University at Buffalo Top Questions

Mitchell

Invest. Invest in three things: stock (Google, Apple, Samsung), real estate, and a solid foundational education. Cultivate strong relationships with success-minded people. Be a rainmaker. Do not wait for opportunity to come knocking. Go out and find opportunity while it is still sleeping, wake it up, and make the most out of it. Then find another opportunity, and do the same. then another, and another, and repeat this process for as long as you can with as many hard-working, smart-working people as your team. Learn much from your professors, but realize that all of the knowledge you glean from them will be but a puddle in the ocean of information, and that others have talents that you will not have. Harvest their brilliance and form your team around those who have so much to offer this world. Turn your education into a beacon to attract a team of multiple intelligences and of various strengths, and lead your team into continual success.

licia

Cherish the final year of highschool becuase it goes by extremely fast. Also, college is hard. Making the transition from living at home to living by yourself is difficult and it sucks at first but it will get better and you will love college.

Kalyn

If I could give my senior self some advice I would simply say to stick to your gut because everything is going to work out. I say that because I was always a very decisive person until my senior year of high school. I began to question everything from architecture as a major, to Buffalo as a school, to my ability to actually leave the high school that I loved so much. From my graduation up until the middle of my first semester my anxiety levels were higher then ever. But eventually I embraced the change and fell in love with my major, my school, and all of the new friends. If my senior self could see how happy I am now, she never would have questioned a thing and it would have made the transition much easier.

Yi

Dear myself as a high school senior, This is a letter that I want to tell you about college life and experience. Many people might tell you that college is a place to have fun or it's a hard life to stay in college. Right now I can tell you it's both of them. Why? I'll explain them to you. College is a place to seek for more knowledge. Therefore, everything comes after academics. Being a college student is a full time job. You study hard everyday. Getting good grades isn't a easy thing. Effort is necessary for every course avaliable. However, humans aren't capable for concenstating for long time. The result for this is to relax. How to relax? Do the stuff that you like. For example, sports, games, movies, music...etc. Anything you can name. Another important part is that you need to learn time management. Otherwise all the hard work will collapse. Don't go to parties. Only hangout friends that you trust. Don't touch drugs and alcohol. Don't worry too much. Do what you have to do. Have fun bro! Enjoy your future college life. sincerely, Yi Ting Wu

Do not rush high school! Do not give up towards the end of senior year with everything (including friendships). It was so easy to spend my days day dreaming about how much better college would be, getting ready for college and neglecting things that should be important at that time (SATs, AP exams, Prom etc.). Take as many AP's and courses that grant college credit as possible, little did I know that I finished almost a while year of college while in high school. It cost me around $1200 across four years of college courses here and there saving me around $7000! It may seem stressful to pile on so many college courses each year in high school but it is worth it, I wish I would have taken more and taken my AP's more seriously

As I look back on the high school school student I once was, I recognize a student that was as excited to become a college student as he was frightened. If I could sit down with that student, I would tell him that the fear he has is entirely normal, and that his interest in engineering will help him grow so much, even in the first year. I want to let him know that, although he is worried about picking the wrong major, he will enjoy engineering, and have mobility even through the first year to find which subset fits him. The greatest academic advice I can give him, is to learn as fast as possible that college is much more difficult than high school, but it is entirely possible to succeed, with continuing ambition and study skills. Lastly, he (I) should know that his life will change a great deal in the next year, and there will be great successes as well as failures to learn from, but if he puts his effort into working hard and staying true to the important things in his life, he will be just fine.

Kalina

Take those AP and SAT prep classes seriously! Firstly, great SAT courses gives you the freedom of choosing your school. In addition, many colleges have general requirement courses and receiving good AP scores can make you bypass those courses. This gives you a head start and thereby lessening your workload in college. You should also participate in volunteer or leadership opportunities in high school. This is an excellent resume builder. Yes, resume building is important in even high school because there are programmes in college such as honors programmes that offer beneficial resources to it’s students such as tutoring and networking sessions. A very important difference between high school and college is that in college you are solely responsible for yourself. You may feel swamped in that 200 student lecture hall but go to your professor’s office hours and build that professional connection. Each professor gives a syllabus for their course and you should treat that as your bible. Don’t forget to make friend but choose them wisely. Try to find someone who has similar ambitions as you who would not lead you off your path and would be a positive influence on you.

