University of Akron Main Campus Top Questions

Sage

They were tough but, small classes made it easier.

Faith

There are a lot of different majors for students to choose from

Tatiyana

Great. My favorite class is Human Relations which is basically Psychology and daily life blended together. I participate a lot in that class because I enjoy learning about Psychology. The students love their sports teams and support them no matter what. My major is Fashion Merchandising in the Family of Consumer Science Department. I usually ask questions to my professors whenever I need it and most of them are pretty helpful.

I think the academics at the University of Akron are phenomenal! I enjoy all of my professors, and I feel that all of the ones I've experienced so far are willing to help no matter what. They do their best and definitely show it. My favorite class would have to be "Intro to Psychology." It is so interesting, and I love learning new things definitely with how our brain processes different ideas. My major is Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. I've only taken one class for that, which was "Intro to Communication Sciences and Disorders." It was a great class, and I learned a lot from it! I can't wait to start my sophomore year focusing on my major =D!

There are many large lecture classes offered here at the University of Akron but even when the number of students is over 200 the professor will still know you by name and be willing to help you whenever you need help or have a question. The ached emits within the College of Business are amazing, they are challenging, but the only way to learn is through being challenged.akron does require some ore requisite classes that I feel are useless.

Trish

i find it interesting that all of my professors know my name. They have sometimes hundreds of students but make me feel like I am the only one, it is amazing that they can remember my name

Academics are very science and arts based. As a math student, it's nice to know that they are committed to giving every student a good education. All majors are definitely supported, and the teachers make sure you know what you're supposed to by the time you graduate.

Yes professors get to know you especially within your major. My favorite class would be construction admin. because it's laid back and not too difficult. Least favorite would be any Mechanical class, but Dynamics was the worst. Students study when they need to, a lot depends on the class workload and the teacher's grading. Average 5 hours per exam. Class participation is good, again a lot depends on the class set up and professor. Yes intellectual conversation happens between friends. Students are also pretty competitive, just go play sports up at the rec center. Native American History. Civil engineering major. All engineers are in the same building so you see a lot of the same people but it really depends how involved you are. The more you put into college the more your going to get out of it. I've seen some professors outside of class for meetings, working out or even to grab a drink. Akron isn't the best academic school overall in fact I'd say its pretty easy unless your in nursing or engineering. Education is geared towards learning, hands down. Getting a job is your responsibility.

As far as academics go, UA has an excellent engineering program as well as psychology. Many of my professors have written the textbooks used by multiple other schools, so I'd say we have some pretty outstanding professors who know what they're talking about. even in my larger lecture halls, the professors take the time to get to know each student on a personal level. There are some really cool gym classes too, such as archery, bowling, billiards and scuba diving.

Well, there will always be rashes of "24 hour flu" towards the end of the semester no matter what school you go to. However I have observed that students at UA tend to go to class more often than, especially once they are admitted into their core courses. This is because you are less likely to want to skip a class you are actively interested in.

Jeb

The academics at UA are second to none. The engineering program is one of the highest rated in the country and I can definitely see why. Depending on class size and professor involvement, they may or may not know your name. I've had countless classes where if you wanted to be noticed by the professor and want them to know you then you can, but if you would rather not then you can sit quietly and just take the class in. Either way it is your decision. In engineering, students study A LOT. Be prepared to be shocked of the difference between high school and college. In high school, I very rarely studied for any test or quiz and that is the furthest from the truth here. Not studying in high school put me at a disadvantage coming here though because I did not have the very important skills of how to get me through. Along with the classes, UA has an excellent co-op program for engineers that GREATLY increases your chances of getting a job after school. Overall, the program has an average job placement percentage of about 95{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}. For any career these days that is FANTASTIC!

Jeb

The academics at UA are second to none. The engineering program is one of the highest rated in the country and I can definitely see why. Depending on class size and professor involvement, they may or may not know your name. I've had countless classes where if you wanted to be noticed by the professor and want them to know you then you can, but if you would rather not then you can sit quietly and just take the class in. Either way it is your decision. In engineering, students study A LOT. Be prepared to be shocked of the difference between high school and college. In high school, I very rarely studied for any test or quiz and that is the furthest from the truth here. Not studying in high school put me at a disadvantage coming here though because I did not have the very important skills of how to get me through. Along with the classes, UA has an excellent co-op program for engineers that GREATLY