University at Buffalo Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University at Buffalo

Giselle

University at Buffalo is a huge public education facility. There is so much diversity and love on campus. Everyone gets along for the most part, and even though it is a big school, it feels small and focused when you make friends. Everyone is driven, which allows for it to be easier to study and do well.

Trinity

Overall, the university at Buffalo is pretty good. The school gives a ton of financial aid. Also the school participates in the excelsior scholarship, so many people don't have to pay tuition. However, the wifi on campus can be kind of slow sometimes.

Kimberly

I got both my undergraduate and masters from the University at Buffalo! I double majored in Classics and History and minored in Anthropology for my Bachelors. My Masters is in Transnational Studies. The education for the price cannot be beat. Study Abroad opportunities are numerous and the faculty are phenomenal. I have professors who, 6 years later, still meet me for coffee and recommend me for jobs. They pull their weight for you whenever they can. The into classes have huge class sizes, but your specialization classes and labs are much smaller. The setting is only ok- the campus isn't downtown which means that it is safer but not in the thicket of where the "fun" stuff is. If I could do everything over, I would still go to UB. I graduated debt free because the state tuition was so low! Other schools might have swankier cmapuses and ammenities, but students pay for that in their tuition. Go to UB, you'll be glad you did.

mira

The university at Buffalo has a great environment for studying and meeting new people. There is Always something happening on campus that involves students. Students and the faculty members are always friendly towards each other and towards other people. The University has all the facilities that help the student body and in particular, the athletics and fellow students with talents to achieve their goals and dreams.

shatoni

UB is a great place to find the friends of a lifetime while also providing a lot of academic support. It truly is a great university with so many opportunities and extracurricular activities, you'll never be bored! The staff is all so nice and welcoming, after a short while, this place feels like home.

UB is a wonderful school with a wide range of opportunities available for all students. Because of how large the university is, there's something extracurricular for everyone, whether its a cultural group, a political group, a club sport, or an interest based organization. These smaller extracurricular groups help to make a large school feel small. In addition, UB has a lot of resources available academically, from incredible professors to a wide variety of classes. It's easy to find research opportunities, get help with classes, and succeed academically here. Most people I've met have been engaged, driven, and dedicated to creating both a good college experience for themselves and a positive and motivated campus community. It's safe, the food is good, the people are great, and it's an incredible value.

christine

The University at Buffalo is a great school, there are many food options and multiple libraries to study at. Parking is usually hard to find during the popular class times, causing students to wait for someone to leave and follow them to their car. Other than that, most professors actually care to make sure students understand the material.

Daniel

Buffalo. Is a heck of a school. For one it, its freezing. Sure, its the best public university in New York , but its cold. Ice cold. I honestly don't know how some people like to go out during the winter when the enchanting of not freezing in your dorm is so alluring. Academics are good, but you have to realize that you go to a public research university. The professors on a whole don't have time, in their ever-present search for funding and academic credits, to effectively teach ( thats for a small liberal arts college ), but the resources to help you with classes makes up for that vastly. Buffalo is so big that you can effectively find your niche group(s) here comfortably. All in all, a great school.

Jonathan

UB is a great school to attend. The university has lots of resources for students to succeed and has plenty of opportunities for them to excel in their academic or professional studies. I am proud to be attending this university. I hope that other students can also say the same.

Tiffany

University at Buffalo has so much to offer! I am currently a freshmen who has just finished their first semester. It was hard to choose what to do after class with the amount of possibilities Buffalo has to offer. I have many interest and Buffalo had every club to fit into it. So many, I didn't have time to go to all. Football and basketball games are a must go. It's part of the school culture. It is a very big school, so having a car is beneficial. I feel happy going to UB because the professors interest me and the activities that are offered are endless. There is so much to do, I didn't even know what to do first. Everyone is school spirited. The weird thing about UB is there is a north campus and south campus that are about 15-20 minutes apart.

Wasee

The University at Buffalo is a great university in the Western New York region. The University is able to provide many of the resources that an undergraduate would look for in a college like great campus housing, flexible meal-plans, numerous libraries, hundreds of majors and minors to choose from, graduate programs, study abroad opportunities and many fraternities and sororities to join. UB probably ranks top 5 best universities in New York State. You'll find a wide range of students at UB, those who study seriously to those who slack off. The student life is great here, every weekend there seems to be a party and everyone generally seems very approachable. My biggest complaint would have to be the weather, Buffalo has the worst snow I have personally experienced. Even if there was 7 feet of snow outside, we would not get a snow day. Also off-campus housing is difficult if you do not have a car, and most students want to live off-campus to save money, since its half the price. I live on-campus since it truly gives me the college experience that I would not get if I lived off-campus. I am able to do research on-campus, and stay late nights at libraries if needed, and the UB police makes sure that the campus is generally safe. UB South Campus, on the other hand, is a kind of sketchy and there seems to be high crime rates in those areas. Overall, UB is a pretty solid university to attend and I believe if you live in New York state you would definitely not regret attending UB, primarily due an affordable college education that will prepare you well for the future. Go Bulls!