Cristian

Knowing what I know now, I would have told myself to not be afraid of leaving home early. The reason I decided to stay in my old college before I transferred to UB was that I felt that I was not ready. Thinking about it now, it should have not been a reason to stay and postpone a dream. Also, go for what you're passionate about, not just what you think is a safety net. Be the music major you want to be! But still take all the pre-requisite courses for medical school because you can still apply to medical school. Lastly, make sure you take that opportunity to go to UCF. I know they didn't give you the best scholarship, but in the long run you would have been happier there back with your old friends. Take care of yourself, and take it easy on the partying!

maria

I would tell my self to work hard and not to take A.P. classes as a joke. To put some effert into them because they could prove to be very valuble.

Queenosob

I would tell myself to stop trying to impress everyone. You cant please every person you meet. Dont try to be something you are not because at the end of the day, you are only left with you to deal with. Stand fimly behind your beliefs but respect those of others as well (as long as they dont conflict with the well being of other people). Focus strongly on your future career because its never too early to think ahead, but understand you can change your mind. Just be smart about it. Dont think you know everything. You are so young. Your parents were your age once upon a time so listen to what they have to say, it might save you heartaches and headaches.

Arden

If I could give my high school self any advise, it would be to try to concentrate more on school than anything. I sometimes got caught up in working several jobs through school and balancing a social life. I would have told myself to work smarter, not harder. To find one job that I would be able to provide for myself with and stick with that throughout school. I definitely would have told myself to READ THE BOOKS! Throughout high school, I was able to pass Advanced Placement exams without ever reading the textbooks. I thought that I could continue this through college, yet found out quickly this was not a feasible study plan. Once I learned that reading the assignments was necessary for good grades, my GPA rose.

Going back to talk to myself as a high school senior.. there are so many things I would say. First, I would say keep you eye on the prize. Things can be overwhelming, especially your first year of college. Transitioning from not doing much ot get good grades in high school, to studying around the clock to get a B or B+ in college, takes some getting used too. Second, I would say dont give up on what you really want out of life. I have always been interested in the medial field; my first year I was a pre-medicine major, and the classes were very intimidating. I changed my major to psychology after my first year. I dont regret psychology, because I can use that throughout my life, but here I am going back to school for nursing. Nursing, working with patients and the medical field in general is what I am really interested in. Lastly, I would tell myself that the only person that can hold you back is yourself. You are the person who chooses who you surround yourself with, how your behaviors define who you are; make decisions based on what is best for you!

Nella

I would tell myself do not follow your heart and what you were born to do. I would have made more money the past ten years.

Bryan

If it were possible to go back in time and offer advice and to a younger version of myself I would tell myself three key things. Since the world economy has taken a turn for the worst in regards to employment, interest rates, default rates, foreign wars, taxes, health care and overall future uncertainty, I would tell myself to ignore all the preexisting expectations of our society and be a little bit more pragmatic and independent. I think that in today's time it is generally expected for a high school student to transition to college with the hope of earning a great education and a very lucrative career. However, with improvement in healthcare, tax uncertainty, and overall economic risk, the baby boomer generation is working longer and retiring later, offering less employment opportunity for younger generations. In addition, governmental policy fluctuation and overall interest rate volatility is making it increasing more expensive and arduous for younger generations to earn an affordable education. All that being said, I would tell myself not to go to college, use the money instead to invest in “Apple” before they released the iPhone, and study computer programming to start my own social networking site.

joseph

The only thing I would tell myself is to handle everything myself. I left everything up to my mother when it came to the finacial aid and nothing ever went right.

I would tell myself that a boring repetitive job with a very high amount of pay won't be as good as a job that is fun and challenging even though it may not pay as well. I would tell myself this because I currently am changing my major to something I would enjoy much more than if I stuck with my current major. Other things I would tell myself is to find a balance between my studies and having fun. This is the kind of advice that I would tell myself.

