University of Akron Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Akron Main Campus

Elsie

The University of Akron is an excellent school, but could use some work in their online presence. Teachers are helpful and knowledgeable, the on-campus atmosphere is safe and conducive to learning, and there are plenty of available resources. I appreciate the branches, such as Wayne College, that are available.

Chloe

The University of Akron is one of my top 10 colleges to pick from because their tuition rates are very low and there are many scholarship opportunities. When I visited the campus, the tour guides were not only informative but they were also very friendly and welcoming, which made me feel like I was already apart of their community. They have so many programs to major in from nursing programs to business to even Criminal Justice programs and if you're undecided they even have someone you could go to if you need the help to figure it out. The dorms give you access to washers and dryers so you don't have to walk across campus, which I believe is a benefit for students who are living on campus and they also allow you to have visitors for up to three days. Furthermore, they have an on campus theater and a bowling area for students living on campus. I believe their recreation center from the rock wall to the swimming pool area is stunning, something to look forward to when deciding to live on campus. The University of Akron even has a special health center, for only $15, you are able to get a check up with certified nurses on campus. Their are many Sports and activities to choose from, including outdoor activities and events on campus. The job opportunities on campus are also another positive outcome to look forward to. There is always someone to help out on this campus. When I think of The University of Akron I think of a second home as to how welcoming and motivated they are to have every student who walks through their doors graduate and have a hopeful, successful future ahead of them.

Wynter

The University of Akron is a good institution to attend, being an alumnus of this institution has molded me into the person I am today. I still keep in contact with my fellow peers and if they need me to participate I am willing to do so.

University of Akron is a wonderful and affordable place to get a great education. It isn't a "fancy" place, but it gets the job done with giving you a good quality education. The professors are there to help you succeed, there are plenty of extras to be involved with, if you are interested. It's a good school.

Kristyana

I am very glad I chose to continue my education at the University of Akron. The school is beautiful, the students, the campus and everything in between. I have enjoyed all of my professors and the campus life has exceeded my expectations. I very much enjoy being at the University of Akron, go Zips!

Colton

The University of Akron is a fine school, that does fairly well in engineering and the sciences. It gives a good deal of help with engineering co-op searches and is well known for its Polymer program. I have only been a student here, so making comparisons is difficult, but for the price and education it is decent. I would like more, but I think the University is doing fine. Then again, maybe that's because I'm not a part of the 80 programs that they are going to end due to their enrollment issues.

The University of Akron is a great school for the price. It is not too pricey compared to other schools in the state and the programs offered are exceptional. The professors are well-qualified for their positions and the campus is beautiful. It is centrally located at the intersections of major thoroughfares so nowhere is that far away. The food could be better but there a lot of alternative options just off the main campus.

Brett

Looking at colleges in Ohio, you think Akron is meh. Its probably an okay city, sports teams aren't the greatest, there is crime in surrounding areas and there are homeless people on the corners around the city. Its not all flashy and famous, but as an engineering student, I wouldn't have chosen anywhere else to go, even if I had to choose again. i) Do I have plenty of comfortable, safe and quiet places to study? - Yea, I haven't even been to half of them in the 4 years I've been here, and I study A LOT. ii) Did I have to take a bunch of irrelevant classes to get into the college of engineering? - No, they recognize that the majority of their students know what they want to do and they want them to succeed quickly instead of stressing about getting into the program that the students are there for in the first place. Saves you money in tuition, time, and books you'll never be able to sell or use again. iii) Are there opportunities to separate yourself from the crowd and make you better than students at other high-dollar schools? - I can't stress this enough...If you can think of it and want to put the work into your ideas, you will find people who will help you grow. Whether you want to make your own club, get funding for a project, jump on someone else's project, it is a creative engineer's dream. The only thing stopping you is your own work ethic. The university greatly supports innovation through the large hospitals downtown, numerous start up companies surrounding the area and new development sweeping throughout the region. I will only speak for engineering, since that is what I know, but Akron has supported me through many ideas and has helped me grow into a very, very competitive student. I have formed my own 3D printing club, performed independent research, started biomedical projects, earned multiple successful internships all while learning my curriculum, staying healthy and having fun. Don't let mediocre sport statistics or cheap tuition prices turn you away. As an engineer, you want the best you can get for the cheapest price, and I believe, within the state of Ohio, the University of Akron has prepared me the best for the cheapest price within the most enjoyable 4 years of my life.

