Birmingham, AL
University of Alabama at Birmingham

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Alabama at Birmingham

The best way to describe my classmates is as follows: Diverse. The University of Alabama is one of the most diverse campuses in Alabama, and we're proud of it! Even though we are diverse we all get along very well and it enhances the college expreience because you learn so much from each other.

If I could go back to when I was a senior in High School and give myself some advise it would be to work on my organization and time management skills. In college, every time you turn around there's a new deadline coming up, a project due, and a test to study for. I would tell myself to go ahead and make a panner my best friend because keeping up with so much work for so many different classes is hard to do. I would also tell myself to learn to be more organized, to keep all my flash cards and notes from different classes, because you never know when you're going to need your old notes. But the most important thing I would tell myself is not to procrastinate. College tests are nothing like the ones in high school where you could study the night before and make an A. I would tell myself to start studying for any test atleast two weeks in adavance.

The best thing about The University of Alabama at Birmingham is that even though your almost dead center in downtown, when you're on campus, it still feels like a college campus with the benefit of having so many places to go to eat and visit with friends only a couple blocks away.

Tierra

From freshmen to senior year, I was a participant in my high school’s International Baccalaureate (IB) program. This enabled me with the opportunity to earn college credit through pre-college courses; if given enough credits, I could have entered my first semester of freshmen year at the University of Alabama at Birmingham as a second semester sophomore. Unfortunately because of the choices I made, I did not receive my IB diploma. By not prioritizing my time to study for my IB exams, this caused too low scorings on my exams to receive college credit and my IB diploma. If I could talk to my high school senior self, I would beat into my head how important it is for me to earn my IB diploma. I would stress myself about studying for those exams because now I’m retaking and paying money for classes I have already taken in high school. My high school self would know the expenses I have to pay now with being an out-of-state student and how getting my diploma would save me thousands of dollars that could go toward Medical School in the future.

The best thing is how rigorous the cirrculum is in the sciences.

I wish I knew how to campus looked before I came.

Arnasia

It is amazing how there can be so many cultures and races on my campus, but yet each group remains segregated to their own people and people very similar to them.

Hey Arnasia, it’s me…….well it’s you a year from now. I know you thought that high school would be the best time of your life. Newsflash, things seem to be pretty great the older you get. College is indeed as hard as you thought it would be, if not harder. Those classes you used to get by in by doing the bare minimum? Change those habits now before you go to college. College requires hard work, effort, and studying—just doing well enough will not work, and that top ten percent GPA of yours will suffer. Those assignments you used to do on your own? College changes your mentality about teamwork completely. It is impossible to make it through college without the help of a few, or a lot, of your classmates. “We’re all in this together” stops becoming a Disney cliché and becomes a true statement. You are going to be fine, and you will adjust just fine to the big university. As you move on to this next transition in life, move with poise, positivity, and persistence. Take a deep breath and fluff your hair—the next four years are going to be amazing.

Having extremely hard courses with very little social events to get away from the academic stress would have to be the most frustrating thing about UAB. Academa is very important, but as young adults it is very important to have fun and live the "college experience" not just the college workload.

Candeis

Our school is unique becasue it fosters an enviornment that encourages their students to learn and strive for excellence. I think it's unique because some schools are not focused on the success of their students. It feels comforting to know that our professors really desire for us to succeed and challenge us so that we can become the best.

Ok, you are a high school senior now.... What's next?? I know that question is daunting right now but must be considered. Please take some time out and do a lot of research on different career paths. I think it would be wise if you did some shadowing on different careers to grasp an idea of what each entails. Once you have shadowed a few professions, start working on your networking skills. It is helpful to know people who are in your field of study. Additionally, I think it would be in your best interest if you purchased a planner and started working on being organized; that will help you tremendously. College is tough but you can do well if you apply yourself. After working on becoming organized, start applying for scholarships, college is expensive and will not pay for itself. Last but most importantly, start now! Break your awful habit of procrastination. It is a terrible habit and will only harm you in the long run. Read before class and take notes, ask questions if you don't understand the material and if you optimize your opportunities to learn, you will excel.

I think that the curriculum would best fit someone who is goal oriented and very dedicated. Some course can be difficult so if a person is not dedicated to their studies they may not be successful. It would be in the best interest of a student if they were centered in their goals. Being goal oriented would enable a student to establish their path and stay committed. If they envisioned their goals and continued to pursue them, nothing would stop them from becoming successful.

Bareera

Our school is best known for ground breaking medical research and engineering development. Our medical school always ranks very prestigiously and we are very well-known for our research in topics concerning disabilities, geriatrics, and AIDS. We also recently won awards for our women's health program. Overall, our school is known for its prestige in STEM disciplines.

You will always find a place in a university. At this school you will meet very kind and intelligent individuals. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, make them early in the game and be the first one to own up for them. Be aware you are going to make many mistakes, but it's okay because it is a part of transitioning into independence. You go one day from showing up at the dinner table with your mom's cooking waiting, and then struggling to buy a can of soup nearly overnight. These struggles will only help you grow, and give some fun stories to share with your friends. In addition, try the things you are afraid of immediately. You will be surprised to learn that the things you feared most happened to be the very first things you fall in love with. Calculus being the main example. And also remember that unfortunately you have not figured out life's meaning yet, I'm sure that must be disappointing. However, don't worry, you'll grow to be happy with the realization that you know nothing. The journey becomes more interesting then.