Hold nothing back. Don't focus on the cost of the campus and don't sell your dreams short just to appease others. Tomorrow is never a guarantee so never take a single new opportunity for granted. If something interests you or sparks your passion then chase it with your whole heart and never be afraid to make a mistake because sometimes it is our mistakes that teach us the most in the end. Believe me, even when it seems like the world may very well be falling out from underneath your feet, you will find a way to fly...but only if you are willing to spread your wings first. Above all, believe in yourself and don't forget to have some fun every once in awhile, you'll thank me for this later when that midterm stress sets in, I promise you.

I would give myself the advice of working hard in college especially during the beginning year, and also to study up on my major and make sure that I went in with a base knowledge of what I was going for.

I would tell myself not to base my decision on any one of my friends or family. Look at the schools based on their academic rigor, student retention rate and which schools you truly love. Focus on your grades because the better your high school schoolwork, the better scholarships you can achieve. Follow your heart and be prepared to work hard while having the time of your life for the next 4 years.

Really think about what you want to major in, and maybe even stay undecided for a year, if the college allows it. You should stay on campus; it is an experience that should be had by all students for at least one year. Do not worry or stress yourself about grades, you don't need a 4.0 in every class. Do not worry about your loans too much. You have time to pay them back after school and will only add more stress to your college life than you need. And finally, join some clubs or participate in intramural sports or other other activites offered by the university; they are lots of fun and allow you to meet many great people.

m

Man Ting

Don't be lazy. College is not a game.

Mistakes are a part of life although sometimes we wish we could avoid them. When first entering community college I did not have all of the information that would lead me down the right path. I came into community college blind, and if I could go back into time and give myself advice before the transition it would be to do research. I would tell myself to research everything including the major, and what is needed to be done to transfer into an accredited program. I was mislead due to lack of information and communication amongst my advisor thus setting me back on getting accepted into the desired program of Radiology. If I could go back in time I would advise myself to speak with multiple advisors in order to confirm what the previous advisor has said. I would warn myself to apply to the program before registering, and take the prerequisites while waiting to be accepted into the Radiology program. At my past school I was mistaken, and thought I had to complete the general requirements before even applying to the Radiology program. I had a delayed start in my degree due to lack of information and communication.

Charity

College is not about having fun and getting away from your parents rules. Do well in college and your life will be made. A few years of sacrifice can lead to a lifetime of success. I neglected to buckle down and instead ended up joining the military, going to war and getting injured. My life will always have pain. That's where you will be in 10 years if you don't change my choices. You are me. You have the ability to change our life. Get an education. Make that a priority. I am going back to school now. I am making the choice I should have made when I was your age. I still have a chance to make something of myself. If I could go back and avoid my previous choices and save myself the pain I will feel for the rest of my life I would. You have that chance. Now at 29 I am going to college to be a nurse, so that I can help people. Make that decision at 18 instead; let our life be one of helping, instead of one of pain.

I would tell myself to take time to have fun and meet people outside of the architecture school. To volunteer with Buffalo Reuse earlier than I did. To work harder on studio projects, but not to neglect my other classes. There is so much I would love to have done with the community, but never got the chance. To have more of a social life would be the most important advice I could give myself. This would include joining AIAS when I was a sophmore and becoming involved in the organization on a national level. I would encourage myself to enter competitions and work on independent studies with faculty. Making more of a connection with faculty members is something I would encourage myself to do. There is so much I would tell myself the main being studio is not your life and faculty are not just professors.

Selwyn

I would go back and tell my high school self to be more dilligent when looking for schoarships that didnt require sending in my parents income. I would also have told myself to have gone to a 2 year community college so that i could make a better transition study and life style wise, and save a lot of money in the process.

kurt

be open to new ideas. do not party excessively, and keep on top of your studies.

Aubree

I've been exposed to a bunch of diversity and new situations. Some situations not always good, but it has only made me more sure of who I am. I found out who I was at college. I set my eyes on graduating early, and I'm doing it. I worked hard to make sure I could complete in time because I know what I want do with my life and I can't wait for it to begin.