The campus has a very good vibe to it, especially in the early fall and late spring. The campus is not too big but looks as if it is. The professors are very nice and really care about how you're doing in their class and are almost always available for email or to set up office hours.

JorNyece

I didn't fall in love with the campus on the first visit but after I visited a number of times and finished my first year on campus I have really come to love The University of Akron. I am glad to call Akron my second home and I could not see my self anywhere else when it came to college. The campus is just the right size, not too big , not too small and they class sizes are just a little bit bigger than what you had in high school so the professors really make a one on one connections with their students. The university is so close to downtown Akron that there is tons of stuff to do on the weekend and only an hour away from Cleveland so there is always something to do. I love Akron and so glad I decided to become a zip!

T'ara

Overall I love the University of Akron campus. The calss sizez are not too big and they are not to small. Its enough people in the class for me to be able to get one on one help from the teacher and still be able to form study groups with students in the particular class. I also like that the campus is not a huge maze. Its a fair size where I can get to wherever I need to go without getting lost. The most important think I like about campus is that every staff member, employee, student, etc is willing to help with anything I may need help with and they are very friendly people.

Anne

Lots of options on campus. When it comes to parking, it sucks. You will never find a spot if you show up after 9am and have class in 15 minutes. Get there early in the morning or very early before class. Campus has lots of options with hundreds of majors and extra curricular activities. I appreciate how much i can get involved and the hands on experiences available.

Aaron

I very much enjoy the campus. it's very spacious and has plenty of activities for students to do. Joining a club offers even more to do and provides the student with information, exercise, or even just all around socializing. the campus during the spring is wonderful and the atmosphere there is good in general. overall a very nice campus and very helpful staff.

Tatiana

The University of Akron has provided many opportunities to get involved socially and academically. From the clubs or sports to Greek life and even working on campus jobs, there are all sorts of ways to get involved and be a part of of something great. The professors are always there to help and care about everyone's academic success. Not only is it such a good environment, the campus is also quite beautiful. The buildings, trees and landmarks located around campus all capture the beauty that is The University of Akron. While you may be feeling stressed or overwhelmed about the workload or exams, there are always people there to help, the togetherness of this community is what makes this university one of a kind.

Justin

I'm starting in the Fall for a Bachelors of Science in "Emergency Management and Homeland Security", the 3rd of its kind Nationally. From what I have so far experienced so far, the UA is AWESOME!! I wish there was safer/more reliable off-campus housing, but as long as you aren't moving you wife and kids with you it should be okay. The teachers are VERY helpful, and so are the student Ambassador's. The food is amazing and a standard block-lunch at Rob's cafe is All you "Care-to-eat", so you'll never go hungry here. The Campus itself is beautiful, and well kept.

Courtney

The University of Akron Main Campus is a good school. One thing I like about the school is that everything is within walking distance with the exception of a couple places (Folk Hall and Polsky Building). The overall environment is very welcoming.

Erinn

It really is a great CAMPUS. Can be dangerous elsewhere. As far as Professors go they all seem nice but others will be jerks. Nursing is good but hard (duh) but there are so many resources o use, such as, tutoring, library, professors office hours, study groups ect.

Alexis

The University of Akron Main Campus is absolutely beautiful. There are activities to participate in all over campus at any time throughout the day. Most people are kind, generous and overall enthusiastic. There is a strong welcoming atmosphere, and very diverse.

