Birmingham, AL
University of Alabama at Birmingham

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Alabama at Birmingham

Savannah

UAB is located right next to the Birmingham hospital. Therefore, most students are enrolled as a Biology major. Attending UAB means many connections to the hospital and a competative graduate program. Because our graduate program is so competative, it pushes students to be the best that they can possibly be. When only the top students make it out of the graduate program, it means that UAB makes the most advanced doctors in the country.

Going into college, I was leaving all my friends behind. My greatest fear was that I was not going to be accepted by others the way that I was accepted by my old friends. I was afraid because I do not drink or go to parties, and college was known for its parties. I didn't want to become someone I wasn't. I wanted to be loved and accepted no matter what my actions were. If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to trust in God more and to not worry because I am not by myself. When I got to college I realized that many other students prefer not to drink. I was blessed with an abundance of friends who stayed home and studied with me on a friday night. I wish I could go back and make myself less stressed as a high school senior because now I know that college is going to be the best years of my life.

People that cannot comfortably keep at least a 2.5 GPA should not attend UAB. This University is far advanced from the community colleges that students go to after they barely passed high school. All classes - even classes that most people would expect to be easy - require hours of study time weekly. However, if you are passionate about your degree like I am, then UAB is the best choice because the teachers want to help you succeed and will try to make learning easier for their students.

Christina

The most unique attribute to UAb is that the school is very diverse. There are people from all walks of life that choose to attend this institution of higher learning.

If I could go back in time and offer advice to my former self, I would definitely tell my high school self to be prepared and focused for college. I believe that many people initially think of college as the chance to be free and therefore, do not have limits. The person I am now, older and a bit wiser, would tell my younger self that the main objective for attending college is to obtain a degree to have a greater chance of securing the success of my future. I would put much emphasis on this when speaking to my high school self.

the worst thing about UAB is that they have recently decided to get rid of the football team. The academics are great at UAB, but sports related activity are a very popular interest of college or intended college students.

Julie

Don't take everything so seriously. Be ready to laugh at yourself. Don't spill your life story to everyone you talk to. Be cautious until you really get to know someone. Don't overreact when someone hurts you. At best, you'll have to apologize to someone. At worst, you'll lose a friend. Don't worry about how many friends you have. Not everyone can be a social butterfly. It is best not to get loaded at parties. Alcohol makes people stupid. Be kind to yourself even if other people aren't. Remember why you are there (at college): to learn. Homework and studying ALWAYS come first.

Their email system. The email addresses for the individual departments don't work on external emails. Furthermore, the IT Department has neither fixed it nor told the individual departments about it.

Maegan

Dear High School Maegan, College is coming. It's coming fast and it will be here before you know it. Although it is scary at first, it will be the best time of your life. It may not be one of your top priorities right now, but I think you should visit as many college campuses as possible. I really love my school, but sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice. Also, apply for as many scholarships as possible! They may not seem very important right now, but when tuition is due, scholarships help more than you could imagine. Most importantly, do not lose your values. College is full of temptation, frustration, and new experiences. Above all, do not lose who you are and what you believe in. Sometimes it is the best choice to not fall into peer pressure and to create your own path. Always keep your final goal in mind, stay optimistic, and put all of your faith in God.

I love the diversity of my school. It is the most diverse college in Alabama, and this is very clear from the wide variety of people that I come in contact with. Everyone is from different places and has a unique story.

People that are not dedicated or determined to succeed should not attend this school. The professors challenge the students to put forth their best effort. They expect a student to invest their time and knowledge into the courses, and the students should be able to do this if they hope to succeed.

DeMarcus

The University of Alabama Birmingham is very diverse and I love it. Growing up I went to majority minority schools and didn't have the opportunity to mix and mingle with of ethnic groups. UAB offers all of that and much more.

The only type of person that shouldn't attend UAB are people that aren't goal-oriented or like diversity.

Rebekah

UAB is best known for medicine. MD and nursing especially. We're also known for having a crappy (and now non-existent) football team.

I wish I had known how research-oriented this university is. It's an R1 university, and research is huge. That means great opportunities for students to become involved in research much earlier than other students, and in a much better institution.

Tierra

University of Alabama at Birmingham is the most diverse, top research university, a powerhouse, and a vital part of the state of Alabama.