Kenny

I feel like college was a place for me to experiment and understand more about life, academics and people. It was a great experience and I will apply what I've learned later on in the future.

alex

what i have learned from my college so far is that you can never stop learning. at my highschool i felt it was a waste of time because of the slow pace but once i reached the college leval things began to move so fast, and this i really enjoyed. at this fast pace i feel i will be able to learn much more and apply this knowledge in the real world.

Taryn

From attending the University at Buffalo, I was able to have a full college experience including both academics and social interaction. There are many majors offered at UB; students here are able to explore all options before choosing their personal major.

Norma

In life, I have had multiple experiences, none to match the experiences I have encountered at Buffalo State University at Buffalo. I am an older student, with a family. I currently have a senior that will be graduating this upcoming summer that is looking to attend a college herself. I felt at home, at ease, welcomed, among many other feelings. It was seldom that I felt the need to express uninterest or concern with the procedures, materials, or teacher direction, in the pursuit of my education. I would hope that my child will receive the same abundance of education at the college of her choice. The only disappointing factor of this school I must say is "parking." There is not an enormous amount of parking and bus transportation was always available. It became a customary routine to walk to class everyday; you tend to give up searching for the perfect spot. If this is something that is of no concern, then there is plenty for all to do at this campus.

Jasmin

College is probably the most intriguing experiance I have ever had. I used to attend a small International School in Eastern Europe where I only had four people in my graduating class. Sure I attended up until seventh grade in the states, but I forgot how intense a larger class can be. I have met new friends, and even reconnected with people, hopefully they forgive me, I had forgotten. I learned all sorts of new philosopies that I proudly live by, and have learned about things I didn't even think about. Attending university has enriched my life by giving me something to look forward to everyday, friends who share my interests and will hopefully remain friends with me for a lifetime., and a new worldview (Until my classes, I didn't even know what it was called.). I enjoy returning to my hometown, and like all the new changes. It's been a priceless experiance.

Willie

After high school, I didn't immediately go to college like my other peers in favor of taking a gap year in Austria. While there, I participated in German language courses and completed an internship in computer networking. It was challenging learning to live independently on top of learning a new language, but it was exciting to be exposed to an entirely different culture. I met several people from different countries including Macedonia, France, Belgium, and even Egypt! After my year in Austria, I enrolled at Grinnell College, taking classes in biology, music theory, German, and a tutorial required for first-semester freshman. My tutorial explored the border dividing humans and animals from multiple perspectives. This class challenged many previous assumptions that I had about animals. Did you know that an African Grey parrot named Alex could outperform chimpanzees in several tasks? Based on the discovery of animals displaying abilities on par with humans, we explored the novel idea that animals possess a sense of morality. From that we investigated the implications this had for animal rights. Learning about these new ideas and acquiring new skills keeps me hooked. I’m really looking forward to my second semester of college!

Having transferred from a small private school to a large state universty, I have learned that you get what you pay for. Small schools give close attention and professors will go out of their way to help you if you show effort. With small class sizes, it is much easier to know what is expected of you since professors are very accessible. It is much easier to make friends as people are in more close contact. Large universities are affordable but very impersonal. Since lectures are so large, professors only give a general overview of topics, you have to teach yourself details. Labs in science classes like chemistry and biology are taught by students, most are still undergrads, so when you have questions, most don't know how to answer because they themselves don't know the answer.

College taught me to work hard, and that I do not always have to be perfect in everything that I do. I've learned real-life skills through joining a sorority such as time management, decision making, and working with a large group of people to find a solution that serves the majority. I've learned to be responsible for my own actions and to do things on my own. Without moving away from home and meeting the people that I've met I never would have learned the same lessons in the same way, and I also never would have found that I have a passion for Greek Life and Student Affairs around my school.