I feel that the engineering program here is phenomenal. You have to work hard to keep up. The only problem is that once you get behind in the work, you get left behind. There are tutoring centers. Those may be helpful but the most resourceful place for engineering students is the STEM program. I did not get in (scholarship program) but they still helped me. I needed help, they helped. If I fell behind, they would push me forward. Work REALLY hard.

Malachi

The University of Akron Main Campus is an average college. They have several good engineering programs with special services just for engineers. The campus is nice and safe (unlike the surrounding area) which allows many clubs and organizations to take advantage of the university. The price is relatively cheap, although sometimes it seems that we are paying for more than we receive.

Dianne

The university is very unorganized. The staff and faculty are very knowledgeable. However, the office staff seems like they don't have a clue. And there are so many majors that make the student take unnecessary classes. It just seems like the university just wants to make money. If I didn't already spend 4 years and a ton of money at the university and have a house, I would attend another university.

Alexis

The University of Akron is great! The professors are very kind and approachable while creating a great learning environment for the students. I feel as if it is a safe environment with plenty to do, whether you're playing sports at the Rec Center, studying in one of the many hidden areas in the library, or bowling in the Student Union. With many different clubs, organizations, and Greek life, there is something available for everyone. There is much to explore on and off campus!

Joshua

The Campus is beautiful, and It's is a great place to be. The students there are very friendly, and love getting to know people. Living on campus is amazing because they do little events in the dorms and they know how to show you a good time. The facilities are always available so that you are never bored. Overall The University of Akron Main Campus, is a great place to be.

Moriah L

I believe that the University of Akron is a good school to attend. I think that in recent years they have made significant positive changes to the campus grounds as well as campus life thanks to our student government as well as the new president. I think that there are certain policies that do have the best interest of all students but are still easy to comply with. It takes time to build tolerance and understanding to other people, places, and cultures but I do feel that our students stand together on various issues. Our faculty is also very active and I love that they stand with us and always give their support. #ZipsForever

Amy

The University of Akron is a great place to meet people and to find yourself. Due to being downtown, there's always a crime alert, but often times the students are safe. The University of Akron also has some of the best opportunities for students; whether its jobs, internships, extracurriculars, or facilities, students will feel thoroughly satisfied with what Akron has in store.

It is beautiful in all four seasons. We have so much diversity in our school and pull people from all walks of life. This school offers more affordable education than most universities in the area! There are plenty of opportunities to join various clubs and programs-even working on-campus will connect you with fellow students!

Reasmey

I'm an Akron Early College student and overall, the UA isn't too bad. The class sizes are small enough for my taste-usually not exceeding 60-70 people for lectures and 20-30 for regular classrooms. Some classrooms have amazing heating and cooling systems, big desks/tables, working technology (mainly elevators and projectors), and good wifi connection while others are questionable-it depends on the building. For example, CAS, Student Union, Leigh, Simmons, Bierce, Shrank (both), Auburn, and Olin ARE SUPERB. While Kolbe and Crouse's elevators make strange noises and Polsky's water fountains used to be milky (fixed). Also, some buildings have a slightly confusing layout. Some days, the wifi works like magic while other days, it's slower than a sloth trying to urinate. As for student life, it's pretty easy for people to get along here. I've made friends in Early College, college classes, and whilst volunteering with UA organizations. If I have questions about LITERALLY ANYTHING, I go to ALL my advisors. They know who to call, recommend, and will do EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER to get you help. If you bad bothering your advisor ALL the time, then you can always get a peer-mentor. They get paid for helping you out--so go ahead and exploit them. Also, Choose Ohio First is a huge program here. DO NOT FORGET TO APPLY FOR THEIR SCHOLARSHIP. Honestly, if you are ever confused, you can go to the Admissions Office, Career Center, [X]L Center, Accessibility Office--just ask or look it up. SUPPORT IS EVERYWHERE. Next semester the UA is going to implement the "5-Star Friday" system, and I can only hope that it works out.

