United States Naval Academy

« See more reviews of United States Naval Academy

The worst thing about my school is that it does not allow enough room to be a creative individual. Students at USNA are very much isolated into a strange and very restrictive military world. Although my school offers many great things, it is not a good personality fit for everyone. You have to give up a lot of yourself to attend a service academy and you need to decide if its worth it.

Having no social life whatsoever except on the weekends. And even then, you have military and other requirements that can limit the time you enjoy on "liberty." If you can manage being on AIM, Facebook, MySpace and webcam from Sunday nights until the following Friday night, you might stand a chance; if not, then go to a regular school.

Random breathalyzers - if a person who may legally drink blows abouve 0.08 BAC they can get in trouble. This creates an unnecessary taboo and makes drinking all the more appealing because it is frowned upon. Therefore, persons over 21 start acting like immature underagers coming up with ways to avoid the breathalyzer.

The way they treat women. The lack of creativity and allowance for growing up. We live in this giant bubble that doesn't allow college-life to actually set in. The rules are so strict, and i understand they're there for a reason, but they promote unhealthy behaviour such as binge drinking, sexual acts, etc.

The worst thing about this school is the lack of trust the administration has for the students. The liberties of the students are restricted during the week in order to facilitate better academic perfomance. This, however, only causes the students to become cynical and disillusioned over time.

Anything bad about the Naval Academy is all a matter of ones attitude. The worst thing is the cynicism that evolves as students spend more and more time inside the walls of the Yard. Good friends and a good attitude can help to overcome this though.

The unbelievable workload coupled with the various restrictions and requirements. These forces come together to create a school that is bent on smashing midshipmen into the molds forged through the development of the academy.

The administration does not take student opinion seriously. The group think mentality is sometimes crushing. The place is ruled by conservative, middle class, white males.

I will never know what it is like to go to a normal school and feel that I may lack some experiences necessary to be completely successful in my life after the Navy.

The administration stomping out free time away from school and trying to take away extra curriculars, especially creative/artistic ones