University at Buffalo

« See more reviews of University at Buffalo

Since the school was located in upstate NY the winters were harsh. In the four years I attended classes were cancelled once because professors from Canada could not make it over the Peace Bridge. In the dorms there was a special key that was required to change the heat settings. Without the key most people left all of the windows open in the middle of winter. Even if you were lucky enough to own a key or get one from a neighbor rommates always fought over temperatures. Relatively speaking the University was a good school that provided a great eduacation.

There isn't really anyone that hovers over you, unless a great professor takes to you, to make sure you are signing up for the courses you need to graduate and compliment your major - this can be hard for people that are undecided in the first two years. There isn't much information readily available about internships or scholarships. If you want to meet people, you really have to join clubs, but there wasn't much information about when or where they meet. With very thing built up, it is not a particularly pretty campus. On-campus housing is scarce.

The only bad thing I can say about my school is its large size. Because of its size, it can seem very overwhelming to new students...but within only a month or so you can easily find your way around and you realize the benefits as well as the downfalls of its size. As far as ones social life goes at University at Buffalo, there are several ways to become involved in a community, whether it's joining a club, getting involved in residential life, meeting people through classes. You just have to be open-minded and learn from diversity.

Diversity. I grew up in a mostly white, middle class town and had little interaction with other races. I had high hopes for UB when I heard it was so diverse to make new friends of various cultures and backgrounds but instead felt quite out of place when approaching them. Individuals seem fine, just not overly enthusiastic to meet diverse people, but the Student Assosiation clubs for ethnic groups is very closed and feels very unwelcoming to those looking to learn of that culture.

The worst thing about this school would probable be the job freeze on campus. The economic recession has hit the university pretty bad, so there have been some cut backs in the form of job oppurtunities. It also limits the amount of scholarships that the university can offer to it's students who for the majority of them are hard working people in the classroom and out of the classroom.

The class size. My smallest class last semester held 250 students. i felt like some of the professors were just there to read the notes they had prepared and leave. i would sit in the lectures and look around to see some of the students on their phones or surfing the web on thier computers and the professors didnt care one way or the other.

The definite down-side of the University at Buffalo is how large the classes are. For larger majors it is almost impossible to get to know your classmates and professors which becomes hard when it comes time to get Letters of Recommendations. You need to make sure to seek out professors in order to obtain references.

The worst thing about this school is probably commuting in the cold weather and snow. Most classes are in the Northern Campus and to travel up to them and get there on time is brutal. The shuttle buses start to run even slower then before so waking up early enough to catch it is a given.

The helpfulness of the staff with regards to registration. You are assigned an advisor to help you plan out your semesters, however they are always hard to get a hold of. They really didn't give you advise and many people found themselves short credits when it came time for graduation.

The worst thing about the school would just be the ice cold weather. The wind hits your face with tiny snow trying to pierce in to your school. The heavy winds hurt your face a lot! But other than that attending SUNY at Buffalo will be one of my greatest academic experiences!