Destinee

The education is terrific, I love going to class, talking to professors, the student union and the library but in my opinion, the negatives outweigh the positives. Living on campus has been a bummer my freshman year! I pictured fun, cool roommate, outgoing campus but that was short lived. I absolutely love the multicultural development office, advisors and my learning community peers because those are the factors that kept me going this year. I am thankful for that! This campus is extremely dead, no joke on the weekends compared to our rival school which is Kent because nobody is here, so it looks like a ghost town. Food places do not like to be open, so there are limited choices. Once I go to our food cafeteria, it just seems like everybody is a zombie and they act rude while serving the food. I mean I get it you are tired, but your job is not going to get any better moping around waiting till your shift is off. I just feel like I am in the twilight zone sometimes because in college I have met different people! My roommate likes to go out a lot, not much of a talker towards me and people are not happy here. The environment kills the vibe. As of my upcoming sophomore year, I decided to go to Ohio State University, so I can be closer to home! This school does not have many activities to get into and trust me I tried, but the leaders were distant and our meetings did not last long. For an example I tried rugby for the first time, it was painful and awesome at the same time and soon people stopped coming, upperclassmen did not care as much and we lost contact. My reaction towards this school is terrible, it is hard living here with nothing to do. Overall this college is not for me, but I did learn something from here which is I need to choose things more carefully.

Veronica

As a first year of the University of Akron, I felt welcomed from the moment I stepped on campus. I have enjoyed every experience and I have grown from them. I have developed wonderful relationships with my teachers and fellow students. The teachers want you to succeed and will give instructions, but they will not hold your hand. There is a lot of freedom. However, each person must be responsible for actions and choices. I feel very safe on campus. There is a community of people who want to do the right thing and help others. Whenever I am in a stressful situation, there is always someone I can talk to. Such as: academic advisers, counselors, upperclassmen, teachers, and friends. The support from these people has made my experience at Akron all the better.

University of Akron has some of the most involves and caring professors, however their location is probably one of the worst. They are mixed in with the city creating higher crime rates then normal. Otherwise the small class sizes and extra activities make it a great place to learn.

Cassandra

The University of Akron to me has the best campus community that supports everyone and everything that you strive for. The campus police is always out making sure that everyone is safe and is getting to their dorm or car safely. The activities/sports/clubs are tremendous because they all interact with the students and staff and make sure that everyone feels welcomed. I would most definitely pick The University of Akron as a top college choice because of the quality of care the staff/current students have for one another, the safety of the students, the food, living courtiers, and most importantly the clubs/organizations that students can join is crazy because of how many they have that can fit a students needs/wants to do better in our world!

Jerine

The University of Akron Main Campus is a very good college if you like a big, outgoing, party setting school. Academically UA is a 5 out of 5. The professors let you know when their office hours are so you can get in touch with them if you have any questions. Love being a Akron Zip.

Daniel

I really like this campus. You can find other people have similar interests as you do in almost anything. It's connected to the city of Akron, which also makes it pretty cool, as you have a city on one side, campus next to it, and off-campus housing on the other.

Yadana

The University of Akron is a very quaint school, its a very affordable school and the faculty are quite nice. It's not OHIO State but it can hold itself. With the new president, the University is definitely growing and getting better.

Damion

My overall opinion on the University of Akron is that overall it is a great school academic wise and the campus is a very beautiful campus I really like the arches we have here. Akron's students have great school spirit and really enthusiastic school pride.

