Birmingham, AL
University of Alabama at Birmingham

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Alabama at Birmingham

DeMarcus

The University of Alabama Birmingham is very diverse and I love it. Growing up I went to majority minority schools and didn't have the opportunity to mix and mingle with of ethnic groups. UAB offers all of that and much more.

The only type of person that shouldn't attend UAB are people that aren't goal-oriented or like diversity.

Rebekah

UAB is best known for medicine. MD and nursing especially. We're also known for having a crappy (and now non-existent) football team.

I wish I had known how research-oriented this university is. It's an R1 university, and research is huge. That means great opportunities for students to become involved in research much earlier than other students, and in a much better institution.

Tierra

University of Alabama at Birmingham is the most diverse, top research university, a powerhouse, and a vital part of the state of Alabama.

If I could back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to apply for more scholarships. I am an out-of-state student at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and tuition is very pricey. As a high school senior, I applied for numerous scholarships but most, I was not awarded. Paying for college has become very hard for my family and I. Paying for tuition, as well as, daily necessities, such as food or school supplies, has even become a problem. Therefore, I now know that I should have applied earlier for certain scholarships and I should have applied for those of larger amounts.

The best thing about the Univerisity of Alabama at Birmingham is its diversity. The diversity of UAB makes everyone comfortable. You are exposed to many different cultures and traditions outside of your comfort zone which is good because once you graduate from college and enter the "real world" everyone is not like YOU. When you enter the work force or which ever career field you choose, everyone will not be the same, and graduating from UAB would have prepared you for this.

Shenique

Dear high school senior me, College is a place to finally embrace yourself. You no longer have to pretend to be something you're not because your "friends" don't accept the real you. By the way, you probably won't hear from anybody you went to high school with after the first month of college. Remember when you were going to apply for all these ivy league schools? You should've because you were smart enough and just as determined as anybody else. Don't put yourself down, you weren't just smart but you studied, neglected your social life and it paid off because you are going to make the honor graduate selection. By the way, I wish you would've used those scholarship lists and applied. Just because a person is smart doesn't mean that money falls in their lap. You have to apply against a thousand other qualified students. Even though there won't be a next time, have a plan A, B, and Z school choice; plan Z as in the plan when everything that could posibly go wrong will!!! Lastly, college is so full of freedom, enjoy it! With love, College You

The best thing about the University of Alabama is the location. We are in the heart of downtown so the possibilities for hangouts are endless. We also receive a passport book that guarantees students one free entry into museums, art centers, and historical sites to learn a little bit more about the rich history of Birmingham. There are pleny of places to go in walking distance because the school is surrounded by so many business and food places so you never run out of things to do.

The worst thing about the University of Alabama is that they don't have a payment plan for students who are struggle with paying the expense of college out of their pocket. Sometimes life gets tough and many situations may affect a family financially.

Danielle

My school is Career-focused, goal-oriented, and a well diversed university.

My school is Career-focused, goal-oriented, and a well diversed university.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself three pieces of advice. The three pieces of advice I would give myself would be to study harder, apply for more scholarships, and to focus on my goals and aspirations. The first piece of advice would be to study harder. By studying harder, I could have made better grades my freshmen year in college, which would have allowed me to earn more scholarships and helped to better prepare for med school in the future. Studying harder would have given me the work ethic required to become successful in every aspect of my life. The second piece of advice would be to apply for more scholarships. Applying for more scholarships would have made college a smoother experience. By applying to scholarships, the cost of tuition would have drastically decreased and would have elimated the struggle and anxiety that is caused by student loans and debt. The third piece of advice is to focus on my goals and aspirations. Being career-focused would allow planning for my future and would give peace of mind when the goal is completed.

My school offers opportunities in achieving real life careers and excellence in every disipline. The academics at UAB are supreme and the students strive to maintain high GPAs.

Em

During my senior year, I felt so hopeless that I couldn't even bring myself to be excited about moving away for college. Being at the end of a toxic relationship that ended up terminating most of the friendships I'd had since middle school, not being able to be out as queer to my parents, and struggling with an ED, it was hard for me to see past all the bad that was in front of me and look forward to a future of endless possibility. If I could go back in time and tell myself one thing, cliche as it sounds, it would be to let myself know that things were going to become so indelibly great that in a year's time-- that I'd be a completely different, wholly better person with goals, accomplishments, and a great job at an NPR news station. While I know none of this ever could've happened if it wasn't for the long road that brought me here, if my high-school self had even had an inkling of how great things were going to be, I think I could've saved myself a lot of trouble.