Malik

I absolutely LOVE my college. I have made friends here that I consider family, I have gotten involved in clubs and organizations that are both fun and helpful to my major (biomedical engineering), and my classes are both challenging and rewarding enough to brag about, with the addition that engineering is made fun and competitive as an overall major (building a boat with a team and then racing that boat against other teams, and then coming in first place is DEFINITELY fun and something to brag about). But make sure you bring the right clothes for the winter. Buffalo is freaking COLD!

Alysha

University at Buffalo is a great public school in the state of New York. There are many majors to choose from and it is an environment that allows opportunity and growth for their students.

Jacqueline

I transferred out of this school after my first year because it was not the right fit. I felt like I wasn't academically challenged, and that the school was very divided. It was hard to find people that cared for one another, and there was zero community within the university. Some people find their way here, however, if you want to find an academically stimulating environment I would strongly suggest you not attend UB.

Oghenetega

UB is a place where you are guaranteed to learn. There is a strong science and engineering influence here, so you are bound to meet someone just as nerdy as you. Parties are pretty accessible but tend to get shut down by the campus police. It can be annoying, but they have our safety as a priority. It's not hard to make friends here because there are so many people from all walks of life attending this school. Beware of the mountain of snow in the winter! it can be quite difficult to navigate especially if you are not used to this amount of snow. Overall, I don't regret my decision to come to UB. I've made lifelong friends and I know I am receiving a superior education at a great value.

Susan

I like the school. The school has a lot have academic resources and help. It's a good place if you really want to focus on study. If you want to go out and have fun, there are some opportunities during the weekends. If you like shopping and going to places you'll have to get your own car. The school has transportation on Fridays and Saturdays, but it's better to have your own car cause there are not much places to go if you don't have a car with you,

Emmanuel

It is a great school with great academics especially in the STEM fields. The school's sports are mainly devision one for major titles for both male and female. If you don't want the commitment of D1 sports, there are even more intramural sports. Hundreds of clubs. If you are bored, its your fault. Beautiful campus and great faculty. The food is campus food. Theres a large variety so not much to complain about.

Jacquelyn

The University at Buffalo is a professional, and competitive college locate in one the the best places to live in the U.S. We are proud to have such a successful campus located in Western New York.

john

great! love it!

Sydne

I have only been here for a little over a month but overall I love the school. My hall mates and RA are amazing, I love my classes and the teachers are great. There is a solid amount of homework but that’s fine. The food is actually really good and the campus is big but manageable.

Sydney

The University at Buffalo is educationally impressive, considering the economical price. There are some fantastic professors, as well as some highly motivated students. If you don't mind the cold, like to party, and enjoy a cohesive campus college experience, than consider it. If you feel you need a city-feel type of college experience, Buffalo is likely not the place for you.

Christopher

Good school with good curriculums.

Serena

University at Buffalo combines cultural understanding and the benefit of education in one inspiring environment. Although UB is known for its education, it establishes opportunities to express that they care for their students and that they want them to create an environment with fascination, and curiosity.

Ericka

The University at Buffalo is a great school for someone who wants the feel of a big school, but also a close knit school. The athletics have really been improved over the last couple years, winning multiple championships and going to the NCAA tournament in both men and women's basketball and bowls for football. Our spring and fall fest have brought some amazing artists, such as Lil Baby, Big Sean, Rae Sremmurd, Ashanti, Tinashe, Young Ma, and more. Even our guest distinguished speakers have been very cool, we have had former president Barack Obama, Malala Yousafzai, Jesse Williams, Laverne Cox and many more. There are also many clubs that students can join, and many fun events offered on campus during the school year. Now for academics, the class sizes can range from pretty small to huge. Basic classes such as Chemistry 101 or Physics 101 can have almost 400 students within the class, but what I really like what the university does is that they have recitations accompanied with these classes. A recitation is a set class time (outside of lecture) where a group of about 20 students get time with a TA, and can ask questions on certain topics and receive extra help. This was very helpful during my freshman year of college because I was not used to the big class sizes yet, so by setting time aside to get that one on one feeling of help was absolutely needed. I would say though that some professors are hit or miss. Most professors really care about their students and willing to answer any questions to help the students succeed, but some professors here you can tell are just there for the research and just jump through their lectures and answer questions very vaguely. Also, the amount of online courses offered not only in the fall, but also the winter and summer sessions to help students get ahead is tremendous. It was really nice during the winter or summer that if I want to take an online course I could do so in the comfort of my home. Now, I've heard that SUNY Buffalo is known to be best SUNY school for food, but to me the food gets very repetitive and I easily get tired of it, but some of my other friends disagree. I will say though there are tons of food places on campus to try out, and a bunch very close off campus that are very good. The university also offers the stampede bus to go to the mall or grocery store, and even to Niagara Falls. I really like UB, especially for the cost and home type feeling, I think others will enjoy it as well. My best advice is to make your college experience how you want to make it, academics should always come first, but also don't forget that fun and enjoyment is definitely needed, and it's okay to take a study break and enjoy the best four years of your early adulthood.

