United States Military Academy Top Questions

Clark

There are two bits of advice I'd give myself: 1) Move out. Live on campus or in an apartment with your friends. You motivate each other, and you solidify friendships that are as strong as family ties. 2) Choose the major YOU want. Everyone will give you advice as to what you should do. What are you most passionate about? DO IT. People will say "That wont pay very well", but if you love it, you should do it. Don't choose a "second place" major. School will seem much easier if youre not hating every moment of it because you picked a major you didnt like or felt pressured to go into. Rely on the good friends you make and keep in touch with each other.

My advice to you is to think about what you really want out of life. Do you know who you are and what you can do? If not, going to West Point is the best decision of your life. Even if you get injured and it doesn't work out, the year you will spend there will change and shape you for the rest of your life. Do not be afraid to leap out into the world because no matter what happens, you know who you are and that you will succeed at whatever you put your mind to.

Carl

It's September 11th, 2001, and I know you're wondering if Dad's okay. Dad's fine. Give your sister a hug and let her know its going to be okay. She'll be walking into your AP Physics class any minute now. You already know this day will change everything you thought you knew about your future. Going to West Point is going to mean a lot more than you thought it would mean. You are going to have an amazing experience during your four years at West Point, but you will truly learn the most after graduation as an Infantry Officer with two deployments to Afghanistan. Be prepared to lose friends and colleagues, and cherish the time with your brothers with which you serve. There's nothing you can't achieve, so long as you put your heart and soul into it. You have an amazing career ahead of you. Be ready for the challenge!

Alaina

During my senior year, I made the tough decision to accept an appointment to The United States Military Academy at West Point and signed up for an eight year commitment to the U.S. Army. It took a lot of hard work to get there and I took the decision as well as the program at West Point extremely seriously. If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would basically tell myself to slow down and take it all in as opposed to being so focused on my preconceived notions of achievement and my inability to recognize that failure, particularly in the right environment, can sometimes be an even better learning experience than success. I would tell myself to continue to work hard and take my commitments seriously, but never to wish time away and to always concentrate on the positives of each experience as many of them were once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. It took me several years and two combat tours to Iraq to learn these lessons, and I would love to have savored life while I was in college the way I was able to after my return from deployment.

Caleb

You are not as smart as you think you are. Try hard in every class, no matter how easy or unimportant it may seem.

I would tell myself to find a place that I am comfortable. Trying to go to the most prestigious school or to any school for any reason other than you feel the most comfortable there will lead to a very unhappy time at the school you attend. Success will come when you enjoy yourself and actually want to learn. Trying to simply earn the diploma will make college that much harder. College will be challenging wherever you decide to attend but by enjoying your time, the challenges will be balanced by the better experiences that college life can offer. The transition to college will be made all that more difficult by being on your own. It will require you to manage your time and balance many competing intrests, such as friends, school and work. Work on maintaining a schedule so that you can plan your time in advance and can keep an eye on major future events such as papers and tests. Simply scheduling your time will make the transition a much easier process.

Joel

I have received maturity and some great experiences with leadership while attending the United States Military Academy. While every college student will experience some rise in maturity that comes with making independent decisions regarding future employment and living, West Point requires its cadets to sacrifice much of the normal college experience so they can put more time and effort into becoming the leaders that the United States Army requires them to be. Also, through multiple team-building activities in Cadet Basic Training as well as many aspects of cadet leadership within the Academy, cadets are taught the essentials of leadership and have the opportunity to observe positive and negative traits of fellow cadets. This is great because the cadets are encouraged to observe the characteristics of leaders among the corps of cadets and this makes it easier to see what is productive and what is not when it comes to interacting with each other. These two enhanced traits make attendance valuable because they are needed in all walks of life and attending West Point, even if it was for one semester, has given me a little advantage over others because of my experiences

Miguel

I would give myself the advice that the path you want to take is the hard right, not the easier left. Use your ambition and passion to lead you to suceed in becoming the best person overall for yourself, family, and country. Always stay focus and achieve what you were meant to achieve. Never settle for mediocracy or be complacent because your life will be full of regrets. Never let anyone determine your fate and always, fight and strive to be better than who you were yesterday. Life is about choices and it is very short, make the descsion that will be difficult and demand sacrifice because only then will you know your potential but you will also become the best you can be. On this difficult road surround yourself with people like you, because you need to cooperate and work as a team to lead and achieve personal perfection. Never settle for second best and always remeber who you are. West Point by far is the best institution that will lead you on the path of success. Do what is hard because in the long-run you will be so much better do for it.