Dlal

I am currently a Freshman at the University of Akron, I plan on going into Pre-Med to become a General Surgeon, and doing a double major in Biology and Chemistry as well. When I was in High School I was on campus most of the time, because the NIHF STEM High School (the school that I attended in high school) is on campus, in the past four years I met a lot of new people students and staff. I also got to attend a lot of important events. So when I was deciding a college that could meet my expectation for my future it was easy for me to choose because of how interactive the University of Akron is. They care a lot about the success of their students futures, and that's why they provide a lot of different opportunities for their kids so the could succeed in the future. I truly admire the University of Akron for all the hard work and opportunities they provide so they could help their students, and I am truly happy, and proud to be representing the Zippy's, and one day with all the of the hard work and help of the University of Akron I will be able to accomplish my goals and dreams for my future.

Darius

I really like it there. I just really wish they taught in a way that I actually find fun. I am not afraid to go through a lot of work if it's something I like, and even if I don't like it, I understand there are things in life where people have to do the things they don't want to. I am willing to do this and accept it as well.

The campus and it's facilities are always clean. The grounds look pretty, especially in the spring and summer. There are lots of organizations to get involved in, like ice carving, ultimate frisbee, Greek Life, service groups, and ballroom dancing. My professors have always been welcoming and willing to help. The students are fun and relatable.

Makayla

Everyone is very helpful; both staff and students! While campus may not be the most beautiful I am proud to call it my home!

Melissa

University of Akron is a great college to start a career in engineering. There are support networks everywhere, it is just a matter of the student utilizing what is available to them. The professors really care about your success and will do what they can to help.

University of akron is beautiful for the diverse culture it has. So many different people with beautiful stories. The info structure is wonderful and only getting better. So many choices for campus living and are very nice. The crime is high on that area. Not enough parking. Overall a great school.

Abdoulie

Its a great a college and I hope to finish my education there.

Hallie

Akron is a pretty decent school. Overall the campus is pretty quiet and in my opinion there isn't much going on. Akron is a small enough city that it's easy to get around but big enough that there's lots going on (If you look for it). There's also a highway going north and south right by the school and lots of nature close by. I would consider myself to be of average intelligence, but the relative ease of my classes surprised me.

Trvaughn

I really enjoy the university. The only downfall I that I'm paying for classes I didn't attend. Theres plenty to do around. You an tour downtown Akron go see for yourself. There are Rubberducks Games to see and plenty of good places to eat. The best around place to eat, hands down has to be Mr. Zubs.

I wish that the professor would put forward a better effort in caring about their students. It's difficult to learn when all classes are completely rushed, there would be a test every week and then you are scolded when you don't do well on the test. It's difficult to keep up, especially in a major such as engineering.

Melanie

Akron provided me with awesome educational opportunities that I don't think I would have received somewhere else. The college of Sport science and health and wellness has the most up to date technology provides students with hands on experiences. The teachers are knowledgeable and I value the education I received there. The tuition is rather inexpensive compared to some larger state schools. I feel like the education I received was a great value for what I payed. The school offers a variety of different scholarships to make education more affordable.

Nina

I have partaken in college classes while I am in high school. I have though, been on campus. I think that parking is terrible and the bookstore was missing most books. The professors I have had were alright. I had a terrible calculus professor who did not care about the students and did not help. I did although, have an economics and sociology professors that were very kind and helpful. The only problem I have with this is, although sociology and economics are helpful, math was a major priority and I was not receiving help from the professor. When seeking help, I was turned away or told to study more. Overall, I did not like the University of Akron.

Courtney

The University of Akron is a great college. Everyone is friendly, no ones a stranger. I love the classes and like my professors. We love our sports. Everything is convent around the campus. Parking could be better when they have certain sections blocked off, should open all parking lots for everyone.

Britney

This school is the perfect fit for me. The campus is beautiful and a little spread out. The staff and professors are usually very kind and helpful. The food options aren't very healthy but there are some good choices overall. Classes are mostly Monday through Thursday, which can cause scheduling conflicts. But overall, this school is a great option to consider.

Nyeshja

Great education, great environment. Even if you live off campus, there is still that tight-knit feel and vibe. The resources are awesome. There are 24 hour tutoring services, a campus shuttle, information desks. It is very easy to find work on or off campus.