Cynthia

It's only been two days but I've enjoyed myself so far. The campus is large but there are shuttles that run regularly to help you get around. Bathrooms, water, and WIFI are everywhere and most buildings have some sort of food or coffee place in them. This is important in the winter, when traveling between buildings kinda sucks. Depending on where your classes are you may not even have to go outside to go between classes because of the extensive network of tunnels and bridges between buildings.

Zaenob

This is my first year at this University and I am so glad I made the decision to attend this college! It is filled with students who are hardworking and goal-driven. There are all kinds of niches for any student to find other individuals who share their interests.

Ameerah

It is a great school for academics, especially STEM-related fields. I wish they put more effort into social sciences and arts programs the way they do STEM programs. The social life aspect of the school is sketchy. It is not the most accepting place for people of color, even though they claim to try to be.

Dima

All the money goes to appearances: buildings, research, publishing papers ... anything to raise their profile, while undergrads are lost in auditorium-sized classes taught by grad students in training pants.

Nancy

University at Buffalo is an incredible university for students that want to grow and learn. The opportunities here are endless and offer a variety of forums for interacting with peers, professors, and alumni. The key to succeeding here at this university is simple: take advantage of everything. This beautiful school caters to every person's individual wants and needs and offers a variety of services for people adjusting to college life. Students here are friendly and open and the environment here is incredibly diverse. University at Buffalo is great for every type of person because it offers the perks of the city life will still giving students the opportunity to have quiet time with its beautiful rural/suburban landscape. The staff at this incredible university are very accessible and are very proud of their students. The professors here want to see their students thrive and offer a variety of free tutoring services to ensure that a student succeeds. This is a university meant for students that thrive in a competitive environment and see a bright future ahead.

Robert

All in all, the University at Buffalo is a great University to attend for students looking to become extremely social and have plenty of opportunities on campus. All professors are available outside of class which makes it extremely easy to get help with material you are having difficulty with.

Jenny

It’s what you make out of it. By meeting new people and forming relationships, I’ve made my first year at UB a good experience and have enjoyed it. There is a lot of diversity and you can learn a lot from the various opportunities offered. Always something going on around campus so it’s good to get out of your comfort zone and see what’s there. Food is not bad and there are a lot of choices. Dorming is a hit or miss really.

Mercedez

I enjoy the academic aspect of the University at Buffalo and I like that there are so many opportunities to better yourself. Due to the large size of the campus one may find it difficult to create meaningful social relations but that can be improved with campus involvement.

Arafat

Buffalo is a great university especially for students like me who has a major in stem. Being a big school adds on to why I would recommend you apply. There is always something going on. There are great opportunities for you to take. Tons of clubs to take part of and enjoy your college experience.

Alicia

The University is overall fantastic and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. It does not fail in any particular area and I have navigated through the huge campus effortlessly. Not only is there a huge variety food, but food is offered (and labeled) for every single dietary restriction, whether it's health or religion.

Jarrod

I love the school, the atmosphere and the buildings. It’s such a great campus and I do not have a bad thing to say about the school. It’s amazing, the classrooms are large and have great view points, to see everything, the professors all have regular office hours. Also, all classes are recorded so you can watch them later.

Frank

Amazing

Korrie

I feel as if the University at Buffalo is just right. The university is not too good it's not too bad, but just right. There is something good for everyone, whether you into academics or campus life we have it all. We are even rated #1 on​ the SUNY list for college food which kind of a big thing because one has to eat right.

Veronica

University at Buffalo is its own diverse community that continues to take college freshman and turn them into well-balanced adult persons and lead them towards the right career. University at Buffalo in cases all different types of practices and people, which helps students get a true feeling of the real world.