I wish I'd known that slacking off is a downward spiral-- keeping the dedication and passion that you feel on day one is totally crucial to doing well.

At least in my first year of school here (other than adjusting to the stress of college, of course), my experience at UAB has been practically flawless. If I had to pick one downside, however, it would definitely be the tuition hikes that have resulted from the unecessary rebuilding of perfectly good facilities. Although the development and creature comforts that UAB has to offer are really great, we could definitely do without if it meant a more affordable education.

What is unique compared to other schools is anatomy department. Compared to most they challange their students to the highest level. This class is considered the hardest class on campus. The amazing thing is the way they test your knowledge compared to other schools. Also by using cadavers we get an insight beyond the books what our bodys really look like once opened up. This also helps prepare us for when we enter into graduate school. We have an advantage by going to UAB once you eneter into Med school or Dental school.

If I could go back in time and give myself adice I would first tell myself to take school seriously. Finals are not a joke. They can change your grade drastically. The biggest thing I wish I could go back and do is make more friends and get involved. I think it is now very important to have lots of friends. By getting involved it makes college fun and rewarding. Grades are very important, but I have now learned to not study all the time. It is very important to take time and have fun. I do not want to look back and say I had no fun or made life long friendships.

The best thing about my school I would have to say is their library, and within the library the writing center. The writing center was amazing when I needed to use it. The school really trys to help students succeed when they have a weakness in writing. The people that work there are devoted to trying help you make a difference so we can do amazing things in our english class. They never juded you when it came to your writing. Even if it was the worst thing they saw they would just kindly say we should try rewording this.

The best way to describe my classmates is as follows: Diverse. The University of Alabama is one of the most diverse campuses in Alabama, and we're proud of it! Even though we are diverse we all get along very well and it enhances the college expreience because you learn so much from each other.

If I could go back to when I was a senior in High School and give myself some advise it would be to work on my organization and time management skills. In college, every time you turn around there's a new deadline coming up, a project due, and a test to study for. I would tell myself to go ahead and make a panner my best friend because keeping up with so much work for so many different classes is hard to do. I would also tell myself to learn to be more organized, to keep all my flash cards and notes from different classes, because you never know when you're going to need your old notes. But the most important thing I would tell myself is not to procrastinate. College tests are nothing like the ones in high school where you could study the night before and make an A. I would tell myself to start studying for any test atleast two weeks in adavance.

The best thing about The University of Alabama at Birmingham is that even though your almost dead center in downtown, when you're on campus, it still feels like a college campus with the benefit of having so many places to go to eat and visit with friends only a couple blocks away.

Tierra

From freshmen to senior year, I was a participant in my high school’s International Baccalaureate (IB) program. This enabled me with the opportunity to earn college credit through pre-college courses; if given enough credits, I could have entered my first semester of freshmen year at the University of Alabama at Birmingham as a second semester sophomore. Unfortunately because of the choices I made, I did not receive my IB diploma. By not prioritizing my time to study for my IB exams, this caused too low scorings on my exams to receive college credit and my IB diploma. If I could talk to my high school senior self, I would beat into my head how important it is for me to earn my IB diploma. I would stress myself about studying for those exams because now I’m retaking and paying money for classes I have already taken in high school. My high school self would know the expenses I have to pay now with being an out-of-state student and how getting my diploma would save me thousands of dollars that could go toward Medical School in the future.

The best thing is how rigorous the cirrculum is in the sciences.

I wish I knew how to campus looked before I came.

Arnasia

It is amazing how there can be so many cultures and races on my campus, but yet each group remains segregated to their own people and people very similar to them.

Hey Arnasia, it’s me…….well it’s you a year from now. I know you thought that high school would be the best time of your life. Newsflash, things seem to be pretty great the older you get. College is indeed as hard as you thought it would be, if not harder. Those classes you used to get by in by doing the bare minimum? Change those habits now before you go to college. College requires hard work, effort, and studying—just doing well enough will not work, and that top ten percent GPA of yours will suffer. Those assignments you used to do on your own? College changes your mentality about teamwork completely. It is impossible to make it through college without the help of a few, or a lot, of your classmates. “We’re all in this together” stops becoming a Disney cliché and becomes a true statement. You are going to be fine, and you will adjust just fine to the big university. As you move on to this next transition in life, move with poise, positivity, and persistence. Take a deep breath and fluff your hair—the next four years are going to be amazing.

Having extremely hard courses with very little social events to get away from the academic stress would have to be the most frustrating thing about UAB. Academa is very important, but as young adults it is very important to have fun and live the "college experience" not just the college workload.

University of Alabama at Birmingham administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.