Ellin

My three semesters in college has taught me a lot of valuable lessons that will guide me toward a better life. I have learned that college is not an easy time in life. You have to work tirelessly during the process, but it will pay off greatly in the future. In college, I had to change many habits and techniques of studying. I learned the importance of studying class material regularly and not leave all the studying for later. It is also important to start studying for an exam at least a week before the exam and spend as much time as you can at the library to study before the exam. Although it might be tempting to go out with your friends, you have to stay motivated and study when you have to. It takes a great deal of effort to be in college and even though it is difficult, it is worth every effort you put into it. College makes you develop skills and fill you with knowledge to make you an intelligent person. It also prepares you for a career of your interest and makes a difference for the better for you and the world.

My college experience has given me the opportunity to meet a immensily diverse group of people. These people have given me a greater perspective on how different people react to different situations, how culture and religion influence the thoughts and behaviors of individuals and that while every person is different we are all part of a common global community and have a responsibility to our peers. While meeting and congregating with a diverse group of people has given me a great college experience, the knowledge from college coursework has opened my mind to new information and multiple perspectives on subjects that are relevant to being an intelligent and productive member of society. As I continue as a college student I am confident that I will grow into a person that I am proud to be. I will also be a person who is proud to hone the knowledge I have obtained and use it to my advantage and in a way that will benefit my community, my country and my world.

I have been able to get a lot of my core classes and prerequisite classes for other schools out of the way. Their available class times were also very flexible. I was able to take classes online, so that I didn't have to waste any time in a classroom and I could get my work done quickly at a time that worked best for me. They offered classes in the evening and on the weekend, so you could better fit things with your own schedule. I myself have been able to arrange my classes so that I only had to go in two days a week. It was really nice and convenient. If you go and search on ratemyprofessor.com before signing up for classes, you can make sure to end up with a good teacher. The class sizes are nice and all the teachers are very happy to help you if you have a problem with anything. Most classes have an SI, a supplemental instructor, someone who has already taken the class and does free tutoring sessions that are voluntary for the whole class to attend to get help on anything they didn't understand.

Calie

College has taught me how to understand that several different individuals come to form a greater, more complex society, affecting the whole through their individual choices and roles in Life. In short, I have come to see how I am part of this "bigger picture." This concept is valuable to me because, in high school, I used to think that my career path, the decision I chose for my future would not leave any kind of impact in society. I believed that no matter what I chose to study, it didn't affect this "bigger picture." But through college, I got to interact with so many different individuals, ranging from single mothers working as nurses to high schoolers aiming at getting a headstart in their futures. In each, I saw what I was lacking: pride. Through meeting such a variety of personal achievements and purposes, I realized that we all contribute to our society. Whether we work as a humble teacher or a famous singer, we are all giving something for the next generation. Through college, I learned that I shouldn't feel ashamed on what I decide to study but that I decide on something and pursue it wholeheartedly.

Celia

As a student of University of Buffalo, I have been involved with all of Buffalo's activities. I am a member of the Circle K club, and have volunteered at a local soup kitchen, hospitals, food bank, and many other types of charity organizations. I am a member of the Asian American Association. It is a club where I have the opportunity to interact with international students. I have made new friends that have come from different countries and learned a lot about their cultures. I have been involved in the microbiology, chemistry, and biology research programs at my school. It has given me the opportunity to advanced my knowledge and prepare myself for my future as a researcher. Taking an opportunity to research ahead of time, gives me a better start on my future career, and allows me to further advanced into the next level. It is important to me because I wished to work in a clinical laboratory setting that allows me to deal with diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Overall, my college experience has influenced me to prepare myself for the future and have made me become interested in the field of applied biology and chemistry.

Tamara

Over last few decades autism tends to increase. It is my primary reason to work with kids who have communication problems and autism. I've recently graduated from KCC with an Associate’s Degree in Applied Science. I have taken numerous courses in the area of Speech Pathology. My favorite one is Language Development class where Dr.Greenberg explained the importance of all stage of kids development in the analysis of kids problems. Children appear to develop expressive language skills in the same sequential order and these are very important to continue the future Speech Pathologists to understand. I have a 3.833 GPA and i’ve been a Dean’s List several times. I feel that continuing my education would fulfill my goal of acquiring a Bachelor’s Degree followed by a Master’s Degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders. I keep an open mind to get experiences in academics. I also actively participated in extracurricular activities in my college years. I was a member of Speech Club, Honor Student and member of PHI THETA KAPPA International Honor Society of the Two-Year College. Xi Kappa is a very active student organization at Kingsborough.