The diversity here is amazing. In addition to the vast variety of cultures and identities you will meet, there are many career opportunities available for people serious about an education in their respective fields. The professors here are very professional and well-known experts, and it is also a very affordable and accessible university for people from all walks of life concerning age, racial identity, gender identity, sexual orientation and so forth.

Get focused early. It is alright to get out and explore being on your own, but don't allow this to hinder your schoolwork. Take every class seriously, even electives. Just because you can skate by and still pass doesn't mean you should take that route. Remember, that A that you could have earned had you tried your best will be useful in cushioning your GPA later in your college career when the course load gets harder. The more hours accumulate, the harder it is to raise your GPA. Give yourself a fair chance. Start reaching out to companies you would like to work for early. Volunteer or get involved in an internship. You will need these references later, not to mention the experience will be beneficial to your resume. Get out and make friends. All work and no play will drain you and cause loss of motivation. Surround yourself with positive individuals who want you to succeed and who know when and how to relax. When you look back on your college experience, you not only want to be able to say you did well in class, but also that you made long-lasting relationships. Best of luck!

Get focused early and start reaching out to companies you would like to work for in the future. Volunteer or get into an internship. That way, when you do graduate it will be much easier to get a job. Do not wait until your sophomore year to decide on a major. Take your classes seriously. Just because you can skate by and get a B does not mean you should. You might need that A that you could have earned to cushion your GPA later in your college career when the course load gets harder. Every class counts, even electives.

I tell them that my school is very diverse, and I love that because the last thing I wanted was to go to a predominantly white, black, or any other race... school.

Queen

University of Alabama at Birmingham, is best known for their outstanding fields in medicine.

If I could go back in time to talk to my high school senior self I would give the advice, of patience, self motivation, and open-mindedness. Where college is a new and open world to most people who enter it, it is important to make a smooth transition on an individual’s way to adulthood while in this environment. Patience is key, the difficulty of making new friends with diverse groups of people, and also academically, where one could not get an answer or assistance in an instance. Self motivation, because my old environment was made up of adults who forced motivation, where in college, where almost every aspect of the learning process is completely left upon the student, motivation becomes difficult, but I must become independent and motivate myself, and not rely on figure heads or others to do the motivation for me, because that option will not always be there. Lastly open-mindedness, where high school introduced you to the world, college life constantly causes you to submerse yourself completely into new people, experiences, and ideology.

The best thing about my school is the pleasant plethora of students who differ in cultures and ethnic backgrounds, because this gives an individual knowlege of the world around them in a confined and controlled space.

Dennis

The advice that I would give myself if I was a high school senior is not to procrastinate. I would not wait until the last minute to do certain assignments try to start on them once the teacher assigns them. Just always study and do my work.

The best thing about the school is being diverse. It so many different nationalities that attend that school and everyone does get along.

Parking because if you dont get a good parking spot in the morning around 8 or 9 then you have to park far from your class.

Meaghan

We are a small school where you can see some of the same people everyday walking around campus. But not so small that you know everyone. This school is the smallest school I applied for and I could not be happier.

I would tell myself to take less than 17 hours my first semester. And don't take any classes before 10 AM. That was my downfall my freshman year. And that is the reason I have had to work extra hard to get my GPA back up over the past couple of years. I would tell myself to be sweeter to my family, so maybe I wouldn't have to apply for every scholarship I could find. I am very blessed to have a family who have supported me throughout my life.

The fact that they are thinking about shutting down the honors program.

UAB is an university that has a sense of community, family, and a sense of pride of what the students and university is doing in the community and what they are striving for in the future; UAB has the aspect of all of the fun and action of bigger school but students can fill proud that others can't just go to the store and buy UAB things they have to come to the campus to get those items.

UAB allowed me to fullfill going into the medical field with more then one option at the school and connections in the medical field. It allows me to be just far away from home that I can be independent but with a school that supports with my dreams. This school allows students to have fun of a bigger university with the classes of smaller schools. It has teachers that have PhDs in thier background teaching the class and they are researching that field while teaching for students to have the best information in each field.

Fill out scholarships! Money does not grow on trees and getting an eduaction cost a lot of money. Take your ACT again for a higher score because one point higher can be worth thousands. Get a job whenever you can because books alone can make you spend your whole graduation money and birthday money. Have fun in highschool but also think about whatever you want to do later in life. It is ok if you do not know what you want to major in. Spend as much time as you can with your friends and family your senior year because soon everyone will be moving. College classes are like taking all AP classes and your teachers in college will not babysit you and they do not care if you skip class that just hurts you. Stop worring about relationships in high school and sex because really it is over rated and you spent way too long worring about boys then working on class work. Retake any AP tests if you can because it can be worth money the $100 or college credit. Just take a breathe and stop trying to rush into college and growing up. Take it slow.

University of Alabama at Birmingham administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.