If I could back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to apply for more scholarships. I am an out-of-state student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and tuition is very pricey. As a high school senior, I applied for numerous scholarships but most, I was not awarded. Paying for college has become very hard for my family and I. Paying for tuition, as well as, daily necessities, such as food or school supplies, has even become a problem. Therefore, I now know that I should have applied earlier for certain scholarships and I should have applied for those of larger amounts.

The best thing about the Univerisity of Alabama at Birmingham is its diversity. The diversity of UAB makes everyone comfortable. You are exposed to many different cultures and traditions outside of your comfort zone which is good because once you graduate from college and enter the "real world" everyone is not like YOU. When you enter the work force or which ever career field you choose, everyone will not be the same, and graduating from UAB would have prepared you for this.

Shenique

Dear high school senior me, College is a place to finally embrace yourself. You no longer have to pretend to be something you're not because your "friends" don't accept the real you. By the way, you probably won't hear from anybody you went to high school with after the first month of college. Remember when you were going to apply for all these ivy league schools? You should've because you were smart enough and just as determined as anybody else. Don't put yourself down, you weren't just smart but you studied, neglected your social life and it paid off because you are going to make the honor graduate selection. By the way, I wish you would've used those scholarship lists and applied. Just because a person is smart doesn't mean that money falls in their lap. You have to apply against a thousand other qualified students. Even though there won't be a next time, have a plan A, B, and Z school choice; plan Z as in the plan when everything that could posibly go wrong will!!! Lastly, college is so full of freedom, enjoy it! With love, College You

The best thing about the University of Alabama is the location. We are in the heart of downtown so the possibilities for hangouts are endless. We also receive a passport book that guarantees students one free entry into museums, art centers, and historical sites to learn a little bit more about the rich history of Birmingham. There are pleny of places to go in walking distance because the school is surrounded by so many business and food places so you never run out of things to do.

The worst thing about the University of Alabama is that they don't have a payment plan for students who are struggle with paying the expense of college out of their pocket. Sometimes life gets tough and many situations may affect a family financially.

Danielle

My school is Career-focused, goal-oriented, and a well diversed university.

My school is Career-focused, goal-oriented, and a well diversed university.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself three pieces of advice. The three pieces of advice I would give myself would be to study harder, apply for more scholarships, and to focus on my goals and aspirations. The first piece of advice would be to study harder. By studying harder, I could have made better grades my freshmen year in college, which would have allowed me to earn more scholarships and helped to better prepare for med school in the future. Studying harder would have given me the work ethic required to become successful in every aspect of my life. The second piece of advice would be to apply for more scholarships. Applying for more scholarships would have made college a smoother experience. By applying to scholarships, the cost of tuition would have drastically decreased and would have elimated the struggle and anxiety that is caused by student loans and debt. The third piece of advice is to focus on my goals and aspirations. Being career-focused would allow planning for my future and would give peace of mind when the goal is completed.

My school offers opportunities in achieving real life careers and excellence in every disipline. The academics at UAB are supreme and the students strive to maintain high GPAs.

Em

During my senior year, I felt so hopeless that I couldn't even bring myself to be excited about moving away for college. Being at the end of a toxic relationship that ended up terminating most of the friendships I'd had since middle school, not being able to be out as queer to my parents, and struggling with an ED, it was hard for me to see past all the bad that was in front of me and look forward to a future of endless possibility. If I could go back in time and tell myself one thing, cliche as it sounds, it would be to let myself know that things were going to become so indelibly great that in a year's time-- that I'd be a completely different, wholly better person with goals, accomplishments, and a great job at an NPR news station. While I know none of this ever could've happened if it wasn't for the long road that brought me here, if my high-school self had even had an inkling of how great things were going to be, I think I could've saved myself a lot of trouble.

I wish I'd known that slacking off is a downward spiral-- keeping the dedication and passion that you feel on day one is totally crucial to doing well.

At least in my first year of school here (other than adjusting to the stress of college, of course), my experience at UAB has been practically flawless. If I had to pick one downside, however, it would definitely be the tuition hikes that have resulted from the unecessary rebuilding of perfectly good facilities. Although the development and creature comforts that UAB has to offer are really great, we could definitely do without if it meant a more affordable education.

University of Alabama at Birmingham administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.