Well my first bit of advice would be to try and live off of my parents for as I could. Becuase it is scary to move into a military acadmy, knowingly accepting a 5 year army service requirement that may send me overseas into a war zone. But realistically, I would reccommend that I motivate myself early on to get work done quickly and effectively, and have a good attitude about it. So much goes on here, between school work, and physical and military grades based on performance in and out of class, and during summer training. The magnitude of work that we have to focus on is meant to be extremely overwhelming so that we can work under pressure in the heat of a battle. I would let myself know that life will not be as easy as it was back then, and with a good attitude and strong work ethic, it can still be fun.

Work hard. Keep up with your studies. Stay organized. Never get discouraged. Stay focused but have fun once in a while. Take full-advantage of the extra-curricular activites and get out as much as possible. There's always time to have fun with friends but don't lose track of the reason why you are at college or even more importantly, the reason why you are at West Point.

Samuel

Do whatever i have to do in order to get into West Point.

Akeem

Some prior knowledge that is useful that would be useful to a new African American Cadet at West Point: 1. Never give up! (It is extremely hard and over-bearing at first, but the longer you stay the easier it gets) 2. 99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of your classmates don't understand what it's like to be poor and black. Don't take offense because you understand what it's like to be there shoes either. 3. You may not have needed help in Highschool and it may have been hard to get when necessary, but you'll need it here and the good news is that everyone is ready and willing to help. 4. You will mature and become much wiser at West Point. You will learn greater responsibility, so that upon graduation you can be trusted with the lives of American soldiers. 5. Schoolwork will be far from only concern, you must stay in great shape and perform your duties to perfection at all times, but when all is said and done, you will have excellent organizational and time management skill, as well as the ability to not only be accountable for yourself, but for many others as well. Godspeed!

Follow your heart for what you want to do. Also, start early. The sooner you figure out what school you want to attend, the sooner you can prepare. Work hard on scholarships and financial aid. Even if you dont need it, its good to reduce the burden of college, especially now a days. Talk to your guidance counselor to learn more about what scholarships are available to you and to help you in maximizing your support.

Do thorough research when selecting the college that is right for you. Visit campuses, talk to current students, and take a look at the curriculum at the schools you are interested in. Dont base your decisions primarily on polls, or names that are associated with particular schools. Instead base them on the climate and your educated perception of how you will do at the school you are considering.

ray

Visit each campus before blindly choosing one.

McAllister

I suggest that all parents have a discussion with their children about what kind of college their child is wanting to attend. I believe that a student should visit a college before deciding to attend it, and I believe that talking with students and faculty at your college of choice before attending will better prepare you for your freshman year.

I would say to find a college that fits/feels right. Too many times, students pick a school because of a particular ranking or preference by parents/friends. This is not right. At USMA, a lot of students end up being unhappy because of this and ultimately leave the school. While those who do it for personal reasons as well as others, end up being very happy despite the difficulties at the school.

Jean

There is no best advice to finding the right college because you won't know if it's right for you until after you attend the college. Choose a college based on what you want in your life. Don't listen to your parents' desires or anyone elses' besides your own. You can get advice from other people but do your own research and figure out what's best for you. Personally, I thought that the United States Military Academy would be my ideal choise as an institution of higher learning. I seeked the academic and physical challenges and I thought the Army couldn't be a better option. However, after experiencing a life as a cadet in the military, I realized that I would not be satisfied with myself nor my future if I remained at the Academy. I wouldn't have come to this conclusion if I hadn't experienced this lifestyle myself. I have no regrets because it was my choice but I hope I have made the right one to leave. Furthermore, keep in mind that college only comes once in your life so make the best of it.

Whatever college you choose, take it seriously. Consider a school close to home, most high school students have the mentally of trying to get as far away from home as possible but once you get there, you start to wish you weren't so far away.