After two failed attempts at school, I have finally found the courage to stand up for myself and assert my independance. My stepfather and then my husband derailed my learning adventures with snide remarks and emotional punishments that made success impossible. I am now a single mom, and I am happier than I have ever been. College has opened my eyes to the possibilities that exist in the world if I only have the courage to chase those dreams. I am setting the example to my children that knowledge is power. I will not allow them to follow in the path of ignorance that is their legacy. Sharing my adventures with them has inspired them with the desire to attend as well. My proudest moments will be when I get to watch them graduate, as they will cheer for me when I walk accross that stage.

Arethusa

Going to college gave me the opportunity to meet lifelong friends and opened the door to my graduate education. Through the many huddles, I learned the value of commitment, resourcefulness, and just being present. Self-reliance was gained when I realized no one is going to do the hard work for you. However, I also understand the importance of teamwork through assigned projects. I believe I am a more well-rounded person via the many different subjects that were part of my curriculum, from Women's Studies to Chemistry courses. I would not have the career I do today had I not gone. Being that I grew up in a single parent home where English was spoken as a second language, even simply the vocabulary I learned allows me to represent any employer better through improved communications. It fulfilled my mother's dream of me being able to support myself through a career that I love. I get to do this while helping others by protecting the environment. I have been able to work on a variety of projects from lead-based paint abatement right in my hometown to assessing the effects of road construction on water resources in Panama.

Louise

My time thus far at the University at Buffalo thus far, has been well spent. In the courses I have taken, I have been able to learn and grow as an individual. I have been challenged and pushed to great lengths in order to think critically as well as abstractly. I have enjoyed meeting new people and participating in student life events and activities. The transition from a small college to a university was not as intimidating as I thought it would be. I felt very comfortable and made aware of the available resources. When I leave, I wish to take all the skills and knowledge learned and apply them to my future career aspirations. It has been valuable to attend because it has shaped me into the person I am today. It has allowed me to be well-rounded and network with others. It has exposed me to a more diverse environment and extended relationships that can last a lifetime. It has been meaningful to me in the sense that I have experienced things that I will never forget, and accomplished the unthinkable in the eyes of others.

The biggest experience that I obtained was a hard work ethic. That was derived from sports. That continued in college and I was able to apply it to my academics now.

Nacolle

My college experience has allowed me to become a lot more independent. I do everything for myself and do not have a parent or gaurdian to remind me of things or help me. I have also expanded my vocabulary and intellect. I have learned a lot about myself as well as the subject of which I am majoring in. I have become less shy and more social and open to meeting new people. I have matured and became more understanding of how hard the "real world is". This is valuable to me because this experience has prepared me for my future and life on my own. I have learned to juggle friends and school work and I am doing well in my classes. This experience has diciplined me and made an adult out of me. I found out that its nothing like how the movies portray it; but it is a great experience that teaches you a lot about being on your own and succeeding.

Renee

I have learned that its ok to expand your horizons and you don't have to be in the classroom to learn valuable lessons. There are so many different ways to get involved and make new friends from joining a club sport to getting an on campus job in the food court. Everyone has their own story and everyone is willing to share their experience and help you with your own.

Alfonsina

SO FAR I HAVE GOTTEN ALOT OF DIVERSITY. I HAVE MEET ALOT OF GREAT PEOPLE WHO ARE SWEET. THE PROFFESSORS ARE SUPER SMART. AND THEY HAVE HELPED ME ALOT.

Going away for college and attending Buffalo was one of the few smart choices I've made as an adult. Independence and Individualism are sought and reached in schools such as my own. In college many realize that not many people are willing to push an individual to their full potential and so, that particular person becomes self reliant and paves their own road towards their own future. Its amazing what you can accomplish in four years., what you can transform into. Life will begin whether or not your prepared for it, so meet it head on. I am more then grateful for being able to take what my school is offering me, and I am more then ready to see learning and studying all the way through.