondly, but even more importnantly, seek out a chance to talk to the students, especially ones you identify with in some way - area of study, faith, ethnicity, economically - whatever you value about yourself. These people are not motivated professionally in your choice, and therefore have no problems telling you the flaws. They also may know some reasons to come that matter to you that the school did not mention or not know were important to you.

I would tell future college students and their parents to consider schools carefully and slowly. Begin looking early so there is no rush or pressure on your decision. Be sure to consider every aspect of the campus. While the exciting athletic program or beautiful campus may be appealing, make sure to meet those who work in the admissions and financial aid departments because you will be dealing with them often. Also, look particularly at the aspect of the campus that will most affect you. If you are most concerned about the living situation, the athletic department, or your particular field of study, pay close attention to that aspect of each school you visit or research instead of wasting time researching or debating aspects of the campus that you will never utilize as a student. I would also recommend applying to as many colleges and universities as you can; you never know what will happen between the time you apply and the time you make your final decision. After all research and visitng is complete, I would recommend time to think and really consider which school has the most overall appeal and advantage to you as you prepare for your future.

I am currently attending college online and I have already experienced several benefits and opportunities. Going to college online was a difficult experience at first, by learning how to access the website and having the courage to email my instructors. Attending the live chats was not mandatory because it is recorded. This results in a smaller amount of interaction and more of unanswered questions. I learned to break out of my shell and communicate with my instructors, attend live chats and ask questions. This experience helped me gained the confidence to join the student mentorship program. I assist four mentees? with their problems. I provide information of how to turn in assignments, how to utilize the campus website, and helpful tips for assignments. This experience has been valuable because I learned I am capable of achieving any goals I set for myself. I have overcome two insincerities by becoming an improved writer and speaker. I am the first one to go to college in my family, and I am encouraging my siblings and my parents to attend college. I have four months until I graduate and I believe I have inspired them to achieve a higher education.

Students should take advantage of college preview days. Talking with students at each school helped me get ?the feel? of campus and determine if I could picture myself there. Current students offer a realistic picture of the school and point you to crucial information that representatives fail to mention. Additionally, it?s important for parents to attend these trips with students because they can offer a fresh perspective and insight from their experiences. To get the most out of college, I recommend students live in a dorm on campus. Many of my friends commute to school, attend a few classes, make no social connections, and then go to work or home. College is a big adjustment and becomes easier when you can make new friends who are going through the same things as you. If living on campus is not practical, join extracurricular activities such as an intramural team or club. Furthermore, do not be afraid to seek out free school resources. I received valuable advice on time management and how to study in college from a study counselor. Tutors, counselors, and career services representatives are available to students and willing to help.

It?s your senior year of high school, and the guidance counselor is breathing down your neck about college applications. You glance at the pile of college brochures on your desk, a pile that has been steadily growing ever since sophomore year. Where should you start? First, you need to decide on your priorities for your choice of college. Are you looking for a college that caters to a specific major or one with a certain environment? Do you want to attend a college that is close to home or is distance not even an issue? Once you decide on your priorities, then you can delve into that intimidating stack of pamphlets. After finding colleges that fit your expectations, go visit them. Experience the atmosphere, interact with faculty and students, and explore all facets of college life at that school. The more you experience, the better your chances of discovering the college that is right for you. Finally, do not be afraid to take risks. This advice relates to both applying to colleges and to making the most of your college years. Try new things and step out of your comfort zone?you never know what you might discover!

Choosing a college is more about you than about the college. Ask yourself, ?Why am I going to college; what is my goal? Where do I want to be in 10 years? How will this college help me get there?? Your answers to these questions will determine which college you choose. Next, visit every college you can! Even if you?re not highly interested in the school, you will gain valuable comparison points. While visiting, ask questions. What does the school choose to tell you about itself? Does what you?re seeing and hearing match? TALK TO STUDENTS; they can tell you what the school is really like. Continuing to ask questions and challenging yourself will help you make the most of your college experience. Ask faculty how the school can best help you reach your goals. Ask older students the tricks, shortcuts, and bits of wisdom they?ve learned. Try new things at college: stretch your comfort zone, meet new people, challenge yourself academically, and become involved on campus. Ask yourself, ?What do I want to remember about college when I?m finished?? Your answer to that question will determine your priorities for how you spend your time.

My advice would be to decide on a major before choosing your college, if it is possible. If not ,it will be more expensive. Decide where you will get the best education for the major you choose. Don't put all your apples in one basket, as my Granny told me. Apply to all the schools you want to attend and accept the one most best suited for your plans. Make plans for the financial expenses, for they are high and increasing every year. If you will need to get financial aid get all your information together before you start entering. Researce student loans for the best interest rate and payback schedules. Visit the colleges and talk to the advisors and students. Plan carefullly to budget your money. Use your high school advisor, local libary, school libary, newspapers, and the internet for a source of scholarships. Contact your college for scholarships from them. Don't wait until the dead line to enter for scholarships. Be very careful to be accurate and answer every question. Pre-write essays that are proofed by someone before you enter. Do the very best you can, putting as much time as possible on each application.

Parents, start a college fund early in life. Look into colleges, and financial sources, as early as the tenth grade. Careful financial and scholastic consideration should be given to junior college vs. four year college for your first two years. If you are limited in finances; you may want to take online courses or live at home to cut down on housing expense. Financial Aid papers should be filled out and turned in before the deadline. You should do this even though you may not qualify. You should seek scholarships first locally, using counselor, friends, the library, college information, and the internet, as sources. Check out student loans available. Set up a budget and stay as close to it as possible. Talk to your older friends about their financial experiences. Stay away from credit cards. You should select a college that has the best program for the major you are considering. If possible, you should have an idea of that major before finializing your choice. You may be wasting time and money if you don't, Do not put all your apples in one basket, apply to a number of colleges.

Choosing a college is one of the most difficult decisions one will make during their entire lives. Many universities throughout the United States are fine institutions, and personally I do not think there is the one 'right college' just for you and stressing will not help anything. I would look at many different schools, visit them, and learn as much as you can about everything such as campus life, academics, extra-curricular activities, etc. Parents: do not push your student into a hasty decision or force them to go somewhere. Be completely supportive no matter what they decide because even though you will most likely be paying for it, this is their choice and they alone can make it. In order to make the most of your college experience, get involved! Getting to know students and faculty is a key component to making your college career an incredible, lasting experience. Get involved in whatever you're interested in whether it be intramurals, academic clubs, social clubs, anything. By doing this, you will make friends that you will have your entire life and it will enhance your learning experience. Do not be afraid to ask questions!

Searching for and finding the right college is very tough to do during the last few years of high school, however if approached correctly and cautiously students and parents can make the right choice. First, students should carefully consider all of their college options and never rule out an institution that seems to be out of reach. This is easy to do because students feel as if their grades are not good enough to be accepted to the institution; however, many admission offices are looking for well rounded students, which is more than just GPA. Also, students and parents should visit all options and not rule out any until a visit is made and the student has walked on the campus. By walking on the campus, talking with current undergraduate students and professors, and sitting in on a class, students will feel if the environment is right for them. Lastly, in order to make the most of the college experience students must not waste the opportunity that is given to them. Since the cost of a college degree is continually rising, students must not take for granted the opportunity to study under some the greatest minds in their field.