The best thing aboout college is that it is a place to learn about yourself. What you are able to do and how you will be able to do it. When you leave college you should be able to understand what and who you are and what you stand for. If you are able to lead yourself throughout your studies and life you will be able to lead others in the business world. Once a person understands that then the opportunities are endless. It is all what you make of it. If you have a negative outlook on life then it will always be someone else's problem but if you look at yourself and see that change starts with you then you can develope yourself to be the better person and prepare yourself for your future after college where ever that might take you.

Darin

I am content and satisfied with my college experience because of the fact that before I committed to the United States Military Academy, I thorougly researched the institution and whether or not its core values and approach to higher education would be a good fit with what I wanted. The ability to give an honest assessment of what one seeks to accomplish while pursuing their educaiton is crucial to finding the right school. Although I chose to change the direction of my education by changing my major and drea of study a number of times, I rarely if ever gave any thought to switching schools or leaving because of the fact that I had made up my mind before I went and during my first year that West Point was what I wanted. While no campus orientation can provide a completely accurate representation of what life is going to like at any particular college, if one can honestly and candidly list their goals and aspirations and then make the connection of how a particular college or university will help them to accomplish those dreams, then they can be afforded more of a chance to realize a richly rewarding academic experience.

Consider what values are most important to you and guide your choice by that.

Roberto

The most important question that a student should ask his or herself when trying to find the right college is, "What do I want to do with my life?" Too many times, especially at West Point, I see students who are unhappy and change colleges because they went to a school where they were pushed to go, and not where they wanted to go. Parents should give advice, but before any student decides to attend a college, especially one like West Point, they should have an excitement deep within them and be able to say, "This is where I want to go to school, and I want to go here for me!" When students are unhappy at school, they tend to not perform very well, which may lead to a horrible college experience. I am honored and excited to be a cadet at the United States Military Academy, and even though my friends at other schools are having tons of fun partying every night, I am still happy to be at West Point. I made the decision to attend West Point, not anyone else, and since I trully want to be there, my collge experience couldn't be any better.

Always research prospective schools and visit also. In terms of applying to military academies candidates should make sure that they truly desire to serve their country.

Tim

Look for a place that will challege you. Complaincency is dangerous because it pit you gaginst yourself. You need to challenge yourself but if you go to a college that is not demanding enough it will only cause you to become complaicent. look at your abilities and honestly think about what you are capable of. Work hard once your in, dont let yourself get lazy and lose a good grade, its four years and how you do plays an important role in the rest of your life.

College is a time for self-actualization; A period in which growth is paramount. College should be used as a medium for enhancement. However, not every college is designed for one "cookie cutter" type person. Every individual is different. Many people love learning but at the same time are not willing to compromise their youth and happiness for the gains difficult academic rigor. The advice to parents and students that I would give would be to do what value's most to oneself and is similiar to personality. Do what brings happiness and in that statement, the college that one attends should mirror the charactersics of what one expects. Follow your heart in what type of enviroment you enjoy, because you will be engaging in such a surrounding for the foreseeable future. Small nuances could clue you in on what you would enjoy; if you love engaging conversation, a large college with large lecture classes probably isn't the best choice. Making the most of college is directly proportional to how much effort that is put into college. Working hard academically will produce fruits of lifelong opportunities, while fruitless endevors will only reap immediate gratification. It is a personal choice.

Minou

Find the college with most wide range of education

Do what you love.

Choose a college that fits your interests and personality the best. Each college varies in what it has to afford, and if you can find the one that will allow you to excel in an environment that you love, then you have found the perfect place for you. Search for that place, visit different schools, talk with the people and discover where you belong.

Do your homework, and talk to students at the school.

Dustin

Look around as much as possible. Visit everywhere and apply everywhere. It can't hurt to broaden your horizons when choosing where to go to school.

Carlos

Do what you have always wanted to do.

If you have goals in life that include going to a particular school don't accept no for an answer. Continue to fight through hardship because with perseverence you will attain your goals and your school of choice.

Rafael

In order to make the right decision in choosing a college, I think it is very important to visit the college and have the full college experience. Also, you should keep in mind that you will be there for four years. When I first visited West Point, I thought it was an impressive school and that I could "put up" with it for four years. Now it is like I only focus on tolerating the school because there is so many things that the school requires of the cadets....some of them actually make sense. I think it is possible that I would have chosen to go to a different college if I had visited/applied to more colleges. Regardless, I am here now and here to make the best of it.