Rebecca

I have just begun my third year at the University at Buffalo. Over the course of my time here, I have been exposed to multiple educational and social opportunities! I receive weekly emails from multiple organizations on campus, keeping me updated on seminars, speeches, sporting events, housing programs (which typically include free food!), and on campus job opportunities. The University also prides itself on its wide array of degree options, it can seem overwhelming searching through the many choices, but the advisors are phenomenal, they offer honest advise and do their best to guide you in the best direction. Another aspect of UB that I find to be exciting is that its huge, staying in the dormitories your freshmen year can help to make it easier to connect with friends, however if you have an outgoing personality or even just have a drive to become involved you will flourish socially. As for class sizes, they typically start off fairly large, especially for your general education courses, however, depending on how far into your degree you are and your chosen program, they may gradually become smaller. As for difficulty, classes are not a joke, take every course seriously and if you begin to fall behind seek help immediately, the professors, mostly, want you to attend their office hours and will happily schedule other times to meet with you if those do not work with your schedule, they truly want you to succeed. Lastly, maybe most importantly, food! There are cafeterias, coffee shops, restaurants, fast food, and, as I mentioned early, free food opportunities! The food is actually really good and its fairly convenient, the on campus dorms and apartments are about a five to ten minute walk and there are buses every ten minutes that will bring you over to the center of campus if you do not feel like walking. Personally, I could not be happier with my choice to attend the University at Buffalo.

Lucrecia

It is a very large school with a variety of opportunities. Theres something for every kind of person to get involved with. Theres a lot of help offered for people struggling and most teachers are available to help as well. Parties to unwind on weekends are a lot of fun and happen weekly no matter how cold it is outside. Pretty safe at night because police is roaming around regularly, but you should always have someone with you at night even on campus. There are many people from different places, mostly from New York City and upstate NY, but there is a handful of international students as well. It is a great school for learning about yourself and growing as you meet many different types of people.

Mimi

The school is a pretty big school with a large variety of people so everyone can fit in. However the dorm rooms are usually small and the food is repetitive.The bathrooms are usually decent depending on where you go to. Lecture halls are huge so you best sit in the front.

Breanna

I love this school, so happy i chose it. The people are friendly and diverse. The professors are amazing. All the facilties are wonderful . I have met some really great people. The food there is the absolute best. I would suggest this school to anyone.

Nicholas

I am an alumnus and a current student. I exclusively commute to UB, since I am from the area. Overall, UB is a great school and offers excellence to those who are willing to work for it. The Buffalo area is close to attractions such as Niagara Falls, numerous wineries, and live music. There is something for everyone at the University at Buffalo.

Kelly

I loved going to SUNY Buffalo. I was lucky in that I had a number of very supportive professors in my department, who prepared me for my graduate career. It might be difficult for people who don't like crowds because it is very big, but I cant have imagined doing my undergrad anywhere else.

melaina

Personally I think University at Buffalo is too big, with not enough focus on the arts, and an unnecessarily tough curriculum. Most of the time i feel as though i'm floating through my classes and not really gaining any knowledge. My major, media studies, isn't really a big part of the school or its funding.

jehad

The university of buffalo is a well know school. So, I cant really speak for it but if I would have to present an outlook of buffalo I would say tremendous things. First buffalo does have its cons too, just like any other school. But the experience you can have by meeting new friends and developing long time relations, cant be beat from other schools. University of Buffalo is a place for students to develop a bright future and contain all the information that is accessible. In retrospect, I am Jehad Zatar, coming from a family with financial needs and I believe this school it meant to be for me and maybe others who struggle finding friends and need help paying for college.

Adam

I believe that the University at Buffalo is a very good school with many great opportunities to be found. I believe the students are given the resources to succeed and get involved in numerous things. Although I believe the University at Buffalo does have some room for improvement.

Alex

The biggest draw to this university was it's variety of available majors and courses of study and the affordability due to this school being a part of the SUNY system. It's still university and will cost you, but I was not saddled with a lifetime of debt after entering undeclared and leaving with 2 separate bachelors degrees in 4 years. The academics are rigorous depending on your chosen course of study, and there is a booming social scene. Amherst as a city is safe and easily accessible if you have a car, South Campus downtown is less safe, but accessible without transportation. Overall I liked my experience here, and if you are an undecided major incoming freshman who lives in-state, it could be for you also.

Kasandra

I love UB!

Norin

Buffalo to me is the best School to be in right now. I am thankful to be able to attend this school. During my high school years i didn't really take school very serious but, I was able to get an average GPA. I am very honoured to be able to attend the best school in buffalo NY.