University at Buffalo

« See more reviews of University at Buffalo

A lot of professors here teach the same 101 lecture year after year, not a thing different. Thus, many people cheat and are rightfully bored out of their minds. Departments fail to cross-list. The "journalism certificate" is a joke. There are NO concentrations in majors. Lots of classes are "special topics" or at the discretion of the teacher and end up being awful, on only one book, on the teachers pet project, or the same as every other speical topics class.

Sometimes pros and cons can overlap. The fact that the school is so large is overwhelming at first, and for lack of a better word, scary. Navigating around the campus and trying to find the right building is a huge task for someone who isn't a "well-seasoned" student. Also, because the school has to accomadate so many students, class sizes often reach 400+ and you begin to feel more like a number than an actual person.

UB creates slave labor out of its students. We are forced to do "community service" when caught breaking the rules on campus, on pain of not being able to register for classes. The school is reluctant to issue more jobs to its students who need money because they can get the same work for free by using the community service rule. In an economic depression, job allocation is an essential part of digging oneself out.

The classed here are more harder than at my previous school New York City Tech. Some of the professor's ways of teaching are hard to grasp and I find my self needing to seek a tutor in order to understand the lessons. The turor's have helped me greatly but I hope the professsor's I get this sesmester are more clear and concise.

The price of food. They want students to buy the meal plans, so breakfast and lunch foods are priced around $7 and dinners around $9, which means that unless you have a dining plan you're paying a LOT of money for food. As a commuter, I prefer to bring my own lunches or just wait to eat until I get home.

class schedules, getting courses you need to get. They frequently get full and because of the sequencing they can be hard to get. I'm concerned about graduating in 5 years instead of 4 because of this.

Sometimes you just feel like a number. It's a big school so it's easy to get washed in with the bunch. You have to make a name for yourself; with professors, advisors and other faculty.

Administrators and advisors giving you the run-around, but in a way it does make a person grow by his or herself into an independent and mature individual preparing for the real world.

The combination of the poor weather and the depressing atmosphere and defeatist attitude of the actual city of Buffalo are the only frustrating parts about UB.

Catching the shuttle buses that transfer you from the north and south campuses due to the amount of students that may try and get on at any given time.