Do not waste time or money trying to figure out what you want to do in college. Take the time to discover what it is you want out of higher education and select a university in support of those aims.

Choosing the right college is a difficult decision for both the student and the parents. I applied to 10 different colleges and universities, and was accepted to all of them, which made my decision even harder. I believe that every aspect of the college needs to be looked at in order to make the right decision. I also believe that the student should not let anyone pressure them into going to a certain college. It needs to be their decision 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. I decided to go the United States Military Academy. This decision was competely mine. My parents did not influence me, and I did not let any of my other family or friends influence me. However, there are many students who were pressured into coming here, and they are miserable. They came because they felt they had to, and they hate being here. This is no way to spend four years at college. The student needs to decide which school he/she wants to attend on his/her own, and not let anyone make the decision for them. I believe this is the key that will allow students to make the most out of their college experience.

Stuart

Visit visit visit. Talk to students who go there to get their opinion, and once you begin attending the school, GET INVOLVED.

Tim

.

Jayne

Do your research!

Have a solid plan before going to college. Know what you want to do and how you want to get there. Focus is the key to success in any college you go to, and it will set you up for a great future if you have a strong gameplan. Don't be discouraged by difficulty and what others around you say. Push through adversity and go for your dreams. You'll end with no regrets and be a stronger person for it. If you know what you want to do and how you want to get there, then finding a college that suits you will become infinitely easier. Simply find the college that best suits your personality and dreams, and make the best experience you can out of it. Be involved and work hard!

do what is best for you, dont just go somewhere because you think you have to follow in your parents footsteps, and study something you love while you are at college and get involved with some clubs. also no matter where you go or what you choose to study be prepared to work hard.

Collin

Ensure you visit the college, and don't worry too much about party atmosphere, etc. Smaller classrooms and a caring faculty are the most important things -- your student will party, regardless of the school. Better to have the parties happen on the campus than at a smaller school with parties happening in a shady or sketchy surrounding community!

The best advice I could give anyone about attending any college is to make sure that the college is what the individual applicant wants. Seek out as much information about any colleges they are interested in and once the information has been collected, the applicant should make their decision based on what they believe is best. They should not let others be involved in making their decision, just accept the feedback from others. Do not be forced into a college that the applicant has little to no interest in because in the long run, it might not turn out well for the student. Have a variety of options available to the applicant that interests them. I cannot stress enough how important it is for the student to pursure their own goals and not the golas of anyone else. It is the student's life and it doesn't hurt to recieve help from anyone, but do not let outside influences decide for you. Make your own decision to fulfill your own happiness and goals in life.

Attend a school that harbors similar values within your own life. College is a great opportunity to become the person you dream to become, so the right university is paramount.

The mission of the United States Military Academy is "To educate, train, and inspire the Corps of Cadets so that each graduate is a commissioned leader of character committed to the values of Duty, Honor, Country and prepared for a career of professional excellence and service to the Nation as an officer in the United States Army." Make no doubt about it - West Point is a military college designed to produce officers in the United States Army. Many esteemed graduates have entered the business field after their time in the service, but right now we are a country at war, and any prospective cadet (student) should know that by the time they graduate from the United States Military Academy, they will most likely be heading into combat. The must serve a total number of five years in the active Army and three years in the inactive reserve. Graduates from West Point lead, whether that be leading soldiers on the battlefield to protect our country, or directing Fortune 500 businesses on Wall Street. We have a sense of pride to serve our country, in both in the military and in public life.

Make sure you have a long term goal (even if its abstract) and find a school that will generally faciilitate you reaching that goal. Don't worry about ungrad either, grad school is where you become a professional.

Peter

I know that everyone says this, but make sure you pick the college that is right for you. I went on visits to several different universities, I knew i went to the right one when I could see myself going there next year. It didn't take a large stretch of imagination to see myself at my chosen university. So far its worked out for me. The best thing to do to succeed in college is to study hard and play hard, make the most of the time you have in a environment that is relatively free of consequences.

Rob

good luck

Don't go into debt for undergrad.

meghan

Visit the school and talk to people who go there